“Great Honeymoon...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Aruba

Bookmark
You added Occidental Grand Aruba to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Aruba
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 83 | Palm Beach, Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
London, Canada
“Great Honeymoon...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Vacationed to Aruba at the end of August for our Honeymoon and was impressed with the entire week. Food and drinks were great, our room was always clean but not overly spacious, people were very friendly and willing to help, the beaches were beautiful, and the a la carte restaurants were a highlight as well. Having travelled during the summer months we thought Aruba might have the potential to be very hot but the weather was quite comfortable as there was a strong breeze most of the time and therefore very little humidity. We travelled off the resort often and felt comfortable at all times. You could keep yourself very busy and active if you wanted but if you chose it could also be very relaxing; and it was nice to have the two options. Definitely recommend Aruba and the Occidental for those looking for the all inclusive beach vacation with several options to keep you busy.

Room Tip: Higher floors offered better views but those are reserved for the club package.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (803)
Liberty Township, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We have stayed here for seven years and unfortunately the property is going down hill. The furniture both in the rooms and public areas is worn and uncomfortable. We experienced water leakage after rains. This was addressed on the fourth floor elevator landing by putting towels along the window wall and letting them sit for five days. We were concerned about mold. Improvements also could be made in the check-in process. On the plus side the staff was for the most part friendly and helpful. We would like to single out Theo in the Palm Restaurant-a.m. and Roseline in Housekeeping. Theo was dedicated to ensuring our needs were met not only in the dining room but also with other aspects of our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Grand Aruba, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Norman L,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Please know that we truly value your loyalty to our brand, and I am sincerely sorry that your experience did not fully meet your expectations this time.
I have addressed your comments with our maintenance team in order to ensure all roofs are fully repaired and that this does not happen again. Your experience was beneath the standards that we set for ourselves, and for this I apologize.
We’re happy that Theo and Roseline provided you with the service we are known to deliver, and we know that they will be delighted to hear this feedback. We do hope to have the honor of welcoming you back in the near future.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at: socialmedia@mx.occidentalhotels.com
I will personally make sure that your next stay with us is most enjoyable.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

To start with the front desk: instead of suggesting the best service to us they took their time allowing the personnel from the casino located across the front desk to bombard us with "best" offers and discounts we could only get in the casino. Then we were informed that they are booked and they don't have much choice of the rooms because it was Thursday and many people did not check out yet. We got the room facing the parking lot of another hotel (yes, the whole one side of the hotel has rooms facing the parking lot-enjoy the view), and our friend got the room right on the top of the air conditioning units. Upon attempts to switch the rooms we were told they have only worst, not better ones. it took our friends 2 days and 4 rooms to get satisfactory room. The room itself was, well, small, outdated. There was a music outside of the hotel till 4 in the morning, and we had to close the door and turn on the air conditioner, which made even worse loud sound. For 3 out of 7 days of stay we had to call for them to bring us the bath towels- their explanation:"you know, we have a small laundry", and on the 4-th day when we came from the beach at 5.30 in the evening our room was not clean because the cleaning lady was just going to get to us- we were lucky we got our towels. About the fruit "basket" that somebody mentioned before- it was hilarious- once they brought a small plate with banana, 2 apples and kiwi. The beach is ok, I can't say they really clean it, but it was decent. The food in the hotel is a separate chapter. if you have all inclusive option and are not planning to get out from the hotel you are destined to be bored with the same meals over and over again, plus the beauty of drinking nice and cold juice and eating various fruits both kindly retrieved from the cans that you can (but we usually don't) buy in any supermarket or 99c store. I get it, Aruba import most of the fruits, but don't say that you are 4 star hotel- say 2 and own it with pride, this way people know what to expect. The only decent restaurant was Italian.Overall the staff was ok, some were openly rude, others were nice- nobody cared about tips. If you travel with kids: yes, you absolutely have to pay full extra charge, but the kids club is non-existent and there are absolutely no activities for kids in the evening, so you are their best entertainment. Oh, and by the end of vacation I went down with food poisoning and the first day I came home , I had to visit my doc for IV. Best vacation I've ever had, indeed!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Grand Aruba, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Milena Z,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review about your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences your experienced. and will follow up with you today via TripAdvisor to check-in.
I am truly surprised by the lack of room service provided by our staff, as this is certainly not the form for us. Your satisfaction is our goal, and the team is trained to go above and beyond to accommodate our guests. Our resort has strict standards in place so that each room is ready and prepared for guests upon check-in and throughout their stay. These standards include the cleanness of the entire room and ensuring that all amenities are in place. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced. I have shared your comments with the manager and housekeeping team, and I assure you this is will not happen again.
In regards to the location of the rooms, we receive a large amount of special requests and we do our best to accommodate them. This can be a challenge especially during peak times.
I’m sorry that you were ill after your stay, and I immediately looked in to this with our resort. Please know that we have no reports of food poisoning at our hotel. Our food is handled with appropriate health and safety regulations, as the safety of our guests is our priority.
I am surprised by your comments about the variety of our cuisine. Our executive chef strives to provide an extensive selection in our buffet and four gourmet restaurants including: L’Olio, El Olvido, Zen and Desire. I’ve discussed your comments with our executive chef, as we’re always looking to enhance the culinary experience for guests.
Regarding our Kids Club, I’ve addressed your comments about our activities with the Fun Club manager, as his team works hard to organize a variety of activities for children, including a mini disco, contests and more.
Thank you again for the feedback, as it helps us to improve upon our high standards for quality. We do hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We have stayed at the Occidental twice now and have enjoyed it so much. We cannot wait to go back. Each staff member are excellent. If you have a chance to stay in the Royal Club Veronica will take such good care of you. She is the best!

