“taken care of” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Aruba

Save Saved
You added Occidental Grand Aruba to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Aruba
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 83 | Palm Beach, Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Special Rate
Rates From $ 195
Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Baltimore, Maryland
“taken care of”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

booked a romantic 25th anniversary trip.got there and was sent upstairs for a private check in. This was nice , the warm towel to wash your hand,the glass of champaigne- however- it took much too long- and we were delayed at the airport due to the elections- so we were tired and hungry and wanted the pool. Paid for a room with a view- had to spend one night in the wrong room until our right room was ready. it was worth the wait- just beautiful and clean!The girls in the cocierege were helpful and apologetic. They said they would book any activities - but when asked they said they dont do that- we would have to book ourselves.Bellhops never brought up our luggage- I found it in the hallway so we grabbed it and brought it ourselves.Once this part was done- the rest of the trip was super!! Any issues from the past was a distant memory and we had fabulous memories for the remainder of the trip. Food was good- italian resterant was delish- Francisco was fabulous! Breakfast with Renaldo was like being at home- he was so friendly like being with your brother- who is very funny!! Loved to sit "oceanside".And he sings!! Lenny the lounge singer was phenomenal- we had romantic dinner on the beach and could hear him from the pool- played great!!Dinner on the beach- did not know we could special order our menu since we are not seafood eaters. Randy was very considerate and extremely helpful to be sure we enjoyed our special dinner. He took pictures,catered to our every need. He is a spectacular, professional and we totally enjoyed our time with him- wish him the best in all that he may do- he really made the evening special and ended it with a beautiful cake. Went on the ATV trip through the Aruban back country- awesome!!!Shows every night- the entertainment team is wonderful!! loved the raft to float around in the ocean- pool games/activities were so much fun.It is most certainly one happy island!! from people living to people visiting to people working so hard to make our stay memorable- which it is- can not wait to return!!!

Room Tip: stay above the third floor- it is noisy
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (765)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We went for a romantic vacation for four days in September 2013. The weather was 91 to 93 the entire time. There were not a lot of people during this time of the year but it was nice crowd for us. There was not a lot of participation for the night time entertainment. There were not a lot of children. According to all the reviews we signed up for the Royal Club for an Ocean View Suite, away from the elevator and the opposite side of the Hard Rock Cafe which played live music loudly into the early morning hours, but when we got there... the view was of the hotel next door and their pool and just a "peek" of the ocean. We went back down stairs to complain and we were upgraded after a lengthy conversation about how much money we spent not to have an actual ocean view, to a beautiful view in the Master Suite with two bathrooms, a dining room, living room and jacuzzi outside and inside. After that we really enjoyed our vacation as we could see the sun set from each of our three balconies in the room and the beautiful, clear, greenish blue water. The food even after making reservations was just "ok". Try to make reservations a day and half in advance or as soon as you get there because they fill up quickly. For Japanese request where they cook the food in front of you. The facility was clean and very well kept and the beach was very clean. Room service was your basic hamburgers and salad. The service was really good. We tipped just because of that purpose so bring dollar bills. Everyone spoke English even though there were four languages the natives speak. There was a bus right outside and for $2.00 each way we took a van to the other side for souvenir shopping. Right across the street there was a lot of shopping which was cheaper then on the resort. Also there was a McDonalds and Wendy's within walking distance and other restaurants right across the street. All the beaches are free so we walked down the beach and paid $20.00 for the water rides on the sofa shaped inner tube. We also took advantage of the one hour boat ride with the sail, up the coast which was a big highlight of our trip so we suggest that you take your camera in a plastic bag. Yes we would go back. When asking the natives which resort is best on the 9 mile by 16 mile island we were told the Marriott each and every time. We did not get a chance to go back and look for ourselves. We did not do any time share meetings and believe me they were every where! Wish we had booked for longer. B+M

Room Tip: Sign up for the Royal Club. Travel Experts 703-471-4800 will give you the best deals no matter where...
Hampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

this is the second time I have stayed at the Occidental Grand Aruba, the first in the Royal Club. What a great overall experience. the Royal Club staff is excellent and attentive. Unfortunately, there were families staying in the Club level as well with small unruly children. If you cant maintain control over your kids, don't subject other to it; i assume that you would expect the same courtesy and consideration of others. on the second to the last morning, the kids were so unruly that we went across the street at Salt and Pepper (tapas place) for breakfast.

