“Our nicest trip together, so far.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa

You added Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard | 55, Palm - Eagle Beach 99999, Aruba   |
Special Offer
FREE MOJITO & WIFI
Hartford, Connecticut
“Our nicest trip together, so far.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Manchebo. We were greeted with mojitos and smiles (they gave us the option to go virgin or add a free shot, which we did.) Our check in was quick and friendly.

The room- Our room faced the ocean but was close to the pool area. Next time I would ask for a room without an adjoining door since we could hear the people in the next room. Our room was also next to the broom and cleaning closet so we could hear the housekeeping staff coming and going in the morning. If we go again we will ask for a room on the other end. *Notice I did not say we would go to another resort. We loved Manchebo's quaint and quiet atmosphere.

The staff- Despite the broom closet proximity, the housekeeping staff was truly amazing to me. They did their magic almost without detection. They were very friendly and helpful in passing when I had questions.
The front desk staff was hit and miss. Most seemed happy to help. Especially the daytime staff. However, night was a little different. One was a bit rude when we asked him about turning in our beach towels at the front desk where the book in the room directed us. It turns out there is a new policy to turn them in at the bar and the book had not yet been updated. Another woman seemed annoyed that my husband didn't know how to make a call to an 800 number from the room's phone. After he asked twice, and got hard to understand instructions, I went and asked her to explain to me like I was a three year old. She then carefully explained and also gave me a local number to call as well. We ended up getting what we needed with a little patience, but there was a big contrast since the daytime staff was so kind.

The restaurant- We ate at Ike's Bistro no less than 8 times (only ala carte breakfast and dinner.) We did not pay for all-inclusive, but we loved the food and service. We saw and interacted with no less than 4 servers per meal, all working as a team to make our experience wonderful. John Marie at dinner, and Ava at breakfast were our favorite servers. However, they were all wonderful and we enjoyed seeing so many smiling faces! The food was well prepared and fresh. The chef regularly sent out small tester items for us to try. We loved everything.

The spa- We had an 80 minute massage in an ocean front cabana (my husband's first.) He really liked it. I have had better massages, but never in a better place. The cabana had beach sounds, birds, and a soft breeze.

We met the manager during our stay and he was receptive to our suggestions and concerns. I am sure they were taken into consideration. The security guard who works in the daytime was a real gem and hugged us when we left, wishing us well and bidding us a safe journey.

