“A Value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Aruba

Save Saved
You added Occidental Grand Aruba to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Aruba
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 83 | Palm Beach, Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Special Rate
Rates From $ 186
Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
New York City, New York
“A Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Eugene the Restaurant Manager and Rinous our Server were awesome. Excellent Service!
A personable experience. Maryann Ally (Mi Amor) and Maureen, (Mi Dushi) who worked very hard at the Beach Bar were delightful. Delicious food and excellent varieties. Can't wait to go back.

Stephen - NYC

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (780)
Pembroke Pines, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Excellent reception staff/ Breakfast buffet was amazing and the service was great.
The restaurants had great food and great service. The rental agents are helpful and friendly also.
Dinner on the beach was amazing, the bar staff was amazing!

Room Tip: The Grand Concierge package is great so ask your concierge for beach view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Watchung, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

My husband and I stayed here back in May 2014 for our honeymoon. Our personal experience was not a good one. The room is not what we expected, the "grand romance" package was nothing but a pain. On vacation we shouldn't have to track people down and stress about our schedule. We could have stayed at work if we wanted that. The only part of the grand romance that worked out according to plan was the dinner on the beach. The breakfast in bed was almost 2 hours late. They proceeded to give my husband and I 1 glass of OJ, 1 cup of coffee, some fruit, and a muffin. Seriously? That's what we paid extra for?!? When I said something at the desk all I got back from the woman at the desk was "ok". The massage was supposed to be in room, then they moved the date, time, and finally wound up happening in the spa. The "gift" was a tshirt.

The "deluxe ocean view" was a view of the pool. The shower floor cracked while my husband was showering so half way thru our stay we had to switch rooms. When we complained all we got back was "ok". The food at the Italian restaurant was eh. The Mexican restaurant was beyond awful. (We left after our appetizers.) We had to fight for chairs at the pool every day. Breakfast was good. Lunch was nothing to write home about.

In short, spend the same amount of money and go else where. We will definitely go back to Aruba but we would never stay at the Occidental. It was such a disappointment and the lack of customer service was such a turnoff.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Alexander G, Manager at Occidental Grand Aruba, responded to this review, August 30, 2014
Dear Kristy N

Thank you for taking the time in submitting your review for the Occidental Grand Aruba

It saddens us to hear your expectation of our hotel where not met. I can assure you that the occidental is dedicated to providing an unforgettable vacation experience.

We would once again like to thank you for your review and ensure you that your feedback greatly helps us to improve our services. We would really appreciate if you could contact us at GM_GrandAruba@occidentalhotels.com to provide us more detail regarding your stay.

We hope you give us the opportunity to show you our improvements in a near future!

Management
North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

We just came back from our on week vacation at this hotel. We decided to take the Royal Club after we read all the reviews. However on our first day was terrible when they gave us a room facing the parking lot and facing the resort next to Occidental. Next day took me 2 hours of my day beach to move my stuff to another room. We were not welcome with any drink or fruit basket the first day as I heard they will do so as a Royal Club member. However the second day when I move to the other room we found a bottle of wine and 3 apples in a plate. To find a Palapa have to get up at 4:30 am almost everyday, by that time is when I find out workers of the hotel putting towels in the empty chairs at the beach. Then I though that is the reason why people that arrive at 7 am couldnt find a palapa. The chairs at the pool are terrible very old. Royal Club dont have the choice to get any better drinks at the beach. The food at the Royal Club Rest it is good but I would suggest more selection for breakfast. Last day of my 7 days vacation they dont let me in for lunch at the Palmas restaurant saying that my cover bath suit it was too short. However I saw a lady leaving the restaurant with the same short cover as me. Have to leave and take my lunch as every day in the other place that have hamburgers. Drinks in the room are more sodas and a cheap beer. Restaurants need at least fan the Palmas it is too warm at nights. Went just one night to the Italian Restaurant and it was good. Didnt try the others. A must if you are in Aruba go to Fying Fishbone Rest located in Savaneta it is approx 30 minutes far around 30 dollars each way but this restaurant worth the trip. Food is so good and the athmosphera here is so romantish. Make reservations for 5pm so you cant miss the sunset and take the tables in the ocean. Thanks to Sandra the manager at Royal Club and Veronica excellent workers. They help me out to resolve any problem I had there.

Room Tip: If you are in Royal Club second tower choose the even numbers they are facing to the Occidental and...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear MSS297

We would like to thank you for taking the time in submitting a review of our hotel.

First of all, we want to thank you for naming Sandra and Veronica and the good service they provided. However, we would like to sincerely apologize that your experience at our resort was not up to you expectations. We have noticed that your room category was a deluxe room, but you were upgraded to a deluxe ocean view. The construction of our hotel provides a partial view of the ocean from both every room. Some rooms overlook the ocean with the view of our neighboring hotel, and the other side overlooks the ocean with a view of the pool.

We are currently reviewing your comments regarding the quality of the food with our Food and Beverage Director and can ensure you that the necessary are measurements are being taken with the feedback you have provided to us.

We would once again like to thank you for your review as your feedback helps us to improve our services.

We sincerely hope you can provide us a second opportunity to showcase the changes we have made

Management
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in many resort both all inclusive and non all inclusive and I can honestly say this was by far the worst experience of my life. The first day I arrived I was so disappointed I wanted to call my travel agent to book a trip home. I did not do so and this resulted in having to complain about something very valid at least once a day to the front desk and the concierge with little ever getting done. I came with a handicapped person and was assured that this place was handicapped accessible but it sure as hell wasn't. To get to one of the restaurants we had to go down the freight elevator through and employee walkway and through the kitchen just to enter... Not acceptable. There is also not elevator access to the ballroom where they host the shows. I have also never stayed in an all inclusive where you had to pay for lobster or wifi or certain types of liquor thus reinforcing my point that this place was a waste considering the amount of money that you pay. My room was not nice half of the stuff did not work like the air condition or fridge ... I can keep going on moral of the story avoid this place wish I did

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Elaina A

We would like to thank you for taking the time in submitting a review for the Occidental Grand Aruba.

We, at the Occidental Grand Aruba, pride ourselves in providing excellent service and a unique vacation experience to our guests. We sincerely apologize that your expectations of us were not met. We can assure you that your feedback helps us improve our service.

I would once again like to thank you for your feedback and review. We hope in the near future you will offer us the opportunity to showcase the improvements we have made.

Occidental Grand Aruba Management
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Stayed at the Occidental Aruba back in May. Not a bad experience but the property could use some updating. The food was ok and loved the drinks. Location is convenient- shops, restaurants across the street. Would probably not return.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Hebei, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

We spend the entire vacation at the hotel we just fell in love with the beach and having a beach bar was so convenient. The restaurants had good food but where kind of difficult to book. Make sure you eat at the Zen restaurant the hibachi is very good.

Room Tip: Garden view room. They open up to the beach very nice
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Occidental Grand Aruba? Share your experiences!