“Another Perfect Vacation at the Westin” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Resort & Casino, Aruba

Save Saved
You added The Westin Resort & Casino, Aruba to your Saves list
The Westin Resort & Casino, Aruba
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   J.E. Irausquin Blvd. 77, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba (Formerly Aruba Resort, Spa and Casino)   |
Hampstead, North Carolina
“Another Perfect Vacation at the Westin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My wife Monica and I visit Aruba every year...with this being our 10th trip. We always stay at the Westin and have NEVER been disappointed. The staff at this hotel is second to none and we travel extensively. The General Manager Richard Roy goes out of his way to make sure we have everything we need to fully enjoy our vacation. The ladies that run the towel hut Evelyn and Julieta are absolute sweethearts and really go out of their way to make sure you enjoy your day as you soak up the endless supply of Aruban sun.
This year we brought my brother and his girlfriend with us and they were amazed at how attentive and accomodating the staff is...especially on the beach. The beach waitstaff crew of Ricardo, Paula & Carolina were always checking on us and responded quickly to any request we had. But beyond just resonding they are friendly, good people that are a pleasure to know.
Lastly, if you need any help getting your beach chairs set up or moved don't hesistate to track Stalin he is yet another example of friendly, happy face at the Westin.
So if you are looking for a great vacation were you can simply just relax and be pampered the Westin in Aruba is a great choice. The rooms views are gorgeous, the sunsets are stunning, and the food on the island is second to none.
We are already looking forward to next year!!

Room Tip: Corner suites are large, have great double sinked bathrooms and walk in showers. If you can afford I...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob_Curtis, Manager at The Westin Resort & Casino, Aruba, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear OakleyBridget,

Thank you for writing such a wonderful review of the Resort and for recognizing so many of our great associates and managers. It is rewarding when our guests have a stress-free, relaxing vacation. Our associates truly make our guests feel like family and I will make sure that they are recognized for their efforts.

We can’t wait to welcome you back for your 11th visit.

2,288 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Polish first
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This hotel had some good and some bad hence why I'm giving it an average rating. Our flight got in early and check in is not until 3 so we were kindly told that "our room was not ready yet ". We dealt with it by going into a bathroom and changing out of our northerner clothing and leaving our bags with the hotel. When we got back promptly at 3 our room was still not ready but I glared hard enough to make the front desk person give us another room that was.

We went right to the beach after finally getting our room and the hotel does offer complimentary chairs and towels (some hotels obnoxiously charge extra). It's an extra fee for the palapas.

If you get complimentary continental breakfast you are in for a pleasant surprise. It's more of a full-fledged brunch open until noon. I had a freshly made omelette and home fries everyday.

If you need Internet access good luck! Wi-fi is ridiculously slow. I don't usually need to be connected but simple things like looking up an address or attempting an early check in on a flight becomes difficult.

Like I said, it's a mixed bag with this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
RRoyGM, General Manager at The Westin Resort & Casino, Aruba, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for the positive mixed with the constructive. We appreciate our guest’s feedback and always try to make improvements wherever possible.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This hotel is in a good location but has poor facilities which are greatly outdated. It is not Westin brand quality...think of it as an old hotel/motel. We love starwood and have always had a great experience in their brands - this was not up to par at all!!! The breakfast buffet feels more like an all inclusive hotel than the quality you would typically expect out of westin. The room and bathroom are old designs. We found ourselves in a crowded beach that seemed packed with guests. They have music in the afternoons which is loud and annoying....we could hear it all the way to our room on the 10th floor. We also paid for a spa treatment with facilities from the 80s...think of your gym locker in high school. During the massage I could hear loud Zumba lessons from the pool :-(

Room Tip: This is a very very old building with a poor rehab job...stay away from the elevator core rooms as y...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
I’m sorry to hear we did not live up to your expectations. You are correct that this is an older property built in the 70’s and is dated to that time. We have done renovations over the years and continue to upgrade rooms and public space every year. The breakfast buffet is usually one of our most praised areas and we do over 500 guests a day, the variety available varies slightly based on seasonal shipping availability of products, but is usually diverse enough to cover all tastes. I apologize for falling short of your needs, our staff will try to accommodate any request for product that we can get on island, please let us know if there are specific dietary needs and we will try to fulfill your requests.
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We were there last week, 15 of us. All was good except six of us got sick on something. We predict it was the ice perhaps. Zu Santiago did a great job with the kids! The beach and pool were great. The music was great too. The only thing missing in the pool was a slide. Usually Westin pools have a slide. The straw umbrellas (palapas) , were great. They protected us from the sun. The ocean water was cool in temperature. With the sun, it felt great. Getting around the island was no problem. It took us a few hours only. Overall, a good vacation, minus the sick days.
(Personnel were nice also).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Maria,

Thanks very much for the wonderful review of the Resort. I am glad that we were able to take care of your large group. Thank you for recognizing Zulayka, she is a wonderful, caring individual. I you’re your group returns next year, with even more people.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

