“Always love Playa Linda” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Playa Linda Beach Resort

You added Playa Linda Beach Resort to your Saves list
Playa Linda Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 87, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Always love Playa Linda”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I have stayed at this resort over the past 15 years thanks to my parents timeshares. However this was the first time staying without my family, and with my husband on our honeymoon. We had a studio which was perfectly perfect for our needs.

Our room was ready when we arrived to the resort at about 2pm. I was not expecting this, as there were a bunch of rooms still left to be cleaned when we checked in. Our room was on a high floor, facing the pool and ocean which was wonderful. We spent many, many hours on our balcony just enjoying the view and drinks.

We knew of the chickee debacle from our past years, so I got up at about 4:30 every morning just to get a perfect spot. I know this seems crazy, but we knew what to expect going into our trip, add it was a wonderfully quiet, relaxed time. Well....that is until a few other "regulars" showed up. Every morning, a group of retirees would come and monopolize multiple huts, talking at yelling decibels complete with obscenities, watching shows on devices without headphones at loud volumes, etc. The lack of regard for others around them baffled me daily, and even as a young 20-something from the tri-state area I found myself despising the Jersey and nyc accents yelling in my ear all morning. This was a complete downside to our trip, which is the only reason I gave 4 stars.

Although they came and took our room number at 6am, we found that the beach boys didn't bring the lounges until close to 7 most mornings. It's completely unnecessary and a waste of time for those waiting, frankly. A better timed conjunction of the two would help. We would then go nap in our room until 9am and come back down for the day.

We bought our lunch groceries at a close supermarket, which we took a cab to. It saved us a ton of money and let us spend more time on our wonderful balcony.

Azzuro was WONDERFUL!!! Awesome view of the sunset and tasty food.

Overall, we knew what to expect and weren't coming for a full-amenity resort. It was wonderful, relaxing, and the beach was perfect. Bring your own rafts to blow up by the kids club and use them all week! It's unfortunate that others demeanor and lack of concern for others around us soured many of our mornings, but living in the tri-state area, I guess it's (unfortunately) what you have to expect.

We will be back to Playa Linda for many more years on one happy island!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Walt Disney World, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

the place is a little dated , the shower in 143 needs to be painted , the pool needs to be repaired around the edge and some small repairs here and there. The housekeeping staff is 1st rate and for the most part so is the front desk staff. The room was a little small kitchen and dining area is mall the one bedroom was ok , no window no view .