Room Tip: Royal Club any room is excellent
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Champlain, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I visited approximately 15 timeshare presentations in different countries/resorts/hotels but I never purchased. Finally Occidental Grand Aruba pushed me to buy my first timeshare. Very good food, excellent service, and nice beach. Family friendly resort. Safe area for kids. My kids are 2 and 5.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

It’s been almost 1 year since my wife and I stayed at the Occidental (April 2012) and I’m still very upset that we choose this place to celebrate our 1 year anniversary. Maybe things have changed but I can’t imagine they have. I thought this place was terrible and was going to write a review immediately after our return to US, but never did. After 8 months I still can’t believe I see people saying this place is “good.” I even looked back to the reviews posted in April 2012 and I just don’t understand what some people were saying. Here is my review…..

Accommodations: Bed was comfortable. Fridge doesn’t get cold. Room with ‘Ocean View’ was overlooking a parking lot. Ice machine didn’t work on floor so I had to constantly go to another floor to get ice. Older hotel so I get there will be a few imperfections.

Staff: friendly…nothing bad to say.

Pool: it was okay. Swim up bar was good. I did go to Dunkin to get a large mug so I didn’t have to constantly go back and forth to the bar area when they poured weak drinks. I would ask for a floater on all my mixed drinks.

Beach area: it was satisfactory

Food: AWFUL. This is my biggest complaint. I don’t know how people can actually say they liked the food (this is another reason why I am writing this 8 months later). I didn’t want to go off the property to go eat seeing how we were paying for ‘all inclusive’….

Breakfast was okay. But eggs on a griddle or omelets shouldn’t be difficult to make. Fresh Fruit was lacking. Wasn’t really that fresh. I loaded up at breakfast each day b/c it was the best meal going for this place.

Lunch: Sucked. Not many options. I really didn’t want to eat a Hot Dog at lunch or a burger that are pre-cooked and sitting a vat of grease and then you toss them on the grill to warm them up. Can I please have some fresh grilled chicken or shrimp? Not to mention all those birds flying around and picking at the food at the outside buffet. Also, a lot of the food being served at lunch was from the previous night’s dinner buffet. I get they are trying to save some food /money, but if at least try to change the appearance of it. It became a running joke for us.

Dinner: we would eat a little something at the buffet when it would open….because our dinner reservations to restaurants were always late at night. (which was a pain in the [--] to get to begin with). My wife would always get a salad cause nothing seemed appealing to her on the buffet line. I would try a few things and end up just leaving a full plate and going back to get a salad.

I think the Japanese place was the best, but when I wanted Saki they wanted me to pay extra. (Same at the Italian restaurant- for wine that wasn’t the house) How is this place all inclusive? We went to bed hungry a few nights.

So you can see my biggest problem was with the food and having to pay extra for drinks in the restaurants. Why do you have to nickel and dime me? Just make me pay more in the ‘all inclusive’ package….. And to get bottled water I had to go up to the main desk each time. I get that Aruba has some of the best water purification in the world. But can I please just have access to a bottled water at the bar area

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Grand Aruba, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear David P,
Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed review on Trip Advisor. We value all guest feedback and I’m truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us particularly since you were celebrating such a special occasion.
I’m surprised by your comments about the dining experience at our resort, as it is typically well received by guests. Our Executive Chef works diligently to offer a variety of fresh options for each meal, featuring a different daily dish made from seasonal ingredients. We also provide a fresh omelet station at breakfast and a carving station with prime cuts of meat at lunch and dinner. In addition to the lunch buffet, guests also have the option of eating at the Beach Club restaurant, which offers fresh salads, fruit, seafood, hamburgers, sandwiches, chicken salad and more. For dinner, guests can choose from one of our four gourmet specialty restaurants, which include an Italian restaurant, a Mexican restaurant, an Asian restaurant, and a Caribbean restaurant. I’ve reviewed your comments with our Executive Chef so the team will take action to improve our quality.
We have the reservation system for our four a la carte restaurants in place in order to offer the highest quality service to our guests and to ensure a truly special evening. For guests staying four nights at the hotel, they have the option of dinning twice at the restaurants and twice at the buffet that is open every night of the week. If any of our gourmet restaurants have extra tables available, we are always more than happy to welcome guest’s last minute. I have discussed your feedback with the food and beverage manager, as we’re always looking to improve the experience for guests.
We do hope that you will present us with another opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel someday.
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I just return from aruba 2 hours ago.I got a good price so I was not to worry about the bad reviews. The resort is a little old but was fine, the room I stayed was the deluxe room, newly renovated very clean,king bed,old tv,coffee maker and a mini frigde that got stock every two days but if you needed anything just call house keeping and they will bring it to you in lest than 10 minutes.The staff was very friendly except for our waiter in the oriental restaurant and the lady at the the palms tour desk.The food was not bad you can always find something to eat, make sure you make reservations at the specialty restaurants so you have more variety. The pool area is small and loud because the have the music blasting all day long if thats not your thing go to the beach.The beach was not bad but I'm accustom to very quiet beaches like turks and caicos,this beach has a lot of people and boats, but was nice. ps. be careful with the shampoo and shower gel despencer it can scrach you if you don't pay attention it happen to my husband a couple of times and don't use the shower gel it smells like squid(really!!) enjoy your trip!, remember is what you make of it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Occidental Grand Aruba? Share your experiences!