“Great view, Excellent location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Aruba

Expedia.com Orbitz.com
Occidental Grand Aruba
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 83 | Palm Beach, Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Special Rate
Rates From $ 225
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Great view, Excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We enjoyed OG Aruba tremendously. The all-inclusive plan was very convenient. Pool and swim-up bar were awesome. Beach AH-Mazing! The location cannot be beat. Located smack dab in the middle of the "High Rise" area of Eagle Beach and with a Casino and theater on site as well as multiple restaurants, you can't go wrong with the OC Aruba.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

3,021 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (660)
Massapequa, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Went to Occidental Grand Arube for 14 days. We had the best time of our life. We spent our
anniversay night in the Royal Club--they couldn't do enough for us.Had bottle of champane in bucket by our table and were treated like royality. The general manager Jesus' Cardoso is the most caring and warm person any hotel could have,He really cares for his quests.He's a wonderful person a great asset to the hotel. There are also two people who excel at their jobs
Resty the food and beverage managerYou see him working Day and night checking in on every restaurant to make sure everything is running properly and he greets the quests and asks how everything is. The other person is Quinta she's at the beach and pool bar--a great great person. When you go up to the bar and she knows you your drink is there in a second.She loves all the people and is very very friendly--she works very hard. This is the reason we have been coming to the occidental Grand Aruba for many many yrears it's the people who work there who make our trip outstanding! We would never go anywhere else--this is the best place.
Thank-You my Aruba family at the Occidental for so wonderful to us all these years.

We love you guys Carmella and John DeRosa

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Service and location make the Occidental a brilliant place to stay on Aruba. From the moment we checked in, Veronica and all the girls at our Royal Club check in were exceptional with everything we needed. Fanny and Avery were outstanding for every meal we had at the Royal Club restaurant and made the holiday so peaceful.
The location is brilliant and the beach excellent. The restaurants were all nice and what you would expect from an all inclusive.
The beach bar was great and the only real knock was the limited beer selection, but with the royal club you could always get premium beers up in the Royal Club, just not at the beach or pool bar.

Room Tip: The Royal Club is worth the extra amount as you have no issue getting breakfast, lunch or dinner and...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the occidental for our honeymoon. We chose this place because it was an all-inclusive and they had the option to upgrade to the royal club package which seemed like a good value.
To be honest, upon arrival we were a little underwhelmed. The place seemed a bit cramped and a tad outdated (in the royal club lounge particularly) and our room for an upgraded package was small and nothing special.
HOWEVER, we quickly realized that this hotel really did have a lot to offer. Although our room wasn't huge, it had a small balcony which looked over the beautiful pool and it was very clean. The bathroom was also very nice and updated.
The service was excellent and the staff were very friendly and professional. Emily, our concierge on the 9th floor of the royal club was super friendly and took care of making all our meal plans (they have a number of restaurants at the occidental which are all good, the Japanese one being our favorite). She was very helpful and wanted us to have a good time.
The food was great and although the buffet had its better days, overall there was always something for everybody.
The hotel itself was actually quite big on the inside with a casino, a big auditorium for their shows (of which we went to one and it was quite good), shops, a bar in an open area, a computer lounge, and more.
The pool area was again not huge but was in our opinion the nicest out of the pool decks we saw at the other hotels in our stretch. It had a swim up bar, 3 hot tubs, waterfalls, and beds with canopies to lounge in.
The beach area was also in our opinion the nicest, but since all the high rises are on the same beach there honestly isn't too much of a difference. The palapas and beach loungers were free while at other hotels they can be up o 35$ a day.
All in all, our stay was fantastic. If you are looking for a secluded honeymoon spot I wouldn't choose this hotel since it is a kid-friendly resort and busy, but we don't mind the noise and had a wonderful time.

• Stayed June 2013
East Rutherford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I just returned from a seven day stay this past Thursday, June 13th, 2013, never wrote a review, and thought I would for the first time, hoping I could help others with my experience.
We asked for a pool side view, although our room faced the pool, it was behind two walls and atop a loud air conditioning unit. The front desk people, with their understanding rehearsed sympathetic smiles said they were sorry and would transfer to another room the next day which they did. The room was very nice with a marvelous view. A small dish of fruit awaited us.
However the next day the wall started to leak and I awoke to a large puddle which I stepped into the next day. They fixed it...two days later, it leaked again....whatever, I just put a towel on the floor, I didn't want to lose the room to another room with a wall. Basically I am a patient guy.

