“Beautiful Trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort

You added Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort to your Saves list
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   J.E. Irausquin Blvd 252 | PO Box 1302, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Special Price
35% Last minute deal!!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

My fiance and I stayed at the Amsterdam Manor in December and could not have asked for anything more. Beautiful accomadations, beautiful beach. It was very convenient having a grocery store in walking distance. The cab drivers were all great, super informative. I felt so safe. I loved shopping and walking around downtown. We took the public bus downtown; at first we were a little nervous but it was clean, safe, and everyone is so nice and helpful. The restuarants started to add up so we went to Iguana Joe's in town. It was awesome and had very fun drinks. The one disappointmnet was the lack of waves in the ocean. I enjoy crazy waves so I was bummed but if you like calm and tranquil visit Aruba.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jurgenambr, Manager at Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback and sharing your experiences. We're happy you choose us as your vacation destination and we’re even happier to hear you enjoyed your stay. Aruba has beaches to relax and also beaches with good waves. We recommend you to go for a day on the other site of the island to enjoy the waves for your next trip. We will be waiting for you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

My boyfriend and I are in our late twenties and just returned from our stay at Amsterdam Manor. Eagle Beach is a great location if you prefer a low-key atmosphere. We felt that the number one benefit was less people on the beach. We had our own personal space and never had a problem getting chairs under a hut (for shade) at any time of the day. The bus stop across the street was very convenient and a cheaper alternative to taxis for traveling to Palm Beach or Oranjestad for dinner. We were also able to save money by walking to the large grocery store nearby and using the kitchenette in our room.

Overall, the food exceeded our expectations for breakfast and lunch. We loved the atmosphere at Passions Beach Bar. The Happy Hour is a good deal and the drinks were excellent and strong. We also had dinner at Passions. It was one of the best restaurant experiences we had on the island.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your vacation experiences. We are glad that you loved Passions, our Happy Hour and we are even happier that our food exceeded your expectation. We hope that you will come back soon to enjoy another vacation in paradise.
Kerkrade, Limburg, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

What a lovely weel looked after hotel. We. Arrived early so had to wait for our room , we had booked a superior room with a jaccuzzi, but we were upgraded to a onebedroom appartement
It was lovely, seperate bedroom kitchnet and long lounge with a terrace, all ammeneties iron ironing board complete kitchen ,
Bed was very comfy, beach towels supplied everyday, cleanliness of the appartment was excellent,
Lady even came round in the evening to emmpty the water out of the condensation unit and supplied us with chocolates. Staff very friendly and helpfull, we had the breakfast included which was very good continental plus eggs bacon etc.
The beach is excelent plus the service on the beach.
We used the busses the whole time we were there 4.60 dollars for two for anywere on the island,
We would reccomend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the fantastic review. We do our best to make your vacation the best vacation ever! We hope to see you back soon at the Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort!
Brighton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Don't put your stateside travel expectations on travel abroad! This is a tropical island crossed with European travel standards which equals a great vacation! Friendly staff, great drinks and food, awesome beach and clean accommodations and grounds. We were really impressed with everything here. There is a grocery store ( Super Foods) within walking distance as well as a small shop in the courtyard of the hotel. Concierge is very helpful and will direct you to reputable companies to work with. We rented a jeep and it was delivered right to the hotel.

Eagle beach area is a quiet sandy beach but within walking distance (30 minutes) to Palm beach and the touristy and plastic hi rise district. Or you can take the bus for $2.50 - driver accepts US and will make change. Yes you can get your beloved Budweiser but live a little and throw back a local balashi or some of the best mojito's that You'll ever have! Great happy hour and really nice pool and courtyard area.

Honestly I have nothing to complain about here and either will you, it's a beautiful little resort! Water, as advertised, is delicious and safe. Area, as is the same all over aruba, is safe.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing this information and we are very happy that you were impressed with our services, resort and our staff. We hope to see you back at our resort for your next trip.
Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

My family and I just returned from a magical 4 nights in Aruba. I don't think any of us were expecting very much - we booked this trip because my brother was competing in an international swim meet in Aruba, so we decided to go ahead and make a trip of it. Having visited our fair share of Caribbean islands in the past (we are originally from Trinidad & Tobago, and have been to Jamaica, St. Maarten, Grenada, Bahamas, and Barbados..to name a few), you could say we weren't expecting to be blown away by any means - especially because Aruba is a well-known cruise/casino/all-inclusive-package hotspot.

