“Dining as royalties” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Aruba

You added Occidental Grand Aruba to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Aruba
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 83 | Palm Beach, Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
toronto,ontario
“Dining as royalties”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

Food was great
Our personal hosted Latina made it a special vacation for us
Accommodative and always taking care of our baby needs in the dining room
And always with a wide smile.
Whenever we needed any special needs for the baby she was there for us

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (821)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The "Accidental", as we all called it during our six day trip last week, was a DUMP, putting it nicely. From arrival with no bellman or doorman to check-in having to stand on line waiting for someone to show up and assist us to opening the door to the hotel room and looking at a wall of glass doors full of condensation over looking a parking lot. I then walk in to the hotel room to find a tiled floor dirty from sand, cracked toilet, filthy walls, a hole in the ceiling where a ceiling fan should have been, but was sitting in the hallway, an empty mini fridge that they NEVER filled the entire 6 days I was there. Our friends were "owners" and we were all in regular dumpy hotel rooms with access to the "lounge". The "lounge" served warm bottled water, if available, computers were unavailable as kids were sitting on FaceBook all time, no top shelf liquor at any of the five bars on property. If you want to eat, good luck! The only place to eat breakfast or lunch was the gross buffet with the lowest quality of food. They lie and tell you that the "restaurants" are closed or booked with reservations, but when you walk in, the only tables they have set up to eat at are outside. The inside of the restaurants are literally empty. We were told it was "low season" and the hotel was under occupied. How is that my problem? I didn't pay any less to stay at this no-frills dump! I ended up having to go off property to eat and drink. To add insult to injury, check out was a nightmare. I was told I had to turn in my bracelet, that had been tightly put on my wrist and worn for six days. All of us had ripped off the bracelets and left them on the table during breakfast at the buffet. They told me it would be a $45 charge per bracelet not turned in. I literally had to go back to the buffet and ask for the bracelets. One of the unfriendly miserable non english speaking staff took me to the garbage pails and I had to pick through their contaminated food to get the bracelets. All while the staff was laughing at me and never received an apology.

The GM had the nerve to show his face during the "Thanksgiving" dinner on the beach, which was literally just the buffet food in a differnt setting. I've been a meeting planner working within hotels for over 12 years and I have NEVER experienced a hotel or "resort" of such low quality and poor presentation.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere if you want a clean and quiet room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Grand Aruba, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Nonsense N,
We are truly sorry for the experience you had at our hotel, and I will reach out to you today via TripAdvisor to learn more about your stay.
We have a strict policy in place with wristbands as it is the only way that we can ensure that they are not sold or given to other individuals for use. I offer you our sincerest apologies for the conduct of our team, and have reviewed your experience with the Front Desk Manager. This type of behavior is not condoned by our team and is certainly not typical of our staff.
In regards to the First Club lounge, that is a service offered to Vacation Club timeshare members only, where we offer complementary Wi-Fi service, personalized concierge, gourmet breakfast and lunch snacks, etc.
As for the restaurants, we only open a few during low season including: The Palm (open for breakfast, lunch and dinner), the Beach Club (open for lunch) and the following a la carte restaurants are only open for dinner: L'Olio, El Olvido, Zen, Desire. I’ve discussed your feedback with our executive chef, as we’re always looking to improve the experience for our guests. Our food and beverage team strives to provide a variety of options, and all items are made fresh daily.
I’ve addressed the issues you encountered at reception, and with your room, with our manager. Guest satisfaction is our top priority, and we do our best to provide guests with incredible service.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in our hotel,
Coral Springs, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We had stayed at this property several years go and were pleased. What we found now is that their version of a "deluxe ocean front room" is a partial view. This was not disclosed to my travel agent or me. The room was rundown. Paint old and chipping, drawers that didn't close and a tub/shower that you needed a step ladder to get into. The worst was our room lost power for three day's. They attempted to fix it but each fix would only last hours. It turns out that the room above us had a leak which shorted our room. They finally agreed to move our room. They didn't offer any assist on the move. In fact, they made us wait in the hallway because the room was not cleaned yet! In their defense they did deliver a bottle of bubbly to our room but remember it was a "all inclusive" stay so we could get as much drink ourselves! Don't stay ar the Occidental Grand Aruba!!! NOT WORTH THE MONIES SPENT!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Lori W,
I’m sorry that our resort did not meet your expectations, and for the issues you encountered. Unfortunately the loss of electricity that you experienced during your stay was caused by a technical problem from the generator; Our team did their best to repair the issue as soon as possible. I assure you we have taken the necessary measures to prevent this from happening again.
The satisfaction of our guests is top priority, and our staff is trained to go above and beyond to accommodate our guests. I’m surprised that no one assisted you with the move, and have reviewed this with our team.
Thanks for taking the time to send us your comments, please know that they are very important for us as they help us to improve our service.
Regarding your experience in the hotel rooms, please know that our housekeeping team ensures to verify that rooms are in perfect condition before welcoming a new guest, but clearly we didn’t do it this time, we sincere apologize for the inconvenience caused, I will share your comments with our manager and make sure this does not occur further. I will also share your opinion about the ocean view room and I will make sure that our travel agents inform our future guest that the view can be partial or full.
I do hope you’ll return again for a third time and let us provide you with the service you deserve.
Rochester, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed here as the second leg of our honeymoon. The beach area was awesome, with the massage area on the beach (highly recommended) and sporting stuff very close. The pool area was awesome (go there for bingo at 2:30pm!) and the all the restaurants we went to that were part of the hotel were remarkably good. The only downside was that the rooms weren't very clean. The corners were dirty and there was blood on the bathroom wall. However, because we were only in the room to sleep, it didn't bother us too much. As an all-inclusive, its a good deal and was fun!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

We had a wonderful vacation at the Occidental. The resort was clean, staff was friendly, and the restaurant food was delicious. We were not very impressed with the quality of food on the buffet but since we had sprung for the upgrade to the royal club we were able to eat in the royal club private dining room instead. I would highly recommend this upgrade. Our private concierge Hazel was so friendly and helpful. She made our stay smooth and stress free. The beds were comfortable and the view from the balcony was beautiful. The occidental is in a very convenient location with several restaurants and shops off property and within walking distance. The beach and pool areas were clean and the lounge chairs are plentiful. Just be sure to get out early to in order to ensure your desired spot in the shade or in the sun.

• Stayed November 2012
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This was our first time to Aruba and at an Occidental property, gladly we were amazed. We did spring for the Royal Club, while the room was nothing special (believe it is more $ for suites and we had a standard) the staff and service was impeccable, food overall was very good, resort was clean and well maintained. As for the Royal Club, it was great to have members only breakfast, lunch and dinner area, but other than that, for what we paid, not sure I would do it again. Hazel, Fanny, Maria, Melvin, Carlos (also at Italian restaurant) and Lina were great in the members lounge. The lounge closed at 1030 every night; which meant no more top shelf liquor and only local beer. Would be nice to have bars with other choices besides standard drinks for RC members, but I kind of get it. The restaurants were very good (minus the Mexican and buffet), Hibachi (Elmo is the man), Italian and Asian were a great time and great food.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

There were 32 of us who went down here after a wedding in October. It is a all inclusive with pool, beach and bars. The food was good. The staff was fantastic. Very friendly maids and room were clean. What more could you ask for. Will surely return some day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Occidental Grand Aruba? Share your experiences!