When we arrived, the room was not quite ready so we had lunch in the Royal Club restaurant. The food was decent but not overwhelming. The staff was great, top shelf liquors in the Royal Club only. Other bars have a few top names but mostly, generic. Since we are Club level members we also had access to the First Club room on the second floor, munchies in the afternoon, bar opened all day. definitely worth while if you area timeshare owner.

The beach was cleaned every morning with generally plenty of beach seating. my only complaint is that guests would place a towel on the lounge chair and then not show up for hours. That needs to be addressed somehow by management. Similar thing happened at the pool. by my count there are about one hundred lounge chairs by the pool. They definitely need more. Again, guests would put towels on the chairs basically reserving them and then going to breakfast. The resort needs to either not allow this practice or add lounge chairs. There are several covered beds around the pool that, in my opinion need to be removed and replaced with lounge chairs. Could probably add another 25.

When we were there a couple of years ago, the food seemed to be of better quality. my wife had a fillet, that just tasted OFF. the waitress told us that was the second one that did not get eaten that night and that it really was not a fillet to begin with. Lamb chops were perfect, grouper was excellent as well as the Mahi.

In summary, I only have a couple of thing I would like to see improved,the food was average and there wasn't sufficient pool seating.

There was a beach bar and a poolside swim up bar. at the poolside bar my wife was ignored twice. The only reason I can surmise is that she was not native speaking as were the two the bartender went two first. The bar staff at these two locations seemed to have no personality and moved at a pace not consistent with the number of guests.

We did have our own Palapa (thatched hut) on the beach along with Giovanni the beach tender/bar tender, he was excellent.

Room Tip: if you chose a pool side room, get ready for music until about 1am.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Yonkers, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I traveled last week to the Occidental Grand Aruba...and there was nothing grand about it!! I have travelled quite a bit and NEVER have I been treated so badly. I traveled in a large group (14 women) and we were ignored. Check in was horrible - the staff treated us like we were not significant. If we had not paid in advance, I would have found another hotel to stay at. I finally check in - and the room was also given to another person, so they came in as I was coming out of the bathroom...undressed. I have never felt so UNSAFE!!!! The next day...there was a leak in my bathroom. The appearance of this hotel is that it is a great hotel, but IT IS A TERRIBLE HOTEL!!!

If you go there...be prepared to be treated as an insignificant person...they need to go back to training...because they SUCK!!!

The only thing that was worthwhile was the SPA...and they are independently owned.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
SocialMedia_Ctor, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Grand Aruba, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear TanyaW103010,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community. We are always concern about our guest’s satisfaction; we regret to know that we have failed regarding your expectations. We share your experience with our management and we assure you the necessary measures will be taken.

Despite this we hope you present us an opportunity to show you the level of service wich we are known. We are looking forward to host you again in the near future.

NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Hotel is tops. World Top 10 beach [Travel & Leisure], best all-inclusive food and employees who address you by name.

New beach policy fairly allocates palapas. Plus the contagious friendly culture has guests sharing palapas, if necessary, for late arrivals. Plenty of shade for everyone. Not the problem they have at other hotels on Palm Beach.

Food is tasty, well presented and plentiful. And it is far cheaper than outside restaurants, whether we walked or paid extra for a cab.

Staff acts like a concerned family. Everyone helps and if they don't know something they find a knowledgable person to respond. Recommendations for unrecognized "local" eateries and events, like Joe's Cafe, the Donkey Sanctuary, Diego's free Cirque style show on Thurs at 8PM at the Paseo Harencia shopping center are widely shared.

