“Overall very good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Aruba

Save Saved
You added Occidental Grand Aruba to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Aruba
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 83 | Palm Beach, Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Special Rate
Rates From $ 225
San Diego, California
“Overall very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

First of all, I knew I wasn't staying at the Hyatt or one of the super fancy places. I expected this place to be middle of the road, and I think it really met my expectations, as far as how fancy it was. I would never expect an all-inclusive resort to have awesome food. In my experience, buffets are rarely phenomenal, and I knew none of their restaurants were internationally renowned. I am a big foodie, so again, I had moderate expectations, and the Occidental Grand met them all.

So that being said - I thought the food was a good quality, with plenty of variety and substance. Although I expected the cocktails to be watered down (again, this has to be how all-inclusvies work, I assumed!), my pina coladas were delicious. But yeah, the wine was not high quality. Just basic cheap wine, although they had several varietals. The staff was almost always good to very good and welcoming. In fact, the first night I got there from the airport and checked in just minutes before the buffet was closing and had had no dinner. I was lost as I was trying to find it and asked some guy as he was walking somewhere, and he stopped what he was heading off to do, took me to the buffet, sat me, got me water and didn't say anything rude about them closing in minutes. That's the kind of service that you'd expect, but you could easily not get at some places. Their dinner reservation system, where you are supposed to go to the lobby and talk to this one lady, is kind of a pain. Seems like you should just be able to call her or the restaurants from your room. I didn't really want to trek all the way to the lobby as I had no other reason to go there.

The rooms - very comfortable. Large towels, A/C works well, bed is fine. The one thing is that there is that underlying faint mildewy smell that I often detect in international humid places. Running the A/C helps. It's pretty minor, but otherwise I found the rooms to comfortable and pretty good looking. The one thing is the TV was awful, from the 80s it looked like, but I didn't watch it at all, so I almost forgot about that.

The pool was in good shape, as were the chairs, the palapas on the beach, other water-related amenities. Although there was only one medium sized pool, I never found it to be too crowded and there was always space on the beach as well, whether I was looking for shade or sun.

There were two significantly annoying things: First, there was only ever one person at the front desk. Which was fine when I checked in because I was the only person there, but when I went to check out, which took me all of 1.5 minutes, I had to wait in line for like 15 minutes behind one other group. And the one time my key demagnetized, I had to wait almost 10 minutes behind two other people asking questions. They need to have a second staff member there, or someone that can come over to the front desk from the bell desk or another location to help speed things along when it gets jammed up. While I was standing there forever, there were like 3-4 bellhops doing practically nothing the whole time. It would be very efficient if they would cross train these employees to help out with some simple tasks, at least!

Secondly, the internet was deplorable. First, they need to make it clear that you just can't even bother getting on in your room. Or maybe my room was a dead zone and they just need more routers or whatever to strengthen it throughout the towers, but I spent a long frustrating time trying to connect there. So then I realized I had to go sit in the lobby if I wanted to do anything on the internet, which is really annoying, because you'd probably rather take care of some stuff in the comfort of your room. And on top of that it was still slow. And you pay anywhere from $13-20 per day for this service! WAY too expensive for not being able to access it except for in the lobby. I probably would not have paid for it had I known how slow it was and that I would have to sit in the lobby torn between feeling like I was wasting my vacation and wanting to give a particular page two more minutes to finish loading. This should really be improved.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

3,028 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
Bloomfield, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We paid a significant amount of money for our week at the Occidental in Aruba at the recommendation of our agent at Liberty Travel at Eastview Mall, NY.

We were VERY disappointed. We paid for an ocean front room which had a beautiful view but the room was very run down and just plain dirty. Light bulbs were out, a wall mirror was broken and laying on the counter, huge crack in the counter, hair and dust all over the floor.

It was all inclusive, which was not an option, and the food in the hotel dining rooms was poor. My husband couldn't even eat a piece of meat he got at one dinner. We paid extra to eat out several times.

Guests services were very slow and inadequately staffed.

VERY noisy.

In order to get a chair on the beach you had to reserve it by 6 AM.

Equally disappointing is that Liberty Travel, who was made very aware of our complaints, failed to do anything about it - and they recommended this place. Our agent would not even return my phone calls or respond to my emails.

There are many other beautiful hotels on the island, and fortunately, many other travel agencies for our future travel needs.

