“an experience” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: International, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Carte Blanche is a restaurant for foodies, people who are open minded for an exquisite fine dinning experience, without limitations. Carte Blanche features a 14-seat elegant bar in a relaxed and cozy atmosphere. The highlight of the restaurant is Chef Dennis van Daatselaar cooking right in front of you a 5-course Carte Blanche dinner known as a “chef surprise”. Alongside him is Maitre d’ Glen Bonset pairing wines and mixing premium drinks
Cornwall, NY
“an experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I had read the reviews of this restaurant so I was looking forward to this night. Many people at the Bucuti had tried to get reservations. Apparantly they are booked thru March 2014.

I am now at a point where I have had great food in many restaurants. Now I look for experiences. Carte Blanch is an experience. We were staying at the Bucuti, so this was as hard as walking downstairs from our room. The restaurant is one room, with a curved table. It seats 16 people. Make your reservations far in advance. I made mine as soon as they wood let me- 6 months in advance.
You are welcomed with open arms by Glen and Dennis. Glen is one of those people with a very wry, slightly risque sense of humor. He immediately learns your name and personally seats you and introduces you to your dining neighbors. The meal is 3 appetizers, one main course and then desert. You can do a wime pairing or not. I did not as I do not like red wine. My husband did and he thoroughly enjoyed the wine served (unlimited refills for the pairing!!- well I guess you can only drink so much!).
You eat what they serve. There is no menu. Although I normally don't eat meat, I was alright eating it for a special occasion. I did learn they will accomodate this as long as they know ahead of time. It started with a pea soup. I hate peas with a passion. I decided to try the soup- I ate the whole thing- it was so light, that the pea taste was perfect. The appetizers included, ceviche , shrimp, quail and chilean sea bass.
The main curse was braised ribs (fell off the bone). Of course there were accompanying vegetables and such- all very light. and two different deserts- one was chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, the second was an apple tart/pie with raisins and I think pecans. Both were excellent. .
But the best part of the meal was the banter between Glen, Dennis and the guests. There are people dining from all over and you get to know the people as you are dining. Glen and Dennis feed off each other so the atmosphere is light and friendly. Before you know it, four hours were gone and it was time to say goodbye. We got hugs from both Glen and Dennis.
Now I just have to wait six months to make my next reservation.
All I can tell you- if you have the money- go- and have a great time!

• Visited December 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
“Best Dining Experience Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I loved the entire evening. Glen was the entertainment, and Dennis was the genius chef. The evening was full of incredible food and people. My boyfriend and I joined with 12 other guests. We interacted mainly with the couple on either side of us. I enjoyed the limited amount of people; it allowed us to have conversations and get to know some other people visiting Aruba. We chose to do the wine pairing with the meal, and it was very good. The wine pairing involved more or less unlimited 3 oz. servings of whatever Glen selected for a particular dish. If you glass was empty, and on the placemat – he would fill it up again. If you want to take a break, you simply remove your glass from your placemat (don’t worry, you can put it back later). My boyfriend's favorite was the port with dessert - it was fabulous. My favorite dish was probably Dennis' signature ceviche, Glen paired it with a Mosel Riesling which was perfection. Each course was fantastic, I cannot rave about this place enough, and I highly recommend it to anyone in Aruba. We even had three locals dining with us! We will definitely schedule this in our itinerary next trip to Aruba.

Visited November 2013
Farmington, Missouri
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Dining at Carte Blanche was not only a wonderful dinner but a fantastic experience! Dennis and Glen are amazing. Our great experience started out after our reservations were mixed up (my fault, not theirs) however Glen was able to get us back in a few days later. The entire meal took over 4 hours, it was not rushed, we were able to enjoy each course and the wine pairing for as long as we wanted (Glen keeps your glass full until you fall off your chair). The ceviche was absolutely amazing and Dennis' apple pie is one of the best desserts I have ever tasted. Everything was delicious and it was one of the best nights of our time in Aruba.

Pelham, New Hampshire
“Great Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Our first visit to Aruba included dinner at Carte Blanche in the Bucuti resort. What a great dining experience. A chef and a host/waiter/matre'd/storyteller. Chef Glen kept the food coming, with a variety of appetizers any of which would have made a main course. The main course and desert was fantastic. Dennis kept us entertained while he matched wines with each course. The adults only, small setting just adds to the experience. Overall a great evening.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tampa, Florida
“Great food and a memorable evening!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

My husband and I love Aruba and had heard great things about Carte Blanche, however we are last minute vacation travelers so are never able to book far enough in advance to get a reservation (we went to Aruba in November and they were already booked through February). We had our hotel concierge call and add us to their waiting list and we were lucky that they had a last minute cancellation one evening.

The restaurant seats a total of 16 people at a semi-circular table/bar which makes for a nice dynamic among the group. All of the people who were seated with our group were vacationers like us, so it was nice to interact, get to know some people and to hear their recommendations on what to do, see and eat while in Aruba.

The food here is amazing. There are 5 courses (3 appetizer plates that include multiple items), one main course and one dessert. My husband and I still talk about the grouper ceviche (Dennis' signature dish) and the sea bass over risotto both of which are part of the appetizer plates. The wine pairings were unique and interesting. I didn't love them all, but found a couple of nice wines that I am tracking down back in the US. Glen does a great job on the pairings and has found wines that are not "everyday" finds from locations all over the world.

Each evening the seating is at 7pm sharp (all 16 diners are seated at the same time) and dinner lasted until 11pm. While it sounds long, the evening went by amazingly quickly. Between getting to know our dinner-mates, getting information on the various courses and wines and being entertained by Dennis and Glenn, the night was over at just the right time.

This was definitely an evening to remember and we are already talking about making sure we can get a reservation the next time we head to Aruba. If you have the opportunity to eat here and are a "foodie" or love an "experience" as much as you do food, this is an outstanding choice!