Room Tip: If I could choose, I would choose a first floor room, farther from the pool area, but still facing t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Edgar-Manchebo, General Manager at Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you for sharing your in-depth Trip Review with us. Glad you had a great time and we appreciate your detailed feedback which is of great value as we are continuing to make Manchebo one of the best places to vacation. We look forward welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
Tallahassee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Manchebo is a quaint (less than 80 rooms), quiet hotel in the perfect spot of the island. I understand that it was the first low-rise hotel built and has the widest and most beautiful beach anywhere. If you are looking for a place with the noise and immediate access of motorized equipment and discoteques, this is not the place for you.
The check-in was quick and efficient. Ms. Swinda checked us in with a genuine pleasantness that was welcoming and warm, Junior came out of the restaurant with welcoming Virgin Mojitos and a bottle of rum in case you wanted rum in your Mojitos. We received a complementary Yoga class and free drink vouchers. Our bags were taken to our rooms immediately with a smile and conversation. Perfect process for us. Yoga and Pilates classes are held daily in an open air pavilion.
The rooms have been remodeled recently. They are comfortable and every balcony has a view of the ocean to watch the most gorgeous sunsets you will ever see (I recommend grabbing a beverage and sitting on the beach to watch the sunset). The showers are the centerpiece of the room with different jets and plenty of hot water pressure. The beds are comfortable and the staff that services the rooms are efficient and very friendly. Our rooms had refrigerators, microwaves, coffee machines, blow dryers, flat screen TV and a safe.
The beach is clearly the best on the island with attentive service from Carlos and the bar staff. No hassles about obtaining a shaded palapa and no crowd to deal with. If you walk up and down the beach, you can see the congestion at the other facilities. Happy Hour is from 5 to 7 p.m. with 2 for 1 drinks. The Nutty Monkey and Manchomango drinks were tasty and the staff was generous to the point that you got 2 1/2 drinks for 1.
On Tuesday night, the manager has a welcome party where they provide free drinks and appetizers, a very nice touch. The area where the hotel is has a very nice casino a block away as well as a small market for snacks, beverages, etc. There is also a donut shop, pizza and a sandwich/coffee shop.
While this area does not have rental of water sport activities, if you want to indulge, ask Ms. Swinda or Junior and they will have someone pick you up in minutes and return you to the hotel safely. Alternatively, you can walk down the beach for 15 minutes or so and the water sport stands are there for your enjoyment.
Checkout was quick and no surprises. Overall a very wonderful vacation at a special place.
The island itself is so diverse that I would recommend renting a vehicle while you are there. Every beach is unique with the snorkeling at some being spectacular. The terrain at the north side of the island is volcanic and the ocean is extremely violent, creating some spectacular formations along the coastline. Hooiberg is the highest point on the island and you can climb the almost 600 steps for a spectacular view of both sides of the island. The view to the south is obstructed by some trees that should be trimmed to improve the view. Pretty special anyway.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
So nice to see you had such an awesome vacation at our resort. It makes us all feel very proud reading all of the pleasures you got to enjoy both on property as well as on our One Happy Island. The Manchebo Team looks forward welcoming you back during 2013 - Happy New Year by the way members of the TripAdvisor Community.
Elizabethton, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

My husband and I ventured down to Aruba for a 6 night stay at Manchebo Beach Resort and Spa. We had such an incredible experience here. We chose not to do the all- inclusive package, but did dine at the Pega-Pega bar as well as the French Steakhouse, both of which are on the hotel property and served very tasty dishes for myself and my spouse as well. The staff at Manchebo were nothing short of fabulous. They were very helpful, very courteous, and spoke great English which was helpful as well being since I'm from TN. They helped us book tours, greeted us with a welcome beverage upon arrival, called taxis for us upon request daily, spoke in a kind, friendly manner on all occasions, and acted as if they were pleased to assist us in any way. The housekeeping staff works incredibly hard and did a great job keeping our room clean and well stocked with towels, and supplies. The Manchebo provides huts for lounging with longe chairs located on their goregous, peaceful beach. this was a great trip with some wonderful experiences. I would definitely return to this resort and would recommend it to others!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Glad you enjoyed your "best ever trip" at our intimate resort. We do indeed have a great team of associates here at the property who make the Manchebo a special place on this super stretch of beach. Thank you for your recommendation and see you back next year!
Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We just returned from our visit to Aruba, and were disappointed on a lot of levels. We chose Manchebo Beach Resort based on the reviews on here and the fact that it was ranked #4. Perhaps our standards are higher, but it's an average place at best. The room was very small, however, clean and comfortable - nothing overly special for a 'resort.' The beach is bigger than most of the other hotels, and it was never a problem finding chairs. There is an 'attendant' who is supposed to provide 'service' but we hardly saw him and he never made an effort to approach us. The fish tacos and mojitos are good, but we were skeptical as to whether there was any alcohol in the them -- especially when we provided the free drink vouchers. We ever ate breakfast - it's a nasty looking 'buffet.' Go next door to the Aruba Beach Club - excellent breakfast (and good service too) there!

One particular day, 12/22, it rained most of the day, and our toilet stopped working. The front desk told us that it was because of the rain, and that it was a resort-wide issue. Hmm. So I asked a couple of other guests and they were having no issue with their toilet. So we called the front desk again (this is a couple of hours after our first call). We were told that someone would come to take a look. No one came for at least an hour, and it began to work. Basically summarizes our Aruban experience - no urgency to provide service.

