“nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Aruba

Save Saved
You added Occidental Grand Aruba to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Aruba
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 83 | Palm Beach, Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Special Rate
Rates From $ 225
new york
“nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I just return from aruba 2 hours ago.I got a good price so I was not to worry about the bad reviews. The resort is a little old but was fine, the room I stayed was the deluxe room, newly renovated very clean,king bed,old tv,coffee maker and a mini frigde that got stock every two days but if you needed anything just call house keeping and they will bring it to you in lest than 10 minutes.The staff was very friendly except for our waiter in the oriental restaurant and the lady at the the palms tour desk.The food was not bad you can always find something to eat, make sure you make reservations at the specialty restaurants so you have more variety. The pool area is small and loud because the have the music blasting all day long if thats not your thing go to the beach.The beach was not bad but I'm accustom to very quiet beaches like turks and caicos,this beach has a lot of people and boats, but was nice. ps. be careful with the shampoo and shower gel despencer it can scrach you if you don't pay attention it happen to my husband a couple of times and don't use the shower gel it smells like squid(really!!) enjoy your trip!, remember is what you make of it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

3,030 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
Stratford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Our week was end of November to December 3. We were Royal Club guests so we were on the 8th floor. Private check-in was on the ninth floor where two beautiful ladies look after all your needs, Veronica and Vivian are there for all your needs, their smiles and expertise was observed every day. With the upgrade to Royal Club you have access to a specialty restaurant on the ninth floor (top). To gaze out at the beach and water through large glass windows while eating your breakfast or lunch or just a sit down for a drink or to watch a little CNN, this is your private restaurant. We ate at the specialty restaurants every night, I thoroughly loved every single meal that I consumed, we have no complaints what so ever. The beach was busy as you would expect, water temp was great, walking the beach was nice to see the other resorts. The pool, pool bar and surrounding deck area was relaxing and well groomed, time at the pool was again relaxing and without any complaints. It was so easy to use the local bus to hit the uptown area for much better shopping, bus stop right out front of property return drop over straight across the street......can't get much easier. The entertainers at the lobby bar (7-9 pm) always draws a crowd, even out of the casino......this is because it's perfect! The Entertainment Staff performed a show of Grease and did a marvelous job. The rooms in Royal Club were Fantastic
I loved it, just walking in or just waking up, you feel so fortunate to be in such a special location.
I would suggest if anyone travels to this property Royal Club is the only way to go because many hotels line the strip, to be on the top 3 floors gives you prestige that runs all week long.
One thing we did not like was the buffet, we ate there twice for lunch and was not to our liking but no problem..restaurant on ninth floor was also great at lunch. A Very special thank you to all the waiters and staff especially Elena, Maria, Perlita, Fanny and Melvin you guys rock.
Our bell man Danny...first and last person we saw...Danny you are #1 with us, another special friend from Aruba we hope to visit again. From the General Manager to the cleaning staff, you all made this vacation excel to my best vacation ever. For readers .. we have been to many destinations, all most yearly since 92, The Occidental Grand Aruba was so close to perfect that we have to go back, we want to go back, we will go back !!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CT, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We booked the Occidental just a few weeks prior to going over the December break, so we were lucky to get in. We had requested adjoining rooms, but were not able to get them once we arrived. Luckily our kids are 9 & 13 and were okay to stay a few rooms down from ours.

The rooms were adequate. Don't be surprised the the view. Ocean view does not exactly mean you can see the ocean from inside your room.....the hotel is built sideways to the beach (as most of the Aruba hotels on the main strip are). That means that a few rooms on closest to the water at the end of the hotel will have direct ocean views. The others have a beautiful view from the rooms terrace or from standing at an angle from the window. The room itself was adequate. The basics are there. The room is not very roomy and there is not much storage area for clothing. No dresser and only one nightstand had a drawer. We lived out of our suitcases. A hanging closet isn't that useful for bathing suits, shorts and tennis gear.

The staff is wonderfully friendly. Every staff person we encountered tried to be helpful and was friendly.

We have 2 gluten free members of our family. It was a bit difficult. While we were told we could be accommodated, that wasn't always the case. It largely depended upon which person you spoke to, whether or not they even understood what gluten free meant. We did let the hotel know in advance, like we were told to do. We even told the restaurants in advance before we arrived. However, one morning for example, I asked someone for gluten free bread without knowing my husband was asking someone else for the gluten free bread. I was given some, but my husband was told they had none. On another occasion, we were told they had gluten free pasta. They brought the box out to show us....it was whole wheat....NOT at all gluten free. So, if you have food allergies, be very careful.

