“Great Vacation !” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Aruba

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Aruba to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 79 | Palm Beach - Palm Beach, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba (Formerly Aruba Grand Beach Resort)   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #19 of 23 hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Lakeland, Minnesota
“Great Vacation !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed at RIU Palace in Aruba Feb 26 to March 3 2012. The resort was very nice, our room was on the 3rd floor with a partial ocean view but facing the pool directly so it was a little loud. I recommend the higher floors like 9 or 10 closet to the water in the newer building. Otherwise Ocean view facing the ocean is a great room to have. To some up my review, Aruba was awesome !! The weather was perfect every day, food was good & drinks were good. Lot's of fun things to do off property. We will for sure go back !

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

3,392 people have reviewed this hotel

1913
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (715)
  • Polish first
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Spent 7 days at the resort, end of February. We were hesitant about the resort based on many negative reviews around December. We were very pleasantly surprised, I am happy to report. The resort is very nice and well maintained, there were people cleaning and fixing all week long. We had a great room in B building, a jr. suite overlooking the pool/beach. We spent time on the balcony every day, the view was beautiful. Our room was very clean and attended to early in the day. Went for a long walk each morning before breakfast and the room was cleaned while we were out. Each night, fresh towels were delivered to the room and we were asked if we needed anything else.
Food was good for an all inclusive (we never expect gourmet food). The buffet was amazing, so many choices, and well prepared. We ate at all of the specialty restaurants, they were fine. Making reservations was a breeze. No lines at around 9:15 each day upon returning from our walk.
The beach is beautiful and one of the largest on the strip of hotels. Palapas are hard to come by, there are not enough. Yes, you do need to get up and out around 6:00AM if you want one. There are also palm trees to sit under that will give you shade during the day. Lounge chairs do need to be replaced, choose one carefully, some should be in the garbage! It is very windy in Aruba, so be prepared. If the sand blows in your face, move to the pool, it will illuminate sand in your hair.
Drinks were available all day and night, not watered down. Visit Freddy in the lobby lounge, what a great guy and he makes a good martini!
Never had a problem sleeping, the beds are hard but not uncomfortable for us.
We relaxed, had fun, vegged out in a pretty place. What more do you need!

Room Tip: Jr. Suite overlooking pool/beach on a higher floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Very clean. Food was wonderful. Drinks are great at all but the water downed poolside bar. The poolside uses plastic cups which blow all over the beach and into the water, environmentally hazardous. Staff is adequate, few will go out of their way to do above and beyond. After waiting an hour for our luggage to come up to the room, I called the front desk. They said it would be right up, 30 minutes later my husband and I went down to find it sitting in the lobby with two bell boys goofing off, they lost that tip. Nightly turn down service, maid service was the best.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
whitewater, wi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from our honeymoon. .. had a blast! The riu is so amazing! The food is fantastic and the service is wonderful. I even got sick whike we were there and the front desk called a doctor who came to the room to see me. She was excellent and cheap and got me getting better right away! Also, when they say all inclusive, they mean it. We also felt extremely safe! We will be back!

• Stayed February 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I must start off by saying the hotel wasn't bad, but what they did to us was wrong.
While we were checking in, the women working at the desk told us THEY over booked the hotel and would offer us a special if we would give up our suite. So, out of curiosity, we decided to see what they had to offer. They wanted us to downgrade our room to a standard room in the non-renovated portion of the hotel, and as a reward, they wanted to give us a free 5 day stay at any of their hotels in any country in which a Riu Hotel is located, good for up to 1 year. So we figured the hotel realized they made a mistake and they are willing to offer us something special. What great customer service. Why not?? We accepted the offer and went out with our trip.
The hotel was decent. The food was edible. The dinner restaurants were obviously better than the buffets, but nothing special. The drinks were weak. Having to wake up at 6am to reserve a seat by the pool and stand in line to make a dinner reservation is not my idea of a vacation. But vacation is vacation and it's a lot better than being at work. So all in all, we still had a good time.

Now for the scam part.