I have been to many all inclusives, as far as this one goes, the facilities are very nice, the grounds are inpeccably kept. So is the hotel in general. They have a very nice, large pool, hot tubs, plenty of lounge chairs with umbrella's, and chairs on the beach. The beach and location is just picture perfect.
They do offer entertainment, not exactly name acts, but something fun to do at night. Beach party one night, pool party another.
The casino is very small, but as I walked to many hotels along Palm Beach, most are small. This isn't Vegas.

Like I said I have gone to many all inclusives all throughout the Carribean, as for the food, I have had better, and some worse. This I found good. I find alot of reviewers nit picking at every little thing, but let's face it, every hotel in every city has its faults and good points, even mom's home cooking does.
The Major Flaw with the dining over here is that 90% of the guest's book several restaurants for the same night, taking up the good dining times, which is unfair. When we would go down to make a reservation for restaurant they would say the restaurant was either booked or only had a 9:30 pm sitting, because the hotels flawed system allowed rude guests to make multiple reservations. We would go to the restaurant, and it was empty, because noone kept reservations...A Major Flaw.

The drinks: they do have brand name liquors and do not spare the alcohol. However they do not have one good bartender there. They just throw some booze in a glass and put some smoothie in and you have pina colada, or some more smoothie and you got a daquiri. Like I said though they do not spare the booze. There were many guests I saw, they must have traveled together, they came with thermos's and they would swim up to the pool bar and the bartender would fill them up with a half a bottle of whatever and they would go swim off with a straw. One day there was a fight that broke out between two guys in the pool! Not a good thing, especially for kids to see.

This brings me to my only MAJOR COMPLAINTS (notice the caps).
I go away to relax...to chill out, relax in the sun, around the pool. From about 11am until about 6pm, they absolutely blast music around the pool!!! Not just play it a little loud, but blast it. You can't get away from it...and it's not pleasant island music...tropical steel drums or even light music or easy listening. Just annoying crap!
The second MAJOR COMPLAINT is that they insist on entertaining you pool side from morning to night! They have a DJ type guy with a microphone at a decible as high as the blasting music, doing pool games, anything from drinking games, ball tossing games, water aerobics, in pool kayac racing, very loud volley ball games, Bingo games, and so on.
Non stop, all day.
He would not only announce the games in a high pitch manor in English, but he would repeat it in Spanish, Dutch and Papiemento too! It was torturous.

If you are looking to read a book, listen to music on your IPod, or have quiet conversations around the pool or bar, this is not the place.

However you can inside, to be fair at the lounge where they have a bar and lounge with comfortable chairs, where you could actually talk. They had a live singer who was playing songs that many guests, young and old were actually singing along to and even dancing.

One last thing, the staff is very friendly, and their is plenty of security inside the hotel, however even though there was a security guard poolside, he did not stop the fight.

If it was not for the loudness, and their ability for getting me so tense around the pool and trying to entertain constantly, I might stay there again.
But I probably would go to the Renaissance Marina hotel in Orangestaed instead. I have been there twice and it is just far far more superior!

I hope this helped.

Room Tip: Do not let them issue room #1222. Even if they say a restaurant is booked or there are only late se...
Little Ferry, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was the 9th time I went to the Occidental and over 20 times that I have ben to Aruba. The Occidental is my favorite place. Everyone there is so friendly. It truely feels like home. I think the food is great. You have to be a very difficult person to please if you cannot find something to eat.
The Italian restaurant is one of my favorites. Special thanks to Hazel Magante who is one of the sweetest people I have ever met. Hazel helped me to get my Iphone working so I could be in contact with the New Jersey where my precious COCO, my baby kitten was. Thanks to Hazel I was connected and reassured that Coco was fine. Hazel was helpful in many other ways and the members of the royal club spoke highly of her as we all talked in the ocean. Another special person is Natashia Vreeswijk. Natashia greats us every year and always ges back to us if we need anything. She is warm and helpful an when we see her it is like seeing a family member that we have not seen in a year. Natashia was one of the reasons we keep coming back to the Occcidential. If you want an all inclusive choose the Occidental and you will have a great time!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Port of Spain, Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Recently came back from our trip to aruba and stayed at the occidental . Everything in this hotel I find is up to mark. The staff is nice as well as many other things. The food I find was the best . On mornings they have freshly made omelletes which are very good and also other variety of great foods such as bacon eggs etc the only fault in breakfast was the waffles they were a bit to crunchy other than that the food was great.

Dinner
Is good as well especially Mexican night when they made fresh on the spot fajitas and at lunch you get to take out your own ice cream ! The bedroom are nice and comfortable and the beach is amazing . I would definitely return to Occidental Grand Aruba!!!

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Occidental Grand Aruba? Share your experiences!