“Prime location!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Playa Linda Beach Resort

You added Playa Linda Beach Resort to your Saves list
Playa Linda Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 87, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Richmond, Virginia
“Prime location!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Playa Linda is nestled on a beautiful stretch of white sandy beach. My bf and I rented a studio for a week and loved it. The room was big enough for our needs - had a dining room table, a couch and mini kitchen. The balcony looked out onto the Hyatt and had an ocean view - they all do.
Bingo games were a blast and the daily free coffee was a nice treat. A short walk to nearby casinos and movie theater/ shopping.

The corridors leading up to rooms seemed a bit dated but really, how long do you spend in those corridors?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We rented a unit last week at Playa Linda for an entire week and for the most part it was an enjoyable vacation. Aruba is a beautiful and safe island and having been there one time before, we knew what to expect from our time there, but the Playa Linda was not the highlight of the trip.

Playa Linda is a timeshare resort and if you are looking for a hotel, I highly recommend you look elsewhere. The one bedroom unit that we had smelled so badly of mold/must/mildew (you pick one) that we literally bought air fresheners and sprays while we were there. I know this is to be expected when visiting a warm island climate, as we have travelled throughout Mexico and the Caribbean, but this was by far the worst ever.

The room was ready at around 4pm and the floors were still wet, so when we went in the room the floors became immediately dirty from our shoes and were slippery. The kitchen comes very well equipped with cooking utensils and all of it seemed very fresh and clean, which was nice. If you are renting a timeshare, I highly recommend visiting Superfoods or Ling & Sons to stock your room. Our blender was broken and so was our toaster (it started smoking when we turned it on), but that happens, I guess?

The bedroom was dark, poorly lit and had a very unpleasant odor. The headboard was super dusty and dirty as well as the dresser drawers- so instead we hung our clothes and kept the rest in a suitcase. The air conditioner never seemed to work as we repeatedly set the temp to 69-70 and it would never actually get to that temp, but luckily they do have ceiling fans which was nice. The TV, cable, and the full sofa and day bed provided a lot of space if you have guests or older children staying with you.

The cleaning staff told us we were only allowed to replace towels and change garbages daily and only were allowed to clean sheets and the room once a week. This wasn't a big deal for us, as we clean up as we go, but some might prefer the daily cleaning (especially if you're booking this as a hotel).

The front desk staff for the most part were quite helpful (seems the male staff were more willing to help than the females) and the woman who works in the small market is such a nice woman and genuinely helpful. The beach attendants also will help you get chairs if you ask them, so they were also helpful. Unfortunately they can't entirely control what the "regulars" do here or the games they play with the palapas/chickees at both the pool and the beach..

According to the rules here, you must be at your chickee when the attendant comes around in the morning and you can put your name on the list for your chickee number and you can put your stuff there- but you must come back within two hours or lose it. This was never the case.. these people here play such games its ridiculous as we saw front row chickees empty for hours on end, but people leave towels and empty beach bags there. There are also greedy people that take up two and leave their coolers and stuff at one while sitting at another ALL DAY LONG! Its really unnerving and absolutely disgusting how these people do this.. and forget getting anything by the tiny pool as the New England Patriots coolers and memorabilia completely take over the pool chickees every single day- so good luck with that one.

The beach is nice, sand is fairly clean, tables have a ton of bird poop on them and the chairs are old and could stand a good cleaning. The ocean water is a little murky, but I attribute that to all the awesome NJ visitors that monopolize the first two rows of chickees and never ever seem to visit the bathroom- which was only 20 ft away. Or maybe it was the people in the water with their drinks and cigarettes, ashing in the water. First day I was there I thought I was stung by something only to realize it was only a broken plastic cup in the water scratching against my leg.. and yes, I threw it out.

Food- go elsewhere.. other than Scotts' Bratts (lovely couple) and the awesome ladies at the beach bar, Azzuro's has the worst service I've seen on an island- although I must admit the food was indeed pretty decent. By all means, take a trip to Barefoot over by the airport- food, service, and ambience all amazing. There are tons of great places to go to eat in Aruba, it's a foodie heaven, but watch our for those pesky service charges (total joke).

Overall, this was not a complete dump- there are some saving graces, but it's old, musty, and you have to deal with the less than pleasant timeshare owners and their antics. If you are a young couple, or if you have children, this is NOT the place for you. The majority of people here are older, much older, and they are not the most pleasant. My husband literally got yelled at by an elderly man in a jazzy for trying to hold the door for him.. Seriously.

I'm glad to see that tripadvisor took down the 50 fake reviews that were written the past few weeks by timeshare owners of PL that were trying to get a free dinner. Apparently the PL concierge offered their residents to be entered into a raffle for a free dinner if they wrote a raving review.. and yes, thats exactly the type of people that come here, so if that doesn't say it all, I don't know what does. Keep your free dinner and do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dimock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We spent a wonderful week at Playa Linda just recently, as guests of family members who own a timeshare week. We felt pampered, safe, relaxed, and just about as "vacation-y" as one could hope to get. All... ALL.... employees were helpful, polite, caring .... and smiling. Help with luggage, taxis, car rentals, restaurant reservations, advice, swimming towel exchanges, information, etc were happily supplied whenever it was needed. The housekeeping folks did a great job, too. The view, the water, the pool, the corridors, were all in perfect order.

My favorite part of the day was enjoying drinks on the beach, or on our balcony, as the sun was beginning to set. My second favorite was swimming in that turquoise water! We also enjoyed shopping, trying out restaurants, driving through the park, and people watching.