Room Tip: try and get the higher floors for a better view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Litchfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Week 40, October 5 - 13, 2013 - This was a timeshare trade to the Playa Linda to Room 242, a one bedroom/double bed, full kitchen, balcony with table/chairs and a view of the pool and ocean. Some things in the rental were new like the appliances, flat screen TVs and the granite counters. The couches and day bed were a bit older. Overall Playa Linda was clean, comfortable; staff was very nice and helpful. Each floor has washer and dryers, and an ice machine. Since this is a timeshare maid service is not daily, but several times a week which was ok for us. Wi-Fi is an extra charge which we did purchase for the week. We did use Skype and purchased Skype dollars to dial direct to a cell or landline phone. We found for us this was cheapest and the best way to reach home. The waterfall pool is small with some missing tiles, but nice. There are 2 hot tubs and a kid’s pool. Most people stay at the beach. The water is not always crystal clear, a bit murky along the strip. At the beach there are huts called chickees which only the early riser can reserve starting at 6 am daily. My husband didn't mind being at the chickee by 6 am since he met up with others who staked out their spot and enjoyed the free coffee each morning. Many people are repeat guests and have sections staked out as their territory in the front row. All the chickees are usually taken by 9 or 10. There were only three families with children that I saw all week. Everyone else was 45+ so it was quiet. Some tips - pack a soft small cooler and some floatation rafts with cup holders! You really do not need a car rental for the week. Taxi will do or a daily rental. Street signs are few and in Dutch mostly even though most speak Spanish and some English. You can take a cab to Super Foods to buy meats, fruit, drinks and dairy to stock your kitchen. US dollar can be used everywhere. We brought snacks, coffee, muffins and cereal from home. Some people did pack a cooler with frozen food checked through with their luggage. Prices are a bit high, but much less than eating out every night, (avg. $28 entree). We did save by buying our beer and alcohol at Super Foods. We brought some mixers and drinking cups with lids from home too. There are restaurants at the Playa Linda and a walkway up and down Palm Beach loaded with bars, restaurants, water sports, tour sign-up, water taxi, and shopping. Across the street are the big mall and many restaurants. Pelican Pier is at the Playa - there is happy hour from 4 - 6. Playa also has a spa, pool exercise, bingo and other activities. Loved the location right in the center of the action and casinos and nicely landscaped. Security patrols the beaches. Loved the friends we met and the homey feeling with so many people who have been coming back year after year. We were not thrilled with the snorkeling or the beauty of the island, but we would come back to the Playa Linda for R&R - sit on the beach, catch up on reading, and float in the warm water a drink in hand. The sun was hot - bring a hat and lots of sunscreen.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We spent two weeks in Aruba for our honeymoon. Week 1 was fantastic, we stayed on Eagle Beach...week 2 we switched resorts and stayed at Playa Linda so we could be in the middle of the high rise area for the nightlife. Well we were unpleasantly surprised. When we checked in I was a little upset that our view was of an alley and the side of another resort so I went down and explained that we were on our honeymoon and were really looking forward to a better view. We were told to come back the next day because they didn't know who wasn't showing up for the week...ok. In the meantime my husband decided to take a shower and his usual 45 minute shower was less than 10 minutes because the shower had not been cleaned, there was hair and it looked like someone had just thrown away a soap bar but hadn't wiped up the soap residue from the shelf. In addition the toilet bowl was less than clean. We immediately went to the front desk and asked for a room change because at this point between the view and the bathroom I just wanted a new room. Now I know Playa Linda will respond to me and say they accommodated us, and they did. However, we had to say we were checking out (which we were) in order for us to be moved. They kindly moved us to a one bedroom which was really cute and had a better view. However the bathroom was still gross. I wore flip flops in the shower and sprayed everything with lysol after housekeeping left everyday. Also, the odor in the room was skunky. We should have checked out like my husband wanted to do from the beginning but I wanted to try and make the best of it.

I know it is a timeshare resort and people come the same week every year, but I have to say that the "regulars" aren't very friendly. And if you aren't up and out by the pool/beach by 8:30am good luck finding a place to sit.

Overall, with all of the beautiful resorts in the area I wouldn't recommend Playa Linda. I've been going to Aruba for a long time and this is the first time I've had a less than acceptable experience. It really isn't that clean, the staff don't give off a friendly "one happy island" vibe. And forget it if you want to charge meals/drinks to your room, there is a $10 minimum and a 3% surcharge, and it's clear the staff are annoyed by having to do it.

The only plus is that Dushi Bagels is on their property and is delicious!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Playa Linda is nestled on a beautiful stretch of white sandy beach. My bf and I rented a studio for a week and loved it. The room was big enough for our needs - had a dining room table, a couch and mini kitchen. The balcony looked out onto the Hyatt and had an ocean view - they all do.
Bingo games were a blast and the daily free coffee was a nice treat. A short walk to nearby casinos and movie theater/ shopping.

The corridors leading up to rooms seemed a bit dated but really, how long do you spend in those corridors?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We rented a unit last week at Playa Linda for an entire week and for the most part it was an enjoyable vacation. Aruba is a beautiful and safe island and having been there one time before, we knew what to expect from our time there, but the Playa Linda was not the highlight of the trip.

Playa Linda is a timeshare resort and if you are looking for a hotel, I highly recommend you look elsewhere. The one bedroom unit that we had smelled so badly of mold/must/mildew (you pick one) that we literally bought air fresheners and sprays while we were there. I know this is to be expected when visiting a warm island climate, as we have travelled throughout Mexico and the Caribbean, but this was by far the worst ever.

The room was ready at around 4pm and the floors were still wet, so when we went in the room the floors became immediately dirty from our shoes and were slippery. The kitchen comes very well equipped with cooking utensils and all of it seemed very fresh and clean, which was nice. If you are renting a timeshare, I highly recommend visiting Superfoods or Ling & Sons to stock your room. Our blender was broken and so was our toaster (it started smoking when we turned it on), but that happens, I guess?

