“Changes...” 4 of 5 stars

Free Parking
Surfside Beach, South Carolina
“Changes...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Aruba has changed in the last ten years or so. It has experienced dramatic economic development. There are many more stores, more houses and more tourists...but one thing that has remained constant is the accommodations provided by JW Marriott. The Marriott complex is large. It too has grown with both timeshares and hotel rooms to choose from. Each area has its own pool/pools and restaurants. Our room in the Ocean Club was bright, airy with a full kitchen, and a wonderful view of the pool, beach and ocean. The wifi is provided, which made our granddaughter happy, but it did not extent to the beach-curses! The balcony was a great place to relax and unwind. Tikis were available on the white sand beach. The first few rows were rented ($), but if you were content to sit back a bit, the shade and the view were free. The pool and the swim-up pool bar were attractions in the later afternoon hours as the sun began to set. Marriott provided a number of activities including yoga, zumba and daily bingo, as well as live musical entertainment. There were some downsides. Of course we ate out for the majority of our meals. We tried several of the Marriott restaurants, as well as other establishments close by. I can honestly say that we didn't have any meals that we felt were 'special.' The food was just average everywhere (with the exception of the coconut shrimp appetizer and the fish tacos at Champions). The drinks were overpriced and sported very little alcohol. And should you make the mistake we did and purchase some food in the Marriott convenience store, be prepared for sticker shock. Special K-$11.25 !!! I would suggest listening to the locals suggestions and heading away from the resort to find your dinners. The casino is the one 'smoking area' in the hotel, but the smell permeates the whole first level. For me that was particularly annoying and the smoke made it unlikely that we would ever gamble there. And finally there was a mystery noise in our room. It sounded like furniture being moved, and with tile floors that was a possibility, but the sounds occurred at such odd times that furniture shifting didn't seem like the answer. We never did solve it. While there are now a full compliment of jewelry stories in the shopping center near-by, the better prices are still to be found downtown. Aruba is still a wonderful place to kick back and relax. There is nothing like that constant 84 degrees and soft breeze. And Marriott provides a good destination resort, but it does have those areas noted above that could be improved upon.

Room Tip: If you stay in the Ocean Club be sure to request a pool view, and the higher floor the better for th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

592 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

My wife and I had an excellent stay at Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club during the last wk of May. We were told that the busy season in Aruba is between December thru Easter, so May was actually a great time to visit with less crowd. We got a Studio suite (we did a lock-off exchange)on the 5th floor (6th is the top floor) and we had a good view of the ocean from our balcony. It was just my wife and I, so the Studio suite was big enough. It includes a sofa bed that sleeps two. Pls note that the Studio suite does not include a bath tub (just a shower, but very roomy + two sinks). I found the hotel workers friendly enough (perhaps my expectation was too high) and helpful (I wasn't blown away by them). We ate at Champions (sports bar with lots of TV screens and great fish tacos!) and Ocean Cafe (great coffee and breakfast sandwich). If you want to eat at Simply Fish (ocean view dinner w sands between your toes), you better book early! We didn't go out to the beach or use the pool early part of the days, so finding a palapa during the late afternoon was not a problem and the pool was never crowded during the late afternoon. There's a towel station for pick-up/drop-off, which was easy. Wi-Fi in the room worked fine. There is also a front desk personnel to help book all types of excursions. We did the afternoon snorkeling and snuba with De Palm Tours for 3 hours. Snorkeling is definitely worth it, but not the snuba (which is additional $50). But eat something before you go - the food they provide is terrible (hot dogs (I think) and sub sandwiches).

Two other Marriott hotels (Surf Club and Resort & Stellaris Casino) are connected to Ocean Club. We ate breakfast at Lobby Cafe at the Resort & Stellaris Casino (it has a great lobby and bar with live music during the evenings). We also won few extra $$ at the casino playing the slots.

We didn't rent a car and that was fine. The cab ride from the airport to the hotel was $25. The cabs in Aruba do not have a meter. They have a set price depending on distance. So, my recommendation is that before you hop in, ask the driver how much it will cost. We also took buses, which cost $2.30 per person each way. We even took it to downtown bus terminal.