The beach was very nice. We did have to get out early to get shade for the 1st half of the day. We went out around 8am and could usually get one of the Palapas furthest from the beach. By the afternoon, it is easier to get shade.

Clean, dry beach towels ran out most days by 3pm...so be sure to exchange your towels before then.

We played adult beach volleyball a number of times. It was nice that that was organized.

While non-motorized water sports are included, they don't have any hobi's...only a large sailboat that has a group sail.

The two tennis courts were nice...we used them everyday.

The pool was a bit cold and the hot tubs were not that warm..yet both are very nice looking. Aside from my daughter swimming every day, I only went in the pool once and my husband didn't go in at all. He likes the water much warmer.

There are two places to eat lunch. Only one at a time will allow outdoor seating. However, they did let us bring food from one to the other so we could sit outside.

Again, overall, we had a very nice time and the hotel for the most part met all of our needs. It wasn't luxury but certainly fine.

We were very disappointed with the fruit....never even saw one coconut the whole time.

The Habachi restaurant was very good. There are only 2 tables, so book as early as you can if you want to try it. The cook made it a lot of fun and the food was very good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Massillon, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

First of all, the reason we picked Occidental was because we got an amazing deal thru Jet Blue Get A Ways...a trip to all inclusive airfare and car rental included in a price that was almost too good to be true. I had lived on the island as a child and teenager and I was in such a need to visit my friends and go "home". Before arriving to Aruba and the Occidental, Sandra Steba helped plan out our stay. She went above and beyond to make my trip home amazing. Check in ...Smooth and welcoming. The porters were right there to get the luggage and welcome in the door. Front desk staff was organized, helpful and very friendly. Sandra then came as she knew we would be arriving. Because we arrived a bit early, we were able to sit with her and plan out some of the ammentities that were a part of our package ...Little extras and gifts that were all included ... We then went to the pool bar... Very clean, beautiful and the drinks are flowing along with a fun and amazing staff to welcome you. The pool itself was gorgeous, perfect temperature ...swim up bar was the right height ... Our room was ready by now so off we went ... Beautiful and spacious...clean and tidy...fresh everything...bathroom was very clean and neat.. We had a balcony/ terrace with a view of the pool and the sea right in front of us .. Breathtaking! It was a favorite to wake in the morning and have my coffee while the sun came up and quiet was upon the hotel. I noticed it is a resort for all ages... and a lil in between ... and the guest all had a friendliness about them ...I wonder is it the island or the beautiful people of Aruba. Daily housekeeping was amazing ...always clean fresh towels and mini bar restocked. We did not dine there at night because I was busing seeing and out with my friends that live there, but Sandra had arranged for us to have dinner from Desire on the beach at Sunset ...THE setting was AMAZING and PERFECT!!!! We also each had a 30 minute couple beach massage...the therapists were very well trained and professional! We did eat at the Buffet for breakfast and lunch .... Normal style buffet... Something of a bit of everything ... It is buffet style so I can only say that It is not high quality ... But it is not bad ...fresh and well maintained ... Plenty of options... Local fare...fruits Hot and cold ...Salad Soup ...Mains and sides ... Try a little ... The bars ... the alcohol flows a plenty ... The loby bar is an intimate gathering place ... The pool bar is the BEST time ...The bartenders fast become friends ...and they remember your name ...They make you feel so so welcome you never want to leave .... The beach ...Pure sand...clean ...the water is amazing ... Not a bad word can be said ...I have read reviews about having to locate a chair ...or waking early to secure. ..well...that is not true ...I was up every day with the early birds to enjoy the beach and all the tranquil moments Aruba offers ...No one was really reserving beach chairs ...and when we went in the later morning ... afternoon ... beach chairs were found with plenty of ease ....
Check out is with great ease ...But sad to go ...and the staff security front desk etc who see you everyday almost seem sad too ... None of this again would not be possible at this resort with out Sandra Steba, her staff ... the ENTIRE RESORT staff is amazing and beautiful ... Next time I head home I assure you I wont look any where else ....

Room Tip: The only reason for the 3 is because we did not dine for dinner because of my friends living and I w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Elmont, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

HERES THE LETTER THAT WAS SENT DIRECTLY TO GM AND TRAVEL AGENT !!! BEWARE !!!

Dear Sir,

I’m writing to you today to make you aware of the situation during our honeymoon at your Occidental Grand Aruba resort.

