“Fabulous Honeymoon at the Riu...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Aruba

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Aruba to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 79 | Palm Beach - Palm Beach, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba (Formerly Aruba Grand Beach Resort)   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #19 of 23 hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Annapolis
“Fabulous Honeymoon at the Riu...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Just got back from a wonderful honeymoon at the Riu. Food was great, employees are friendly and amazingly helpful. Freddy, the bartender at the pool bar, is sooo fun! He kept us laughing all day! The pool and beach are amazing. The huts and pool chairs do go fast. Just get up early and place your towel on there. Any later than 8:30 and your probably not getting one until after 12 when some people start to head in. The two things I would say were not so great...the hard beds and the nightlife is pretty dead. We asked for a pillow top (thanks to the other reviews) and that made it much better. We did venture out to the pier bar on the water (I forget the name) for a couple nights and that was a ton of fun! They have bands and its a fun bar. Also, try Kini Kini ATV tours while in Aruba....you will have the time of your life. We loved Aruba and love the Riu! Aruba is by far the most beautiful island we have been to.

3,365 people have reviewed this hotel

1904
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (703)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I had the best time in my life!!! It was the most wonderful place I have ever been. This was my first time in Aruba and I went solo. The hotel and its employees treated me like a king . Every time I past the lobby, the front desk crew would say hello and ask if everything ok and do I need anything. I requested water for my room and in minutes I would have two bottles and check the minibar. The food was outstanding!!! The 24hour sport bar was awesome waking up in the middle of the hungry the sandwitch and fruit hit the spot Love the crew at the beach bar Freddie was awesome. Great job from everybody Highly recommend this and I am going back this winter with some friends see you then Christopher M Saunders stayed 9/22- 9/27

Room Tip: better view middle building ocean view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We just returned from our honeymoon at the Riu in Aruba. It was our first time to Aruba and the weather was amazing! The hotel was pretty nice as well! Our room was wonderful - we booked a Junior Suite Ocean View, which I don't think they actually have, and therefore, we were upgraded to a Ocean View Suite! When we checked in I noticed that everyone who was in line to check in was having trouble getting the room they actually reserved - likewise the same thing happened to us. We were told they did not have an Ocean View Suite available at all and I kept telling them I only booked a Junior Suite Ocean View - best I could tell - they do not have any JUNIOR suites - only suites! So with that being said, we took our keys and checked into a room 121 for the first night. The room itself was nice however it felt like you were in a basement, and the room was right next to the elevator and it only had a Garden View. We were told to come back to the front desk by 10am the following day. Jonathan (front desk mgr.) promised us that we would be moved to the room we had actually paid for the following day. So at 10am we went to see our friend Jonathan and were told your room is ready - much to our surprise being that we were told it wouldn't be ready until 3pm that day. We moved to room 536 in the new building and ended up with a full view of the ocean and a large walk out porch. We simply could not have asked for a better room in the hotel and from there on out, everything else went smoothly! We had a great time and the weather was perfect. Great trip; wonderful honeymoon; service was good; would stay here again. Couple of notes: beds are very hard; request a pillow top for your mattress - then you'll be good to go! Steakhouse is good; was a little disappointed in the other restaurants (we never ate at the French one); Buffets are great each night - lots of variety and they will cook you pretty much anything you'd like. Chairs on the beach and at the pool are reserved very early - so if you want a chair for the day - get up early!!! All in all - glad we stayed here, it was great to not have to worry about anything! If you are picky about sand, know that the beach here has shells and is a bit rough on your feet. The sand also can get very hot at the hotel - however I only experienced this one day and did not experience this anywhere else. The sand in the water at the Riu is extremely soft - no need to water shoes here. If you walk north on the beach you will notice that the sand at the Radisson, Hyatt, Marriott etc. is much softer. This leads me to believe that the resorts have brought in some of their own sand. Regardless, it's still great and the water is crystal clear! We are looking forward to returning as soon as possible!