All this to say..we FELL IN LOVE WITH ARUBA! And I really think our stay at Amsterdam Manor had something to do with that. It is located in what is called "The low rise" area.. You have the "high rise" area with the massive hotel chains like The Ritz, Riu, The Marriot..etc etc..and then you have the "low rise" with smaller, boutique, family-run hotels like Amsterdam Manor. When we travel, our family generally prefers the more intimate feel of family run/boutique hotels..and oftentimes the only "amenity" lacking is a fitness center. (We actually went to The Ritz a few times as some other members of our family decided to stay there,,and honestly, it was terrible - a huge box with no personality/soul. Although it has the name (and the price tag) we all agreed we were so glad we chose Amsterdam Manor.)

Anyway I'm rambling. From the time we arrived, until after checkout, we were really blown away by the friendliness of the staff at Amsterdam Manor and their eagerness to accommodate us...Aruba's tagline "One Happy Island" couldn't be more fitting! I would like to give a special shout out to Juan, Angelique, and Keshawn who really went above and beyond to make us feel special. I've been to islands where the employees/service can feel forced and in pursuant of tips..but this wasn't the case at Amsterdam Manor..they seemed genuinely interested in getting to know us and doing whatever possible to make our stay memorable. (One comment though, there was an older lady who checked us in..we arrived late and she seemed a bit flustered and said "I only work when the other girl is off"..we were able to get everything we needed but it wasn't as seamless as we would've liked. I'm not going to fault Amsterdam Manor too much for this..as it was the only less than stellar experience we had, but I thought it was good to mention anyway.)

Three of us - my mom, myself, and my sister - stayed in the one bedroom suite with a king size bed. On the website it says it sleeps 2-4 people,,but to be honest I think the extra 1/2 people will have to be small children (like my sister age 13) who are wiling and able to sleep on a pull out bed/cot. The "pull out sofa bed" is not so much a pull out as it is a small single bed that pulls out from underneath the sofa..not sure if that is making sense..but my sister wasn't comfortable with sleeping on the sofa bed in the end so we had to have a cot delivered to our room and placed right outside our room (she wanted to be close to us). The accommodations themselves were very spacious, large living, dining, and kitchen area..but I have to say the bathroom was quite small - especially for three ladies all trying to get dressed at the same time! But we made it work. The suite could definitely use more towel hooks - we ended up having to hang many of our towels on the door. Oh and the bathing suite hanging string in the shower is definitely a plus! The AC was kicking and the wifi worked perfectly well.

A word on the location..Amsterdam Manor is literally a 4 second walk away from gorgeous Eagle Beach. (Palm Beach is definitely more for people looking to have a good time, while Eagle Beach is perfect for couples and families looking more for calm and relaxation). I don't think I've ever seen water so blue, and sand so white..one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been to in my life! There are tiki huts on the beach, and as many chairs, towels, and floaties that you could possibly need. Although there aren't any private beaches in Aruba..when we were at the beach we felt like we were had our own slice of heaven. When searching for other hotels, one of the main drawbacks was that you had to line up at the crack of dawn in order to reserve a chair/hut on the beach. Our experience at Amsterdam Manor couldn't have been more opposite. We went at various times throughout our stay, 10:00am, 3:00pm, 5:30pm..and there were always chairs available and staff to accommodate us.

The food !!!! The food was excellent all around. The breakfast consisted of a continental and American option..everything from fresh local fruit and pastries, to pancakes, bacon, and made-to-order omelets. OMG the freshly squeezed orange juice was heavenly. The one thing that was a bit of a nuisance when we were there were the flies - it appears that they like to come out in the morning a bit, so you will have to pay attention at times and some seats in the Mangos Restaurant (where breakfast is served and dinner) are definitely better than others. (No flies at night tho!) But that's part of the experience, I suppose,,and being from the Caribbean originally we are pretty accustom to all sorts of creatures! We ate dinner at Mangos once, and my Mom and I both agreed that the sea bass (the special that day) was the best we have ever had! We also ate dinner a few times at Horizon Beach Bar - typical beach food, I really recommend the fish tacos. And finally, Passions on the Beach, a beautiful on-the-beach restaurant that is pure romance. I actually ate from the gluten free menu that night, and they somehow managed to make sautéed vegetables a memorable meal. Oh,,and the cocktails were all delicious.. mojitos, planters punch, pina coladas,,we had (and enjoyed them all!)

Aaaaand now I feel like one of those crazy people who leaves 5/6 paragraph reviews on Trip Advisor. But I will end by saying that at breakfast one day, we met a couple from New York who stays at Amsterdam Manor for one week a month because they love it so much. And we can see why. STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Jurgenambr, Manager at Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
First of all thank you very much for your detailed review about Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort and for coming to Aruba for the International Swimming Competition. You are totally right we are a small intimate resort and we are situated at one of the best beaches in the world. I can agree with you that we are missing a fitness centre; however most of our guests normally just want to relax at the pool or beach to enjoy their vacation.
Certainly our employees do their outmost best to make your vacation days very special. From the review we can read that even though you have some mentioning for improvements your stay was absolute great and that you will be more than happy to have you back as our guest! See you soon
Northford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

My wife and I decided to take a much overdue "adults only" vacation. Now, we have traveled to a plethora of locations domestically in the US to remote locations of Asia, but Aruba is definitely our vacation destination. Upon our arrival we were pleasantly surprised to find out we were upgraded to the Honeymoon Suite (L2). The room was everything we could hope for from the comfortable bed, space friendly living area, and deluxe bathroom. Most importantly it was fresh and very clean!!!

