“Best Caribbean beach but with order, rules and American stores” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Aruba

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Aruba to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 79, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba (Formerly Aruba Grand Beach Resort)   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Early Winter Specials
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Santiago, chile
“Best Caribbean beach but with order, rules and American stores”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed during the week 18 to June 22 at the RIU Palace Aruba. It is located in the Palm Beach area, which is the best beach from the point of view of the sea, its blue color, no waves, and a wide beach with many palm trees, and the traditional charm of the best beaches in the Caribbean.
Regarding the reviews I've read, the truth about the problem of reserve chairs and umbrellas is effective, especially in the pool, because you have to get up early to be eligible to have your own chair, however, there were always beach chairs available, and what was more complex was to find a good shade, however, there is always possibility of sharing with other passengers, if you are just two people.
Among the good things of the hotel, I can highlight:
- Its spacious, with 450 rooms. It does not look crowded at the pool, beach, restaurants. It is always possible to attend without feeling everywhere with many people around. It is the best all inclusive hotel in Aruba, according to all individuals and dealers we spoke. Indeed there are other hotels, which may be more luxurious in palm beach (Marriot (trendwind area) or Hyatt), but they have no meals included, therefore must be paid every thing you eat. Therefore, in these hotels you have to go to the hotel's restaurants or external restaurants wallet in hand always. For this reason, in this sector of streets around the hotels, there are a lot of trade. That can not be viewed in other Caribbean resorts. Just walk a few blocks and is full of restaurants, shopping, mall, crafts, nightclubs, bars, etc.. You can have a great time in the day and at night, walking only a few minutes, because it's all very close. No automobile lease required. The same, there are taxis and buses to move within the island.
-The beach is the best I've seen, compared to Punta Cana, Bahamas - Paradise Island, Brazil, etc.. Just say that the beach of the first hotels Babaro Beach (Punta Cana) had a beach and sea of ​​similar characteristics in terms of no waves and shallow, where you can walk inside.
-The downtown is nearby and you can visit local shops, to high fashion and design. It is a place that has all the charm of the Caribbean, but without the usual clutter that characterizes these countries. Things work pretty well, because they have a lot of culture of USA in their shops, attention. Go to buy anything outside the hotel is a pleasure. No such harassment seen in center America and the Dominican Republic. The vendors do not pressure you at all, is very normal like when you buy in your country. The same happens at the airport. When you arrive with your luggage, do not harass a group of helpers offering carts. The carts are always available (free) and no one pressures you. It is best to have a culture rather more American or European, and not so Caribbean. However, the joy of the hotel staff is very Caribbean and that is appreciated.

Inside the hotel the bad things, I can highlight:
-The rooms, despite being quite clean and spacious, with poor quality bed. It is very wide, which is good (easily fit 3 people), but it is extremely hard. It seems to be sleeping on tables and not a soft mattress. Urgently lacks a change of mattresses.
-The TV is very old (10 years old at least), and must renew urgent. We did not see anything about TV, but if you go with children, they will need. With the humidity in this season, the TV sounded like he was cooking something inside.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (775)
  • Polish first
Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on 7th June 2013 for 2 weeks for our honeymoon. We brought our baby with us too. We were on 9th floor and had a junior suite with full sea view in the main building which was amazing. Only issue I had was the lifts. They were constantly out of order and seemed to jump all the time. I am terrified of lifts so had to walk up 9 flights of stairs every day after this happened so many times.

The staff were amazing especially the dining staff. Big thanks to Carlos and his staff who sterlised all our baby bottles for us each morning. He made our life so much easier doing this. They were ever so friendly. They loved our little boy too and he loved them.

The pool was huge. The only problem was the swim up bar which i think should be taken away. Folk were just pouring drinks into the pool and it was awful so dirty. My wee boy had to go into the pool and that shouldnt have been happening.

The beach is amazing. Never seen anything like it before. Eagle beach is fab. You need to go see the Divi Divi Trees. We went into Oranasted one day but its being done up at present and is just a mess just now.

Aruba is very safe country. You can go walking about at night and its fine.

We did a few trips, De Palm Island and also Half Day Tour of the Island which turned into pretty much a full day as the tour guide is very thorough.

Jaz was our rep with Thomson and I didnt find her that helpful. Tried to say I only booked a half day trip when it was a full day. In the end we used De Palm Tours who Thomson worked with anyway and least that way they get the full amount of money and are very helpful.

