“One Happy Island” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Maryland, United States
“One Happy Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We just returned from our first 5 night trip to Aruba. It was an amazing experience. The Hyatt was a gorgeous property and truly made us feel special. We were celebrating our 10 year anniversary. We have traveled to many places over the last 15 years and this by far was the best place we visited. The hotel was expensive but we were prepared as we had read the reviews. There are lots of local restaurants in walking distance. Tip on the huts: there were none available the first day and we knew we didn't want the morning stress. We walked down the beach towards the Piet pier and were greeted by Jesus who works for a local tour company. We rented chairs and umbrellas every day. Our location was perfect and literally less than 6 feet from the water. It was 30 the first day and 20 each day after. We paid in advance. For only 90 we had the best spot on the beach. Sun for me and shade for my husband. Thanks Jesus for everything. We also recommend using ABC Tours and doing the jeep tour. It was so much fun. Our tour guide Joelle was very entertaining and made the trip for us. We will absolutely return to the island. The Hyatt was a perfect location and felt like we were at a top notch resort. We will be returning.

Room Tip: We recommend floor 8. Quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hyattregencyaruba, Manager at Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

We have received the wonderful comments you entered on TripAdvisor and want to thank you personally for sharing your positive experience with us. It is very gratifying to receive such positive feedback and your comments have encouraged us to continue looking for ways to exceed our guests’ expectations. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Hyatt Regency Aruba

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We just returned from 7 nights at the Hyatt. For the most part, it was an excellent experience. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are clean and not too small, and the food was very good. Breakfast and dinner at Ruinas del Mar was delicious and lunch at the Palms, after a few hours on the beach, was a nice respite from the heat. However, dinner at Mexicado was horrendous. They need to rethink that restaurant. From the food to the service it was unpleasant. And just now looking at my bill, it was our most expensive meal at the hotel!

The beach is very pretty and even when it was crowded it wasn't too bad. The same with the pool area. The beach staff is accommodating with towels and floats.

The hotel staff was ok. Some friendly some not so friendly. I actually don't like when hotel staff goes out of their way to be overtly friendly because then I think it comes off as fake. Steffi at the front desk was the nicest and most sincere. We actually had to move our room because it was close to a very noisy ice machine and she worked hard to find us a different, fabulous one.

My best advice to anyone going is to spend the extra money and rent a palapa on the beach. You're already spending a lot, go for that last $200. The line for beach and pool umbrellas started at 6am and snaked around the hotel. It was way too much stress for a vacation. At least with our beach cover rented we weren't too disappointed if we didn't score one by the pool, too.

I would recommend the Hyatt to anyone thinking about staying in Aruba. Just from walking around the other properties I could see it was definitely the nicest. Oh, and skip the pina coladas and go for the Aruba Aribe!

Room Tip: Avoid the "09" rooms near the ice machines and elevators.
Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

In July I spent 6 nights at the Hyatt Regency Aruba with my husband and two daughters. It was our first trip to the island and everything surpassed our expectations. The resort is absolutely gorgeous, inside and out. Our guestroom was superb with a large bathroom and comfortable queen-size beds as well as a picture-perfect view of the pool, pond, beach and sea. The resort has a prime spot on Palm Beach; it's not only beautiful but there's a lot to see and do. The staff is accommodating and genuinely friendly - must be why the many repeat guests all know them by name! Don't sweat the huts on the beach - there are plenty of shady areas to relax on the sand or by the pool. Get a refreshing drink and tasty lunch by the pool bar and RELAX. You have found paradise!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hyattregencyaruba, Manager at Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the great post to TripAdvisor and want to thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with the world. We are pleased to know that we exceeded your expectations and look forward to serving you again soon. Thanks again!

The Hyatt Aruba Team
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt from August 5th through the 12th. It was the most wonderful vacation we have ever taken! The Hyatt is beautiful and spotlessly clean. We stayed on the 4th floor with a partial ocean/island view room. We had a great view of the ocean and beach with a step out balcony. Our room had 2 queen beds that were very comfortable. However when we return next time I will try to get a pool/ocean view now that I know the layout of the resort. The beach is truly beautiful. The water is calm yet when boats pass by they create small swells that my kids really enjoyed. We had a palapa on the beach which was a godsend. Audey was extremely helpful when I was renting it. The people who work in the towel hut are extremely nice and remembered my name by the second day. We also borrowed a yellow raft which was lots of fun to float on and very relaxing.