Additionally, we have stayed in both the high rises as well as the low rises, and next year, we will once again be returning the low rises at the Amsterdam Manor Hotel.

Our days began and ended with the beach, and the friendly and courteous staff at the Manor was always there to ensure that our needs were met. There are 3 particular areas I want to mention, unfortunately I only have 1 of their names.

The bell person was just as helpful on our way in, as he was on our way out. Ensuring that our ride to the Airport was available and on time during the busy school vacation week.

The person on the beach, there during the weekdays, with his sunglasses and orange shirt (I know this probably describes everyone), was ever so helpful. On days we decided to enjoy a late afternoon on the beach, he would do his best to locate an open shade with 2 chairs. I explained it wasn't necessary as he was running around helping other guests, but he insisted and proceeded to unlock the chairs and move them into a preferred location for us.

Finally, our "personal" concierge, Tamara, is someone I would not forget to mention. From her jovial personality to her "on the spot" recommendations, our trip definitely was everything it was intended to be. Her patience with us, as we went back and forth with ideas, was equally matched by her professionalism. Not to mention the numerous calls and negotiations, how they helped us to enjoy the adventures and fine eateries in Aruba without compromise. Thank you Tamara, from our trip horseback riding, to the catamaran sail, to our dinner at Passions on the beach.

It is people like this, who make our trips/vacations what they are intended to be, for fun, rest and relaxation.

Bravo Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort, you truly have some wonderful people who have ensured our return visit for next year!!!!

Room Tip: The room location depends on the person. We prefer a room with an ocean view, so our location was i...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
We are happy that you have enjoyed your stay and that you really like our staff, especially our bellman who is really doing a good job.
In addition it is nice to read that you enjoyed the service of your “personal concierge”. Tamara is always ready to go the extra mile! We hope to see you back at the Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort Soon!
Quakertown, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I decided that I wanted to turn 50 on the beach so I planned a trip to Aruba with my husband, our two adult children, and my sister and brother-in-law. We booked a two bedroom suite (208) and my sister and her husband booked a standard studio (C11).

We arrived at AM early and check-in went very smoothly. We were offered a welcome drink and our rooms were ready so we were able to check-in early. I figured that it wouldn't be a big deal if we couldn't get in early because I thought AM would have a locked room to store our luggage until we were able to check-in but it looked as though people had to leave their luggage in the lobby until their rooms were ready.

When we saw our suite, we were very happy! It was perfect for us. It was fairly spacious, overlooked the pool with a nice balcony, and had a beautiful view. After the horrendous winter we had, it felt good! We were just settling in when there was a knock at the door and when I opened it, it was AM staff with a bottle of wine and two balloons with a Happy Birthday note attached. That was unexpected and very nice touch! Thank you AM :)

The beds were great and so was housekeeping. The only issue we had was that the air conditioning vent above the kitchen sink had condensation that smelled moldy coming out of the vent and dripping off of the soffit, so when standing at the kitchen sink the cold, smelly drips would randomly drip down in our hair, on our arms, or our back. Also, the cabinet under the kitchen sink smelled musty and moldy. When we arrived, our dish towels were under there and we couldn't use them. Housekeeping readily replaced them with fresh ones and we are pretty adaptable so we did what we could to avoid the drips when standing at the sink. We did not report this to management because it clearly was not a new issue and I didn't think a solution would be readily available.

The highlight of our trip was taking a ride on the Kukoo Kunuku party bus (we had a blast - highly recommended if you're feeling a little crazy). The UTV tour through DePalm tours followed up as a close second (also very fun). We booked both of these through Concierge Mayre who was awesome! She was always very friendly and helpful! Thanks Mayre :) Conversely, Concierge Tamara (seemed like she filled in on Mayre's days off) was useless! If you go in the office and you see Tamara is working, my suggestion is that you turn around and go back another day when Mayre is working if possible. In my opinion, Tamara should not be working in the capacity of a Concierge; she was a huge turn off.