Thorold
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Just loved our trip to Palm Beach, Aruba, September 23-30, 2013, staying at the Riu Palace. First time at a Riu and they did not disappoint! It is breathtaking and a well cared for property. There are a few areas that will be in need of refurbishing (ceilings in the outdoor restaurant) but it is not offensive and is just what happens with an oceanside resort over time. The staff are friendly and hard working. Only had one restaurant worker that seemed like she didn't want to be there but I'm pretty sure we all have days like that while we're waiting for our lotto numbers to come in. I'll list my pros and cons from this trip...
Pros - nice accomodation, great food with huge variety. Enjoyed the Italian restaurant twice and the steak house once, beach is a bit shelly compared to the beach a short walk north and south, close to entertainment spots - Hard Rock and Senor Frogs - fun places! Close to markets and shopping, on site casino. I had read about the lack of entertainment here - our group found the poolside staff very entertaining mid afternoon to early evening and there is regular nightly entertainment on the 2nd Floor bar area, which was fine with our group of 10.
Cons - Aruba is windy all the time, it's a warm wind of course, but I'm not used to this from other island destinations. You would melt if it wasn't blowing I guess. Our temps were 90-95 all week. The usual towel reservation system is alive and well in Aruba both pool side and in the beach cabanas. The resort advertises that towels don't reserve spots but people do it anyway and therefore the usual arguments were happening. It was so humid...our personal beach towels would rarely dry even after flapping in the wind on the balcony all night. Sheets and blankets felt heavy with dampness and moisture. Great for anyone with dry skin though - leave your excema meds at home! But if your asthmatic,take your puffer, as the air is heavy and thick at times.
Tips: watch for the Aloe Man on the Beach - he's the only peddler allowed on the beach and quite entertaining.
Do your restaurant reservations early, they fill up fast.
Play the giant Jenga game by the bar, lots of fun!
Do the Jolly Pirate tour, great half day of snorkelling. The walk to the pier is at least 20 minutes along the beach so plan accordingly.

Room Tip: Junior Suite side ocean view facing the pool is just as good if not better than oceanview. Don'...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Where do I start? We stayed at Riu Palace Aruba for 5 nights. The palace level of this resort chain is supposed to be the best, so we didn't hesitate to book. But this resort is no 5-start resort as they advertise, its lucky if it's a 3-star. If you have never been at an all-inclusive resort this is a great place to get your feet wet, once you have traveled to some real 5-star resorts you will realize that this resort is doesn't even come close. We have been at countless All-Inclusive resorts all over the Caribbean and we know what to expect from a 5-start resort. This is a long but honest review so if you do decide to stay at this resort don't say you were not warned.

We booked our vacation through Apple Vacations. If you traveled with Apple Vacations before you know how their service works. When you arrive at the airport an apple representative greets you, gets you to your transportation and you are on your way to the resort. Then at the resort there is a representative with which you can book all your excursions through or someone to talk to if you have an issues at the resort. Well in Aruba you will be in for a rude awakening. Even though our travel agent told us that there will be an Apple Vacations rep at the airport, when we arrived there was no one there. Eventually a rep from De Palm Tours was able to get us transportation to our resort. There isn't an Apple Vacations rep at the resort either, so if you have problems you are on your own. Good luck since getting a hold of a manager is like finding a needle in a hay stack. We asked for a manager on two occasions non of which were successful.

Pre-Arrival:
If you need to contact the resort before arriving, good luck!! I tried for an entire month, trying to get a few answers before I arrived, to no avail. My travel agent tried to get in contact with them too. The resort finally responded to my travel agent, when I was two days into my vacation, lot of good it does then. You would think that the resort staff would check the list of guests and personally contact me, nope that didn't happen. If they would have, my vacation might have been saved.