Room Tip: Stay at a newer and cleaner hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Grand Aruba, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear KRL2828,

Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to read about your disappointments and most detailed observations.

We follow strict standards to ensure rooms are properly inspected and cleaned prior to the arrival of our guests. I sincerely apologize for the lack of service provided. This is unacceptable and I’ve addressed it with our maintenance team who immediately performed a full inspection of our rooms. We apologize for the inconvenience. Also, I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that we will start a maintenance project and refurbishment of common areas, hotel façade and guestrooms.
In regards to the food, our executive chef works daily to prepare fresh items and high quality products. We’re always looking to improve, so we’ve shared your comments with our Executive Chef.

I’m sorry about your experience with the guest services at our resort. I’ve discussed your review with the customer service manager to reinforce the importance of providing our guests with an efficient assistance.

We are always thankful for constructive feedback as it helps us to improve upon our high standards for quality. Please feel free to contact me at socialmedia@mx.occidentalhotels.com

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back in the near future.

East Greenbush, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I don't know what took me so long to actually write this review, but I have been recently been thinking about our honeymoon and it made me realize I should write a review so that other couples would not make the same mistake as my wife and I. We got married in September of 2012 and went to Aruba for our honeymoon. Aruba is beautiful but Occidental Grand was a disaster. We were told that upon arrival, because of booking through Liberty Travel that we would have a bottle of champagne in our room. We never got a bottle. We were told that the room would be ocean view. It was pool view and if palm trees were moving because of the wind you could see the ocean. The room was not well kept, there were a lot of cosmetic issues with the room that could be easily fixed but obviously had been there for a while. Because it was pool view, you could never relax in your room during the day, because there was always music being blasted all day long at the pool. If we were in our room at all during the day we could hardly hear the TV. The actual beach on the resort was actually very nice and is about the only positive thing I have to say about this resort.
Now to get to the worst part of the resort, the food. All my friends had told me that the food at all inclusive resorts was delicious. Not so at Occidental Grand. The first day we ate from the buffet and it was steak night, it was hardly cooked. Both my wife and I did not feel good after dinner. So we thought it might just be the buffet, but for the rest of the week, whenever we ate within the resort we felt sick. We ended up going out to eat three nights of the week. When we communicated with the resort after our honeymoon, they stated that their food "MEETS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS", I would have hoped that an all inclusive resort would hold themselves to higher standards than just MEETING international standards. My wife and I are not big drinkers but we were also looking forward to enjoying some tropical drinks while at the resort, when we got drinks they came in small plastic cups and were very watered down. Just one more disappointment with the resort.
Finally, most of the customer service was terrible. The concierges seemed to hate their job and were not very friendly. The only friendly person I met with was one of the managers. My wife and I were looking forward to spending our honeymoon in Aruba unfortunately Occidental Grand ruined our Honeymoon and that is something that can never be corrected.
It should be noted that upon complaining to the resort we did get one night comped, which basically made up for having to pay for dinner three of the nights we were there. We still feel like the resort did nothing to go out of their way to help us enjoy our stay and then did not care about the fact that our experience was so horrible upon contacting them once we got home. It was a complete waste of money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Grand Aruba, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Stephen A,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the beauty of our beach; however I’m disappointed that we’ve left you with an unsatisfactory experience especially since you were celebrating your honeymoon.
Please accept our apologies for your overall accommodation experience, our housekeeping and maintenance teams work hard to keep the room fresh and in top condition. I will share your comments with our Rooms Division Manager who always appreciates guest feedback. Regarding the music, our Fun Club team is now aware of your experience and I assure you that measures will be taken to prevent this annoyance from happening again.
I’m sorry to read your comments about the food, we strive to offer a variety of options including: The Palm (our buffet style restaurant which is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner) where our guests find a large fruit salad bar, omelet station, carving station, dessert station, and Aruban specialties; for lunch we have The Beach Club (which specializes in light lunch options and snacks) and for diner we have four a la carte options: L´Olio – Italian; El Olvido – Mexican (most popular among our guests); Zen– Asian and Desire which specializes in Caribbean cuisine. I have shared your opinion with our Executive chef as it helps us to improve. Regarding your experience at the bars. Please know that our beverages are not watered down, our resort has periodic inspections made by an external agency which ensures the quality of our products and their proper use. Nonetheless I have addressed the situation with our food and beverage manager in order to ensure that beverages are being served properly.
Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies for the lack of service you may have experienced from our staff. The comfort and satisfaction of our guests is of utmost importance to us and we are taking your comments seriously.
Once more thank you for your feedback. We do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and hope you will give us another chance to host you.
Westbury, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We loved our first experience in Aruba, as We went to Celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary... One it's a Beautiful Island, safe, clean & very friendly... Second, the location and the Resort / Occidental Grand Aruba was amazing... not only did we love the grounds, but the staff as well... WE would definitely recommend this Hotel and hope to return again very soon.. with our family and friends...

