“A Factual review” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Aruba

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Aruba to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 79 | Palm Beach - Palm Beach, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba (Formerly Aruba Grand Beach Resort)   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Fall Getaway
Ranked #19 of 23 hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Port Talbot, Wales, United Kingdom
“A Factual review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Riu from 20/09/2013 to 4/10/2013 we boomed premium class with Thomsons very glad we did it was fantastic on arrival at Aruba immigration was very speedy baggage was very slow it was clear them this island was very laid back totally different from home which was nice
When we had our luggage we proceeded to meet our Rep who guided us to our coach for transfer there were 3 coaches full going to the Riu transfer was 15 mins on arrival check in was fast but immediately there was an issue I paid £6000 for this holiday booked a jacuzzi suite and was given a normal jacuzzi suite not the one that Thomsons has a contract with the Riu for Thomsons contract on jacuzzi suite are ones with the jacuzzi inside with columns around and also a second on the balcony I was given the one without the outside tub when I questioned it I was advised no u booked a normal suite so out came my paperwork clearly stating what I booked and paid for I was advised that the hotel could not change my room then I would have to wait till the following day so I did only to be shown a stinking room that they were swapping me too I was not happy so I decided to stay in my first room which had been renovated very recently it was 636 in building B full pool and ocean view but in fairness to Jaz the rep Thomsons compensated me straight away for the error
Yes there is humidity here but that can't be helped same as the wind which is a blessing

now the best and nice bits

This island is amazing magical
The hotel staff, food drinks amazing entertainment though none
We went out in the evening done some Xmas shopping even ate out it was lovely

I would definitely visit again but not go to the Riu maybe the Hyatt

Hope this helps guys

• Stayed September 2013

3,479 people have reviewed this hotel

1955
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (740)
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Firstly aruba is a beautiful island and the weather and the beaches were great. The riu is a little dated and rooms and public areas could do with a freshen. The food was fantastic even in the buffet restaurant. The staff were friendly and helpful. The Thompson's rep jaz not so much. She was helpful if it was profitable for Thompson's but not if you wanted to find out about other excursions. Our last day was awful due to a six hour flight delay. Jaz told us a room would be available for a shower etc but it wasn't and that the all inclusive would continue until we left the hotel but it didn't. We arrived at the airport thirsty and hungry. Go on the trikes aruba tour if you can it was fantastic. There is some issues with the beach area. Umbrellas are reserved as early as six am and sometimes the hotel staff take the towels away as they say they have not to be left on the beach. This caused a few fights between guests as they took beds which had been reserved by others. The pier bars are excellent and have great live music.

Room Tip: We stayed in a junior suite in the b building. Dated but clean and comfortable
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

My husband and I went here on our honeymoon and it was absolutely perfect! Don't listen to the harsh reviews. The rooms were beautiful, food was awesome,and the staff was friendly and fun. We had an amazing time! We will definitely go back to Aruba and stay at the Riu without a doubt!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Cheadle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Having returned from the Riu Palace two weeks ago, I feel obliged to pass on my comments after I have read some of the reviews that others have written.

As stated in the title of my review, the rooms are 3 star, however please take into consideration that when you book this hotel, there are pictures of the rooms available for you to view, so don't expect modern decor. The beds are comfortable, we never had an issue sleeping in our bed and we never asked for a mattress topper. The rooms can feel damp, however this is due to the heat outside - please apply common sense.

Now on to the wonderful honeymoon that my husband and I experienced. Having travelled to numerous all inclusive hotels around the world, I must say that this hotel's food is amazing compared to the standard all inclusive food you are normally served. There is a huge variety served during breakfast, lunch and dinner. I cannot understand how anyone could struggle to eat.

The variety of drinks available was wonderful. Any drink you ask for; they make. Simple. If you sit outside the lobby bar in the evening, let the waiters or waitresses suggest cocktails for you. I know we drank some beautiful concoctions.

The beach is beautiful, make sure you watch the sunset. It's worth watching this at the bar by the pier.

May I also compliment Thomson on their choice of rep in the resort Jaz. Nothing is too much trouble for her and we were often asking questions.

Whilst on the island I would recommend taking a trip round the island, the sea treking and the snorkelling trip.