My new bride and I were looking forward to spending our honeymoon at your resort from June 8, 2012 to June 13. 2012 and we booked through our travel agent at Liberty Travel. We were made aware that your hotel was part of the “My Time” plan through Liberty Travel which entitled us to special amenities such as welcome bottle of wine and “fruit basket”, daily in room beach towels, and restocked “mini bar”. We had also booked our room with grand concierge service which also entitled us to concierge service, bath robes in room daily and continental breakfast daily if we choose to avail ourselves to it.

We arrived on June 8 as planned and were ushered to the 9th floor to meet with our concierge Valerie or Veronica. Valerie had made reservations for that evening at your L'Olio restaurant but was awaiting email confirmation because no one was answering the phone. She also setup reservations for the Zen restaurant for us. She mentioned that our room was not ready but we would have to be switched from our room the next day because we may not be happy with it, which right away raised our concerns.

After several hours we were able to go to our room but we didn’t have our luggage in the room so that we could change our clothes after traveling all day. We called Valerie and she told us it would be right up. As we surveyed the room we discovered that our room was not ocean view as we had asked and paid for, but it was partial ocean view and had an awful view of the parking alley and air conditioners. After waiting additional time for our luggage we called Valerie back and she said we had to wait and we complained about the room location and her answer was call me tomorrow and we will see what we can do because we are over booked.

After nearly a half an hour we finally were brought our luggage. We then discovered that we had a welcome bottle of wine but no cork screw. Our “fruit basket” was one apple, one brown banana, and one kiwi on a small plate wrapped in plastic wrap. This was far from a so called fruit basket. The “mini bar” was a warm refrigerator with one can of coke one gingerale, one bottle of water and one sprite. We called Valerie again and asked wheres the mini bar, fruit basket, and we don’t even have a cork screw and she was upset and told us “you got what you paid for”, which I thought was totally inappropriate as a paying guest and couldn’t believe this was actually coming from our own concierge which we had paid extra for. In any resort I have stayed at a mini bar is suppose to contain alcohol otherwise it should have been advertised as a mini fridge. Valerie called us back a few minutes later to tell us that she received email back from the L'Olio restaurant that our reservations were confirmed for this evening.

I had to find a maid in the hallway in order to get a cork screw and also ask for a do not disturb sign which also was missing from the room. I was told they didn’t have cork screws by the maid and then a gentleman was in the hallway and I asked him for a cork screw and he left then returned with it. The do not disturb sign was taken from another room across the hallway which left me perplexed as to how that room now will have to try to get one.

That evening we arrived at the L'Olio restaurant for dinner. Our reservations were no where to be found and our names were not on the list after much anguish and frustration fortunately the host took us in and seated us.

That evening we needed towels for the beach and discovered that they and our bath robes were not in the room. The advertised turn down service for the grand concierge service was also not performed. We had to call Valerie to have towels and robes delivered. It seems that the concierge and cleaning staff had no idea what service we were suppose to receive and what grand concierge service meant.

The next morning we decided not to call Valerie and switch rooms because most guests were complaining about the lack of "ocean view" at the pool side of the building and the noise on that side was excessive all day and night.

My wife left the room to get some coffee and could not get back into the room with the key and my key wasn't working either so we called Valerie and she said that they would reset the lock wirelessly and we should go to breakfast and by the time we get back the lock would be okay. Needless to say when we returned the lock didn't work and we were told to find security to get into the room in order to get to any of our belongings. We hunted for security in the lobby to find a security guard that called someone on the phone and told us to go upstairs and wait. We waited in the hallway for them to arrive and they met us and proceeded to work on the lock and tried to program it for nearly an hour as we were locked out and standing in the hallway. We had made plans to visit some sites in town that now we would not be able to do. The security officer had to call a female on the radio so she could come up and try to get the lock to work. After another twenty minutes the lock was able to be opened. At this point our stress level was high and our day was cut short by just trying to relax on the beach as a way to salvage what was left of our day.

Upon returning to the room we discovered that the room had been cleaned but there was only one robe and no beach towels. Again we had to call Valerie but got no answer and after calling several times we got someone who said that Valerie wasn’t there and to call back. Whats the point of having a concierge that is not there or not having someone that could assist us in lieu of her absence? We called the front desk and had to request the items which they brought. That evening no turn down service again.

The next morning we went to make reservations for De Palm Tours Jeep Safari at the De Palm desk because we had no confidence anymore in using our concierge and we didn’t even attempt to go through the long arduous task of trying to reach anyone at all there. That evening no turn down service.