The bedroom was dark, poorly lit and had a very unpleasant odor. The headboard was super dusty and dirty as well as the dresser drawers- so instead we hung our clothes and kept the rest in a suitcase. The air conditioner never seemed to work as we repeatedly set the temp to 69-70 and it would never actually get to that temp, but luckily they do have ceiling fans which was nice. The TV, cable, and the full sofa and day bed provided a lot of space if you have guests or older children staying with you.

The cleaning staff told us we were only allowed to replace towels and change garbages daily and only were allowed to clean sheets and the room once a week. This wasn't a big deal for us, as we clean up as we go, but some might prefer the daily cleaning (especially if you're booking this as a hotel).

The front desk staff for the most part were quite helpful (seems the male staff were more willing to help than the females) and the woman who works in the small market is such a nice woman and genuinely helpful. The beach attendants also will help you get chairs if you ask them, so they were also helpful. Unfortunately they can't entirely control what the "regulars" do here or the games they play with the palapas/chickees at both the pool and the beach..

According to the rules here, you must be at your chickee when the attendant comes around in the morning and you can put your name on the list for your chickee number and you can put your stuff there- but you must come back within two hours or lose it. This was never the case.. these people here play such games its ridiculous as we saw front row chickees empty for hours on end, but people leave towels and empty beach bags there. There are also greedy people that take up two and leave their coolers and stuff at one while sitting at another ALL DAY LONG! Its really unnerving and absolutely disgusting how these people do this.. and forget getting anything by the tiny pool as the New England Patriots coolers and memorabilia completely take over the pool chickees every single day- so good luck with that one.

The beach is nice, sand is fairly clean, tables have a ton of bird poop on them and the chairs are old and could stand a good cleaning. The ocean water is a little murky, but I attribute that to all the awesome NJ visitors that monopolize the first two rows of chickees and never ever seem to visit the bathroom- which was only 20 ft away. Or maybe it was the people in the water with their drinks and cigarettes, ashing in the water. First day I was there I thought I was stung by something only to realize it was only a broken plastic cup in the water scratching against my leg.. and yes, I threw it out.

Food- go elsewhere.. other than Scotts' Bratts (lovely couple) and the awesome ladies at the beach bar, Azzuro's has the worst service I've seen on an island- although I must admit the food was indeed pretty decent. By all means, take a trip to Barefoot over by the airport- food, service, and ambience all amazing. There are tons of great places to go to eat in Aruba, it's a foodie heaven, but watch our for those pesky service charges (total joke).

Overall, this was not a complete dump- there are some saving graces, but it's old, musty, and you have to deal with the less than pleasant timeshare owners and their antics. If you are a young couple, or if you have children, this is NOT the place for you. The majority of people here are older, much older, and they are not the most pleasant. My husband literally got yelled at by an elderly man in a jazzy for trying to hold the door for him.. Seriously.

I'm glad to see that tripadvisor took down the 50 fake reviews that were written the past few weeks by timeshare owners of PL that were trying to get a free dinner. Apparently the PL concierge offered their residents to be entered into a raffle for a free dinner if they wrote a raving review.. and yes, thats exactly the type of people that come here, so if that doesn't say it all, I don't know what does. Keep your free dinner and do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dimock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We spent a wonderful week at Playa Linda just recently, as guests of family members who own a timeshare week. We felt pampered, safe, relaxed, and just about as "vacation-y" as one could hope to get. All... ALL.... employees were helpful, polite, caring .... and smiling. Help with luggage, taxis, car rentals, restaurant reservations, advice, swimming towel exchanges, information, etc were happily supplied whenever it was needed. The housekeeping folks did a great job, too. The view, the water, the pool, the corridors, were all in perfect order.

My favorite part of the day was enjoying drinks on the beach, or on our balcony, as the sun was beginning to set. My second favorite was swimming in that turquoise water! We also enjoyed shopping, trying out restaurants, driving through the park, and people watching.

P.S. We liked Playa Linda because it WAS mostly quiet. And many, but far from all, people WERE our age. Having children, young families, honeymooners and contented vacationers around us was fun, too! (Yep, we're retired!)

Room Tip: If you can have an upper floor room with a water view, you'll enjoy it more!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Playa Linda Beach Resort? Share your experiences!