Aruba is a safe island, so walk around, explore and make sure you go to watch the dancing fountains, it really is a mini Vegas.

Whilst staying in the Riu we stayed in building B in room 825. The room was a junior suite with a limited sea view. However, this in my opinion was not limited. The balcony is quite small, but you can sit outside and have a beverage on your balcony in the evening and at night. Don't forget you can take snacks up to your room from the sports bar.

To summarise; enjoy this wonderful island and the spectacular scenery. The rooms are dated, but that would be the only downfall. Fabulous food, wonderful staff and a pure gem which made our honeymoon a perfect memory.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Annapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Just got back from a wonderful honeymoon at the Riu. Food was great, employees are friendly and amazingly helpful. Freddy, the bartender at the pool bar, is sooo fun! He kept us laughing all day! The pool and beach are amazing. The huts and pool chairs do go fast. Just get up early and place your towel on there. Any later than 8:30 and your probably not getting one until after 12 when some people start to head in. The two things I would say were not so great...the hard beds and the nightlife is pretty dead. We asked for a pillow top (thanks to the other reviews) and that made it much better. We did venture out to the pier bar on the water (I forget the name) for a couple nights and that was a ton of fun! They have bands and its a fun bar. Also, try Kini Kini ATV tours while in Aruba....you will have the time of your life. We loved Aruba and love the Riu! Aruba is by far the most beautiful island we have been to.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I had the best time in my life!!! It was the most wonderful place I have ever been. This was my first time in Aruba and I went solo. The hotel and its employees treated me like a king . Every time I past the lobby, the front desk crew would say hello and ask if everything ok and do I need anything. I requested water for my room and in minutes I would have two bottles and check the minibar. The food was outstanding!!! The 24hour sport bar was awesome waking up in the middle of the hungry the sandwitch and fruit hit the spot Love the crew at the beach bar Freddie was awesome. Great job from everybody Highly recommend this and I am going back this winter with some friends see you then Christopher M Saunders stayed 9/22- 9/27

Room Tip: better view middle building ocean view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We just returned from our honeymoon at the Riu in Aruba. It was our first time to Aruba and the weather was amazing! The hotel was pretty nice as well! Our room was wonderful - we booked a Junior Suite Ocean View, which I don't think they actually have, and therefore, we were upgraded to a Ocean View Suite! When we checked in I noticed that everyone who was in line to check in was having trouble getting the room they actually reserved - likewise the same thing happened to us. We were told they did not have an Ocean View Suite available at all and I kept telling them I only booked a Junior Suite Ocean View - best I could tell - they do not have any JUNIOR suites - only suites! So with that being said, we took our keys and checked into a room 121 for the first night. The room itself was nice however it felt like you were in a basement, and the room was right next to the elevator and it only had a Garden View. We were told to come back to the front desk by 10am the following day. Jonathan (front desk mgr.) promised us that we would be moved to the room we had actually paid for the following day. So at 10am we went to see our friend Jonathan and were told your room is ready - much to our surprise being that we were told it wouldn't be ready until 3pm that day. We moved to room 536 in the new building and ended up with a full view of the ocean and a large walk out porch. We simply could not have asked for a better room in the hotel and from there on out, everything else went smoothly! We had a great time and the weather was perfect. Great trip; wonderful honeymoon; service was good; would stay here again. Couple of notes: beds are very hard; request a pillow top for your mattress - then you'll be good to go! Steakhouse is good; was a little disappointed in the other restaurants (we never ate at the French one); Buffets are great each night - lots of variety and they will cook you pretty much anything you'd like. Chairs on the beach and at the pool are reserved very early - so if you want a chair for the day - get up early!!! All in all - glad we stayed here, it was great to not have to worry about anything! If you are picky about sand, know that the beach here has shells and is a bit rough on your feet. The sand also can get very hot at the hotel - however I only experienced this one day and did not experience this anywhere else. The sand in the water at the Riu is extremely soft - no need to water shoes here. If you walk north on the beach you will notice that the sand at the Radisson, Hyatt, Marriott etc. is much softer. This leads me to believe that the resorts have brought in some of their own sand. Regardless, it's still great and the water is crystal clear! We are looking forward to returning as soon as possible!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba? Share your experiences!