“No real complaints!! Nice place and Aruba is wonderful.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Aruba

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Aruba to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 79 | Palm Beach - Palm Beach, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba (Formerly Aruba Grand Beach Resort)   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Fall Getaway
Ranked #19 of 23 hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Oshawa, Canada
“No real complaints!! Nice place and Aruba is wonderful.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Just got back ...vacationed Nov. 24-Dec. 1. The place is great, very majestic and regal. Our room was great...no complaints. Saying that, I am sure all rooms are not equal as we did hear people complaining about things. We were in room 839 B building. I did not use the pool, but it looks very nice from afar. I do understand the complaints about it needing some repairs though. When closer it looks a little run down and overall made me feel it wasn't clean, but I am sure it is. Beach was awesome. Food great. Booze good with many quality brands available at all bars.
My only complaint is customer service. This did not ruin my vacation in no way and I would return tomorrow. The front desk were cold the few dealings I had there. Do not use the phone. I made 1local call and it was 26.00 US....I mean I figured it would cost me, but I thought that was extreme....just a heads up. All the service at restaurants was ok...no one really stepped up and was very attentive. I have travelled many places and have had some great service. It really was next to impossible to get a drink at the pool/beach restaurant and never get a refill. Same thing goes for coffee refills, water anything everywhere in the resort. We did have a good server in the dinner main buffet a few nights, most of the bartenders were great (except the pool bar...ignored there), the lady bartender in the sports bar was phenomenal....sorry so many names...and also Anthony in the sports bar was great. Two servers in the lobby bar outside were great also...Robert and Christian...very friendly and service was huge with them!! I do agree with the people who stated the customer service was not the best. Like I said it did not ruin our vacation and I would likely let it slide, but I use this site to make decisions about vacationing so I think I should mention it.
The cleaning staff are great .... This place looked very clean everyday. Our room was always cleaned thoroughly and well stocked!! Absolutely no complaints there.
Hope this helps....we had an awesome vacation!
Thanks Aruba!!

3,422 people have reviewed this hotel

1927
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Luxury? Uh, no.

I had heard so many good things about the Riu brand, so imagine my disappointment when I walked Into the lobby, only to be hit with scent of MILDEW! This was the tone of the whole trip. I booked a spa appointment but canceled when I saw that the jacuzzi was tepid and sort of dirty. Grimy water lines-- like a bathtub ring marked the walls. There was no way I could relax there while waiting for my services. So I went to the dry sauna, which had not been turned on. I decided to just cancel and enjoy the beach.

The Riu is supposed to be a luxury chain, but this place is about on par with a Hilton. The staff is not particularly helpful. The drinks are just so so. Furthermore, the place just isn't comfortable. The beds are hard. Not firm, but hard.  Old school TVs. tiny cheap plastic cups at the pool bar.

I really felt like I was in a Doubletree in Ohio that happened to have a gorgeous pool and beach.

The upside is that there was great energy around the pool. Lots of fun with Zumba and other activities.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Lynden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This place was first class in every way the food the staff and the room We had a blast on the Jeep tour we booked in the lobby Robert Cardoza was fantastic. If you want value for your hard earned cash take a trip to the Riu Thanks for a great time to all the folks in Aruba

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My boyfriend and I went to the Riu Palace, Aruba, from November 12-19, 2012. It was also my first experience in an all-inclusive resort/vacation.

The first impression in the hotel lobby was a great one. Very expansive, always clean, very welcoming. Our room wasn't ready upon arrival, but we were happy to go have lunch in the interim.

Because it was my first all-inclusive experience, I wasn't expecting/didn't know about wearing a bracelet for the duration of our trip. I understand why it's necessary, but it did take a bit of getting used to.

Our room, an ocean view suite, was perfect. The bed was gigantic. I actually have NO idea what size it was. It was much larger than a King. We had a little sitting area, a nice balcony with a view of the pool and ocean, and spacious bathroom.

Housekeeping was very attentive and brought towels twice daily (seems it was a necessity with the pool visits and the Aruba weather). The only thing we had to do ourselves one day was strip our bed in order to tip off housekeeping that we wanted our sheets changed. That did the trick.

Staff was friendly from the housekeeping staff, to the bartenders.

We ate primarily at the buffet restaurant because we're both vegan, and it was really the only restaurant on the property where we could be reasonably assured our nutritional preferences were being met. Still, we did eat one night at the Italian restaurant on site, and it was also lovely.