We heard how friendly everyone is there, and perhaps that's true, but we didn't exactly encounter top notch service or friendliness.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to read that we failed to impress you. We love to impress our customers and when we don't the team will make certain to learn from the customer's feedback. I have since reviewed the breakfast buffet. Although we think it is a tasty & healthy buffet we will be working on making it even better.
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

After a quick check in with a very pleasant Michelle,we were shown to our room. We were surprised by a knock on our door by a resort employee with two virgin Mohitos and a bottle of rum. Needless to say, there was lots of rum added to the drinks. In addition we received two drink vouchers and yoga sessions. There are a few people who regularly did yoga every day for a small fee.

The rooms are spacious, well equipped and clean.....and most of all the beds were comfortable . We were on the ground floor with direct access to a wide beach with plentiful palapas and sun beds. Carlos always made sure we had everything we needed as well as made sure the facilities were for Manchebo Beach residents.There were plenty of beach towels early in the day. We never used beach service as the bar was only 50 feet way.

Everyone was always pleasant and helpful. A smile does go a long way when you are asking for something.

The ocean was often rough,so it was nice to enjoy a well maintained pool.

There are many good restaurants nearby as well as at the resort. There is a new little mall across the street

The Wecome Cocktail Party was nice with appetizers and free drinks. Edgar sure makes sure everyone is enjoying their stay.

I would like to have had a screen on the door and less light on the beach and spa at night. I realize the lights are for safety reasons.

We are currently looking for next year.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. The Garden rooms do not face the beach.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your trip review and for sharing your recent vacation experience. Glad you got to enjoy all of the things that make Manchebo a special place to return to year after year. I would say cheers to 2013 and greetings from the One Happy Island.
Frederick, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I stayed at the Manchebo Resort (12/12/12 through 12/15/12 )

Okay.When we arrived to Manchebo we were brought to the service desk to recive our room keys and confirm our de Plam Jeep Tour reservations. The man at the desk told us that we needed to go to another resort to confirm our already paid for Plam Jeep Tour. So without being shown to our room we had to wait for a shuttle to take us 8 minutes down the block to a different resort to confirm this tour. When we arrived to this hotel we explaned why we came and what we needed to do and she looked at us confused and asked " Well why did they send you all the way down here? They could have done this themselves." Which was exatctly my point!
After i got all that squared away we arrived back to Manchebo to recive our room key and be shown to our rooms.

The Room was Alright. Nothing that made me go "Oooo, Ahhhh" but still not bad. The shower and bed were the best part of the whole room! The resort was beautiful and the beach looked like a sceen saver! The Bar was great other than the fact the drinks had no alcohol in them. Seroiusly no alcohol what so ever! I drink enough to know if my drink has alcohol or not!

The next morning arived and it was time for us to get picked up for our jeep tour! ( Yay! ). The lady at the front counter told us that we would need to walk to the Divi Lobby to be picked up. I asked her where that is and she gave me unclear directions that sent me on a wild goose chase. After 20 minutes of rushing around in panic, asking 3 different people who gave me 3 different directions and I finally found it... I walked up to one of the front desk people trying to confirm that i was in the right place for thr jeep tour and he had no clue what i was talking about.
luckly we were flaged down by another couple who were going on the tour... We later found out that the Bus was supposed to pick us up from our resort.

Okay so the Service desk has now screwed us twice! ( getting a little sore )

Now the next day I went to the breakfast and It took 15 minutes for anyone to help me! Even after me making eye contact. The woman who helped me was rude and short with me giving me an attitude.
We felt they seemed to wait on us second hand over the older couples! We had to be the youngest couple in the whole resort at 21 but we still payed our money's worth like everyone else!

