“Trust trip Advisory” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Aruba

Save Saved
You added Occidental Grand Aruba to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Aruba
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 83 | Palm Beach, Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Special Rate
Rates From $ 195
Ranked #20 of 23 hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Garson
“Trust trip Advisory”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Just got back from the Occidental yesterday. We travel a lot and always look at the reviews to get some sense of what to expect. Well I want to tell you that the concenses in our group was thumbs up to the Occidental. From the time we arrived we were wisked up to the ninth floor and thats where we met Viviane. She was pleasent and accomodating. We had forgotten a peice of luggage at the airport and notified Viviane. She contacted the airport and had her husband pick it up and deliver it to the front desk. Now thats going above and beyond.
We stayed in the Royal club and it was just like all the positive reviews. We did not see any signs of insects anywhere. The food was exellent and a good variety. Freddy at the Lobby bar was very polite and very entertaining. I have been to five star hotels and recieved less value for my money. Don't listen to the negative comments. Go enjoy your stay. The beer is cold the alchohol is plenty the pool is great and the Ocean is beautiful.
The only thing is people reserving huts and not showing up. I think if a fee was to be applied this would be rectified.
Satisfied Canadians

Room Tip: If you can afford the upgrade take it. You guaranteed 7,8, or 9 floor with king beds room service an...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

3,237 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (739)
Needham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

1. Location: Cannot be beat on the island. Best beach by far.

2. Palapas: get out EARLY and reserve yours by the towel system.

3. Food: UPGRADE to the royal club. The private restaurant was fantastic and you are treated like royalty. You have the same staff everyday that works very hard to cultivate a relationship with the guest. They aim to please and provide extra service. This is NOT to take away from the rest of the hotel staff, that does its best and works very hard to accomodate. We ate at the a la carte restaurants. The Italian restaurant is the best. The Palm buffet was mediocre, but if you upgrade to the Royal Club you probably will only do lunch there, which is adequate as a beach break.

4. Drink: UPGRADE to the royal club. Better liquor. the bars are adequate. No mojitos though, which was surprising.

5. Cleanliness: Hotel is very clean. Our room was spotless, cleaned every day, plenty of towels etc. Had a lack of hot water issue, but worked out okay.

6. Room: Odd numbered rooms in Tower 1 view the ocean and lighthouse. Rooms on the 9th floor (royal club is 7, 8 and 9) have larger balconies, which was very nice. View was great. We were in room 1921.

6. We had a great time! Night life could use improvement on campus.

7. Staff was great.

Room Tip: See above, Odd numbered room on Tower 1 view lighthouse and have nice views. 9th floor has bigger b...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Roselle Park, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

From Beginning to End, I had the Vacation I had Hope. The Easy part is the Weather & The Beach. As much Sun & water Activities as You Wish. Every Day Jessica would have Ready The Palapa With a Ice Bucket of Cool Beverages and Treating Us like Family. Fine Dining in the Restruants was always Enhanced by the friendliness of the Host [ especially Amando ] and Staff. I will miss most of all the Staff at the Royal Club where we had our Daily Breakfast. Fanny & Melvin were great and I look forward to seeing them again

Room Tip: Our Room was Quieter Not facing the pool Due to Music & Activites...We enjoyed it
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Newark, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I got married at this resort in September 2012. We stayed in an Oceanview room with all inclusive plan. The hotel is very nice, clean and rooms are very comfortable. Our wedding planner Njurely was awesome and made the wedding stress free. We had a private dinner at the Italian restaurant the L'Olio, Edgar was our server and he was very helpful with not only our dinner but with keeping track of our items during the wedding ceremony on the beach. The fun club (event staff) were very entertaining and made it where you did not even need to leave the resort to have things to do. Alan always welcomed you into any event. The beach party was a blast! While at the resort I had a massage done at the beach spa. It was very calming and would recommend enjoying the services the spa has to offer. I also had hair services done in the salon and the staff was also so nice. I felt safe the whole time we were enjoying the resort and also off resort. This resort has the cleanest beach of all! We did a few other things off resort like the Jolly Pirates afternoon cruise and this I would recommend. We also went Skydiving with Skydive Aruba, what a great way to view the whole island. Great adventurous activity!!! We have beautiful wedding pictures, trip pictures and memories. What a wonderful place to get married, spend a honeymoon and visit again. Thanks to all the staff and especially Njurely for all of your help with the wedding. We will definitely be back to visit again. Audra Keener (Matt Keener)

