“Perfect Relaxing Getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort to your Saves list
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   J.E. Irausquin Blvd 252 | PO Box 1302, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Boston, Massachusetts
“Perfect Relaxing Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We went to Amsterdam Manor from September 19-23 for a long-weekend trip from Boston, MA, USA. Because we relied on these reviews so much in deciding to plan our trip, we felt obligated to report back that our trip was perfect, even better than we could have possibly expected, and that the staff and amenities at Amsterdam Manor were responsible for our trip being so fantastic.

Our expectations for the trip were for my girlfriend and I to unwind, relax, and celebrate. All we wanted was a place where we could sit on the beach by day while drinking, reading, and floating in the water, and at night find a good place for a relaxing dinner. We decided to get the all-inclusive option at Amsterdam Manor, mostly because we weren't really planning on leaving the hotel to explore the island save maybe a shopping trip that we took on Saturday morning.

Additionally, we were really drawn to Aruba because everyone we know who has gone there has raved about it being their favorite warm getaway, it is convenient (you can use US currency), it is on EST, and a 4 1/2 or so hour direct flight from Boston (via Jetblue).

Knowing all our considerations and what we wanted out of the trip, our review will make a lot more sense. We left on a Thursday and got into the hotel by one in the afternoon. Our room wasn't ready, but we were given our all-inclusive bracelets and told we could change in the lobby and grab lunch on the beach. We read the information about the all-inclusive package, and it comes with drinks on the beach, lunch at the hotel (either at Mangos, which is at the hotel near the pool, or at Passions Beach Bar, which is right on the beach), dinner (one night at Passions On The Beach, the other either at Mangos, which is behind the pool, or Tulips, located two hotels down on the road), breakfast, free snorkeling gear, and free bike rentals (we didn't use either of the last two). We also found out that we got a free upgrade, which ended up being one of the best aspects of our vacation: we wanted a superior studio (the one with the ocean view) and they upgraded us to a 2 bedroom suite with a balcony looking over the ocean. This balcony had two beach chairs, a table with two more chairs, and a drying rack for bathing suits, and ended up being where we'd watch the sunset almost every night at around 6:30.

Our trip ended up consisting of waking up early and going to Mangos for Breakfast, where we were greeted by Juan, who I would equate to a "cruise director" who serves both as a waiter and a social liaison. He'd walk around talking to everybody, cracking jokes, and encouraging people to talk with one another. He's the kind of guy who even at breakfast would be offering you whiskey, and at lunch would bring you a new Amstel Bright in a tin bucket filled with ice as you were finishing your previous one. We'd head to the beach, where the morning was hot but not overwhelmingly so, and we'd tan, read, and drink when the beach bar opened. We found, at our time of the year, getting down to the beach by 10 we'd have a front row cabana, chairs, and the floating pads, and even on most of the days we were there the cabanas hardly ever filled completely. We'd grab drinks at the beach bar, grab lunch at Passions Beach Bar (with Juan again, who would still be there cracking jokes in all of the five or six languages he could speak), sit at the beach again in the afternoon (but usually under the cabanas or in the water since it started to get too hot to stay out in the sun for long periods of time), go to the bar near the pool for afternoon happy hour (where, in our experience, more of the people went for happy hour if you're interested in meeting other people and being social), retreat to our balcony for sunset, get ready for dinner, and then head to bed.

Because our experience was really just about sitting on the beach, eating, and drinking, I'll talk a little bit more of each of these. The beach was amazing. The cabanas were nice (and if you were early, some even had outlets). There are nice beach chairs, towels, and big yellow floating pads for you to use. The water was clear, warm, and gorgeous. We joked that it was so clear that we didn't get why anyone would snorkel considering you'd think one could just look down and see the bottom of the ocean, but then a kid swam up to us with a live starfish and we had to recant our criticisms of the snorkeling area. There is a reason Eagle Beach is considered one of the best beaches in the world, and we found that the Amsterdam Manor section of it was not very crowded and especially relaxing.

