“Royal Club at Occidental Grand Aruba” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Aruba Resort & Casino

You added Occidental Grand Aruba Resort & Casino to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Aruba Resort & Casino
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 83, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Ranked #23 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
North Jersey, USA
“Royal Club at Occidental Grand Aruba”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I don't normally write about my travel experiences but this time I feel compelled to do so because of the fine staff of the Royal Club at Occidental Grand Aruba. After an initial glitch that was professionally handled by Veronica at check-in everything was just great.
The waiters and waitresses ( Melvin, George, Gerald, Ederlina, Perlita, Marianne, Lissette) are some of the most patience and hard working people I have met, they are friendly, attentive and always ready to serve your needs, management should be very proud of these individuals. I must say the food at the Royal Club Lounge as well as all the a la carte restaurants is much better than at the Palms buffet. As far as the claims of drinks being water down I did not find that to be the case at all.
I must say the only complaint I have is the sewage smell emanating in front of the Desire and Splash bar, it’s definitely a turn off.

Room Tip: You should try to upgrade to the Royal Club if you can afford it and ask for pool side view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (890)
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was our first (and probably last visit to an all inclusive). Overall we had a good experience but I attribute that mostly to the people we were with as well as the general great weather and beaches in Aruba.
We booked the Royal Club and I'm honestly not sure there was anything "royal" about it. We arrived around noon and they couldn't get us in until the standard check-in time (3pm). Not the end of the world though bc we just grabbed lunch in Royal Club (small menu, nice servers but unfortunate musty smell). When we did get to the room, it was nice enough and did have a small fruit plate & bottle of Merlot. I then tried to make a dinner reservation for that night and they couldn't get us into anywhere but the buffet... I thought one of the supposed benefits of royal club was priority at the restaurants? Guess not.
Overall the hotel is what you would expect for an all inclusive. Very family oriented (some who were quite annoying since they would let their children run rampant all day) and low quality food with inconsistent service. Also, everyone's complaints about the reservation issue for pool chairs and palapas is totally accurate. I wake up early so it was easy enough for me to get a chair but I agree that the hotel's management really needs to do a better job at enforcing their own policies.
In fairness, some of the workers and guests were very nice and we still had a great trip however
we've been to Aruba before and had better stays at both the Marriott and the Hyatt.

Room Tip: Royal Club: high floor, even number room (overlooking pool) and for Non-Royal Club: odd number room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Vacation duration was one week. Food and service was excellent everyone was great which made our stay amazing ! Awesome hotel and would go back! Italian restaurant was awesome bar service at pool was great as well. Friendly people around . They offer a great deal of activities . Check in and out was simple and quick

• Stayed June 2013
Middletown, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This place was a disaster from the time we walked in the doors to the time we walked out! It took us over 2 hours to check in. The reason for this is that we arrived an hour before the 4pm check in time. We got that all done and we were told to come back in an hour to get the keys to the room. we come back and then are told we have to wait on line again. Ok. Except the line was 30 feet long and they only had 2 people working at the desk. The front desk service here was terrible the entire time we stayed here. Never did they have an answer but always an excuse and they never did anything to help. Just the same reply of so sorry sir. if you are sorry then do something to help with the problem.

The decor was okay until we got to our room and decided to shower off after a day of traveling. I got in the shower and the first thing I noticed was the slime on the tub bottom as a slid and almost killed myself. After regaining my balance and being more cautious I then noticed the mold grown all over the soap dispensers and walls. The floors throughout the room were the same and we had to be careful of our step the entire time. My wife went to use the hair dryer and it literally caught fire and spewed flames. I called the front desk and again was treated like a moron. It took them an hour to bring a new one up to the room.

Food: What they passed off as food was disgusting. We had an all inclusive package and only ate there a few times. We opted for off site eateries opposed to the crap they served.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay. This place is terrible!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SocialMedia_Ctor, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Grand Aruba Resort & Casino, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dave0628,

We apologize for the situation you experienced during your stay. It is our goal to always make our guests feel welcome and treated with the respect they deserve. We will like to take proper measures regarding your situation.

Your satisfaction is very important to us and we will keep your comments and suggestions for service and amenities in mind as we look towards future improvements to our guests' experience. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again should you return to the in near future.

Sincerely
Mount Vernon, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

It was very disappointing to spend so much $$ for royal club service and have to wait 8hrs for your room to be ready therefore causing to change all your other activities planned out. Nothing was done to try to accommodate us and no resolution came about our complaint. It was very unacceptable.