The last night we ate at the French steak house and I swear to you... I can go across the sreet here at home to China garden, order shrimp fried rice and I kid you not the food tasted just like chinese take out!
One of our steaks were way under cooked and to top it all we were ignored to entire time we were there. Upon leaving there resturant the mannager asked us if we order another round of sprites. After telling her we hadn't she look at us like we were lying and shook us down repeating that she saw us order them and wanted to charge us for it! Truth is we did order another round of drinks and they never came but she wanted to charge us for them! What a joke! We felt very insulted!

Now here is the best part! that night I went to the front desk to let them know that we had tickets for a shuttle to to take us to the airport and that the flight was at 2:30 pm. So she calls a driver n talks to him for like ten minutes joking around with him before even getting around to to matter at hand. finally she hangs up and tells me that the bus will be here at 9:00 am. NINE AM??? I repeted to her that the plane takes off at 2:30! But she just straight faced sat there and said in a rude way " No. Bus comes at nine am! nine am!" pulling that act like she didnt understand english.
So I got the honor on waking up at the but crack of dawn and siting at the Airport for 5 plus hours when we already had a for hour layover on our connecter flight home!!

EACH AND EVERY TIME I WENT TO THE SERVICE DESK WE GOT SCREWED!

Oh! and one more thing! They charge a deposit to your room of what they say to be $150 but after checking my card to find out that they hold $200. After my discovery i reported to the service desk and the lady says that they always take another $50 for incase of damage ... So they lie and tell you that they are charging $150 but really charge $200? and isnt that the main porpuse of the original $150 to begin with! Rob Me blind with a smile on your face!
After doing some exploring of our own we found some nicer resorts at much cheaper prices!
Aruba is for us but defidently NOT manchebo!

I can continue writing more but this place has already wasted oh so much of my time and energy so ill leave it on this note!

