“A girls trip to Aruba” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Aruba

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Aruba to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   79 JE Irausquin Blvd, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba (Formerly Aruba Grand Beach Resort)   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Turn Spring Around!
toronto
“A girls trip to Aruba”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I spent 5 days at the Riu in early March. Like any resort, there are pros and cons. If you are bent on looking for the negative, you will certainly find it. I prefer to relax and enjoy. The resort has the best pool in Aruba. It is huge and clean. We enjoyed the drink service around the pool. Yes, they use "house brand" alcohol but will use name brand if you ask for it. Also, for those griping about lack of shade, one side of the pool deck was in the afternoon shade and it was easy to get a spot if you wanted one. The beach and ocean are spectacular. They are perfection.

Our room was upgraded from standard to pool view. That was greatly appreciated. We did have several laughs with our "adjustable" beds. The mattresses had two controls each whereby you could adjust the firmness of the mattress. My friend was able to adjust hers initially but then it deflated. I could not adjust mine initially and spent the first couple of nights in the middle dip of the mattress. the cleaning lady kindly called maintenance and had them come up and inflate mine and it was good for the rest of the trip.

We chose to eat at the main buffet for each meal as we did not want to be on a schedule. It was outstanding. I can't imagine how anyone could complain. In the evenings, they had two choices of carved meat. Twice we had the most delicious roast turkey. In addition, there was always chicken, fish and pork along with fresh made pasta. The staff in the main buffet was very pleasant.

The location was great ....we enjoyed walking along both the beach side and street side boardwalks. We felt very safe going out in the evenings as there were lots of people out and about. one day, we took the bus into Town and enjoyed the outing.

One note of disappointment: my friend's adult children tried to reach us due to a family emergency and we were never given the message. although the in-room phones have a message light, they do not have a voicemail system. When we finally got on wi-fi and emailed home, we found the kids had been trying to reach us and had left at least one message at the front desk. Twice, we went to the front desk to find out what happened and didn't get any answer. Keep this in mind if you are travelling and don't have any other way of being reached.

Overall, it was a good vacation and I will likely come back to Aruba and the Riu.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

3,181 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (644)
  • Polish first
new jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I like to share my experiences because of others that have , and prepare me my personal or business trips. I did read the reviews prior to going...but not prior to booking. My fault I took another persons advice book to get it done and over with. I have not ever had a desire to go to Aruba because although I did hear about many people who go there over and over again(most timeshare and older) I said to her ok I fought you for 23 yrs , we are running out of islands so why not. The island stay was ok not worth a 5 hour flight from NY. There are so many islands between here and there under that flight time. Ok the weather was nice, the locals were very nice and accommodating. My partner likes the fact that she felt very comfortable in her secured feeling on the island day and night. It's was comforting not to have any concerns.
Now to the Riu and I hope it is read by corporate as I will forward as well.
Come on guys at the front desk....Men and ladies would a SMILE kill you? I watched all week for pleasantness at the front desk and there were none. Also missing from point of check in was instructions on who, what and where. We had to find out everything on our own no brief welcome orientation while checking us in. Oh yeah someone at the front brought us a sweet cool drink, but again no greeting no smile....I,m not getting a fuzzy feeling already.
As I mentioned I read reviews dozens and gleaned advise from them all...what building to stay in, beds too hard, not enough under shade huts so run down early am things like that. All the advise was correct THANK YOU. So I prepared a letter to Riu before my trip setting forth my desires based on the info I read...soft mattress pad on bed before my arrival, bldg. location view, type of balcony etc.
I had also read that there was 2 sittings for dinner...THIS IS MY REAL RANT...Corporate are you kidding?? This is not a cruise ship with thousands of people. You have an Italian, gourmet, steak and Japanese sit down. This was also high season guys there was no one in these restaurants to speak of in terms of capacity. Recommendation end this nonsense or at the very least allow for guest to come in DURING THE SEATING PERIOD. GUYS 630pm is tool early and 9pm is much too late. By the way remember what I said about social etiquette at the front desk well if it is possible the staff maitre d and wait staff were like...when will you guys leave we want to go home sure at 9pm we are just sitting down. Believe me we don't want to be eating that late either ESPECIALLY when we pass by the windows of all the sit down restaurants between 630 and 9 and see them low capacity. I remember one note we were so frustrated that I called and visited on of the sit downs and asked if we could arrive between 7 and 730 for the 630 service and were told no. That was it even though we ate at the 9 o'clock seating s , that's all available that week we were told...we left the property 3 nights so we could eat at a sensible time. Yes there was a dinner buffet which all people said was better then the sit downs..I can see now why, but when you are spending this price for all inclusive you would like your dining to be pleasant and restful...we are on vacation after all.
By the way skip the steak restaurant it is where they serve lunch buffet both suck. My recommendation is go to the main building buffet for lunch you won't be disappointed at all....quite honestly for the best pleasant staff and variety of foods. Breakfast lunch and dinner the best place on the property is there.
Oh yes finally the stories you hear about getting up early and reserving on the beach etc is correct. My hint you are on vacation...for 25$ a day don't rush don't get hassled if you want to shade yourself just go to the fellas set up on the beach for water sports just off the small pier they are helpful courteous and will arrange for you to have shade all or any days you choose without getting up in the middle of the nite....remember you are on vaca..rest and enjoy.
Side note , we like to walk and explore everyday. We walked the beach each day sometimes twice a day we visited every hotel on the beach and spoke to various strangers as we strolled by. They all have a challenge with beach capacity and they all speak about the restaurants in Aruba. Well when you choose all inclusive you shouldn't have to worry about that but we did get caught up for the need to find better then the Riu experience...so we tried Papiamento, Madame Jeanette
And I believe it was Geinettis Italian across from holiday inn at the out door shopping center. Try the whiskey pasta.