P.S. We liked Playa Linda because it WAS mostly quiet. And many, but far from all, people WERE our age. Having children, young families, honeymooners and contented vacationers around us was fun, too! (Yep, we're retired!)

Room Tip: If you can have an upper floor room with a water view, you'll enjoy it more!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

tripadvisor deleted my original review because of some negative comments about a mob of people that took over this place during our stay.
I find their rules to be a moving target and they appear to be letting phony reviews to be slipping in on other resorts. Playa Linda reviews appear to be honest.
Playa Linda personnel deserve recognition for their efforts and excellent service under these conditions.
Playa Linda needs to turn down the volume of the speakers for their aquatic exercises 8:30-10:30 am every morning. Wow the instructor and music can be obnoxious at that loud volume.
The pool is tiny for such a large resort. The beach is nice, but the water is definitely murky. I have my theories. Pollution both boats and people. Rooms are clean, but dated with paper thin walls.
Eagle Beach is not far away and the best beach. The sister resort Coasta Linda ,which is on Eagle Beach, appears fantastic and is where we will stay next time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I spent my last week in Playa Linda/Aruba.This is a time share resort not a regular hotel.You can only make reservation from sunday to sunday ,that means you have to chek out on Sundays at noon and check in AGAIN at 3 PM.(in another room).Nobody told me that when I booked by Expedia.Its not clear in their web site .And guess what?They charge you 25 US for changing rooms,(unbelievble!!).I refused to pay since I did not ask to change my room.

pros:the beach is fantastic.water is not really clear but there was no smell at all.If you go further out ,the botton is reasaly muddy but is deep.You can not touch the botton so no big deal!
the beach staff is friendlly and helpfull.

then rooms are clean , I staied in a 1 bedroomsuite.

negative:
chikees: If you want to get a good one get up early.that means 5 AM.

beach bar : very very rude people working in that place .thers is another bar next door much nicer...

azurro: lots of money for regular food!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
PLBRARUBA, Playa Linda Beach Resort Management at Playa Linda Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
We have read your comments on our resort and want to thank you for the feedback and make sure we reply, as we are very concerned about your comments regarding your stay and the $25.00 charge for changing rooms on Sunday.

Playa Linda is a timeshare resort and you can make reservations with us or Expedia for any day of the week, however if you are not arriving on Sunday occasionally you may be required to change accommodations as at times the same room is not available for the entire stay. We do try to accommodate renters that do not arrive on a Sunday in the same unit whenever possible, but unfortunately due to limited availability this is not always the case. We are sorry that the description on the Expedia’s website was not clear, but they do state on their website that a room change may be necessary.

In terms of charging $25.00 for changing rooms on Sunday is not accurate, and perhaps you were referring to the environmental tax. On August 1, 2013 the Government of Aruba introduced a $3.00 environmental tax for our transient guests, and part of the reform has an impact on the tourism industry. The environmental tax is required and unfortunately cannot be waived. Nevertheless the $24.00 charge for the 8 nights was not charged on your credit card, but was billed to Expedia.

The beach bar is independently owned, however there’s no excuse for any employee to be rude to you. We wish that you would have spoken to the bar manager immediately to address this issue , however we will follow up with the Beach Bar Management regarding your comments, and we certainly apologize for this type of behavior.

From the remainder of your review we noted that you enjoyed different facilities of Playa Linda Beach Resort and hope that you return soon again to our “One Happy Island”
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I was at Playa Linda last week with family and had a wonderful time. I was in a studio on the 2nd floor and found it to be comfortable for three people. The rooms were clean and decorated nicely. The beach at Playa Linda is perfect and we enjoyed our time there. The location is wonderful with many restaurants and shops nearby. I can’t wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I just returned from a week at Playa Linda. I have been to dozens of Caribbean resorts and this is my least favorite. The room was great! Just what we needed for a family with 6 & 9 year old. You get a separate room with a King Bed and a pullout couch and day bed in the main room for the kids. The dinette with full size fridge and stove/oven/microwave was great. Our room was on the first floor and had a view of the air conditioner, but the higher rooms should have a good view.

The biggest downside is the pool and beach. This is the smallest pool I have seen at a Caribbean resort. There are "decorative" rocks surrounding the pool that are of course a façade and are broken with dangerous gaping holes. They are covered with graffiti dating back to 2008 which means they haven't even been painted in 5 years. Now get this, at 11am everyday they move the kids out of the pool so the old folks can do water aerobics. Amazing! You can witness the 60+ crowd with their bingo on the pool deck every afternoon. Not what we were looking for.

I am not going to repeat the other reviews about how bad the beach is, but it is the worst stop on the island. Everything you read is true. The scariest part is when you go to about 5 feet deep the bottom suddenly becomes very soft and you sink into the sand. The sand/quicksand covered my ankles but I was able to pull myself out and get back to shore. Don't go deep.

The good news is that a few minutes north and a few minutes south has wonderful beaches and Playa Linda is a good place to sleep and in the middle of the restaurants and activity if you like that sort of thing.

If you want a quiet beach to relax then try some of the hotels on Eagle Beach. All of the hotels on Palm Beach are surrounded by jet skis/powerboats pulling rafts/tour operators. Look for a hotel south of the Westin to get on Eagle Beach if you want to be away from all of this and only go to the busy Palm Beach when you want a tour.

Room Tip: Try to get the second floor or higher so you can see something.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Playa Linda Beach Resort? Share your experiences!