The next morning after we returned from paying for our breakfast across the street because the line was so long for the buffet at the resort we were greeted with a welcome bottle of wine and another so called fruit basket but with an envelope addressed to Mr and Mrs McGregor so we called Valerie and informed her of this because the way things were progressing we may get back from the beach and find someone else in our room. Valerie said it was probably a mistake and apologized and told us to enjoy them. We returned from the beach and low and behold the wine and fruit were gone. After all we had been through I felt it was tacky and petty to remove them from the room, but expected it at this point in our stay. We headed to guest services to talk with someone to try to get it straight about what exactly we were suppose to receive with our grand concierge package. We were stopped by a gentleman selling time shares and we complained to him that we have'nt been able to get towels or anything straight so why would I want to comeback to the resort to buy a time share? In the conversation we had explained to him that if not for the De Palm Tours and activities we booked the rest of our honeymoon would have been a disaster. He asked if we had received our VIP card or discount package and had used it at De Palm tours so that we received a discount and qualified for a free activity after purchasing several activities. We informed him that we didn’t and he had to sit us down to inform us that we should have gotten it and we missed our discounts etc. We did receive an envelope in our room the first day but it only had a 10% discount coupon for a massage. My wife said she needed to speak with someone in charge and we were given Sandra Steba your guest services manager.Sandra appeased us as much as she could after we informed her of the endeavor we have been through and gave us a couples massage for the next day which we used but felt it was to little to late. She also asked if we wanted to eat in the royal club which we did that morning because as usual when we went down in the morning there was a line out the door waiting for breakfast and I did not feel like paying another $40 across the street at a restaurant outside of the resort as we had done several times in order to eat breakfast when I should be using my all inclusive package at the resort.

That evening we went to the bar in the disco after the lobby bar closed and we were told that because of the pool party the bar wasn’t open, so I guess if I wanted a drink as part of my all inclusive package I could not get one even though the disco bar was suppose to be open until 2AM. I went to the casino bar and was told that the bar was a cash bar only. Perplexed and angered again we went to bed early. Finally turn down service was done, so I guess someone finally got the memo, but dirty towels were left in the bathroom and one bath robe again. We called guest services to get them and we were told to call concierge. We called concierge and were told no one was there but they would make sure we received towels, robe etc. No towels or robes ever materialized that evening.

The next morning we complained to Sandra and also informed her about the VIP discount cards and welcome package we never received and the problems with robes, towels, etc and she offered us dinner in the royal club and we told her that if we wanted to use the royal club we would have booked the royal club. We were not interested in using the royal club. She apologized for the inconvenience.

When we arrived back at our room from the beach we had a bottle of champagne, two glasses and a welcome honeymooners letter signed by Sandra offering us breakfast in bed during our stay. This letter was dated for two days earlier and being this was our last night at the resort we decided to have breakfast in bed in the morning being we would be checking out before 10 am.

We went down to the front desk and they told us to go to guest services. The lady at guest services said we get a continental breakfast with this letter and I informed her that we normally get a continental breakfast with concierge service and she looked confused. I asked her why would I get a complimentary letter for breakfast in bed when I already have breakfast in bed with concierge service? She looked even more confused and called Sandra on the phone and I assume she was told that we were correct that concierge service included continental breakfast. I asked her what are you giving me that I don't already have and paid for? She told me she didn't know and left to go talk to Sandra. We left the desk and went to Sandra. At this point I have finally had enough and told Sandra to please keep her free gifts, free continental breakfast that I already get with concierge service and to get a letter that was addressed to us three days ago welcoming us on our last day at the resort is an insult and it seems to me that no matter what color the wrist bands are no one knows what they mean or what they are doing.

Housekeeping doesn’t get the word about what the guests receive with their package and guest services seems to be in the same confused state. If she was in charge of guest services then if they are confused about what a guest receives that seems to be her lack of supervision of staff or a lack of training. Instead of selling guests time shares or vacation club opportunities, more time should be spent on keeping paying guests happy. After all the guests are the ones that would be buying time shares and vacation clubs if they are made welcome and taken care of during their stay. You are in the hospitality business and that means that all guests should be treated the same and given what they have paid for, instead of the staff spending all their time catering to vacation club or royal club guests. All guests are paying customers, and royal club guests take up two floors of your hotel compared to five floors of non royal club guests.