There is lots of dance acts on at night for the entertainment but that is about it. There is Senior Frogs just down from the hotel but beware the drinks are really expensive.

We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a junior suite. The view is totally worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
shaolin, NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

honeymoon. its all inclusive but aruba is so great do you really need all inclusive? resturants there were good. reservations were not that diffucult to make & always got the place of my choice.

swim up bar was good.. service is a bit slow... recommend.. but if its ur first time there... theres no need for all inclusve..... but bars close at 1pm..and RIU sports bar open till 3am, that was nice... i was in main building, and eleveators r kinda slow. so you may want to do lower floor. but top floor has an EPIC VIEW

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Hello, we stayed at the riu for 2 weeks in may and had our wedding there the thing is we have a lot to say but will save it for the next review, our main concern is we had our wedding professionally photographed and was giving a sd chip with all our wedding photos on it and we have lost it and was wondering if anyone has came across it were devastated that we have lost all our wedding memories so would be greatful if anyone has found it thank you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I am sure you are asking how can you give a review 5 stars with a title like that.??

We have just returned from two weeks at the Riu Palace Aruba.

The food, staff, beach and weather were amazing.

Our Rep. Jaz was excellent.

The problem was that we had items stolen from our room.

The hotel did not care and no-one from the hotel acknowledged the incident.

We even called the police in to file a report.

If you dig and ask enough questions there is definitely an underlying issue with theft in this hotel.

The items were not high value jewellery, that was looked in the safe. The items were designer leather flip flops; two pairs were taken.

You have been warned

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We just got back from a week honeymoon vacation at the Riu in Aruba. We stayed from June 10-17th. When we first arrived in Aruba we took a taxi to the hotel which cost $25. When we arrived we checked in right away and got served a nice cold Aruba Reba punch. Our room wasn't ready so they kept our bags and we made our way down to view the resort. It's a beautiful property with everything in close proximity. When we arrived we got towels and have a quick lunch at the buffet just next to the hotel. The food was decent and lots of variety. I am a vey picky eater and I had no problem finding anything to eat.

The overall experience at the RIU was fantastic, people are friendly and staff was great.

Some of the downfalls that the hotel should look at improving on:

1. The ELEVATORS: We got a room on the 10th floor facing the ocean (Beautiful room), but there are only 2 elevators which most of the time one was down and needed to be fixed. So wait times could range from a few minutes to almost 30 minutes. One of the evenings when we were coming back from the lounge, our elevator dropped down from the 10th to the 9th floor. It was a very frightening feeling. Once speaking to some people we met there, this actually happend to a few others also. So BEWARE of this.

2. The TOWEL SERVICE AT THE POOL: On several different occasions, the towel service by the pool ran out of towels. We changed them usually early in the morning, but even at 8am they were out leaving us without towels for almost an hour. Bring your own towels might be a wise idea. Also another good tip that I read prior to going is that it is VERY windy in Aruba. With that being said, bring some clothes pins to hold down your towel when you are away from your sun bed. I saw on several occasions peoples towels flying away into the pool and onto other people.

We did a few excusions while in Aruba. The first being a snorkeling catermaran tour. This included 3 snorkel stops, and a hot lunch. It was about $78 per person and worth every penny. The seconf excusion we did was an all day Jeep Safari tour of the Island. This one was a bit pricer (about $104) per person. We saw the whole countryside, visited the donkey sanctuary, Ostrich farm, as well a snorkel adventure at baby beach. This included a lunch a one of their local restuarants and the food was fabulous.

We booked both of these and loved them both. We ventured out to the main strip a few nights and the city lights up at night. We had a few drinks a Senor Frogs. The bar is more for the 18-25 range, but was fun when we went.

We felt completly safe and I would definatly go back.

Room Tip: Higher Level in the middle middle. View is specatular!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed for the week of June 10-17, 2013. This was our second stay at the Riu Palace Aruba and we look forward to a third visit! Everything was up to the same standard we remembered on our first trip here in May 2009 for our Honeymoon. This time was a little different as I am 5 months pregnant.

For anyone wondering, this hotel and this island is EXCELLENT to stay at while pregnant. I felt completely safe with the food, the water, the people/staff and touring the island as a whole.