Resort:
From the outside the resort looks really nice, even thought it is an older property. There really aren't too many new resorts on the island but I did hear that they will be moving the Port of Aruba to make room for new resorts in the next couple of years. The resort is about a 30 min ride from the airport and its one of the first hotels on the high-rise part of Palm Beach. The resort does have a well maintained garden with water fountains and a large pool enclosed by the 3 buildings that make up the resort. We didn't see too much wildlife at this resort except for a few birds. Even thought it rained on several occasions, mosquitoes were not an issue at the resort.

Check-In:
Upon arriving at the hotel we walked up to the main desk, and right away we could tell that this was going to be a very dull vacation. No good afternoon, no Welcome Home, no emotion from the reception desk. The three people working the reception desk didn't have smiles on their faces, it seemed like either they were mad or they didn't care that they have new guests arriving. We got our wristbands and an envelop with hotel keys and towel cards. Unlike the resorts that we have visited thus far everyone welcomes you with open arms, welcomes you home with smiles on their face and they cant wait to be of assistance to you, you get the feeling like you are part of their family. No one offered to explain were anything is, or show us a map of the resort; it was more like figure it out on your own. The only instruction we got was that your room is in that building over there. We got to our room, but our room card did not work, we tried both cards, nothing! There was another couple that was also checking in at the same time we were and had the room next to us, their room card didn't work either, coincidence? I don't think so. Upon returning to reception I was helped by another individual, same story no smile or emotion. I explained that my key did not work, so he decided to re-scan them. After re-coding the cards he said These should work now!, there was no apology, I got the vibe that it was my fault that my room card did not work. This was a very big disgrace. Aruba is called One Happy Island, in the first 30 min I have yet to see that at this resort.

Weather:
We traveled during the first week of May and the weather was great, in the 90's every day, but it really didn't feel that hot everyday since its pretty windy on the island. There were passing showers early in the morning, but then quickly cleared up.

Rooms:
We stayed in room 1031, on the 10th floor of Building B. Our room was very small, out of date and had a weird smell to it (we couldn't pinpoint if the smell was mold or cigarettes). The rooms at this resort get one star. It seemed like everything was broken in our room. The locking mechanism on the door to our balcony was broken, both the unlocked and locked position opened the door. We were on the 10th floor but still, my door should not be left unlocked. The mirror in the bathroom had large 3 inch circles in random spots, if something cant be cleaned then replace it, the price that they charge for one night should easily cover the cost. Our shower did not work. One night I saw a maintenance worker in the hall and told him about it, he fix it, too bad it only worked for that one night. We resorted to taking baths for the rest of our stay. We had a hydro-massage tub, we gave that a try and the jets weren't shooting out water as they should, they were lightly squirting water. Our toilet was also leaking water, every morning we awoke to a puddle of water next to the toilet. And the beds are one of the worst that I have ever slept on, saying that the beds are rock hard is an understatement. Sleeping on the floor, on the sand at the beach or even a lounge chair would have been more comfortable. There was a little couch in the room, but it seemed to scummy to sit on. The TV in the room also needs an upgrade. You might ask why complain about the tv, well the entertainment at this resort is horrible so after dinner your tv is your best friend. There was a mini-fridge in the room, it contained 6 beers, 2 cans of 7-up, 4 cans of Pepsi, 2 bottles of water and 2 bottles of club soda. That only filled half of the fridge. The 8oz beers are so small that we were able to finish all 6 in a short amount of time. Every single day we ran out of water, Pepsi and beer. It's a disgrace. We also had 4 bottles of liquor in a dispenser: vodka, whisky, rum & brandy. We finish our whisky by the third night; it never got refilled during out stay. As far as the amenities you get 2 hydro massage soaps, shower gel, conditioner, and moisturizer from Lavarino Cosso Italy. Oddly enough there was no shampoo. We used the two hydro massage soaps and never got any more during our stay. On the positive side we did have plenty of towels, easily fit all of our stuff into the spacious safe, the air conditioner worked well and the view was great from the balcony.