DO NOT STAY HERE!!! RUN WHILE U STILL CAN!!!! RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Edgar-Manchebo, General Manager at Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Just returned from the weekly Manager’s Cocktail Party we host every Tuesday afternoon at our resort for our many repeat guests as well as first time visitors, when I read the above trip review. I always love to talk to the resort guests because thanks to their feedback we were able to make the Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa as it is today – an intimate boutique resort located on Aruba’s widest stretch of beach offering service with a smile.
This low-rated review needed some extra research in order for us to find out the reasons why the reviewer advises others not to stay here! As the customers just stayed here last week our staff recalled most of the interactions that were described in the above review. Although I must say that we are certainly not a perfect resort operation I need to say that after doing some research we found some items that I wanted to share.
After speaking with our front desk agent who checked in the guests. He recalls that he welcomed these guests as always with a nice welcome mojito cocktail upon check-in which is compliments of the house – we serve it as a virgin version and if guests wishes we spice it up with a shot of Bacardi. After registration customers inquired how to go about a De Palm Tours Jeep Tour that they had booked on-line with their travel company Cheap Caribbean.Com. As the guests arrived around 6pm at the resort the front office agent contacted the De Palm Tours reservations office to see how our guests would be able to reconfirm their activity as they wanted to go the very next morning. Our agent was advised that the guest would need to go to the nearest De Palm Tour Activity Desk in order to personally reconfirm and obtain their activity ticket. Our agent informed the guest of this De Palm Tours procedure. Since it was after 6pm the nearest open desk of De Palm Tours was at the Divi Tamarijn Hotel which is a 3-minute taxi ride / 15-minute walk away. As the Divi resorts offer a shuttle service we offered to call the shuttle for them so they would not need to walk or take a taxi. I reconfirmed with De Palm Tours head-office today about the procedure for the need to personally reconfirm and they confirmed that the guest does need to do this always and this is a standard procedure for many years already.
The De Palm Tours Jeep Tour leaves from the Divi Resort which is located 3 resorts to the right of our resort from our lobby on a 3 minute walk. Contradictory to what was mentioned in the review this tour does not leave from the Manchebo lobby but from the Divi Resort lobby. Upon confirmation of the tour the guests receive from De Palm Tours the confirmed date, time and place of departure which is then placed by the De Palm Tours staff on the ticket jacket making sure there is no confusion.
For breakfast we serve a buffet-style breakfast as well as a a-la-carte option. Due to the nature of the open-air pool-side restaurant with at least five entrances it could be possible on a busy day that customers seat themselves go unnoticed – 15 minutes is however very unusual. Our staff is in the business of providing customer service and they have been doing this for many years already. The team certainly does not favor guests older over younger guests or for any other reason.
Guest states that we put no alcohol in our cocktails whatsoever. Our bartenders shake the most delicious cocktails and use standard pouring amounts. Now when one orders a sweet tropical cocktail the sweetness overpowers the alcohol and the flavor of the rum like you would taste in a Bacardi Coke would disappear. These guests only had one order of alcoholic cocktails charged to their guest room folio during their stay. One cocktail called the Nutty Monkey comes with rum, banana liqueur, amaretto liqueur, fresh banana and pina colada mix. Needless to say this is a very sweet and delicious concoction which is proudly served by our bar staff. The other cocktail was a Strawberry Daiquiri which comes with strawberries and a shot of rum – it is also very sweet and a nice treat while on the beach – will you taste the rum – not really will you feel the effects after drinking a few more – you surely will.
Guests asked our front desk staff to reconfirm the airport transfer for the next day. A 2:30pm flight departure would usually call for a 11:15am hotel pick-up at the airport. I questioned the front desk agent about calling and chatting for 10-minutes and she mentions that she does not know anyone personally at De Palm Tours and that she normally only extends the regular greetings and certainly not a 10-minute chat. A 9am airport transfer is very unusual for a 2:30pm flight. I double checked with De Palm Tours management and they confirmed that a 2:30pm flight calls for a 11:15am airport pick-up. In fact De Palm Tours does not even have a 9am airport pick-up. The drivers of the De Palm Tours busses need to register at our front desk in a logbook at what time they pass by the resort for an airport transfer or tour. We double checked the log sheet and the first registered bus airport transfer in the logbook was on December 15, 2012 at 11:20am by bus driver Nestor (Bus # 118). There was no registered pick up at 9am?
Guest mentions that we asked for a $150,- authorization but that the credit card company advised her we charged $200,-. This is incorrect as our files / credit card slip (right in front of me) shows a $150,- Authorization Only transaction on Dec. 12, 2012 by approval code #063109 which amount was released on December 15, 2012 upon check-out. There is no record of a $200,- amount whatsoever. So to assume that we “lie” or “Rob you blind …” is what I believe very inappropriate and comments like these do not belong on a web site like TripAdvisor.
Again while talking with our staff they recall interacting with these particular guests in a professional manner arranging taxi rides and asking them upon their return how they enjoyed their dinner.
We are glad you enjoyed our beach and the room and are sorry to see you had such a negative impression of your short 3-nights stay. Glad to see you that you will be returning to our One Happy Island.
The Manchebo Team will continue to proudly offer wonderful vacation experiences.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The Manchebo has many positive features. It is a small resort and as such every room is very close to the beach. The staff is incredibly friendly and the location in the low rise section of Aruba makes it very quiet (if that is what you are looking for).

The only downside is that there is a bit of difference between the promised service and the delivered service. The wait for drinks on the beach is long and the availability of beach towels is scant. I can go for the "island time" theory to some point but it pushes past that in some regards. I'd recommend the resort in spite of this.

I'll review the restaurants separately.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are marginally more and worth it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your recent vacation experience with us. Glad you had an enjoyable time and we very much appreciate you acknowledging the "incredible friendly staff". We are very proud of our team of resort associates and last night we had the pleasure to invite the entire staff to our annual Christmas Party where they enjoyed great food & drinks and danced the night away with lots of meringue and salsa.
And for your note on our beach towel service I would like to thank you for bringing that to our attention as well as we were able to address this right away by talking to the laundry company.
See you back next year on our One Happy Island.

Been to Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!