“Fun In Aruba” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Aruba

Save Saved
You added Occidental Grand Aruba to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Aruba
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 83 | Palm Beach, Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Special Rate
Rates From $ 225
Ranked #20 of 23 hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Skillman, New Jersey
“Fun In Aruba”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We elected to stay at an all inclusive since we didn't have much time and didn't want to explore too much. We found the staff to be friendly and attentive. We stayed in the Royal Club for 3 nights. No one asked us to buy a timeshare. Towel service was not a problem at all. They were refreshed in the evening and I received extra towels upon request. We had daily morning tea from room service and it took less then 10 minutes on all 3 requests. The quality of the alcohol was fine in the Royal Club. On the rest of the property, it is not high end. This definitely is not a 5 star property and they don't claim to be one. I would rate it at 3.5 to 4. The gym is small and has one treadmill. The beach is very nice. We never were up early enough to get a covered spot on the beach. So we paid $20 for an Umbrella. It worked out better since we got a spot that we wanted on the beach close to the water. There is a trail along the beach that is about 1.25 miles or so from end to end. Its very convenient for walking and running. Running on the beach barefoot was tough in certain spots so its best to run on the path with sneakers. We are runners and enjoyed running through the town and the path along the beach. The snorkels are free and they were in very good condition. There are some really good spots to explore. Anywhere you see rocks is good. Across from the Rui Hotel about 100 yards from the beach, there are some rocks. I couldnt find any cheerios so I took Apple jacks from the Hotel and the fish were all over it. When it comes to food, I am easy. I loved the buffets and you have to be careful to go to the main one called Palm. The other one is horrible. The pasta station is awesome at the buffet. We had dinner at Zen. We had Hibachi (they cook in front of you) and sushi. I had shrimp and filet mignon. I also had Octopus Sashimi and Tuna Sashimi. It wasnt the best I have had but better then I expected. The seating for the Hibachi is very limited so get your reservations as soon as you can. The second night we had dinner at Desire. I had the surf and turf. The lobster tail was fine (its hard to screw that up). The steak was sirloin and that wasn't very good. My wife and I both had a pedicure from the spa and it was good. The gal that gave me the pedicure was cute and pleasant. The spa is located in the hotel and not associated with the hotel. We had a massage on the beach. I was apprehensive since it was located in a crowded area. The soft music was good and the sound of the waves was amazing. Unfortunately we could only schedule one massage since it was booked. They closed at 5 PM. This was a bit disappointing. The entertainment was so-so. Definitely not broadway and not even at the level that cruises have. The casino is small and ok. I had fun for a few hours at the blackjack table. Lots and lots of great restaurants in close proximity and lots of cool bars. Lots of Cigar shops too. Met a lot of cool people. All in all, a very good vacation. I was trying to convince myself that this would be a 5 star property and it just wasnt.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and go to the Royal club.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

3,165 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I had been to Aruba twice but it was 15 years ago. I was with my now ex-husband and he ruined both trips more less. I have been remarried for almost 3 years now and my new husband was never out of the country. He always went to Florida (West Coast). We went to Florida twice but I wanted to return to Aruba in the worst way so I talked him into going. I booked everything and got a travel agent referral and she referred us to stay at the Occidental. I had never stayed there before. My husband also never experienced an all inclusive and I had many times. Well, after just ONE day he was in love (again)...He said he would never return to Florida again and that this was the best vacation he ever had. The staff at the the Occidental was exceptional esp Ramon. He was such a big help to us during our week stay along with everyone else. The staff was all so happy and accomodating to us. Everything went so smoothly it was amazing. Usually something always will go wrong. We were so impressed we bought a time share and will be returning (God willing) every Thanksgiving. The food was such high quality and we never went hungry that's for sure. The restuarant's were exceptional and it was hard to believe the quantity and the quality we were given. Just an amazing place to spend a week...... I just referred a friend of mine and he and his girlfriend will be there in about 3 weeks. Denise S

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor facing the pool. It was fine. We heard music late at night but it was not d...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Short Hills, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Our family had a wonderful time visiting the Occidental Grand Aruba. This was our first visit and hope to return in the near future. The property is at a great location, the resort is very nice, the staff is genuinely friendly, and the food/drinks were the best we have found at any all-inclusive resort that we have visited. The Royal Club puts the resort in a class above the rest, and in particular, we are grateful to Natasha, one of the concierges in the Royal Club, for making our short time a memory to last forever.

Medford, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We came back here and we were NOT disappointed! Last year we came with a group of 11 and the same this year. We know we are guaranteed a great safe vacation. First i need to thank sandra in the business center. her patience with my hubby, who is computer ignorant was awesome. also need to thank ivette as she too is wonderful!! the rooms are kept spotless! we enjoy the food there also. in fact, i must thank louiseanne (i think that is the spelling). when i told her to thank the chef for the delicious white fish ceviche (which i dreamed about all year!!), she surprised me with an extra side dish to take to my room!!! i did have two small disappointments. we renewed our wedding vows on the beach. it was wonderful!!! when i asked the wedding coordinator about our room service breakfast she said that it was extra. when i got home i saw that it was included in our contract. also, my daughtes had asked for white calalillies for the bouquet. it was given orange lillies, totally a different thing. but this is all small stuff. the staff works very hard and they are also so very nice. plenty of towels but u do have to reserve a pool or beach spot very early. the beds are super comfy too!! i just cant wait to go back!!!!!!

