We had a great week at the Occidental Grand Nov 29-Dec 6, 2008.
Our room: Luxury! Clean, marble floors and a view of the pool and ocean. The mini bar was always stocked with Coke, Sprite, bottled water and the local beer.
Restaurants: Never a problem getting reservations in the restaurants if they were open. Not all restaurants were open on the evenings we wanted but were open most evenings. We thought the buffet was better than average. From breakfast to dinner the food was prepared well. Some drinks were not available.
The staff: EXCELLENT from check-in to check-out. The bartenders and restaurant staff knew our names by day 3. The lady bartender at the pool bar remembered just how we liked our drinks.
Casino: Disappointed with the slots. Half the slot machines were out of date so I played the tables and won a little. We walked the beach to the Marriott and played that casino. Went to the casino at the Riu but was stopped by Riu sercurity. He inspected our Occidental all inclusive wristbands and said "you are not guest of Riu. You can not come in".
Beach: Good location. Plenty of huts and chairs. I was surprised by the lack of beach service for a 4 star all inclusive resort. No attendant to sit up the chairs and the condition of the chairs. Chairs were stacked high and each morning we had to pull them apart. Found them still with the sand and dirt from the day before. No drink service to come by your hut. To get a drink we had to stand in line at the beach bar. The bartender at the beach bar was often alone and worked very hard to meet the demands of all the people waiting around the bar. I asked the girl at the towel hut for 2 towels and was told only one towel per person. Another day I asked another attendant and received 2 towels by giving my name and room number.
The pool: Large, clean, plenty huts and nice chairs. Pool bartenders also work hard to serve the drinks quickly. Gets crowded during the games, bingo and activities.
Entertainment: Evenings at the lobby bar had great local talent. A different performer each evening. Aruba has talent! The 9:00pm ballroom show was hit or miss . The dancers did the same dance to different music over and over. No drink service during the show.
I can't say enough about the wonderful staff. They made our week one of the best!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the legendary island of Aruba, the Occidental Grand Aruba Resort and Casino is an all-inclusive luxury hotel on beautiful Palm Beach. The Grand Aruba Resort features a casino, dining, bars, nightlife, water sports and elegant event spaces for meetings & weddings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Priceline, Otel, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Occidental Grand Aruba Resort & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Aruba Hotel Palm/Eagle Beach
- Occidental Aruba
- Aruba Grand Occidental
- Occidental Hotel Aruba
- Grand Aruba
- Occidental Grand Aruba Resort & Casino Palm - Eagle Beach