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Seaford, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed here for 5 days just last week. The service at the front desk was terrible. They call aruba the happy island and when i stay at other hotels in aruba that was the case but at the occidental the staff seemed miserable and not eager to please the guest staying at their hotel. Any time we had an issue the staff blew us off and didnt want to be bothered until we asked to speak with managemnt at that time we got some issues addressed. The hotel is not a place to bring your small children to. The hotel rooms are all marble floors and it wasvery danagers for our son when he got out of the shower the floor was very slippery. Also the refridgerator was not cold at all. We got milk for our son and it was constantly getting spoiled due tot he fridge temperature WHen we called the front desk they sent up maintance and he stated that was as cold as the fridge would get. The rooms were all dated... and the FOOD at the buffet was tragic! so gross. We only ate breakfast there. The other restuarants at the hotel such as the chinese food and italian and carribean were all very good... but good luck tryign to get a reservation there. You have to really complain in order to eat there.. because they are always " booked up" I would not stay this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Grand Aruba, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Loritardi
I’m sorry that our team didn’t provide you with the type service you desired. I am surprised by your review since our hotel is known for the incredible service we provide. This is important to us and I discussed your review with the team, so we can take measures to improve.
Our hotel caters to all guests, from and we are a family-friendly resort featuring a Kids Club where activities are focused on fun for the kids.
I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the food in the a la carte restaurants; however I am sorry that for the issues you encountered with our reservations process. We work hard to accommodate all requests and do guarantee a certain number of reservations, depending on the length of stay. Please know that we set up this process to ensure a high quality and efficient service.
At our buffet restaurant, we use fresh and high quality products as to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests, and I have made the chef aware of your concerns.
I also shared your experience with our maintenance manager to ensure all our fridges are working properly.
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. We do hope you will give us another chance in the future.
toronto,ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

Food was great
Our personal hosted Latina made it a special vacation for us
Accommodative and always taking care of our baby needs in the dining room
And always with a wide smile.
Whenever we needed any special needs for the baby she was there for us

• Stayed November 2012
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The "Accidental", as we all called it during our six day trip last week, was a DUMP, putting it nicely. From arrival with no bellman or doorman to check-in having to stand on line waiting for someone to show up and assist us to opening the door to the hotel room and looking at a wall of glass doors full of condensation over looking a parking lot. I then walk in to the hotel room to find a tiled floor dirty from sand, cracked toilet, filthy walls, a hole in the ceiling where a ceiling fan should have been, but was sitting in the hallway, an empty mini fridge that they NEVER filled the entire 6 days I was there. Our friends were "owners" and we were all in regular dumpy hotel rooms with access to the "lounge". The "lounge" served warm bottled water, if available, computers were unavailable as kids were sitting on FaceBook all time, no top shelf liquor at any of the five bars on property. If you want to eat, good luck! The only place to eat breakfast or lunch was the gross buffet with the lowest quality of food. They lie and tell you that the "restaurants" are closed or booked with reservations, but when you walk in, the only tables they have set up to eat at are outside. The inside of the restaurants are literally empty. We were told it was "low season" and the hotel was under occupied. How is that my problem? I didn't pay any less to stay at this no-frills dump! I ended up having to go off property to eat and drink. To add insult to injury, check out was a nightmare. I was told I had to turn in my bracelet, that had been tightly put on my wrist and worn for six days. All of us had ripped off the bracelets and left them on the table during breakfast at the buffet. They told me it would be a $45 charge per bracelet not turned in. I literally had to go back to the buffet and ask for the bracelets. One of the unfriendly miserable non english speaking staff took me to the garbage pails and I had to pick through their contaminated food to get the bracelets. All while the staff was laughing at me and never received an apology.

The GM had the nerve to show his face during the "Thanksgiving" dinner on the beach, which was literally just the buffet food in a differnt setting. I've been a meeting planner working within hotels for over 12 years and I have NEVER experienced a hotel or "resort" of such low quality and poor presentation.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere if you want a clean and quiet room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Grand Aruba, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Nonsense N,
We are truly sorry for the experience you had at our hotel, and I will reach out to you today via TripAdvisor to learn more about your stay.
We have a strict policy in place with wristbands as it is the only way that we can ensure that they are not sold or given to other individuals for use. I offer you our sincerest apologies for the conduct of our team, and have reviewed your experience with the Front Desk Manager. This type of behavior is not condoned by our team and is certainly not typical of our staff.
In regards to the First Club lounge, that is a service offered to Vacation Club timeshare members only, where we offer complementary Wi-Fi service, personalized concierge, gourmet breakfast and lunch snacks, etc.
As for the restaurants, we only open a few during low season including: The Palm (open for breakfast, lunch and dinner), the Beach Club (open for lunch) and the following a la carte restaurants are only open for dinner: L'Olio, El Olvido, Zen, Desire. I’ve discussed your feedback with our executive chef, as we’re always looking to improve the experience for our guests. Our food and beverage team strives to provide a variety of options, and all items are made fresh daily.
I’ve addressed the issues you encountered at reception, and with your room, with our manager. Guest satisfaction is our top priority, and we do our best to provide guests with incredible service.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in our hotel,

Been to Occidental Grand Aruba? Share your experiences!