Room Tip: try to get pool or beach view.
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Vacationed to Aruba at the end of August for our Honeymoon and was impressed with the entire week. Food and drinks were great, our room was always clean but not overly spacious, people were very friendly and willing to help, the beaches were beautiful, and the a la carte restaurants were a highlight as well. Having travelled during the summer months we thought Aruba might have the potential to be very hot but the weather was quite comfortable as there was a strong breeze most of the time and therefore very little humidity. We travelled off the resort often and felt comfortable at all times. You could keep yourself very busy and active if you wanted but if you chose it could also be very relaxing; and it was nice to have the two options. Definitely recommend Aruba and the Occidental for those looking for the all inclusive beach vacation with several options to keep you busy.

Room Tip: Higher floors offered better views but those are reserved for the club package.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Liberty Township, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We have stayed here for seven years and unfortunately the property is going down hill. The furniture both in the rooms and public areas is worn and uncomfortable. We experienced water leakage after rains. This was addressed on the fourth floor elevator landing by putting towels along the window wall and letting them sit for five days. We were concerned about mold. Improvements also could be made in the check-in process. On the plus side the staff was for the most part friendly and helpful. We would like to single out Theo in the Palm Restaurant-a.m. and Roseline in Housekeeping. Theo was dedicated to ensuring our needs were met not only in the dining room but also with other aspects of our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Grand Aruba, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Norman L,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Please know that we truly value your loyalty to our brand, and I am sincerely sorry that your experience did not fully meet your expectations this time.
I have addressed your comments with our maintenance team in order to ensure all roofs are fully repaired and that this does not happen again. Your experience was beneath the standards that we set for ourselves, and for this I apologize.
We’re happy that Theo and Roseline provided you with the service we are known to deliver, and we know that they will be delighted to hear this feedback. We do hope to have the honor of welcoming you back in the near future.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at: socialmedia@mx.occidentalhotels.com
I will personally make sure that your next stay with us is most enjoyable.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

To start with the front desk: instead of suggesting the best service to us they took their time allowing the personnel from the casino located across the front desk to bombard us with "best" offers and discounts we could only get in the casino. Then we were informed that they are booked and they don't have much choice of the rooms because it was Thursday and many people did not check out yet. We got the room facing the parking lot of another hotel (yes, the whole one side of the hotel has rooms facing the parking lot-enjoy the view), and our friend got the room right on the top of the air conditioning units. Upon attempts to switch the rooms we were told they have only worst, not better ones. it took our friends 2 days and 4 rooms to get satisfactory room. The room itself was, well, small, outdated. There was a music outside of the hotel till 4 in the morning, and we had to close the door and turn on the air conditioner, which made even worse loud sound. For 3 out of 7 days of stay we had to call for them to bring us the bath towels- their explanation:"you know, we have a small laundry", and on the 4-th day when we came from the beach at 5.30 in the evening our room was not clean because the cleaning lady was just going to get to us- we were lucky we got our towels. About the fruit "basket" that somebody mentioned before- it was hilarious- once they brought a small plate with banana, 2 apples and kiwi. The beach is ok, I can't say they really clean it, but it was decent. The food in the hotel is a separate chapter. if you have all inclusive option and are not planning to get out from the hotel you are destined to be bored with the same meals over and over again, plus the beauty of drinking nice and cold juice and eating various fruits both kindly retrieved from the cans that you can (but we usually don't) buy in any supermarket or 99c store. I get it, Aruba import most of the fruits, but don't say that you are 4 star hotel- say 2 and own it with pride, this way people know what to expect. The only decent restaurant was Italian.Overall the staff was ok, some were openly rude, others were nice- nobody cared about tips. If you travel with kids: yes, you absolutely have to pay full extra charge, but the kids club is non-existent and there are absolutely no activities for kids in the evening, so you are their best entertainment. Oh, and by the end of vacation I went down with food poisoning and the first day I came home , I had to visit my doc for IV. Best vacation I've ever had, indeed!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Grand Aruba, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Milena Z,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review about your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences your experienced. and will follow up with you today via TripAdvisor to check-in.
I am truly surprised by the lack of room service provided by our staff, as this is certainly not the form for us. Your satisfaction is our goal, and the team is trained to go above and beyond to accommodate our guests. Our resort has strict standards in place so that each room is ready and prepared for guests upon check-in and throughout their stay. These standards include the cleanness of the entire room and ensuring that all amenities are in place. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced. I have shared your comments with the manager and housekeeping team, and I assure you this is will not happen again.
In regards to the location of the rooms, we receive a large amount of special requests and we do our best to accommodate them. This can be a challenge especially during peak times.
I’m sorry that you were ill after your stay, and I immediately looked in to this with our resort. Please know that we have no reports of food poisoning at our hotel. Our food is handled with appropriate health and safety regulations, as the safety of our guests is our priority.
I am surprised by your comments about the variety of our cuisine. Our executive chef strives to provide an extensive selection in our buffet and four gourmet restaurants including: L’Olio, El Olvido, Zen and Desire. I’ve discussed your comments with our executive chef, as we’re always looking to enhance the culinary experience for guests.
Regarding our Kids Club, I’ve addressed your comments about our activities with the Fun Club manager, as his team works hard to organize a variety of activities for children, including a mini disco, contests and more.
Thank you again for the feedback, as it helps us to improve upon our high standards for quality. We do hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Been to Occidental Grand Aruba? Share your experiences!