“quiet, relaxing, best beach in the area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard | 55, Palm - Eagle Beach 99999, Aruba   |
Boston, Massachusetts
“quiet, relaxing, best beach in the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I just returned from a 5 day trip to Manchebo with my girlfriend. All in all we had a great time (even though it rained a few of the days). While this hotel isn't very aesthetically pleasing or very luxurious, it's great if you're looking for a quiet, casual, relaxing vacation on an amazing beach. There isn't loud music or hundreds of people or 5 pools or 8,000 different activities going on at once - such as in the high-rise section- which is nice for those looking just to let loose and enjoy the sun and water.
The area of beach at this hotel is the best out of probably all of the hotels on the island. The palapas are spread far enough apart that you definitely feel a sense of privacy (unlike most of the other hotels in both the low-rise and high-rise sections where everyone is squished together). There's also always shaded palapas and chairs available (also unlike the big, high-rise hotels -Hyatt, Marriott, Riu, Radisson, Divi Phoenix, Holiday Inn, Westin, etc - where you have to get up at 6 to reserve one or stand in line waiting). The water is crystal clear and great for swimming.
While the staff was all very nice, the service is very slow. Apparently everything is run on "island time," including city buses and service at some restaurants, but this was our first time to Aruba, so I don't know how speedy service is at the other hotels on the island.
The rooms are simple but have nice decor, beds, and a bathroom.
As for the food…Ike's has the best food by far, and Pega Pega (the beach bar) has good food also. While the ala carte breakfast items were delicious (especially the oatmeal pancakes!), the breakfast buffet is WAY overpriced, seeing as how it's comparable to a continental breakfast at a Best Western or Days Inn. Including service charge it costs about $16.65 for a small selection of fruit, bacon, really dry bagels and toast, yogurt and a couple types of granola, as well as a daily special such as a mini spinach omelet. Like I said before, go for the other items they offer off the menu. We ate at the French Steakhouse on the last night and were really disappointed. It's overpriced, we had the slowest most ambivalent service and waiters, and I probably could have gotten a better steak dish at Applebee's. I got the Beef Croustades - tenderloin wrapped in a puff pastry with mushrooms and boursin. While I thought that beef tenderloin is usually sliced into pieces, inside my puff pastry was a giant block of meat that was really hard to eat! My girlfriend got filet mignon wrapped in bacon and said it wasn't very good either. (We're not picky, judgmental foodies, FYI).
All in all, we had a good experience. If more attention had been given to the appearance of the middle of the resort (between the main entrance and the beach - not including the restaurants), and the service had been a bit faster, I would have given this hotel 5 stars.
Basically, if you're looking for a calm, quiet, relaxing vacation on the best stretch of beach on the island (even better than the more expensive low-rises that it's sandwiched between -ie. Bucuti & Tara, Costa Linda, Casa del Mar, and Divi All-inclusive) and don't mind waiting a little more for service, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: you MUST get an ocean view room!! All of the rooms are close to the restaurants and beach, though
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Edgar-Manchebo, General Manager at Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Glad we fulfilled your desire for a quiet, relaxing, casual vacation on Aruba's best beach. Your specific restaurant comments have been reviewed with our chef and our breakfast buffet just got another upgrade with more choices to fulfill your expectations on your next Aruba visit. See you back next time.