About 8 months after the trip, I figured, "hey lets use this free voucher we have and go back to Aruba." We had no interest in going to any of their other locations and really enjoyed the whole island of Aruba, so why go anywhere else? I called the number on the voucher and the woman told me I couldn't redeem the voucher over the phone. I had to email them a copy of the voucher and list the dates I wanted and the location I wanted. Simple enough. I send them an email with the voucher attached, the dates, and the location. No response. I give it a few days and I call again. They won't talk to me about the voucher. I have to email them. So I send another email. No response. I call again. Useless. Email us.
This went on for months. I was never able to speak to a manager. Every time I asked to speak to a manager, the person on the phone claimed they were the manager and that I had to email them. When I asked why they haven't responded to any of my emails, they claimed they were busy. Eventually, the year I was given to book the trip expired and not once did they get back to me. After it was expired, they wouldn't accept the voucher, even though I tried booking multiple times while the voucher was still valid.

After I downgraded MY hotel room because of THEIR mistake, this is how you treat my girlfriend and I?

I couldn't believe it. There I was the day of check in thinking what a great hotel. Paying for their mistake. Was I wrong or what...

Moral of the story, if they offer you some sort of amazing deal for downgrading your room. DON'T DO IT! Keep your reservation and let some other sucker find out the hard way that it's all a scam.

I'll be staying at the Hyatt in Aruba from now on.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Stayed at the Riu from Feb 8 to Feb 15 and had an amazing time. Friendly staff and willing to help. The food was great, with a huge selection at the main Buffet. Went to the Steak House but wasn't impressed. Small portion of meat and very slow service. When we finished dinner there we headed to the Buffet for more. No big deal.

The Hotel is clean and our Junior Suite room was spacious, plenty of towels, clean and mini bar was always stocked along with the liquor dispenser, it had brand name liquor.

The beach has white sand with clear water and no seaweed washing up. Its hard to get an umbrella on the beach cause people are up very early in the morning to put their towels there, so we would get our chairs near the pool and go to the beach to swim and come back to the pool area to relax on our chairs. This worked out well because Aruba is windy and we didn't get sand in our face from lying on the beach.

It was hot there always in the 30s feeling like 40 so bring sunscreen because of the wind you don't feel the sun and you get burned quickly.

Had some entertainment there but not very good. You can walk outside of the Resort to go shopping as it is very safe. You can also take a cab or bus to go downtown without worrying.

Had a Fantastic Time at The Riu Aruba and with definitely go back one day!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We recently stayed for a week at the RIU Palace Aruba. We had beautiful ocean view rooms and we were placed next door to friends that we were meeting there, as requested. The service was wonderful. The food was delicious and plentiful. The room bar was stocked daily. There are many options for food and drink 24 hours a day.

We had free wifi in the lobby and in our rooms. It doesn't work as well as what we have at home, but it was nice to have.

The pool was huge and beautiful and the beach was lovely. The wind is brutal, and apparently only dies down during hurricane season, which doesn't otherwise effect Aruba. Take headbands or bandanas to keep your hair out of your face, and take hats with chin straps if your head/face need protection from the sun. The wind does keep the temperature comfortable, so that is a major plus. While the pool is amazing with umbrellas everywhere, they aren't very helpful if you need shade. The wind makes the umbrellas dicey, plus they are made of mesh, and don't really provide much protection. We are from a beach community and love the sun, but this sun is intense and we wished for a few hours of shade each afternoon, out by the pool. There are huts on the beach that provide wonderful shade but they go fast. In fact, you will want to "reserve" your chairs early because everyone else does.

The RIU is located very close to De Palm Pier which was a fun place to listen to music and watch the sunset. We even ate there one evening just for a change of pace. You can also take a very short walk across the street to Senior Frogs and some shops. There is a great paved walkway that runs on the beach behind the hotel for a jog or stroll. There are several nice shops there as well. The Westin and Radisson are close by and we enjoyed their casinos and shops. The RIU has a small casino. We felt safe walking anywhere we wanted to go. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: We were located in building A, which is the main entrance. It has most of the restaurants and the c...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba? Share your experiences!