I chose Occidental because I seen that you as a general manager were on Trip Advisor addressing and answering the negative reviews about your hotel. I was impressed with that and felt that you were taking a proactive stance and was genuinely concerned about guests complaints so as to ensure they wouldn’t happen again, but now I have my doubts.

Our honeymoon should have been the happiest day of our lives and that was taken away from us. These memories could never be recreated. I hope that you as general manager would appreciate our dilemma and see to it that other guests get to create memories and enjoy their special time at your resort in the future without having them ruined such as ours was.

S.T.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Grand Aruba, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear finallyfreeforme,

Your case was handled by our Customer Service department, which carried out investigations and follow it up in July. Please contact us at: cserviceoh@do.occidentalhotels.com to discuss further on your experience.
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed here December 16-23, 2012. The hotel was on 70% full at this time according to staff so that was great (the staff mentioned that its not great place to be when the hotel is full for the staff or the visitors). We didnt feel crowded or swarmed at the buffet, restaraunts, beach, etc. There were no long waits for drinks at the bars and they always had several open.

The location is excellent and there are lots of restaraunts and shopping right across the street in walking distance. Also movie theatres and bars. So each night we left the hotel and meandered about.

The hotel was kept very clean and was well kept up (although appearing a little dated ).

Food was hit and miss and I think it was just average in the food area. We always found something we liked but we are not picky people. The restaraunts were the same hit and miss and found the food average. We did eat outside the hotel a couple times to spice things up and had very enjoyable meals.

We liked our room and it was only a partial ocean view although its called ocean view. If you want quiet likely the ONLY option you have is likely the suites at the end of the hotel closest the beach. The entertainment/shopping district right behind ALL the hotels in this section has LOUD live entertainment to about 1AM on weekdays and 2AM weekends. Even with the windows and drapes closed the music still was easily heard in our rooms. For us we didnt mind so much but others were very "disappointed" with the noise issue. We think the suites on the end facing the beach would not get as much noise but we never met anyone from those rooms so its just our guess.

Most staff (80%) were great and friendly (theres always some who hate their job and most of these were in the cooking area). In fact we ended up tipping the buffet people, the bartenders, the room cleaners daily and often.... its the first time (other than cuba) we didnt feel the staff "expected" tipping so we really enjoyed tipping for the great service we recieved and the staff genuinly seemed to appreciate it.

Snorkeling - you have to leave the hotel beach and head to one of the other public beaches. ALL the hotels on this beach only allow visitor to go to a roped off area of maybe 30-40+ yards from the sand.. beyond the rope is significant boat traffic and swimming is not allowed.

This was our first trip to Aruba and would recommend this hotel for people who want to be near the action and entertainment (both on the beach and in the evenings behind the hotels). If your looking for solitude or a quieter beach area (with no boundary ropes lol) I suggest Eagle Beach properties.

No need trying to get Aruba Florins take USA instead as EVERYWHERE takes USA$$

We likely wouldn't stay here again (but enjoyed it on this trip) and definately not at the regular room rate (the price was dropped substantially when we booked with Air Canada Vacations and had been following the hotels/prices for several weeks). If we ever went back to Aruba we would likely go to a different hotel and get a hotel room with kitchen as they have huge COSTCO style foodmart 5 minutes from both Eagle & Palm beach called Superfoods with anything you could ever want (and eat out at more places ).

Aruba One Happy Island!

Room Tip: We stayed in a deluxe ocean view\pool view room 1604 (6th floor facing west). We liked our room and...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Before booking, I had read many reviews about this hotel and I got was I was expecting.

I was there the week before Christmass 2012. The service was good but average. Don't expect a lot of extras because the employees are unionized and a lot of them don't seem to really care (there are a few exceptions). The food was average to above average but nothing exceptionnal. The restaurant that are included in the all inclusive are nothing to write home about. The oriental restaurant didn't really taste like oriental food. The best was the Desire restaurant (best meal I had). The seafood buffet was excellent. The beach is beautifull, well maintained but get their early to get the good chairs. I found the water a bit milky on that beach (Palm beach) compare to other beaches around the Island. It's probably due to the huge amount of human activity in that area. I was at the same beach 20 years ago and the water was perfectly clear. The hotel is a little outdated and the room was fine except for a bug we found in the room(Cockroach).

Activities were fine at the hotel. You must rent a Jeep to go around the Island, it's worth the money.

Overall, for the almost perfect wheather, the beautiful beaches, I would go back to the same Island but to a different hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Occidental Grand Aruba? Share your experiences!