Room Tip: Sorry cant recommend this property....if you want all inclusive I like iberostar GRAND properties
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
RiuHotelsandResorts, Social and Community Relations Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Aruba, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
We would like to thank you for choosing RIU Hotels and Resorts for your holidays and for taking the time to give us your constructive and valued feedback.

We welcome all constructive criticism, as it helps us to improve going forward.

It’s a shame that you felt this way. It is important to us that our guests feel welcome and comfortable at our hotel. The ethos of our staff training requires a helpful, friendly and very obliging service at any time.

Please be assured that I have shared your comments with the respective heads of departments involved and actions have been taken immediately to address all your concerns.

However, we kindly ask you to contact our Customer Service Department via crm@riu.com for further assistance.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This property is one of the three all-inclusives on Palm Beach. This is a large hotel which lacked tropical atmosphere. Concrete around the pool needs repair. The hotel looks old and I believe it was built in 2007. Elevators are small and the hotel lobby looks extremely dated. The hotel is closed in with no airy atmosphere. Breakfast buffets were good. Afternoon buffets were cold. Dinner buffets were good. Individual restaurants were not very good. We did however have a jacuzzi balcony suite. The suite was large but the furniture was very heavy and dark. The regular rooms were also very dated and beds are very hard. There was nothing tropical about this hotel. The drink selection was excellent. For me, this was not the type of hotel I would have expected in the southern tropics. Palm beach is very busy and the water not as clear as I would have expected. I found Eagle Beach to be much nicer and more tropical. Weather was great!! The Hyatt and Radisson were beautiful properties with the lagoon pools and tropical vegetation. However, they are not all inclusive. Location of the Riu was very good.

Room Tip: Building A rooms and suites are further away from the ocean. Building B rooms have partial ocean vi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lakeland, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed at RIU Palace in Aruba Feb 26 to March 3 2012. The resort was very nice, our room was on the 3rd floor with a partial ocean view but facing the pool directly so it was a little loud. I recommend the higher floors like 9 or 10 closet to the water in the newer building. Otherwise Ocean view facing the ocean is a great room to have. To some up my review, Aruba was awesome !! The weather was perfect every day, food was good & drinks were good. Lot's of fun things to do off property. We will for sure go back !

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Spent 7 days at the resort, end of February. We were hesitant about the resort based on many negative reviews around December. We were very pleasantly surprised, I am happy to report. The resort is very nice and well maintained, there were people cleaning and fixing all week long. We had a great room in B building, a jr. suite overlooking the pool/beach. We spent time on the balcony every day, the view was beautiful. Our room was very clean and attended to early in the day. Went for a long walk each morning before breakfast and the room was cleaned while we were out. Each night, fresh towels were delivered to the room and we were asked if we needed anything else.
Food was good for an all inclusive (we never expect gourmet food). The buffet was amazing, so many choices, and well prepared. We ate at all of the specialty restaurants, they were fine. Making reservations was a breeze. No lines at around 9:15 each day upon returning from our walk.
The beach is beautiful and one of the largest on the strip of hotels. Palapas are hard to come by, there are not enough. Yes, you do need to get up and out around 6:00AM if you want one. There are also palm trees to sit under that will give you shade during the day. Lounge chairs do need to be replaced, choose one carefully, some should be in the garbage! It is very windy in Aruba, so be prepared. If the sand blows in your face, move to the pool, it will illuminate sand in your hair.
Drinks were available all day and night, not watered down. Visit Freddy in the lobby lounge, what a great guy and he makes a good martini!
Never had a problem sleeping, the beds are hard but not uncomfortable for us.
We relaxed, had fun, vegged out in a pretty place. What more do you need!

Room Tip: Jr. Suite overlooking pool/beach on a higher floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Very clean. Food was wonderful. Drinks are great at all but the water downed poolside bar. The poolside uses plastic cups which blow all over the beach and into the water, environmentally hazardous. Staff is adequate, few will go out of their way to do above and beyond. After waiting an hour for our luggage to come up to the room, I called the front desk. They said it would be right up, 30 minutes later my husband and I went down to find it sitting in the lobby with two bell boys goofing off, they lost that tip. Nightly turn down service, maid service was the best.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
whitewater, wi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from our honeymoon. .. had a blast! The riu is so amazing! The food is fantastic and the service is wonderful. I even got sick whike we were there and the front desk called a doctor who came to the room to see me. She was excellent and cheap and got me getting better right away! Also, when they say all inclusive, they mean it. We also felt extremely safe! We will be back!

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba? Share your experiences!