In advance of the trip, I had read stories of vacationers having to make dinner reservations first thing in the morning, and reserve lounge chairs by the pool, etc. We did not experience this at all. It was not that busy. If we showed up at the pool at 10:30, we were easily able to find two lounge chairs together in either the sun or shade. Similarly, the restaurants were not booked to capacity during this time at all. It was the week prior to US Thanksgiving, so perhaps that was part of the lull.

We were interested in a property that had very little 'family' fun, because we were on a romantic week away. There were very few youngsters around, but when we saw them, they were all well behaved.

More families showed up near the end of our trip.

The service at and around the pool for cocktails was always steady and very polite. There were daily activities in and around the pool for those who wanted to participate in them. (aqua-aerobics, ball games, dance lessons, bocce ball, etc)

We enjoyed the finer bar on the main level of the lobby as well, which had a higher quality cocktail, and perhaps more traditional offerings if you're on the hunt.

They promoted their "Sports Bar" which really wasn't what I'd consider as such. It was more like a cafe/cafeteria. Here, you could find draft beer, some snacks (nachos, hot dogs, sandwiches, fruit). You can also use complimentary internet terminals there, if you wish. It wasn't the kind of place you'd want to hang around in, but more drop in, pick up a snack and go.

The bar in the room was (almost) fully stocked. A bottle of wine might have been a nice extra touch. (There was beer, vodka, rye, rum and scotch).

I did make use of the on-site fitness facility one day. The only downside of this was there are no washroom facilities (marked) in the fitness centre. They're across the pool near the seafood restaurant. A bit of an inconvenience.

Overall, we were treated quite well by hotel staff. The wifi was nice.

It was nice to be within walking distance of a little retail enclave and other dining/souvenir options. It was also nice to be away from the busier/retail concentrated Oranjestad. An inexpensive bus ride gets you there for a visit if you're interested.

Room Tip: We were in room 803 and found it lovely. I did hear some other travellers indicate they were unhappy...
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Sould have written this sooner however as we all know life gets hectic after vacations when we come back to the real world. Hotel itself was nice. Rooms were nice and hotel itself is modern and clean. Complaints about hard beds were unfounded as my wife and myself found the bed comfortable. We were very surprised to find the quality of food to be very good. Customer service is what made the vacation average ( I am being generous). The staff pretend not to understand English and gaze at you when you ask a question or ask for another cup of coffee or water in the restaurants. Ask a question at the front desk and the response is the same. Stand at the pool bar to get a drink and be ignorded for 3-5 minutes. The same at the bar where there is nightly entertainment. The only person who was nice, outgoing, and went that little extra step was the young lady in the Sports Bar ( the Yankees fan). I had E-mailed the Riu when we had got back home to let them know as well and they never acknowledged the E-mail. It seems that their customer service is the same as the staff they employ. As far as the "hut game" on the beach people put thing out the night befor to reserve them. When we asked management about the policy the reply was the huts and beach are not owned by the hotel and there was nothing that could be done. I think not!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful location with great food and very accommodating staff. Pool bar always well stocked and great. Had an amazing relaxing vacation, perfect for just enjoying the sun, and enjoying some great food.

• Stayed June 2012
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We all know that every hotel/resort has different types of rooms. The thing is - when you pay for 5* standard you have an absolute right to expect 5* standard. The little trick with Riu Palace Aruba is that it has three buildings and only two of them are genuine Riu. While rooms in main building and left wing have characteristic towers and descent standard (I would rather say it's strong 4*, not 5*, but never mind), the right wing with no towers on the top was (or still is) used as time share building, which during high season is considered as 5* Riu. I have no idea if you have any choice while booking your all-inclusive vacation in this resort, but be aware that rooms standard in right wing is closer to average motel in Florida with worn-out bathrooms (dirty tiles, dirty shower door, broken handles) and kitschy, cheep interior's design.

The resort itself is not bad, but still - you can't compare it with other Riu's in Mexico or Dominican Republic. Food is great, especially Sir Nicolas restaurant offers very nice buffet. Staff in 100% indigenous, very helpful and not insistent in terms of tipping. I can't tell you too much about resort activities, because we spent whole days cycling the island (which I can definitely recommend). There's many other resorts in Aruba, so if you don't have an opportunity to choose your room, better choose another hotel (btw - they change our room for left wing one and that was much better, but it happened only because my hubby is travel agent...)

Room Tip: Avoid right wing of the resort (this one with no Riu towers on the top) if you can.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba? Share your experiences!