Bars:
The bars have a very limited selection of alcohol, the smallest selection that we have seen at a resort, which is kind of disappointing. Even the lobby bar, Bon Bini, didn't have much of a selection. We usually like to try new drinks while on vacation, and not drink the usual rum and coke or sprite and vodka that we have enough of at home. Not at this resort.
We did like the 24hr snacks at the Sports Bar, there were a few items to choose from: sandwiches, fruits, a few sweets, hotdogs, nachos with cheese and popcorn on most days. Service at the Sports bar was also good. What really got to us at the sports bar was that all the pool tables and arcade games required payment? I have to say this is a first, other resorts we stayed at the pool tables were free, you didn't have to pay $2 per game. What a complete joke. I guess the sports bar is not part of the all inclusive package.

24hr Room Service:
The room service menu that is in the room literally has 9 items on it. Complete joke. If you are going to offer room service with such a small variety don't even offer it at all.

Restaurants:
Overall the food was good at all of the restaurants, there was a good variety of food at the buffets. Some items did repeat but there were new items daily.
The service in the restaurants is horrible. Everyday that we walked into breakfast at Don Nicolas, not one time were we ever walked to a table, the usual staff response was, We are not busy now - go find a table, we didn't mind that but what's the point of having staff if they are not doing anything. Service for breakfast is hit or miss, there were two occasions where we were half way done with our breakfast when the server came up and asked if we want coffee. Really? We are almost done, why would we want coffee? Picking up used plates had the same issue, sometimes they were taken away as soon as you were done eating and other time plates stacked up on your table until someone finally noticed.
Lunch was no different, you walked into Don Nicolas or Nautilus, and found your own table as the staff stood around talking to each other, and apparently their conversations were more important than attending to the guests. Not one time were we asked if we wanted something to drink during lunch, drinks are self service during lunch, while staff stands around talking to each other. But what I noticed during our lunch on our second day at the resort was appalling. As I was walking up to the buffet I noticed that there was a young lady in her early 20's that walked into the restaurant and up to the snack bar in her bathing suit, I saw an immediate reaction from two male staff members that were standing about 10 feet away from her. They immediately checked her out and were talking amongst each other as they couldn't keep their eyes off of her. This is not something that the staff should be doing and the fact that I as well as other guests saw this; reflects poorly on the resort and their staff.
Dinner at the buffets was the same story as breakfast; you found your own table, every day. Drink choices were water or wine, not one time did any server ask if we wanted a drink from the bar. The service did seem a little better at dinner time. As far as the specialty restaurants we only went to two, Krystal & Sayuri. Same story we had to pick our own table. We did expect a larger choice in food in the specialty restaurants, but unfortunately there are only 2-3 appetizers, entrees and desert per restaurant. The service was way better at the two specialty restaurants. The portion size is very small at the specialty restaurants so make sure to plan on going to the buffet after your meal.

Staff:
Every resort that we have went to, no matter how big or small, it's the staff that makes the hotel a success, that is not the case at this resort. I already mentioned how we were greeted and treated in the lobby. But the other things we noticed, is that when it comes to the bars, especially noticeable at Palm Beach bar, the bar tenders are more concerned with their conversation with other bartenders/waitresses than with serving the guests. On several occasions when I went to the bar to order a drink, my order was taken and as the bartender was making it she was talking with the other staff at the bar. Other bar tenders at the bar we busy checking their cell phones most of the time, sometimes holding on to their phone while making a drink. This should not exist. The service at the Palm Beach bar was very slow. The service was pretty good at the other bars. Aruba is called, One Happy Island, not at this resort, most of the staff did not look happy, it seemed to us like they were being forced to work.

