“nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Resort & Casino, Aruba

Save Saved
You added The Westin Resort & Casino, Aruba to your Saves list
The Westin Resort & Casino, Aruba
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   J.E. Irausquin Blvd. 77, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba (Formerly Aruba Resort, Spa and Casino)   |
Boston, Massachusetts
“nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We spent 4 nights at the Westin in Aruba over the Easter weekend. The hotel is nice, staff is at all times friendly and professional. I think we only came across one or two staff members who were not nice, but overall everyone was welcoming and helpful. Checkin was supposed to be at 3pm, I think we got to the hotel around 1pm after flying direct with jetblue from Boston. So we grabbed some lunch at the poolside cafe which was delicious, but unfortunately when we went back to the reception area at 3pm the room still was not cleaned. By the time we were able to get into our room it was almost 4pm. The room was spacious and we got upgraded to a partial oceanview on the 15th floor. The only thing i would complain about is that the carpet looked old and both the carpet and the tile floors were dirty. Bed was too soft for me and woke up with back pain every morning. The room smelled like mould. But overall it was not a big deal. We only went to our room to sleep at night anyway. The pool area was overcrowded and it was tough to find loungers. I was not willing to pay for a spot on the beach every day. Pool was also crowded and some parts dirty, with leaves as well as plastic cups, bottles and trash. We loved the giftshop, they had everything we needed from snacks, drinks, toys, gifts to clothes and hygiene products. There are quite a few options for dining, we ate at the Blossom (Asian restaurant) twice and once at the Baci (Italian), they were both good. There are plenty of options to eat down the strip just minutes away from the Westin. We also got room service the last night which was fresh and delicious. Will go back to the Westin one day and stay a little longer.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bob C, Manager at The Westin Resort & Casino, Aruba, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Pinkie44,

Thank you for your review of the Westin Resort & Casino Aruba. I am glad that you had an enjoyable vacation. You were here over one of our busiest weeks, with Easter being a holiday in both North and South America. I am glad that we were stil able to provide you with great service and smiling faces. Typically finding a lounger or beach palapa is not an issue although the pool & beach areas were exceptionally crowded as most of our guests were traveling with children over that week you were here.

I am glad that you plan on returning. I hope to meet you then.

2,288 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Polish first
Sea Girt, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is an excellent hotel in an excellent location. One problem it has average service. For example we had valet car problems on 3 different occasions. In addition the maid service was so late on one day we told them to skip it and just change towels. On the other hand the service and the food at the restaurants was excellent especially at their high end restaurant Pago Pago.

Room Tip: We do not like to sit in the hot sun on the terrace in the afternoon. If you agree I suggest a high...
Dear Jim,

Thank you for writing a review of the Resort. I am glad that you had an enjoyable vacation but apologize that you had service issues. Although we have been very busy we should have provided you with the service that Westin is known for. Thanks for the positive comments on Pago Pago. It is a great steak and seafood restaurant.

We hope you return soon.

Crystal Lake, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Our second time back to the Westin, Aruba since our visit in 2010. I read some reviews on trip advisor before we came back and was a little scared that the Westin might have fallen into disrepair. This was not the case for us. Although the Hotel could use some updating, it felt clean and well cared for. As almost everyone mentions the staff is the best! This bare mentioning again and again if you have ever stayed somewhere where the staff treats you like a number or just a possible tip. These people are great.
We traveled with 2 of our kids, a teenager and a young adult. I shared my queen size bed with my daughter and slept GREAT. The beds are terrific. Make a note of the size of this bed when looking at other hotels, as most offer doubles, not queen size - so if you have to share and you also want to sleep, queen size is the way to go.
The pool is big and it's fun. Plenty of room for the crowds. You might even get lucky and see an iguana jump in and swim across! A volleyball net in the pool would be a welcome addition. More hooded lounges would also be nice. We weren't able to ever snag one of the few they offered.
Traveling with older "kids" I didn't pay much attention to the kids activities, but I did see sandcastle building listed one day, and we jumped in on the ice cream eating contest. We also looked forward to Bingo each day we were at the pool. Oh, and the water aerobics were also a fun way to break up a pool day! A drink at Happy Hour? Sure! I worked out today!
Speaking of Happy Hour - yes it was! A special shout out to Karen at the pool bar. She was a sweetheart. She learned your name and would make eye contact and tell you she would be with you in a moment. We never felt like we were just standing around waiting to be noticed even when the bar was very busy. And goooodd drinks. Yum. Can I have another "Aruba Blue" please?
The Westin does need more elevators, but I see by other reviews that the management is aware, so I'm sure this will be rectified soon. Sure it takes a while sometimes, but you are in Aruba - it's Island time baby.
It's not a super fancy place, but it has a great pool, plenty of lounge chairs, activities, a great happy hour and comfortable beds. I'd be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear superglb,

Thanks very much for the wonderful review of the Westin Resort & Casino Aruba. It sounds like you had a fantastic vacation and were well taken care for. I am glad that you enjoyed the various activities around the Resort and thank you for the volleyball net recommendation. I will look to see if one would fit in the pool. Your comment about us having queen sized beds in our double rooms is very relevent. Most resorts on Aruba have double beds in their double rooms and it makes a big difference when you try to sleep two to a bed.

