“Great place to go with kids” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort

You added Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort to your Saves list
Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   75 Je Irausquin Blvd | Palm Beach, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
North Jersey
“Great place to go with kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

Before describing our stay, I'd like to being by saying a little about myself and my family. My husband and I are in our late 30s/early 40s from the Northeast. We have two small boys (3 & 6). We are not big drinkers, gamblers or partiers and we go to Aruba to relax. This was our third trip to the island and my father-in-law joined us. We also had a rental car so that we could make trips to the supermarkets and ensure that our kids had carseats.
The resort is very pleasant and has good amenities. There's a kiddie pool with a beach entrance, a swim-up bar, very nice pool, barbeque area, hot tubs, internet cafe, gym, large patio areas, gift shop with snacks/grocery items, 24 hour deli. The pool area is very pleasant and nice looking. It's not beautiful like the Hyatt or the Radisson in that it doesn't have winding paths and lush landscaping-- just pool and patio. For our purposes, this is a good thing because we want to be able to see our kids at all times. The PureBeach restaurant has a second floor which is used for timeshare presentations and unfortunately blocked some of our view of the beach. Higher floors may not have that issue (we were on floor two of the second building). The beach is beautiful and private compared to the other hotels in the high-rise area. In my opinion, it's the best beach of the high-rise hotels. I've walked from the Phoenix to the Marriott and gotten to see them all and most of the pool areas as well. The beach at the Phoenix is the least crowded and most private because there are no neighboring hotels. Having compared the Phoenix to the rest of the high-rise hotels, the most striking difference is the size and proximity of the rooms to the pool and the beach. At the Phoenix, the pool is literally steps from the rooms and since the pool area is not tremendously large, the beach is not terribly far away. In some of the hotels like the RIU Palace and the Marriott, the resorts are overwhelmingly large with the rooms that are very far from the pool.
I found the service to be very good at the Phoenix. The housecleaning is adequate but they don't clean the rooms every day. It seemed like the housekeepers picked up the garbage, replaced the towels and dishtowels but that's about it on a daily basis. The concierge was very helpful with making dinner reservations and answering questions and maintenance was very quick to come when we had an issue. We ate at the PureBeach restaurant one night and enjoyed it very much. The ambiance can't be beat since it's right on the beach and food was very good and reasonably priced since it's possible to get a very good sandwich for about $10.
Our room was great.. We had one of the larger one bedrooms on the second floor which means that our balcony was larger than most and not adjacent to anyone else's. There is a musty odor in the unit but one gets used to it rather quickly and having the a/c on seems to help as well. We had two bathrooms which were beautiful but the water leaks out under the shower door, one bedroom with king bed, flat screen tv, living room with pull out queen sleeper sofa, large flat screent tv, dining area, washer/dryer, granite kitchen with dishwasher, fridge, electric stovetop and a convection microwave oven. We cooked all of our meals except dinner and were able to make a variety of things to eat with the equipment that was on hand.
The location of the Phoenix was fine for us because we had a rental car. It's also possible to walk to the restaurants and casinos at the shopping centers and the other hotels. The closest casino is at the RIU ,but you have to walk up a steep driveway which may be a problem for some people. If you're looking for a lot of action/nightlife at the resort where you're staying, the Phoenix may not be for you but if you're traveling with kids, the Phoenix is a great option.

Room Tip: all the rooms face the beach and/or pool.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Merrimack, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

Just got back from Aruba, we vacationed there from April 3-8. My wife and I are very easy going people and it does not take much to please us. We are from the Northeast, and the ocean/beaches where I live freeze your ankles off when you walk in the water, so we had big expectations for Aruba. I have been to Honolulu so this is what I was comparing to. Next time, I will deal with the 12 hour flight to Hawaii and skip Aruba. The wind in Aruba this time of year was gusting at nearly 30mph all day long, you felt like you were getting sand blasted when you wanted to sit out on the beach. So we sat near the pool, which was nice, but come on, this was Aruba, I can sit by a pool any place, and forget getting a chair if you didn't reserve one by 7am. The hotel was alright. I felt they and the rest of the island were lacking in simple "service" expectations, like refills on drinks, getting the check when you are done eating, not getting syrup when you order breakfast ( happened at Salt and Pepper ) etc. etc. The rooms were nice, we stayed in room 621 in the new towers, no problem with mold or anything, the rooms do have a little mildew smell, but it was not that bad. The hotel is a big time share resort, you will get asked a few times about wanting a tour, if this is your thing great, it was not mine and I did not enjoy being asked while I was vacationing. The Pure Beach Bar by the main pool was ok, the staff cannot handle when things get busy, often bickering in front of you. The breakfast buffet at the Sunset Beach Bistro was alright, they had pancakes, french toast and an egg station and that was about it. Again the service level was not up to my standard and you were lucky to get refills on your morning oj. Maybe my expectations for Aruba were simply too high. I have talked with many friends who have gone and have had a blast, the one difference, they stayed at other properties. Senor Frogs and The Texas De Brazil steakhouse were highlights, great places, I would highly recommend them to anyone, as for the hotel, don't waste your money, stay at another resort, maybe an all inclusive, or better yet, go to Hawaii.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Derry, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