• Stayed July 2013
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed there from 8/26 to 8/31 One person at check in, and had to wait for our room for 1 1/2 hours You would think for a 4o'clock check in the rooms would be ready. Got to our room #1302, fan did not work, lights did not work. maid tried to no avail and called front desk. Within 3 hours it was fixed, or so I thought. Seems there's a leak in the light fixture that shorts out the other lights and fan. Called front desk and was told they had fixed the leak. Next day I put the light on and it shorted out the room lights. I guess no one noticed the pool of water in the light fixture. so far its not fixed.
The door to the patio is broken and the windows are filthy. Handle moved a few times as you can see the screw makes in the door. And the handle is not in the front but in the back which makes no sense.
While waiting to get our room we booked restaurants for the four remaining nights with 'Natasha'. to our surprise none of the reservations were there upon our arrival at each restaurant.
On Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday the couple we traveled with room key did not work and they used our room on a few occasions.
When my wife was locked in the bathroom for 10 minutes, we realized our bathroom door lock was broken. And again when our friends had to use the bathroom it took them 5 minutes to get out.
The Sliding glass door handle was broken as it fell off when I tried to close the patio door.
The furniture was old and worn.
All the while when management was told of the issues my wife and I and the couple we traveled with the kept saying we will fix it. But the never did. They just said that to keep us quiet. They never offered to change our rooms, or offer anything to make it up, even a free spa treatment for the wives would have been a nice gesture, but nothing. A third couple we went with found out they were over booked and sent them to the Hyatt Regency (where we had previously stayed). When it was time for their room at the Occidental to be ready, it wasn't. So they upgraded them to the Royal Club.
The timeshare owners have first priority in the restaurants. This is why there are tables available and you are still waiting to be seated. The Royal Club has their own special services. What I don't understand is why would anyone pay more money for a breakfast buffet that was the same every day, runny eggs, one person at the omelet station, and food that has been out for hours. ALL GUESTS SHOULD BE TREATED EQUALLY FAIR AND NICE. I can understand paying more for a private Concierge and open bar and paper delivered to your door (Hyatt Regency Club) But everyone there is treated with the same courtesy and respect.
The bartenders were pleasant and did their best. No complaints there. Our maid did her best and no complaints with her.
The mini bar is stocked EVERY OTHER DAY, 2 waters 2 coke,2 sprite, 2 diet coke and 2 small half cans of Balashi beer.
Of the restaurants we ate at the Mexican was the better. Desire and Italian barely ok.
With all the issues we encountered MANAGEMENT HAS YET TO TALK TO US. I will plan to go back to Aruba next year but will stay away from this hotel.
I have visited the Caribbean and this was by far the WORST HOTEL.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Richard S,

Thank you for send us your review, we pride ourselves on providing guests with the highest quality product and service, and we regret that this is not what you experienced.

Please know that we take all feedback to heart, as it helps us improve. We really sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations and we do apologize for all the inconveniences you encountered during your stay.

We discussed your review with our Housekeeping and Maintenance managements to ensure that our team will take action to improve our service and prevent any further occurrence. Please know that Occidental Hotels & Resorts works under strict standards to ensure the equipment are in perfect function before welcoming a new guest.

All our guests are treated with same respect and courtesy, if you felt uncomfortable with staffing behavior, please apologize us. We will continue training each department about service importance.

Sincerely
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I recently returned from Aruba and stayed for six nights in Occidental Grand Aruba. Hereunder my few notes about :
- Internet service was advertised for free but in fact I payed $60 for five days for one phone and connection was horrible.
-Cleanness of room is below zero.Can not walk in a room without shoes.
-Quality of food in La Carte restaurants except Caribbean below average.
- Superb location!
-Need to wake up at 6AM in order to find place under umbrella on the beach.
- Never got $150 in promotion which I had confirmation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear AlexB_PA,

We really appreciate your comments. Our main objective is to provide an incredible vacation to our guests. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the short cuts you encountered during your stay.

Concerning the extra cost for Wi-Fi service, unfortunately this service is offered by an external agency and we’re unable to control the costs.

We shared your review with our maintenance and housekeeping teams, as all guestrooms are to be inspected and cleaned daily, and repairs are to always be completed efficiently before welcoming new guests.

We hope you give us a second chance to host you in the near future, to offer you a outstanding stay.

Been to Occidental Grand Aruba Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!