“Very good if timeshare is your thing” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rewards Members Save 20%
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
rochester, ny
“Very good if timeshare is your thing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We generally do not like the densely-populated high rise area of Aruba but rented a unit thru Redweek.com because relatives were staying there. That said, the units are very nicely appointed and staff was friendly and accommodating. Expect families with kids but it is not nearly as obnoxious as the even more crowded surf club. This place is not for you if you crave peace and quiet (we love the Bucuti!) but is fine for families with kids. There are no laundry facilities in each unit but there are free laundry facilities available on the floor. I don't see how it is financially wise to buy one of these units with the high maintenance fees, unless you buy at a discount on the secondary market.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed here for a week with my wife and 8mo old in an ocean view studio. The kitchenette included a small fridge, sink and microwave. No range for those who like to eat in some times. The hotel itself is very clean and has really nice grounds. If you want to rent a free hut for the beach you have to get to the towel stand between 7 and 8 am. You can pay 15 per day for a reserved hut but there were none available when I went.

The Ocean Club, Beach Club and Stellaris are all on the same grounds and you can use the facilities in each although if you are in the Ocean Club you can not stay in the Beach Club Pool which I think is a larger and nicer pool. Although they can only identify you by your towel color so just bring your own beach towel and enjoy the other pool. The pool/beach menu is pretty pricey. Expect to pay about $10 for drinks and about $20 per most food items. A hot dog is $10. The 14" pizza pies are about $20 but can feed two people.

Palm beach is nice but overcrowded. If you want a beach with nicer sand, bluer water and less people go to Eagle beach which is a 5 min drive away. Huts are first come first serve so go early.

The 3 major shopping areas in Aruba are just a 5-10 min walk away. You can get there by walking down the beach and exiting through Holiday Inn which is the next resort down. If you're a meat lover I highly recommend Texas De Brazil. It's pricey at $45 per person but they have 16 different types of perfectly cooked, never ending meat.

The California Lighthouse is just a 10 min drive away and is a must do for picture taking. Theres also an Italian restaurant next to the lighthouse with breathtaking views of the island. You need reservations if you want to have a sunset dinner on the veranda.

Room Tip: Get a room on floors 4 or 5 if you don't want tree tops obstructing your ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We were there Jan. 18-25th. This was our 3rd time staying at the Ocean Club over the past ten years. The staff are always terrific, polite, and helpful. The room was well furnished and stocked. had simply an efficiency unit. Keep in mind that these are timeshare units not hotel rooms and hence there is not daily maid service unless you want to pay extra.we were there for the NYC crowd and that was not the greatest experience. To counteract we spent time on the beach at the hotel as well as down to Eagle beach for two days. Great meal at Ruth/Chris as well as a place called Pinchos (highly recommend both). Aruba has grown into a type of location that more resembles a USA tourist spot as oppose to a Carribean island, too bad. If I want a USA type experience I will vacation in the USA, but that is not what I am looking for and for that reason I will not venture back again for years to come. As far as the Ocean Club goes it is great and could not ask for more.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

As an owner of a Marriott resort, I made the reservation to stay at the Ocean Club. I got a very nice two bedroom with a big balcony facing the ocean.
It is extremely convenient to stay there. It is located just beside the hotel and you can use its facilities, except the new private pool.
It has a well equipped kitchen and good size bathroom. The bathrooms do not have shower caps.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Finally they are getting it right at the Marriott in Aruba. Ocean view really is an Ocean view. Beach was quiet, no loud Boom boxes and room to spead out. Safe, clean pool/rooms.
Only issue is the beach has leftover garbage from the lazy pigs who cannot pickup their drink cups or butts. You all know who you are.

Room Tip: Try to get the highest floor, no noise from above at night..Chairs make a lot of noise when moving...
Mystic Ct
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Our first stay at the Ocean Club.Arrived Saturday 1/5/13. We booked a two-bedroom Ocean View Condo, on the highest floor. We were given a 1st floor two bedroom over looking the pool bar and busy sidewalk. I was not very happy with the front desk clerk and demanded to be moved. She went to the back room for what seemed like a very long time and another employee came out to tell me that my travel agent did not put in the request, at which time I produced the confirmation which clearly stated our room request. He said he would try tomorrow or the next day to move us if possible. Which the next day we were moved to 3rd floor condo with a view. I'm happy now!
This property is very nice! Service is outstanding! Coffee shop in the lobby area is awesome the girls behind the counter...top notch!!
Beach is nice.....can get a little crowded, renting pallapas the way to go. Pools are also nice, there is a "quiet" pool and a larger pool with a swim up bar. Our condo was very clean, comfortable, well appointed and maid service was excellent.
If I could make a few suggestions to management....should have more servers selling drinks at the pool areas. The towels at the pool were of better quality than our condo.Elevators were painfully slow.