Beach:
The beach is great, kept pretty clean. There is rebar at the entrance to the beach, looks like they tore down something but left the foundation, anyone can easily get hurt while walking to the beach. There were a lot of tiki-huts at the beach, there were signs that say no reserving of huts, but no one monitors this. If you make it to the beach at 8am there are no more huts available. It seems like people get up at 5 or 6am to go leave a towel or something that would mark their hut. Our last day we went to the beach at 6am, we were able to find 5 huts on the entire beach that were not reserved yet. If someone wants to reserve a hut, then that's fine but use it. Some people showed up at their hut at around noon or even later. This is not nice, someone could have used that hut until then. The resort should find a way to enforce this.
The resort does provide lounge chairs at the beach, if you manage to find a newer one you will have a comfortable day, but the problem that we ran into is later on in the day around 6pm, the staff at the resort start to gather all the chairs, they pick up all the chairs that are not being used, which is fine, but if you happen to go into the water around that time, you will come back to your tiki-hut with no chairs, how are you supposed to dry off and watch the sunset? A lot of the chairs were old, I don't think its too much to ask for to have all newer chairs, especially when you consider the price that the resort charges per night. If you arrived late at the beach were all the good chairs were taken you were stuck with an old, sagging and uncomfortable chair.

Towel Cards:
Towel cards also need to be improved. There is a $20 fee if the card is lost, seriously? The towels that we were using during our stay were all old and ready to be thrown out. When we asked if we can have 2 extra towels we were turned down, because they claimed that they will run out shortly. The towel hut never had enough towels, you either had to go and get towels as soon as they opened in the morning or use your room towels. Whenever they ran out of towels, they tell everyone that they will have more in 20min, if you come back in 20min they still don't have towels. How hard is it to have enough towels on hand?

Pool:
The swimming pool was nice and large, one of the larger ones that we have seen, but the jacuzzi was integrated with the pool, which only meant one thing, the water was cold. What's the point of a jacuzzi when the water is cold? Jacuzzis should be hot with powerful jets, not pool water temperature. The staff needs to do a better job of cleaning up by the pool, by the time it is about 2pm there were plastic drink cups everywhere, floating in the pool, all around the pool deck, plus with it being windy there are plenty of cups just moving around under lounge chairs. If the staff walked around more often and cleaned up the pool area, it would be a more pleasant place. The other issue we noticed at the pool is that when you get a drink and sit down on a lounge chair there is no place to put your drink, no little table, you have to hold your drink or put it on the ground.

Entertainment:
Entertainment and activities by the pool are one of the most important items for us when we are on vacation, we do want to relax but we also want to have a little fun and take part in some games or see some entertainment at night. I do have to say that the entertainment at this resort is one of the worst that we have seen in our last 10+ years of travel. We only saw the entertainment team by the pool doing activities at around 3-4pm. There were a bunch of activities displayed on the activities board by the lobby, but we never saw many of them take place. The activities board was a mess, items falling off of it, nightly entertainment was posted but nothing telling you the time or the location, horrible way of promoting the entertainment. Of the 5 nights that we were there, we were only able to catch one show, and that was because we were in the lobby bar when the show started. The entertainment was a disgrace.

Casino:
We visited the casino one night, we probably spent about 5min in it. First of all it smelled horrible, my guess was cigarettes. Also you had to pay for drinks. What kind of all inclusive is this? When we asked supposedly the Casino is not part of the resort.

Customer Service:
I have to say the customer service at this resort is the worst that I have seen. Not only were the staff members rude at check-in but during our entire stay no one called to see if we were ok, or if we need anything else to make our vacation a success. Usually when you check into a resort, they give you a quick tour to familiarize their guests with the resorts, not here. They give you a map and point you to the building where your room is in.

Wristbands:
The most annoying item was the wristbands, I know the resort tries to make sure that they are only serving their guests but there are other ways around it, other resorts have figured this out, Riu needs to jump on board also. The wristbands not only get more annoying and irritating as your vacation goes on but the frequent cause of scratches when applying sunscreen. The staff does make it quite obvious in checking the bracelets at the bars/restaurants, just watch their eyes before they serve you.