ROOM - Last time we stayed, we had a full ocean view junior suite in the middle building. This time we had a partial ocean view junior suite in the new building and loved the view 100 times better. The balcony was smaller but spectacular. The beds are hard so if you are not used to it, it may cause a problem for you. You can ask for a pillow top from the front desk but my husband and I opted out. The housekeeping staff are wonderful and very courteous.

FOOD - Still absolutely amazing! I was not disappointed. The buffet is delicious morning, noon and night. The one thing I don't think anyone prepares you for are the birds during breakfast/lunch service. If you are not a fan of birds being around your table while you eat, I would suggest you eat inside for those two services. We did not have a problem with it but some guests definitely did. We went to all the reserve only restaurants and they were absolutely wonderful as well. The seating times are 6:30pm and 9pm. You do have to reserve them between 8am and 11am on the day of but to me it's worth it. The best one by far is the Nautilus restaurant (steak house). We went to this one twice and both times ordered the surf and turf. Their medium cooked tenderloin is to die for. Perfectly cooked so much so that you can cut the steak with a butter knife. The only issue is that they do serve you A LOT of food so come prepared to eat.

BARS/ALCOHOL - Since I'm pregnant I was not able to indulge in alcohol however the staff and bar tenders were VERY helpful in making me drinks that were non-alcoholic and delicious so I didn't feel left out. My husband never had a complaint about a drink and there a tons and tons of alcoholic beverages to choose from. They do not skimp out on the alcohol at this resort. If you are there to drink, you wont be disappointed. The mudslides from the terrace bar were amazing. I had a little sip of my husbands and would highly recommend. There is one bar tender at the swim up bar that stands out named Felix. Absolutely wonderful guy and extremely friendly.

POOL - Last time we were there I had no complaints however this time, the pool did not seem as well maintained. They definitely do need a little more cleaning maintenance. My husband and I spent most of our pool time in the upper level as it was cleaner and warmer. It's hard to get two lounge chairs side by side at the pool unless you are up early enough to put your stuff on it. We are not the type of people that lounge on the pool chairs anyway so we had no problem finding just one chair to share and set our stuff on.

BEACH - The beach is beautiful. Once again, we're not lounging people so we didn't worry too much about the chairs however, if you are a lounger, you will want to be there early to get beach chairs. The sand is a little rough but you get used to it.

HOTEL - Overall the hotel is absolutely amazing. The WiFi needs to be updated big time. They give you a code but it's incredibly glitchy and I wouldn't rely on it. If you're someone that needs to be connected to the internet 24/7, I would suggest upgrading your data plan here at home instead. Or just relax, forget about the internet and be on vacation! :) We did not find the front desk helpful at all. We once asked the front desk to call somewhere for us to make sure they were open and she told us she was not customer service and carried on a conversation with one of her colleagues. When we politely asked her again, she rolled her eyes, made a scene about it and told us what we were asking her didn't exist. We were heading to place called "Philips Animal Garden", I assure you, it exists (and wonderful, go check it out). Please keep in mind again, I'm noticeably pregnant and did not want to venture 20 minutes out of our way and pay for a taxi to take us to a place that was closed. We finally got an answer out of her but not until after 15 minutes of aggravation and unwillingness to help. This was our third run in with the front desk. All different staff members. Be aware, front desk is not always helpful.

ARUBA - The island itself is amazing and friendly. Taxi service is very convenient. They are always parked outside of the hotel. Taxi's are all a fixed rate controlled by the Government. A trip to Downtown Oranjestad will cost you $11 US. There are tons of shops and little vendor huts for souvenirs along the main road in Oranjestad. It's quite easy to bargain with the vendor shops. Since most Jeep tours are incredibly overpriced, my husband and I rented our own Jeep for a day from Budget for $95.00 US and toured around the whole island. This is the second time we've done this and it's completely safe. I would highly recommend it. You can tour at your own pace and see everything listed on the Jeep tour brochures for more than half the cost (the tours generally cost you $95 per person). We brought our own water bottles from the room and the sandwiches from the sports bar in the hotel for snacks and refreshments. Just make sure you bring a map with you. Make sure to take a trip to Philips Animal Garden as well. Philip rescues the animals and keeps them in a safe environment/habitat suited to their needs. You can feed the animals from your hands and pet most of them. It's absolutely wonderful. A trip here will cost you $13 US by taxi, Just make sure you ask the taxi driver to pick you back up in an hour. It's not on a main section of town and would be hard to flag down another taxi otherwise.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba? Share your experiences!