Food and drink: As mentioned above, we got the all-inclusive option because we didn't want to have to travel around the island to head to dinner or drinks, and we thought it would be a good deal to get all-inclusive. We ended up eating at the hotel and using our all-inclusive for every meal, and it ended up being a extremely cost-efficient and pleasant option. Passions on the Beach is an experience that you don't find in many places, and the ambiance there was among the top restaurants I've ever been to. The food at all of the restaurants was good and certainly was above our expectations. For breakfast at Mangos, I'd say it's probably the least noteworthy of the dining options, considering it's buffet-style and buffet-style breakfasts usually aren't that noteworthy unless they are bad. Mangos was good, and we had nothing to complain about. We ate at Passions Beach Bar for lunch every day, and while the portions were huge, the food was good, and we especially loved the sauces. We don't normally have Caribbean sauces in Boston, so the pina colada dipping sauce on the coconut shrimp and the spicy chile sweet and sour sauce on the calamari was delicious and enjoyed immensely. For everything else we ate, the food was good, and my only criticism could be having options for sides for the food other than french fries (or, because the dishes are usually accompanied by a mountain of french fries, splitting that into fries and maybe a small salad or something tasty yet not starchy and filling). For dinner at Mangos and a dinner at Tulips (the other all-inclusive dinner option at the hotel two blocks down), the food was on par with a good restaurant in Boston, and we were actually surprised at the quality considering that, in all the meals we ate in Aruba at Amsterdam Manor, there wasn't one dish we didn't like. If you are a foodie looking for exotic or crazy culinary concoctions, this isn't quite the option for you, but if you're looking for a safer menu at a hotel that clearly is devised to appeal to a variety of travelers, you won't be disappointed.

I think the only thing about the food that we can't really evaluate is the price. Because we didn't have to worry about whether we were ordering a specific dollar amount (the all-inclusive even included a 15% service fee, though we did add on at the end of our trip to people like Juan who made the experience better), and because we didn't eat anywhere other than Amsterdam Manor, we can't comment on the price of a specific dish compared to the market. However, the quality was such that, if we were eating the same meal at a restaurant in Boston, I don't think we would have minded paying the same price for the meal. Thus, the bonus of getting to eat it in an environment like Aruba was certainly a plus.

For those considering the all-inclusive option, we stayed at the hotel for 4 days, drank all day, and loosely kept track of how cost-effective the option was. Neither my girlfriend and I are big eaters (we didn't get an appetizer or dessert at half of our meals), but we did drink quite a bit (probably 1-2 drinks an hour from 11-7). We found that, for each of us, the all-inclusive saved us between $50-100/day/person, and that included a great dinner at Passions that itself almost cost the $125/person that the all-inclusive costs/day. When, not if, we come back to Amsterdam Manor, we'll probably get the option again, though maybe try going to another restaurant on the island for one or two dinners, and, for us, we still think it would be cost-effective.

For our opinions on the things that tend to come up in a lot of these reviews (considering we read them every week for 6 months before our trip to get us excited):

There was no smell.
The internet worked adequately (sometimes wifi was spotty, but usually worked if you moved closer to the hot spot in our room), and there were computers you could use if you didn't want to use your mobile device.
There was a pool, which we actually thought was appropriately sized for the size of the hotel and the proximity to the beach. It never seemed like there were more than 2 or 4 people in it at any point in the day.
The beach was not that crowded, but it also wasn't really in "season" when we went.
The floors did not get wet in our room.
The air conditioning was not that cold.
The "sweet water" that Aruba is famous for is actually really good.
The beds were extremely comfy. They definitely were on the firmer side, but you could tell the mattresses were nice, and we slept like rocks.
The "road" was really a small bike lane and two one-way roads separated by a median. That being said, you didn't feel like it was "big" or an eyesore. It reminded me more of a neighborhood road than a "highway" (as some people have characterized it). We never felt in danger crossing it, and because it is two one-lane roads with a median in the middle, it's not like you're playing a real-life game of "Frogger" to get to the beach.

We hope you find this review helpful, and if you decide to go to Amsterdam Manor, we hope you love your time there as much as we did (and say hi to Juan!)