I would recommend this property to anyone! Its spotless clean.....even the public restrooms! Service is very good and the property is beautiful!

I'll be back!!!!

Room Tip: Higher floors a must!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I went with a friend to Aruba for "mommy break" 2012 to unwind for a few days prior to the holiday madness. Full disclosure: this was not the best trip ever, as my wonderful aunt died while I was down there and I had to cut the trip short. My opinion may be influenced by the negative experience (nothing to do with the resort).

This was my first time in Aruba. We chose it because neither of us had been and it seemed relatively safe. Pros: easy customs (you actually go through US customs in Aruba, which is really nice)/entry/exit, you can actually drink the tap water (desalination plant offshore), everybody speaks English (along with several other languages). Cons: I wasn't there long enough, but it didn't seem unique or special in any discernable way, unlike St. John, Provo, and even Haiti. No real culture - although I didn't try very hard. Just another tourist trap - should I go so far as to say the Myrtle Beach of the Caribbean? And that's not a totally bad thing but something travelers should be aware of. Also, the beach was sort of muddy mucky and the beautiful water was cloudy when I tried to swim it, but I didn't have time to explore beyond Palm Beach. Other beaches might be nicer.

The Marriott Aruba Ocean Club is part of three Marriott resorts on one property. It is a timeshare so beware to avoid the sales pitch or take the discounts and endure it (we ignored it and weren't hassled - probably b/c we weren't traveling with our husbands). As other reviewers have said, non-owners seem to be placed on lower floors - we were on the first, but I didn't mind. Lovely porch and view of the pool, nice ocean breeze. Our condo was lovely - two bedrooms (one a lockout so you can rent as one-bedroom or hotel room too), one with a king and one with a queen. Two nice baths and a full kitchen. Three TVs. Would be a nice set up for a family. We chose it so we could have some privacy/our own room but still stay together. I thought the price was very reasonable.

The property was well maintained. We were allowed to use the Surf Club pool (family scene) and the main resort pool (more of a party scene) but not the adult only pool, which sucked since we were on break from our kids. Pools are clean and good temperature, no real way to swim laps or anything though. Plenty of chairs and umbrellas with slow but full bar service on site. Bar staff was friendly enough. There were lizards (from tiny to gigantic) and birds everywhere and they were not afraid of people. I enjoyed them, but the abundance of large reptiles might creep some people out. On the bright side, it wasn't buggy at all I'm sure in part due to the wildlife.

Everyone has written about the beach and it is completely crowded with chairs/umbrellas that have to be reserved in advance for a fee or you take one at the back - we just used one at the back. I could still see the water/feel the breeze and it was closer to the bar/restrooms/pool, so that was a plus but there's no getting around that the beach was only so-so by Caribbean standards. You can only use the one associated with your resort, which was weird, since it's all Marriott. Also, there is a towel limit per day, which might be problematic if you have kids.

The things I liked about the resort were the staff was by and large very helpful. When my aunt died, I was a complete wreck and concierge was very good about calling US Airways, getting me on the next flight out, canceling my spa appointment, etc. There seemed to be a lot of resort "rules" with little flexibility, though.

There are quite a few dining options as well. I really liked the sushi in the main hotel. The breakfast buffet in the main hotel was way overpriced but at the pool by the surf club, they made a very nice omelette at a very low price.

The resort offered fitness classes each day. I didn't get to check out the spa, unfortunately. I also noticed they had water sports activities hut on the beach so it would be easy to schedule excursions. Went in the Casino briefly - that and the hallway of the main Marriott hotel were the only things that were smokey. I'm not much of a gambler but it seemed like a decent small casino.

Other things: cab to and from the resort to airport $30; cab into town is $11 each way, but town was just a lot of shops (and not really "duty free" since they have a very low sales tax). As best I could tell, the regional cuisine is Dutch - I think a lot of heavy, cheesy dishes. There is also probably great seafood, and they were unloading fresh tuna from a boat to the restaurant we stopped at in town.

The resort has a very small market Tuesday and Thursday evenings at the Surf Club - got some nice stocking stuffers for my kids. I liked the vendors, as they weren't pushy at all. Also, the shops in the Ocean Club were nice - not cheap, but also not too bad in terms of typical Caribbean resort prices.

All in all, I would recommend the Ocean Club and probably the other two properties, especially for families not on a really tight budget who are looking for a very low hassle beach vacation.

Room Tip: You can choose hotel style or one-bedroom or two-bedroom condo accommodations - two bedrooms would b...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club? Share your experiences!