The pool is awesome! There is a 2 story waterslide which was tons of fun! We ate lunch at the pool swim up bar 3 times during our stay. The food was great (burgers,wraps,chicken fingers, salad ect...). The staff at the pool bar is terrific. In fact the staff all over this hotel was terrific. The breakfast buffet at Ruinas del Mar was delicious. My children 10 and 7 enjoyed the kids club tool

Coral the Concierge is wonderful! She gave us great recommendations on where to eat and which tours to take with my family. Coral is terrific at her job and made our stay at the Hyatt even better!

We had an excellent vacation and cannot wait to return to the Hyatt.

Dear Guest,

Greetings from the Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort, Spa & Casino. Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay and for taking your time to leave a review. I echo your sentiments with regard to our exceptional service team. We are sincerely grateful that you selected Hyatt Aruba, and look forward to welcoming you back home in the near future.

Ones again thank you for your feedback and on behalf of our associates, masha danki!

Hyatt Management
Virginia Beach, Va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed 6 nights at the Hyatt. I will start off by saying what has already been previously mentioned about this property - it has very small balconies (for a majority of the rooms) and if you want to reserve a palapa (hut) you do have to get up very early and stand in a line. Other than those two minor issues the Hyatt is fantastic. If you want to stay in the high rise area while visiting Aruba the location of the Hyatt is perfect, approximately in center of palm beach district. There are plenty of shopping and restaurant choices all within walking distance. The property itself is gorgeous, starting with the open air lobby. The rooms are standard size, nicely decorated with very comfortable beds. The swimming pool and beach are clean and well maintained. We ate dinner at the Ruinas Del Mar and had Sunday breakfast at the Palms, both meals were excellent as was the service. The hotel staff, especially housekeeping, were very professional and eager to please. We spent several hours playing in the casino and had pretty good luck with the slot machines. During our visit we explored the other motels along Palm and Eagle beaches and concluded that the Hyatt was probably the best choice while visiting the island... with the possible exception of the Marriott Ocean Club. We haven't checked prices for the Marriott but unless we can get a better deal, we will return to the Hyatt when we come back to Aruba.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Caracas, Venezuela
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The GOOD:
The Hyatt in Aruba is a beautiful hotel. Everything is clean and well maintained. The staff and everybody greats you with a smile. The restaurants in the hotel are as good as the ones you could find outside in the city. The breakfast is great with enough offering for all tastes.
The rooms are clean and comfortable. Air conditioning is good and totally silent. Beds have good pillow top mattresses. Soap, shampoo, conditioner and body wash are of good quality. Towels are in sufficient quantities as to shower several times a day if that’s your choice.
The NOT SO GOOD:
The shower head has a nice rain like stream and works OK, but with quite low pressure to my taste. I guess it is supposed to save water, but in my point of view it only helps to spend more of it as you will need much more time under it to rub away all the sun screen lotion you are wearing.
The Gym for such a great hotel is really small. It has several treadmills and elliptical machines, but only a small space for weight training, practically no space for abs training and one shoulder, one chest, one back, one leg and one abs machine and in a corner a multiple weight training pulley machine. For such a beautiful hotel, it seems like suddenly they remembered that they should put a gym in and found a storage room down in the second floor basement and threw in the equipment there. Luckily there is a window wall so you don’t fill you are trapped in a submarine.
The machines are well maintained.
The pool is beautiful but quite small and after lunch time you tend to fill that you are in a consommé. I guess the water should be cooled and filtered a bit more. But the most important thing of the pool is the slide which kids love and can’t have enough of it, and I guess they don’t care much about water temperature and purity. In any case, every time I exited the pool I had the feeling that I had to run and shower off as if I was exiting from the sea.
The BAD:
If you go to Aruba, you are going to get all the sun you will need, and then some. So probably the most important thing you will need after your sun screen lotion, hat, glasses, etc. is a shadow!.
So the beach front of the hotel offers several island style bungalows that will provide with the much needed shadow. The catch is in the fact that there are not enough of them so the Hyatt has developed a beautiful scheme to “help you out” and obtain such a scarce commodity. When you are at check in the very smiley and friendly host behind the reception desk will explain to you that you could choose between two options. A 35$ daily fee for a reservation of one of those needed spots, but….that you have to do even before you arrive to Aruba because of course they were already taken for the whole season, so the second option left is to make a line at 6 am. in the sea front where they will give you a shadow in a first come first serve base (of course of the ones that are left without reservation), free of charge, except for the tip to the guy who sets up the towels on the chairs. This beautiful shadows are apart from the reserved ones, but hey, a shadow is a shadow is a shadow!.
So next morning at 6 am. I’m down there to find out I’m already number 20 in line. You could see the face of the guy who was number 1, it was like if he has just won the jackpot in the casino. And at 6:30 am. sharp the distribution center opens and in comes the drug lord, or should I say the drug lady. This is the most powerful lady in the whole island, I don’t think the governor has the power of this woman, she is the MASTER OF THE SHADOWS. And you better give her a nice smile and a nice good morning or else you won’t get a good shadow spot!. So she shows you in the map what’s left and you have to choose fast because she is a busy woman.
I did this for 3 consecutive days (that was the length of my vacation in Aruba) and definitely it must be that we all have some self punishment masochistic need as to take a vacation from waking up early every morning to go to work, and wake up even earlier to get a little shadow spot. There is nothing like making a line in your vacation really early without having breakfast to see a grumpy old woman giving you the benefit of a shadow!. And then you have the concession to go back to bed or in my case I went to the gym to start your day but you have to be in your shadow spot before 11 am or else it will be taken from you and you will get striped of all legal rights whatsoever.
Now, if you also want an umbrella in the pool, this nice lady will tell you with a smile that shows her all mighty power that after you chose a shadow spot in the beach or in the pool, you go to the end of the line and then you have the chance to get one in the other area.
Interestingly enough, when one commodity is so scarce, corruption tends to appear, so although I can’t say this as a fact, it was funny to see that the best bungalows at the border of the sea, and not the pre paid ones (the pre paid ones are marked with a blue line), where always in possession of the same group of people who were NOT in the 6 am line. Maybe they had a telepathic connection with the all mighty lady. Maybe they had a not so telepathic connection with the guys who puts the towels on the chairs through some extraordinary nice tip that will work out the magic for the coming days. Maybe it is the way things go in Aruba. Maybe you should just stay in your nice room and don’t bother until after 11 am and see if you get lucky like in the casino the night before and find a non claimed property. Maybe….maybe next time I go to Aruba, before checking in I will run down the beach, get hold of one of these guys that put the towels over the chairs and give him a 100$ bill so instead of waking up at 6 am to be mistreated I can just walk directly to the best spot in the sea front and have the filling that I’m in a beautiful vacation. And if that’s what it takes, just consider that if you are going to spend more than 500$ a day in that hotel between room, beverages , etc. there is no difference in spending 100$ more for some “protection”, or should I say PROTECSIA.