what a beautiful resort, so many pools, plenty of chairs, huge beach, a couple of daily activities, aerobics, games, etc. We were in the 2nd phase, very large rooms, granite kitchen, 2 full baths, however, the furniture is old, smelly outdated, rust on the cushions
of the sleep sofa, which needs to be replaced in every suite we talked about, or looked at
for a timeshare. Maids give you towels, you do the rest, or pay an extra big hunk of $. for
washing the dirty tile floors, or sweep, vacuum. However, I didn't go to have a musky smell on the furniture or in the entire place which guests commented on. Its time for new sleep sofa's or a huge covering so you can sit if in bathing suit, and not have it be stinky.
2 weeks and the floor wasn't washed in the 14 days, although we are told it is before
coming.. Not so, feet were very dirty, and it was obvious it had NOT been washed.
glasses in bathroom had not been changed out the whole weekend.. Maids usually
get a tip of 5.00 and when they are off, someone drops off the towels, and empties
your trash. you wash the dishes, clean your counters etc. it's a towel delivery service.
Pure Sand lounge and Sun Splash bar drinks very watered down, or very low alcohol
content, and everyone notices it.
Towels for beach, threadbare, old, and faded. but you would think they were the grandest that money could buy. NOT. at the towel hut, no card, no towel..
The tower has great views but is so worn out it needs a total makeover and elevators are on and off working.. The internet was done for 9 of the 14 days, and you pay
50. a week to use. 3 times they had to refund our fee.
staff courteous, but it's all about the timeshares.
Yes, we will go back, and I'll immediately ask for sleep sofa cover for the dirt,
and fabreez for the stinky smell, because the resort is lovely.
As a professional, I'll overlook the old brown ugly useless furniture in the world wide
Divii and think how nice it would be to be at the Hyatt.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

Although I must agree with other reviewers that the rooms, even in the new building, had a strong musty smell, there were a lot of great things about this hotel. We stayed in a brand new spacious, very comfortable one bedroom suite. The beds were comfortable. It was quiet and we all slept well. Although the hotel is next to some of the more crowded high rise hotels, the beach for the Divi, was very private and quiet. I am an open water swimmer and loved the quiet cove, free of boat traffic to swim in. The other high rise hotels next door get a lot of boat traffic and also get a lot of locals and visitors but they do not seem to make the walk to the Divi. I also loved that the hotel was a little smaller so you did not have to get up at 6 Am to reserve a spot on the beach. It never felt overwhelming as some bigger resorts can get.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

We absolutely loved our experience here. Excellent value for the money, espeacially if you are travelling with kids. My husband and I tried it out for March Break ourselves and were so impressed we are returning in the summer with our daughter. We stayed at the Riu last year, and I found our experience this time far more superior. We walked the entire boardwalk and found the pool, beach, and grounds equal or superior to many of the resorts. This is the first time on vacation that I did not have to get up at 5:30am to reserve a palapa or pool spot.
FOOD: We went to Ling and Sons and stocked up on food ( for breakfast and lunch) and tons of alcohol for $250. Bring a cooler, pour you own drinks. If you get hungry and don't feel like making sandwiches, the Pure Beach Restaurant offers reasonably priced food to satisfy your appetite. We went out to dinner each night and had the most spectacular time. I recommend Texas De Brazil. Skip Ruth and Chris Steakhouse ( overpriced).You can swim in the pools and jacuzzis all night. There is a bus you can take which is very good, but next time I think next time we will rent a car. The room was absolutely beautiful. Make sure you get the one bedroom in the New Tower. I am a five star sort of gall, and we always do all- inclusive, but with a child it gets $$$$$. The Divi Phoenix is a perfect solution which does not sacrifice 5 star amenties while remaining affordable for families.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

After reading many hotel reviews on trip advisor, I finally settled on the Divi Phoenix. I was not disappointed. Stay in the new remodeled beach tower. We had a one bedroom. For the value it is great. You can walk along the beach ( on a walkway) to all the other hotels and restaurants. Get up early to claim your spot under a thatched hut. 5:30 AM and they unlock the chairs at 6AM.The most beautiful time of the morning. 24 hr coffee shop. Wireless at beach,too.Very family friendly.So accommodating and nice. Would go back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

Recently was there for Spring break!! Divi was great! I particularly loved the location of this hotel as it's centered between the more bustling hotel area and restaurants (10-minute walk) and a short bus ride to the downtown area with great shopping and restaurants. When we arrived, we were told we would only be in our room for one night, then they were moving us to another room the next day. A small inconvenience, but totally worth it! We were moved from the tower (oceanview, but a bit older), to the new building (overlooking the pools and the ocean). Lovely room with kitchen, granite countertops, large bathroom, jacuzzi. Very clean, comfortable bed, modern appliances. AC worked perfectly fine. Staff was really friendly (love Crisienne at Pure Deli), Jonathan at the door and the poolboys were friendly and helpful (Julio was especially helpful). There were plenty of cabanas (and a few umbrellas as well), but you must be outside super early to get the best picks of the cabanas closest to the ocean. Just leave a beach bag and some towels by your cabana. Everyone is very respectful of your space. Then go back to bed until ready to come down to the beach! We liked Pure Deli for breakfast and lunch, and the prices were very reasonable. Pure Beach for lunch was fun. There's a swim-up bar, so you can have lunch while sitting on a bench by the counter in the water. Or you could eat at the tables with sofas which was nice. Beach is clean and wasn't overcrowded. Lovely and well-kept grounds. At night, we usually walked about 10 minutes to the other end of the large hotel area, and sometimes even without reservations, we were able to be seated at fine restaurants within a half hour or so. There was plenty of nightlife -- senor frogs, confessions, chino latino, for after dinner dancing and hanging out, and the shops and kiosks are open until pretty late. Walking back late at night we took a bus ($2.30 pp) or cab ($9.00) back to the hotel. Really great value. Loved the Divi Phoenix and can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort? Share your experiences!