Room Tip: I loved being on the 4th floor/2 rooms from the frontal beach view....... was able to see the beach...
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The Occidental was home from March 21st - 25th and I enjoyed every second there; from the buffets to the Oriental restaurant to the many many many many (too) many shots of Tequila at the pool bar. I can't complain about the room as I only saw it in the morning and at night, it's Aruba I did not come to stay in a room but enjoy the beautiful weather.

I would definitely recommend the Occidental as the food was really good, bar staff kept the drinks coming, the location was amazing right in the center of the shopping area, the night club was jumping, casino on premises, and I would say the best strip of beach is right behind the Occidental.

Other activities we enjoyed were an ATV tour, horse and carriage ride and stroll down the strip at night which was romantic, Flying Fishbone, beach side massages, a lot of tequila, plenty of laughter and romance and plenty of beach side/pool side sleep.
--Tequila Boy

Stamford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Just got back from our long awaited trip to Aruba!!!! The island itself is amazing, beaches are great, and weather was awesome! Hotel was just FAIR-GOOD. We do a lot of all-inclusive when we travel to islands but I don’t think it’s necessary for Aruba being that the island is very safe and there are a lot of restaurants and bars on the hotel strip. Staff was amazing! From Renato entertaining us at breakfast to Erik making us smile at the pool bar...I would give the staff at the Occidental 5 stars! The event staff is great as well with bingo, water aerobics etc...The casino is also a good time!

The cons to this hotel are the rooms. We paid for both early check in- which our room was not ready when we arrived at 2pm and also an "ocean view room" The room we originally got was NOT ocean view but half parking lot and pool view. We had a rocky start with the staff in the royal club but then Emily stepped it up and upgraded us to a BEAUITFUL suite facing the ocean with a Jacuzzi and several rooms. Special thanks to her- without that the trip would have not been the same! Royal Club is a waste…if you are OK with mediocre rooms then just save your money and book the regular rooms!

Also the food was OK. Don’t waste your time on the buffets, or breakfast. It’s the same thing every day. The specialty restaurants were great. Especially the Italian and Zen- (oriental)…WAS THE BEST! Boy and Elmo are awesome..and keep the party going! The party on the beach was kind of lame and the food was even worse…I wouldn’t even serve to a prison inmate…skip that and try a restaurant on the town that night…I heard Flying Fish Bone is great!
All in all I would give this hotel a 3 1/2 – 4 stars. If it wasn’t for the entertainment during the day, beautiful beaches and staff the hotel would not be above a 2! Thanks for making our stay so fun and warm!

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The location of this hotel is pretty cool. It is about 15- 20 minutes away from the airport. With traffic it may be about a 1/2 hour. You can walk right off the resort and enter in the arubian town with the locals. Upon arriving at the resort you are offered a drink and name is checked off a list. You checkin as normal and begin your vaca. The resort is right on the beach so once you walk passed the pool you are at the beach. The beach is beautiful and peaceful. The resort needs a lil upgrade. There is also a bar on the beach and there is no one there to bother you about buying anything. They only had one food option for lunch, which was burgers, their versions of french fries, lettuce, tomato. Been to a couple all inclusive resort before and they had a lot more options than burgers. Make sure you are at the airport 3 hours before your flight. ALL US departures come out of the same airport, which means ALL airlines customers go through the same customs, same security. You are going through security twice and through customs twice. BEWARE and BE there 3 HOURS ahead of flight time. Our flight had to wait for about 10 passengers because they got stuck in customs. I was probably in a line about 4 or 5 times just to get to my gate. Would love to back to Aruba but would try a different resort.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Occidental Grand Aruba? Share your experiences!