Ocean Club is in a great location. You can easily walk to the strip with shops and restaurants. It seemed like people came out during the evenings when the weather cooled down.

No one told us, but the best part about Aruba was the food! We did not have a single bad meal. Aruba should be known as a foodie paradise! I'll just list the places we went and you can read about them right here in Tripadvisor (we used Tripadvisor app during our entire stay). Here's my list of recommended restaurants: Gostoso (Portugese flavor); Taste of Belgium (Belgium waffles and Belgium beers!); Linda's Dutch Pancakes and Pizza (oh, those pancakes... still thinking about them); Cafe 080 (local dive); Bavaria (German beer and food!!); Smokey Joe's (ribs... yum); and Ventanas del Mar (located at Tierra del Sol Golf Resort).

I read a lot of reviewers saying that everything is expensive in Aruba. I disagree. Perhaps this has a lot to do with me living in Los Angeles (paying nearly 10% tax), but I completely found prices in Aruba reasonable.

We had a great stay and we'll be back here again for the food... and we'll be staying at Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club for sure.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed 5 Nights at the Marriot Ocean Club in Aruba. The staff is very friendly and helpful, as soon as my girlfriend and I arrived, we were upgraded to a room with an Ocean View. The pool is nice and clean, just not that big. There are 2 other Marriots on each side of the Ocean Club, the Surf club and Stolaris. I thought the pool areas at these two resorts were better than the Ocean Club and it would be nice if the Marriot allowed all their guests to use all three hotels and pool areas, but they don't. All in all, great stay, good people.

Carterville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The Marriott Ocean Club rarely disappoints. The rooms are spacious, clean, well-decorated, in good working order, and the staff is friendly. The bed was comfortable. The linen's are not luxurious, but adequate. The towels were in good repair, but "scratchy"/not soft. I appreciated this attribute when I got a sunburn, and was resisting the urge to scratch it. It's not as crowded as the Marriott Surf Club, (we own there as well-but don't go there because it's too crowded for our taste/it's not the atmosphere we're looking for.) The pool and grounds are meticulously maintained, although we prefer spending most of our time at the beach, under a palapa. There are shops on-site selling beachwear/summerwear, and trendy decorations, make-up/perfume, as well as a (very) little grocery store that also carries typical items you might need like sunscreen, pain-relief, cotton swabs, etc. There's an icecream/pastry shop, too. The La Vista restaurant has a good selection, tasty food, and pleasant staff. There's a sandwich shop on-site/poolside that is very generous with their portions, and our favorites happen to be the grilled grouper and club sandwiches. The poolside bar is pretty pricey for us/to our way of thinking, but they do have "specials" and "happy hour", $15 for two ~ 8oz frozen concoctions. (please note, that IS the special at happy hour.) During the week, they had a special @ $5 per 8 oz frozen concoction. Ruth Chris is on site, and it's a "must visit" for us while we're there. There's plenty of restaurants, water-action/adventure activities, spas, shopping, gambling, tours of the brewery, aloe farm, and butterfly farm, and other sites of interest nearby/walking distance, or a short bus or cab ride into town or you can rent a car. The shopping experience in town includes the great designers at the mall, and then there are the little shops along the road where you can purchase the typical, cheap souveniers that become tomorrow's yard sale items. Once you arrive, you'll want to go food shopping. We recommend Ling's for their great selection and quality items. There's a new supermarket we didn't try this time, near Ling's. I think it's called Super Food. If you go, let us know how you liked it ;) There are too many great restaurants to list! Check them out here, on Trip Advisor. If you have your heart set on a sunset dinner cruise, -don't wait- to make reservations. The power went out for a couple of hours, which affects the air-conditioning of course, and this has happened before on a previous visit. So, if you don't have one of those little flashlights on your key ring, you might want to get one. Although the power was out, the elevators were still operational. Getting a room with a great view, even as owners, is dependent on availability at the time of your arrival. Luckily, we don't spend a lot of time in the room, so, it's not such a disappointment if other's have a better view than we do. We do try to get a room as high as possible, and avoid the southside because of the hot afternoon sun. Regardless of when we stay, how long we stay, and what we do (or don't do), we're always sad to leave. Aruba IS One Happy Island, and the Marriott Ocean Club is a terrific place to stay. We think you'll like it, too.