First off, when you book two rooms at the same time months in advance requesting adjoining rooms because it is a family vacation why can't hotels accommodate? When we checked in we weren't even on the same floor, but they did some juggling and we were able to get rooms close by, the ironic thing was that one of the rooms was an adjoining room, so they did have them. The other room was beside the elevators which were the noisiest elevators l have ever heard. The rooms were clean, except for the balconies which could really use a wash. The staff was friendly. The beach was great and since I refuse to pay to use those umbrella things it was nice that you could still get free chairs to put under the big tree. Blossoms asian restaurant was really good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for writing the review of the property. I am sorry that you had issues getting connecting rooms. Please understand that with a large number of room types and various check-in and check-out dates it is a more complex puzzle than you would imagine, although we make every effort to do so. I imagine that you must have been here over our recent sold-out dates, which makes getting a connecting room even more difficult. In spite of the issues you had with your room type and elevator noise I appreciate your fair rating and for recognizing those areas that were exceptional.

Should you ever decide to return and again require connecting rooms please feel free to contact me.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I am an SPG Gold member so staying at the Westin for our first trip to Aruba was a no brainer. Our room was not available at the time of check-in so the front desk graciously offered us a room to stash our things until it was done. Once we got our actual room, 1738, we were left underwhelmed. Mostly with the bathroom. First, I noticed excessive amounts of dust in the light fixture. As if it wasn't cleaned for weeks. I then noticed it lacked the updated shower head the temporary room had and it was not attached properly. The entire fixture would move when adjusting just the shower head. What made it worse, the shower rod was bent and was attached to a piece of tile that was about to break off the wall. I felt this presented a very dangerous situation and complained the next morning. This is where things got much better and Starwood reminded me why I give them my business. We were immediately offered another room (600), smaller and on a lower floor, but facing the ocean which was a huge plus. The room was in much better shape and we enjoyed the rest of our trip laying in the sun tended to by the the great Westin staff. Many thanks to Front Desk Agent Dany for being so helpful and making sure my girlfriend and I were happy with the rest of our stay. I would stay here again, but with an emphasis on front/ocean facing rooms. The jr suits towards the back of the property have a mixed view of the ocean and a desolate/unfinished parking lot, taking away from the beauty Aruba has to offer.

Room Tip: Stay as close to the front of the property as possible, views are infinitely better.
Dear MrNoTravelGuy,

Thank you for writing a review of the property and also for your loyalty to Starwood and the SPG program. I am glad that Dany took care of your room issue and especially that he continued to monitor your stay to ensure that you left happy with the Resort and your stay. I am also proud that the rest of the staff impressed you as well.

We hope you return soon.

Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed at the Westin with a large company group. Overall, the hotel seemed okay although I will admit that I have stayed at lower graded hotels that had much better quality. We were in Room 522. Having worked at a Westin property in the 90s, I expect certain standards. What I do not expect is to find a balcony lock that doesn’t lock (although being on the 5th floor, this isn’t a huge concern for safety), a tub that looks like someone distressed it with a heavy chain as well as lacking a working drain, and rusty discolorations under the sink area. Our room was cleaned once during our three day stay (apparently our times in and out during the day didn’t coincide with the cleaning staff’s schedule). On the one day that it was cleaned, my used tea packet was not replaced (I had to chase down a cleaning person who looked at me like my asking for another tea packet was a huge inconvenience), and while all the used towels were replaced, only two were removed from where they were hanging leaving one dirty towel hanging on the hanger. Odd. The mini-bar in our room was empty and unplugged although that may have been at the request of our group leaders. The elevators were very slow. We wanted to start taking the stairs, but unfortunately, they seemed to be locked at the floor levels, so we were afraid we wouldn’t be able to get in on our desired floor. Also, the smoke from the casino was a bit overwhelming every time you stepped off the elevators on the lobby level. We heard from several others in our group that the palapas reservation system was very difficult to understand.

The beds were very comfortable and the room was fairly quiet even with the connecting door. The wifi was slow, but I typically expect that at hotels. It was free wifi, so it is hard to complain. We really enjoyed the fact that the resort is only a very easy walk to the Butterfly Farm. It was easy to get coffee from the coffee station outside BonBini and walk to the Butterfly Farm and sit and relax in the morning. It was also nice to have the tours pickup and depart from the lower level thus leaving the upper level free for guests checking in and out. It created a nice traffic flow.

I have no idea how much our rooms cost as it was all expensed to the company, but if they were typical Westin costs, and I had been paying them, I would have been a tad disappointed.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms probably have a less distracting view of the roof.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review of the Resort. I am sorry that you had housekeeping issues during your stay. Although the Resort has been completely full recently due to the groups that we have been hosting this should not have affected your experience. We are in the process of refreshing the guest rooms as part of a preventative maintenance program and hopefully we can get into all of our guest rooms and alleviate the issues that you mention.

I hope that you can return during a less busy time and enjoy the amenities that the Resort has to offer.

Director of Operations

Been to The Westin Resort & Casino, Aruba? Share your experiences!