1,216 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Lower Compton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My fiance and I stayed here from 01 Jan 13 - 11 Jan 13. The past 10 years we have travelled throughout the Far East and the Maldives and that is why I just mark the hotel average as in comparison to all the hotels we have stayed in. We stayed in a deluxe ocean view room, the room was nothing special.
The staff were really friendly Diana our waitress was lovely always smiling and soon caught on to what we wanted at breakfast and lunch We stayed on a B&B basis
Carlos who works on the beach goes out of his way to find you the spot you want. Works really hard and again always smiling. If it is not available he will come and see you when it's free to ask if you want to move.
We ate in the French Steakhouse has I had read so many good reviews however I was really disappointed my mistake was probably ordering the seafood supreme. It came on a platter not well presented just lots of different fish, the calamari was like rubber and my salmon was overcooked. Needless to say we did not eat there again. Did not eat in Ike's so cannot comment.
An asian restauraunt I would definately reccommend is just a 5 min walk away by the shops and casino called Ginger we ate there twice and would have gone back even more if we had eaten there earlier in the holiday.
There are plenty of restauraunts and shops in Oranjestad and down by the high rise hotels we got the bus into both these places most nights only $5 for the 2 of us and the buses were reliable and convenient to the hotel.
The hotels fitness suite was undergoing renovation but we were allowed to use the gym at Costa Linda just a few mins away which was an excellent gym.
Went on 2 trips the 4hr snorkelling trip on a catamaran, if you haven't snorkelled before you would find it ok, but has we had swam with Manta Rays, turtles and so many fish in the Maldives
last year just didn't compare. The second trip was the Jeep safari with ABC Tours what a great day out and saw the whole of the Island if you are lucky enough to get the 2 tour guides we got Funny Ronny and I am so sorry can't remember the other name you will have a great fun filled day out. It was pouring down for the first hour or so of the trip but that couldn't dampen anyones spirits with Funny Ronny.
Overall we still had a lovely holiday. We are a British couple, would I return to Aruba year after year like lots of the Americans we met NO!!! Just too many other countries to visit.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe ocean view room number 33 but these rooms just have a slight view of the ocean has t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback which is always much appreciated. Glad you enjoyed our great beach and the service provided by our excellent team members.
Farmington, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

This was our third trip to Aruba, First stay at Manchebo. Cannot wait to return The staff are all very pleasant. Everyone made it very hard to leave! The food at steak house and Bistro were adequate. Pega pega, you are all the best and made our stay so pleasant. We miss you all and cant wait to see you in July.This is the nicest beach in aruba. The rooms are very nicely redone and very comfortable. Thanks again Christine and Rick Hickman

Room Tip: Deluxe oceanview .I would definately book in these rooms
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Appreciate your nice review and glad to see that Manchebo is the place for you to turn to for the year to come. See you later this year - our staff will be waiting for you with two nice mojitos.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in December 2012 and found the place to be very nice and very quiet and relaxed. The rooms were clean, the staff was nice and the beach was great. We always got a beach hut and chairs were more than available.

Restaurants and all inclusive option

We booked our stay directly through the hotel's website and opted for the "all inclusive" option. Most guests at the hotel did not opt for this (as we could tell with the number of people who didn't have the all inclusive bracelets). I personally would not get the "all inclusive" option if I were to come back here. The reason being is that the options are very very limited. There are 3 restaurants one of which is open for breakfast, the other option for lunch and then 2 of the 3 are open for dinner. Breakfast and lunch were definitely far from anything special. Dinner was fantastic at both restaurants (quality wise) however the choices were limited and both my wife and I got bored quickly with the variety of choices. There were more restaurants outside the resort and in the other resorts around as well all within walking distance including some fast food choices like Subway and Little Ceasers Pizza which I would have gladly eaten for lunch had I not already paid for it at the hotel's restaurant. The only reason to consider the all inclusive option is if you're a heavy drinker but don't expect to find anyone that'll join you in your drunken adventure. Most guests were families and older couples.