Thanks for mentioning Karen and her wonderful attitude. I will be sure to recognize her.

Please return soon.

Marlborough, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We just returned from Aruba on 3/28. We stayed at the Westin for the week. The grounds are beautiful and clean and there was always a friendly staff member nearby to assist should you need anything. Everyone who works at the Westin maintains a professionalism that you expect but rarely see in this busniess. We loved the Westin but we did have one complaint. Our room smelled of mold and mildew and because I am sensitive to this smell we did complain to the front desk. They were kind enough to offer us another room but when we looked at the other room it too had that funky smell. The cleaning staff came up right away and either sprayed ar cleaned the carpet and it worked for the night. The oder came back the next day. Rather than ruin our vacation by complaining again we gave up just lived with it. I noticed the carpets in the hallways also smelled. We would love to stay at the Westin again but I think it might be time for new carpeting. Carol.

Room Tip: The view of the sea and the pool is awesome.
Dear Carol,

Thank you for your kind words about the property and the wonderful associates we have at the Westin Resort & Casino Aruba. They are truely the biggest asset we have and I am glad they had a positive impact on your stay.

We are ordering new air handler dehumidifier units for the Resort and have carpeting on our list for replacement this year.

We hope you decide to return to the resort to experience our hospitality again.

Wausau, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Our family stayed at the Westin in March and had a wonderful time. While the kids did not participate in the Kids Club activities, they loved the pool, basketball court and beach. We did a couple of off-site excursions and overall had plenty of things to keep everyone occupied. The staff was the friendliest I have ever encountered and took care of all our needs. Yes, the elevators are slow, but that is often the case at most hotels during busy seasons. We had a junior suite which gave us plenty of room for our family of four. The bathrooms could use some updating but I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Westin Resort & Casino Aruba. I am glad that you had a pleasant vacation and would like to return. Friendly people is what Aruba is known for and we have some of the finest examples at the Westin.

Please return soon.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This was our second time to Aruba and we choose to stay at the Westin. Yes its true the hotel is a bit dated, but the important factors are there. Clean rooms, clean bed linen, clean towels and excellent mattress, best nights sleep we have gotten in a while. Not to mention the staff at the Westin is superior in customer service to any hotel we have ever been too. Their attention to guests and our needs was evident every day and it was all done with a friendly and genuine smile. The beach area is also excellent and we were able to get a free palapa every day, and yes their beach area does get full during the busy season, but no one seems to have gone without a palapa on the beach or beach chairs by the pool. Other guests at the hotel we met and spoke to seemed to also be quite satisfied and generally happy with their stay at the Westin. If you are not going for the all inclusive, I would recommend at least purchasing their breakfast meal plan. Its priced right and the daily selection was very good, quality fruits and other breakfast items were excellent. We are already planning our trip back to the Westin Aruba in 2014!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are beach facing to some degree, as the hotel is angled in its position on the beach...
Dear OokieRamirez,

Thank you for the fantastic review of the Westin Resort & Casino Aruba. I am glad that you enjoyed the Westin service and our Heavenly Bed. Our housekeeping team is very dedicated and do not get acknowledged enough; thank you. It is gratifying that the customer service you received was the best you have ever encountered. Genuine is a good word to use when talking about Arubans; they are also very service oriented.

I am glad that you are already packing your bags for next year. Hopefully we will get a chance to meet while you are here. If you are not an SPG member please sign up. Our loyalty program is the best in the industry and good at any Starwood property. We also have a weekly cocktail party for SPG members, which I attend.

Marlborough, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Hotel was fair. Food was fair. Pool on the small side. Resort has all the usual amenities, nothing exceptional. Rooms are a good size, limited ocean views, mild mildewy smell that tropical hotels can sometimes have. Bed was too soft for me. We stayed from 3/28-4/2, Easter weekend, and were unaware that this is literally the busiest weekend in Aruba since many Latin countries vacation here for the holiday, which for them extends to Monday, so there were very many families with children. Hotel seemed to have a problem with elevators being overtaxed...we experienced multiple waits of 20 minutes or so for elevators, even walked down 5 flights after giving up, and had other guests walking down WITH THEIR LUGGAGE, since they were checking out. Beach was very windy and had lots of seaweed during our stay, which is unusual for Aruba. During much of our beach time a backhoe was clearing out the mounds of seaweed that had accumulated. In spite of this you can't beat the wonderful Aruba sunshine. Harold (the sushi chef in Blossoms restaurant) and Elvis (bartender near the pool) are exceptional at customer service. Other than that, the concierge and other help seemed uninspired and not very helpful, which I attribute to the fact that they were overloaded due to the holiday.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review of the Resort. I am sorry that your stay wasn't as exceptional as you would have liked. You are correct that the week you were here is one of the busiest, in terms of number of Resort guests, in the entire year. Lots of families, which tax all services. As you mention there was an unusual weather pattern in the Caribbean, which affected the wind and sea conditions.

I appreciate you recognizing Harold and Elvis. They are big assets to the Resort. We hope you decide to give us another try. Please reach out to me at robert.curtis@westin.com if you do and I will personally monitor your reservation.

Director of Operations

Been to The Westin Resort & Casino, Aruba? Share your experiences!