Professionals abound, including at the Mexican Rest. Doris and Juan; at the Italian rest. Armondo, Jose, Francesco, Roberto, Carlos and Pisan; at Habachi Elmo, Boy and Buschi; at Desires Andres and Louis-Ann; at the Beach Club Juan, Nataly, Sherwin, Dale, Pacito; at the Buffet Renato, Zotino, Techna, Eugene, Maria, Busche, Claudia, Patty, Marlena; in the First Club Ivette, Marolyn, Belinda and David; at the Royal Club Veronica, Hazel, Emily, Steffanie, Giovani and Melvin; and in Security Dionesia and Suzette. Hotel management, with Sandra and Lorena, does a fabulous job overseeing all personal and operations.

It is a wonderful hotel and a great value with the most incredible staff.

Hauppauge, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the occidental for our honeymoon, when we arrived it took us 45min for someone to acknowledge us standing at the counter to check in. Once we got checked in and went to our room it was not the room we paid for. We were supposed to be in a suite with an ocean view, we walked into a small room with a parking lot view.. We paid for a "romance" package which included things like a bottle for champagne when we arrived etc.. none of that was in the room they put us in. We booked our honeymoon over 6months before we arrived and they told us they were over booked.
It took us three days to get into the correct room, and once we did it was much better but the hotel is not well kept what so ever.. We ended up dealing with a lovely woman Veronica in the Royal Club and i will say, if it wasn't for her being so nice & helpful we would have left the day we arrived. She really went above & beyond to help make our honeymoon better then it started and it was greatly appreciated. Thank you Veronica!!

The food is okay, not bad for an all inclusive but we went out to eat outside of the hotel most nights.
Overall the trip was not what we expected at all unfortunately, we would never stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SocialMedia_Ctor, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Grand Aruba, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Jbean1124,

Thank you for taking the time to write and send us your review. We are really sorry because your stay didn't meet your expectations. We apologize for any inconvenience you might have encountered during your stay with us. We assure you that one of the main goals of our respective teams in all departments is to work on a daily basis to constantly improve. We shared your comments with our management and currently we are looking into ways to improve the service.

Despite this experience we hope to have a second chance to welcome you and offer to you the service and quality you deserve.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Many years ago I traveled to Aruba on a cruise and enjoyed my day downtown so much that I always wanted to come back and stay for a few days. I decided on the Occidental because my sister stayed there for her honeymoon in 2004 and enjoyed this hotel. Usually I stay at the Riu when traveling to the islands and I kind of wished I booked there instead. I had e-mailed the hotel a few weeks before I arrived because of the negative reviews about the cleanliness of the rooms in particular the mold in the bathroom. I am an asthmatic and did not want to have an attack while I was away. No one responded to my e-mail; however while waiting for our room from 12 until 4, Orsini who was the most concerned bellman kept checking about the hold up and finally was informed that I was an asthmatic and they were cleaning the room really well to make sure I did not have an attack. Well the room was somewhat clean because the bathroom still had mold all around the soap dispensers and the same strand of blonde hair on the shower wall from check in until we checked out.

This hotel is geared towards couples or older ppl. I am in my thirties and was traveling with a friend and we found it to be boring. We are not heavy into the party scene; however we found ourselves in bed by 10 each night because we were so bored.

I wasn't a fan of the buffet or the beach hut and found myself to be sick each time I ate from them. I think some of the travelers may have experienced this because the rest rooms by the pool smelled all to be damned. We ate at two specialty restaurants Zen and the Caribbean fusion and enjoyed both.

The drinks were watered down and the bartenders moved slowly. Word of advice, you should have straws that have a paper wrapper on them like we use in the States and have the bartenders rip the bottom part off only for sanitary reasons. I found myself trying to grab my own straws from the bar the whole trip.

Shoutout to Lenny who was the hardest working lounge singer we have seen to date. Lenny was everywhere! In the lounge, by the pool, we were expecting him to pop out of a stall in the bathroom or behind a potted plant! Lol..he was really good but geared towards the older couples who love to two step in the lobby.

Overall the hotel was not horrible, just not for us. I will not be returning to this hotel again nor would I recommend it to anyone that I know

Beware of the " welcome package". It's their sales pitch to have you purchase a time share and they try to get you as soon as you arrive.

• Stayed October 2013

Been to Occidental Grand Aruba? Share your experiences!