Dear Guest,

Greetings from the Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort Spa and Casino. Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay and for taking your time to leave a review.

Most certainly the conditions you noted are not typical of our standards and you can be assured that we have not only addressed these issues, but have taken corrective action to prevent similar occurrences in the future.

To that end, for future reference service charge is a standard at every resort on the island. We hope you will once again return to our resort, allowing us another opportunity to serve you in the manner you have come to expect from a Hyatt hotel.

Thank you for your feedback and sincerely hope you will visit with us again in the near future.

Hyatt Management
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We just returned from 12 days at the Hyatt Regency. The location on Palm Beach is perfect. The beach itself is outstanding and across the street are restaurants and hotels galore. Oranjestad stores close at 6pm but Palm Beach stores stay open until 10pm. While the location can't be beat, the hotel itself could use some work - specifically, the pool area. Aruba is beautiful but you can see all the sights in one day. The rest of the time is spent by the pool and beach. The Hyatt expects guests to get up for the 6:30am towel hut opening to reserve chairs/umbrellas. But if you want a chair/umbrella within sight of the pool, you need to get on line by 5am. Don't worry, there will probably be at least 20 guests in front of you to keep you company! Management finally stopped the booking of chairs at both the pool and beach because there just aren't enough chairs to go around. The pool area needs to be expanded! The grounds are beautiful and the iguanas everywhere add to the atmosphere. The staff is friendly and helpful. Janet, one of the bartenders, was very accommodating to me daughter.

Room Tip: Don't stay out late at night if you want a chair by the pool since you'll need to rise by 5a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino? Share your experiences!