1,024 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

THE RESORT: I have stayed at Amsterdam Manor three times so far and of all the places I have traveled (including Turks and Caicos), Aruba is my favorite home away from home. Amsterdam Manor is a quaint boutique style hotel on the most beautiful beaches in the world. Transportation between the airport and this resort is a quick and easy $20 cab ride. My last trip there was my daughter's college graduation present~she loved it as much as I do! Ladies should be ready for ponytails or "beach hair", as there are some serious island breezes here! Your hair may get a little windblown but the trade winds will also keep you cool!
ROOMS: The rooms and the grounds here are immaculately clean as well as spacious. We don't usually do the all inclusive plan because even the standard studios have a kitchenette. The kitchenettes are fully stocked with a fridge, 2 (or 4 burner in the larger units) stove, microwave, coffeemaker, toaster, blender, pots and pans, china and silverware. I usually go to Ling and sons market to shop for a few grocery basics - it's nice to be able to get up, make breakfast and eat on the patio in the morning!
FOOD: Mangos is AM's onsite restaurant. The food is great morning noon or night! You can also order food at the beach. There is a lovely pool and two bars on the grounds as well. Complimentary appetizers are served during happy hour at the upper bar. There are tons of dining options and Casinos on nearby Palm Beach (Palm Beach reminds me of a tropical Las Vegas).
THE BEACH: This resort is located on the most beautiful strip of Eagle Beach. There is an endless strip of powdery sand beach and plenty of Palapas and chairs (without the 6am rush to "save" a spot). There are also free "floaties" and the water is so calm here you can float in the ocean!
OUT AND ABOUT: Getting to and from town or to Palm Beach is super easy, since the bus stops right out front about every 20 minutes! Although driving here is safe and easy; beware that there are hardly any road signs - directions are more like "drive to Noord and take a right at the church...". It is well worth the time and effort to go hiking and exploring on this beautiful island! Don't miss the famous California Lighthouse - the views from here are incredible and there is a wonderful Italian Restaurant at the top of the hill for incredible sunset dining. If you are adventuresome (and in fairly decent shape) the hike through Arikok to "Concha" to swim in the natural pools is exhilarating - for those who would prefer to relax a bit more on vacation; you can also take a jeep tour or 4 wheel tour here as well. Another "don't miss" in Aruba is the Alto Vista Chapel - it is an amazing "journey". Save time for shopping at the Royal Plaza and the flea market across the street! *Tip: Prices go up when the cruise ships are in port.

Room Tip: I like the "C" section
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I usually don’t write reviews, but this resort was great (Our first low-rise resort) and I thought I’d share my comments. We stayed September 23rd- 30th 2013. Weather network was calling for rain most of the time we were there but they were wrong – it was sunny and mid 30s the entire trip . Cab ride to hotel from airport is a flat fee of $22 US. Upon arrival, our room wasn’t ready but there is a sign there that says check in is at 4pm, we arrived at 1pm. By 2:30pm it was ready and they gave us a free upgrade! I would recommend emailing before hand or messaging them on facebook (they are very quick at responding) to let them know you will be arriving early...

When reading some of the older reviews, I was worried about the following topics:

Bad Smell: Did not notice any smell while we were there. Resort was very clean and quiet.
Uncomfortable mattresses: Our mattress was fine, slept like a baby the entire time. I noticed that they were replacing mattresses in the rooms, so it looks like alot of the rooms, if not all, will have new mattresses in them.

Lack of hot water: I was worried about this, hate taking cold showers. First day, I had the handle pushed to the far right and the water was luke warm... wasn’t impressed... then realized that the right side is cold, and the left side is hot... and its really hot! The water pressure could have been a little better, but no big deal.

Road next to resort: It was no hassle crossing the street to get to the beach – We have stayed at lots of high rise resorts, from Sandals in Antigua to Holiday Inn in Jamaica, and it honestly took quicker to get to the beach from the room than any of those big high rise resorts. At night, there would be the odd loud car that would drive by or motorcycle but it didn’t bother me, my wife woke up a couple times though.