Watersports

There's no designated watersports desk in the hotel or watersports hut on the beach or very near by in case you want to rent a kayak, paddle board or seadoo or go out snorkelling or scuba diving like you'd find if you stay more upwards in Palm Beach. The closest hut is approximately half an hour walk on the beach down towards the airport. If you want to do watersports, rent a car and drive up Palm Beach to where the strip of beach hotels are (Riu, Radisson, etc.). You'll find plenty of huts there with all kinds of options. For us, I went scuba diving with Dive Aruba which was great and we also rented a Jeep Wrangler and went around the island for the day going to the other side of the island (the north east coast) as well as various snorkelling spots. The do-it-yourself option was something we always strive to do now as we're not fans of large organized tours. If you do rent a Jeep, our route started by going north to Malmok beach (great snorkelling), Boca Catalina beach (amazing snorkelling), California Lighthouse (tons of tourist groups), 4X4 offroading the east coast (tons of fun if you've never done it), Natural Pool (hold on to your hats!!), Baby Beach (great snorkelling) and Magel Halto beach (amazing snorkelling). We also went to downtown Oranjestad which was nothing more than expensive touristy stores and some nice buildings as well as a strip of street vendors.

Overall I'd recommend this hotel but without the all inclusive option given the location, price point, service and cleanliness.

Room Tip: There really isn't a bad room I don't think.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Glad you had a nice stay and for recommending the resort.
As for the optional all-inclusive program we offer a fully a-la-carte breakfast, lunch and dinner program for our guests in addition to a breakfast buffet. The popular part of our program is the fully a-la-carte part and the premium open bar. So no lunch and dinner buffets but freshly prepared meals. The down-side could be that we are only a small intimate 72-room resort so the number of restaurants will be less than at one of the larger 400+ room resorts. Our guests can dine a-la-carte at French Steakhouse and Ike's Bistro both featuring jointly over 20 appetizers and 35 main courses. Our chefs are always looking to surprise our guests so menus are continuously updated to meet the high expectations. In fact the pool-side Ike's Bistro features a totally new menu with Mediterranean & Caribbean dishes just introduced 3 months ago.
Amherst, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is a quiet adult-focused resort, with soft music, an efficient and very very friendly staff; we have been visiting, now, for six years; the new restaurant Ike's Bistro is a valuable addition; there are many amenities within walking distance, including new shops and market; much to be recommended

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Appreciate your feedback. Glad you enjoyed the new Ike's Bistro dining experience by our talented chef Ever de Pena. We always love to surprise our guests. See you back next time for trip 7.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Went In March of last year. I cannot say enough good things about this resort....the rooms are beautiful, the service and food is outstanding (esp the steak house) and the location is perfect. Eagle beach is one of the nicest beaches on the whole island. The people are super friendly every where you go and the island itself is breathtaking. Make sure to rent a jeep so that you can see the eastern side and how rugged it is....Ive been all over the Carribean and Aruba is by far my favourite. This was my secong time here and I hope to return very soon.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your nice review. Returning customers are our biggest compliment. Glad you discovered our One Happy Island - we look forward welcoming you back on your next trip.
Indianola, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This was our first trip to Aruba and I have the feeling it will not be the last. We have friends that go ever year and everything they shared with us was spot on. Though they stay in the high rise district, we chose Manchebo for its size, beach and based on the reviews. We (just me and my husband) arrived December 10th and left the 18th.

All the great comments about Manchebo are just that and to be honest now that we have found this slice of heaven, I wish people would stop sharing their reviews. I honestly couldn't sum it up any better. The fish tacos we had at Pega Pega for lunch were wonderful. We never ate at the French Steak House so can't share anything about it. The staff was beyond accommodating, pleasant, etc. They just seemed to embrace us. Goodness when we left my husband went behind the front desk and gave everyone a hug! We are ready to book our trip for next year that's for sure.

Edgar, we totally were planning on attending the reception, my husband told me the wrong time. I am sorry we were not able to meet in person. Again, the staff that we had contact with were very accommodating and always had a smile.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your nice review and glad you found your slice of heaven. Your comments about our staff are just delightful and very much appreciated and I will certain to share them with our team as they always love to hear from guests.
We host the manager's cocktail party every Tuesday afternoon between 4-5 pm - see you then or just ask for me at the front desk - always love to chat and listen to our guests.

Been to Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!