Room Tip: The higher up, the better, for the view. The first floor, poolside, doesn't have enough privacy...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I’m a Marriott Vacation Club owner and exchanged my points for a week in Aruba at the Marriott Ocean Club. This was my first trip to Aruba. Weeks before the trip Marriott sent an email requesting preferences. My preferences were for a room on an upper floor away from the noise of the pool.
A week before the trip I received a call from Marriott about sitting for another 90 minute sales presentation. The caller tried real hard to get me to attend, but I was not going to buy more points so I did not want to waste the salesperson’s time. When I arrived I was giving a first floor room overlooking the pool, the exact opposite of my request. I can’t help but feel this was Marriott’s way of getting even for not attending another sales presentation.
My wife and I found Aruba to be a very enjoyable and relaxing vacation. We were not looking to do the tourist things just lay on the beach and relax. Some tips:
We rented a car. I saw buses and taxies, but I also saw people waiting for both. It’s my vacation and I prefer to come and go as I please without waiting.
The Marketplace, Marriott’s convenience store, is located in the Marriott Surf Club. Very expensive a ½ gallon of milk was $8.00. There is a Super Food only 3 Km from the hotel. Super Food had an excellent selection; prices were posted in US dollars. There was even a liquor store and drug store (sunscreen) in the Super Food.
You can reserve a beach hut the day before $15 a day. The other option is the towel hut opens at 7:00am and beach huts not reserved are available on a first come basis. I went down each morning between 7:30 and 8:00am and had no problem getting a beach hut for the day. Granted it was not in the first row by the water, it was row three but still a good location and free.
We ate at ‘Passions on the Beach’ one night. The restaurant or tables and chairs were right on the sand beach. The food was very good and my wife still tells everyone about eating on the beach.
The day we were leaving we found the Petit Café for breakfast. They had an American Breakfast (eggs, bacon, sausage, home fries and toast) for only $7.95. The restaurant is not too far from the resort and a good option if you have a later flight because check-out is 10:00am.

Room Tip: I was told I selected Ocean Front, but any roon at the resort like ocean view would have been accept...
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

In order to get a decent room I had to tip the front desk $60.00 even when therewere many vacant nice rooms with great views. Then when I gave the front desk my debit/credit card after 2 days they chased me down to say they could only accept credit. On Friday before check out on Saturday I was locked out of my room by the manager who stated my credit card did not go thru even though the charges appeared on my statement. Friday I was locked out of my room and security stood by my door until I went to front desk to clear up the problem they had created. My friend paidhalf of the $400.00 charges on Friday morning yet I was billed for nearly $300.00. The front desk mgr soki never apologized and kept saying it was a system error. I felt I was treated like a second class citizen and have been coming here for years for my birthday. No one ever apologized to me or my friend who has owned here for 11 years. This is my last visit to this Happy Island. Ocean Club definitely does not follow the happy island philosophy. And today is my birthday. 5/31/13

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club is an oasis tucked away in Paradise. Aruba is an amazing place for rest and relaxation. Our villa was a 1 BDRM on the 4th floor so we had a very lovely view from our balcony that overlooked the ocean and the property swimming pool. Villa was equipped with a full kitchen and a LR w/ a sofabed, tv, cd/dvd player. Clock radio in the bedroom was a bit outdated but we always travel with our own external IPod speakers so no issues. Everyone was friendly and quick with a smile. Absolutely beautifully pristine beach front property with a solid onsite restaurant for lunch in the Pavilion. We enjoyed every minute of our all too brief Memorial Day visit.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool side will hear the daytime music (only open until 7pm) coming from the activit...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club? Share your experiences!