Super Food Grocery store: I was expecting like a 7/11, but this store was big! It had everything you needed, from pop tarts to Heineken... its about a 2-3 minute walk from the resort. The walk is a little off road and seems like you are walking into a deserted field... but its only a few yards like this.

Room: We stayed on the B side, room was clean except floors always seemed to be kind of dirty, (I would bring slippers next time or wear sandals inside) small fridge, microwave, kettle, toaster, gas stove top (no oven) and they even provided paper towels and soap for the dishes. AC worked very well along with every other appliance. Room would be cleaned daily and pretty early, before noon. Free WIFI in room, but very weak... I could check my emails but thats about it.

Beach: Beautiful! Like most reviews have stated. White, white sand and very clear water. Clear enough we actually fed fish with some bread in the mornings. Also, you don’t have to wake up early and reserve seats with your beach towel – there are plenty of huts and the staff brings chairs when you arrive. We would get to the beach daily around 930-1030am and we always found a spot. Also, no one is trying to sell you anything while relaxing on the beach... had that happen to us at a few resorts. I would also recommend bringing a foldup cooler bag, you can pack and then bring on to the beach with some cold drinks.

Pool: Nothing really special... 4 ft deep all around, small and open 24 hours... usually empty.
Resort is in a great location and bus stop is right in front of the resort. Bus fair is $2.50 pp to go downtown and sometimes, when you are waiting for the bus, a cab will pull up and charge you same rate as bus!

Must do:

-Passions on the beach: One of the best meals we had on the island and the view from the table is stunning. Service was excellent and they had nice touches. ie. light up menus, orders put down on ipads...

-De Palm Tours UTV excursion: The trip was worth every penny. Stop off at 3-4 different locations and on the way get to drive in some awesome off-road terrain. Very scenic, guide was knowledgeable. I would recommend wearing a bandana or something that covers your mouth as you will get dirty from the dust. They also provide you with snack and water. Tour lasts about 4 hours.

Overall, great, friendly clean resort! if you are looking for a lot of activities, shows and entertainment crew, this resort isn't for you.

Hebron, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I just spent our 25th wedding anniversary here and it was simply amazing. The resort is clean and the staff are very friendly and extremely helpful! We had a 1 bedroom which was perfect! The beach is absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to go back!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Amsterdam Manor. Spacious room (we had a 1 bedroom suite), comfortable bed, nice thick towels, well equiped kitchen. Staff was fantastic, specially Juan at the breakfast could really make everybody feel special. Rooms were kept very clean. Beach just across the road is fabulous, the best beach in Aruba! We sure be back again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lakewood, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed at Amsterdam Manor for 8 days 7 nights. The first person we encountered (besides the front desk person) was Juan down at the beach bar. Meeting such a nice person within the first couple of hours on the island put us in the frame of mind that this was going to be a very nice vacation! The resort upgraded our room to a 2 bedroom suite. We stayed in S1. We have no idea why we received the upgrade but very much appreciated it! During our stay, they changed out all the mattresses in every room of the resort. Each evening, housekeeping would come to put chocolate on our pillows. We had a wonderful view of Eagle beach. The staff at the resort are wonderful. I can't remember the ladies name at the front desk but she was very helpful whenever we needed something. Thank you Amsterdam Manor!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Etters, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed in room 112B, a one bedroom suite. Very nice room with all the right touches. My wife and I will stay there again, however we will ask for more bedding to make the bed softer. I know that individual preferences are unique, so my rating of the property cannot be rated lower because of that. The staff could not have been friendlier or the property cleaner. We did ask the front desk if the water could be made warmer for our showers, but again, being the tropics and having expirienced water temps around the world, the temps were not unsatisfactory and they remained the same for our 3 day stay. My rating is 4 out of 5 only because of the ongoing maintenance around the pool area, which again, must be done sometime. 5 of 5 means perfect, 4 of 5 is a standard that I wish 80% of the hotels we stay in could meet but do not. Our stay was wonderful, and we will see these folks again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort? Share your experiences!