Social Networking:
The Riu brand should also have a better social networking presence. Most of the resorts that I have stated at have facebook pages, where you can connect with other guests that will be staying there during your stay. You can share pictures; the resort can let guests know of upcoming events, or you can get in touch with the resort.

Surveys:
The resort should also consider giving each guest an exit survey to rate the resort. Every resort we have stayed at does this now, it will only help the resort work out its problems. This resort does have a lot to work on and what better way than to get feedback from your guests.

RIU Corporate:
After my vacation I complained to the corporate office. They were surprised that our vacation was disappointing and that their resort didn't meet our standards. And said that it doesn't happen often. What else are they going to say? They gave me 3,000 Riu rewards points for my troubles. Well when I tried to call and use my points for a booking, only 1000 or so points can be used at a time. So they expect me to spend 3 vacations with them, spending over $6k in order to use the points that they awarded to me, Great Joke! but your not going to see another penny from me.

This resort only get two stars 1 for location/view from room and one for food. Other than that the rest of the resort has a lot to work on before they can be a 5-star resort.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Returned from our honeymoon at the Riu Palace on Sept 14th 2013, after a 14night stay. After reading bad reviews before leaving about the riu palace we were expecting the worse, but had no need to worry as the hotel and room was absolutely amazing!! We had booked a junior suite and was given room 423 which was very impressive. Food in the buffet resaturant was excellent with plenty of choice for all tastes. We used the buffet most nights as the food was so nice. We tried the italian and the steak restaurant which were both really good. Couldn't be any closer to beach and plenty of sunbeds to choose from, only went in pool a couple of times but again this was a good pool.

Did the jeep safari natural pool trip which was very good and informative about the island but the natural pool is very dangerous due to access.

Catamaran trip was a good experience as you get to snorkel at three sites one of which has a sunken ship. Top up on the suncream regular though as you burn without realising it!!!!

Thomson rep Jaz was really good and the best welcome meeting we've ever attended as she spoke loud and clear and was very informative, didn't try to push the trips like some do...

Riu palace is situated close to bars and shops which gives you somewhere to walk of an evening. Riu palace entertainment at night is very low key, but they have some good bands on at the pier.

Great Honeymoon!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: worth upgrading to a junior suite.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Just returned from a 5 night 6 day trip to Aruba, wish we would have stayed a little longer. We stayed at the Riu Palace on Palm Beach. Have to say the room was awesome. Originally book the Jr. Suite with the ocean view, but stayed in the Jacuzzi Suite. I would never have paid for this room but had gotten this room due to a mix up with our reservations. We ended up wasting about three hours of our vacation when we first got there waiting for them to resolve the issue. The hotel gave us a ticket so we could eat and drink while they worked on the situation. When they finally got everything figured out they ended up giving us a Jacuzzi Suite. Santana, the person at the front desk that helped us with everything was very nice, and even called after we had gotten into the room to make sure we were happy.

As for the stay the only thing I would complain about was the bed was hard and there was a musty kind of smell in the rooms. The next time I go on vacation I am tempted to bring my own pillow and blanket.

As for the food we did not go to any of the ala carte restaurants. I don’t know about anyone else I just do not like having to make reservations. When I am on vacation I like to just relax and do what I want when I want. So we ate in the Don Nicolas for dinner and at the Nautical for our lunches. We only made it down for breakfast the day we left. The food was good. The selection was great. And the alcohol was top shelf.

Note to those of you out there who would like to do a little snorkeling. I bought some snorkeling gear on Amazon for about $60.00, along with some underwater cameras. So worth the cost if you figure that if you would pay to go on one of those snorkeling tours it would cost almost that much for one time out. There is a spot down the beach just a few minutes’ walk from the hotel in front of the Police Station, that you can do some snorkeling. Especially for the beginner, the water is shallow and there is a lot to see. We found plenty of fish, shells, crabs, lobsters, and this amazing star fish. We spent the last two days down there just exploring and taking pictures. Was the best part of our vacation, wish we would have found this spot earlier.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba? Share your experiences!