Other things that I would recommend checking out if you have an interest are - The Butterflyfarm (it is walkable from AM but might want to consider taking the bus depending on activity level and ability to handle the hot sun-although not sure where the bus stop is up there). You will pay admission to The Butterfly Farm initially, but can go back as many times as you wish while you are vacationing for free :) Also, I have always wanted to do the fish (Garra Rufa) pedicure and when I realized I could do that in Aruba I was psyched. The Garra Rufa Wellness Footspa is run by Hotske Wanders at Spa del Sol on Manchebo beach. My daughter and I went to Manchebo for Yoga the first morning and then got Hotske's card to call her and set up a time for the pedicure. If you get the chance, check it out! The experience was different and fun. The cost is $25 for a half an hour. Manchebo is also walkable depending...I would suggest taking the bus there and walking back to AM because we had kind of a hard time finding the bus stop to come back. On the way there it is only two bus stops heading south (to the left if facing the beach).

AM had different theme nights at Mango's and a movie on the beach one night. We never ended up eating at Mango's but we did order burgers, etc., from the pool bar (made at Mango's) to take to the movie and everything was good. Watching a movie on the beach was fun.
For me, trying to figure out where to go to dinner in Aruba was kind of overwhelming. There are SO many places! Our kids made reservations at La Trattoria (at the lighthouse) for my birthday the second night. The view and the sunset were stunning! I had the chicken with cheese filled tortellini in a vodka sauce (VERY good!) and my husband had the fillet with red wine sauce and brown sugar (excellent!!). The next night we went to Amuse Bistro in Playa Linda (high rise district-fun place to walk around at night), my husband got short ribs and lobster and he said it was FANTASTIC! He thought about it for days afterward. I got the herb crusted pork loin and thought it was just okay (strong Dijon mustard taste). We spotted Smokey Joe’s in Playa Linda on our way to Amuse Bistro so we tried that the following night, also very good. Dinner on the beach at Passions was a lovely setting with a beautiful sunset, but my meal was disappointing. The banana chicken tasted like it wasn’t done and a couple bites were like chewing gum. I didn't say anything to our waitress Nathaly, who was wonderful and went above and beyond to make us feel at home. Her hospitality was much appreciated! Plus, everyone else enjoyed their meal at Passions.

Other tips - If you are planning on buying liquor to make your own drinks, buy what you want in the Aruba airport before exiting. There isn't a big selection, but it is about half the price of what you pay once you step foot outside the airport. I bought a big bottle of Red Berry Ciroc vodka in the airport for $40 and in the liquor store at Super Food the same size bottle was $90. I ended up mixing the Red Berry Ciroc with club soda and some kind of purple/berry Royal Club soda from Super Food and it was deelish! Remember to take an insulated mug for the beach/pool if this is your plan :) It saves a lot of money and calories!

The Super Food grocery store was awesome! Especially if you're a cheese and/or bread lover - they have the best! Plus, I was able to buy Lactaid Milk there, etc. Tip regarding your first trip to the store - I recommend taking a wheeled piece of luggage to bring back your food, especially if you are planning on buying a case of beer. It makes life a lot easier and we didn't think of it until we were leaving the store. Then on the way back to AM we saw someone coming towards us wheeling their carry-on.

When printing your return trip boarding pass at AM, the only computer you can print from is the middle computer. I think they told me this when we checked-in but I wasn't worried about checking-out at that point, so I forgot and did everything on an end computer before realizing so just a heads up.

My brother-in-law wanted to snorkel, but didn't necessarily want to go on an official excursion so we took the bus to Arashi beach one morning (one of the stops on many of the snorkeling tours). There are a couple of palapas and shade trees but no chairs. Not all of the buses go there, but if you ask the driver before you get on the bus s/he will tell you if s/he is going there. I asked the first bus driver and he said he would take us there as a courtesy :) We waited at least 30 - 40 minutes for a return bus before randomly striking up a conversation with a couple who had a rental car and were staying at the hotel next to us so they gave us a ride back. I think the bus driver said the buses only come 1x per hour when you are up that far. My guess is that the bus comes on the hour, but we didn’t wait long enough to confirm that.

My 50th birthday was the best birthday ever! I couldn’t have asked for anything more. We had a fabulous time in Aruba and loved AM. Not sure if we will be back to Aruba because I enjoy checking out new and different areas when we travel (feels like so much to see and so little time), but if I feel the need for a familiar get away it would certainly be a close call between Aruba, Barbados, and Grand Cayman. I would definitely recommend AM to anyone who prefers smaller, more personal, one - three story hotels. That is all I book when we travel . . . much better than the high rises in my opinion!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Jurgenambr, Manager at Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
We are very happy that your birthday was the best birthday ever and thank you for the positive review of the resort and our staff. We have notice that you had an inconvenience with the air-conditioning vent. We’re very sorry to hear about this. We do encourage you to inform our management team of any inconveniences during your next trip. We could have had a solution for the problem. Although as mentioned in your review you like to check out new different areas when you travel we do hope to see you back in the future at the Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort.

Been to Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort? Share your experiences!