“Wonderful Vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Wonderful Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We just returned from our first trip to Aruba. I was a little apprehensive when it came to picking a hotel, but I'm glad we picked the Hyatt. Our room (Ocean/Pool View King) was very nice. We had plenty of room and really enjoyed the rain shower in the bathroom. The balconette (not a full balcony) was nice and we were able to stand out there and watch the sunset.

The only problem we had with our room was the shower leaked one night and it was very loud. We called down to the front desk and were told that "the engineer would be up within the hour." We waited two hours before falling asleep, but no one ever came. My husband ended up rigging it so that we could get some sleep.

The grounds were very nice. Everything appeared to be well-maintained. The pool and beach were enjoyable as well. Unfortunately our beach hut was near a group of smokers. That was very annoying, but nothing against the hotel...maybe they could keep all smokers together. I'm sure that's probably not possible, but it was very bothersome at times. The beach huts are available to reserve. I suggest doing that ahead of time by contacting the concierge before your arrival. The price is a little high at $35/day. I understand this isn't an all-inclusive. I don't expect them to be free, but they could probably lower that price a bit.

I had a problem with there being no free internet access. Wi-fi access came at a price as did using the internet in the business center. There it was 50 cents/minute with a $7.50 minimum. You have to swipe your debit/credit card before you can log on. You can't even charge it to your room. I would think that a hotel like they Hyatt could offer free internet access.

Let me be clear, I knew full well about the beach hut rental price and the wi-fi situation before I arrived. It didn't take me by surprise. I'm just saying that they need to do something about it.

We visited the casino a couple of times and enjoyed it, but my husband had to go to the Occidental to get in on a Texas Hold 'Em game. There wasn't much of that going on at the Hyatt's casino.

There are tons of restaurants up and down the high rise area. I suggest getting out and enjoying them as the food at the Hyatt is pricey. Thankfully, our breakfast buffet was included in our package. Otherwise it would've been $51/day for two adults just for breakfast. Lunch on the beach with a hamburger/fries, chicken wrap/tortilla chips, two waters and two virgin daiquiris was $60 with tip. One day we went to the pizza place across the street and ate for 1/3 of that amount. I would suggest mixing it up. Eat on property when you're short on time or too tired to go out. Any other time, try some of the other restaurants.

There is a water sports vendor right there on the beach. We were able to get our jet skis and tubing done without having to look too far. That was very nice.

We went into several of the hotels up and down the high rise area, and I didn't find one that made me second guess my choice to stay at the Hyatt. It was the best vacation we've ever had, and if we go back to Aruba, we will probably stay there again (unless something better comes along).

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool are noisy at night as you can hear the signing, parties and entertaining going o...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tracey N, Sales at Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Greetings from the Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort Casino and Spa. Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay and for taking your time to leave a review. We are sincerely grateful that you selected Hyatt Aruba, and look forward to welcoming you back home in the near future.

Ones again thank you for your feedback and on behalf of our associates, masha danki!

Hyatt Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

first the property is nice but so are others; staff was generally nice but so where others; then you get to the silly stuff: no pens in room for entire stay until i mentioned front desk who offered me a pen while chekcing out! ; no broshures of stuff on the island --next door had broshures interactive screen to select stuff etc; then hyatt has daily activities--do you think anyone would give you a copy of what is happening---nope; restaurant service: water girl was too great didn't finish swallowing a drink and she was refilling water--otherwise everything else was at maniana (?) pace no rushng and this was just for a cobb salad served in a bowl you coould wash your feet in but hardly find the salad; forget happy hour there---cheap but no booze in the drinks; casino was better than others but still lost--not surprised-----overall for 50th anniversary we were underwhelmed for a hyatt and the price

Room Tip: decent view room 641
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hyattregencyaruba, Manager at Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking time to post your feedback about your recent stay at the resort. I will share a copy of your review with my management team so that we can have corrective actions for future guests. While we have always received positive feedback about our product and service, we take your comments seriously to help us improve for the future. We hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

Resort Manager.
St. Augustine, FL32080
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

It was a romantic trip planned a year in advance and it was for our Anniversary and Birthday. We arrived on Thursday with early check in planned and confirmed. Not! So we went to the Casino to avoid the heavy humidity and the Bartender was extremely friendly and informative. I thought..."this is cool." Our room was beautiful on the 8th floor overlooking the pool. We ate at the Palms for their Mexican Buffet. Yum.
The next day, the fecal matter hit the fan,,,, 500 people from Columbia with children in tow from Herbal Life took over the Hotel. We could barely walk the corridors, the Palm Buffet breakfast which we paid for, was inundated with rude people who had a free ride and the night time in our room was a nightmare. Screaming children on both sides of us and forced to buy earplugs to go to sleep.
Instead of accommodating these rude people in the banquet room for meals, we were lost and
the pool during the day was incredibly disgusting. We were going to do the "romantic": dinner experience on the beach for our Anniversary, but the day before, we noticed hundreds of Herbal Lifers taking over the beach, so what romance??
Finally we complained with 5 other couples. The Manager didn't give a rat's tutu.

I will never go to another Hyatt property again. World traveler, Diamond Delta

Go Hilton - they could have warned us. But no, fill rooms.

To the GM,,,,,

Room Tip: go to the 4 Seasons in Curacao Aruba stinks
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay. I sincerely apologize that we did not provide the level of service you expected for anniversary and birthday. We did not foresee the impact the group would have on the resort. While we have always had success with both group and non group guests in the resort, we are evaluating our approach to ensure we do not have a repeat occurrence like this in the future. I realize that this does not make up for the less than satisfactory stay. I hope this experience will not mar you opinion of our resort and we will have the chance to regain your confidence.

Again, I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experience during your stay.

Resort Manager.
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

Gorgeous grounds, and well laid out hotel that is impeccably maintained on all counts. Superior service was encountered everywhere in the hotel. Great food and drinks, one of the best spots on palm beach! This Hyatt is worth every penny, if you experience what we did. And the hotel was full!

• Stayed November 2012
Hyattregencyaruba, Manager at Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the great post to TripAdvisor regarding our superior service here at our resort and want to thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with the world. We are pleased to know that we exceeded your expectations and look forward to serving you again soon.

We look forward to serve you ones again in the near future!

Resort Management
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

This is our third visit to Aruba in 8 years and we very much wanted to stay at the Hyatt Aruba on this visit. Upon our arrival, we were told that our room was not ready and that we should come back in an hour. We decided to have lunch at The Palms Restaurant, where we found it to be extremely crowded and the waitstaff overworked and overwhelmed. The food was so so but we noticed a huge crowd, all wearing similar clothing. When we went to finally check in, we inquired about this group and asked if there was a convention at the hotel. We were told yes and that the hotel was primarily booked for this convention. That was an understatement - these people were everywhere!!!!

In less than 24 hours of our arrival, we noticed more and more of this group, all with families and all loud and not concerned that there were other guests at the hotel besides them. No one on property was asking people to watch their kids and we noticed other non-convention participants becoming as frustrated as we were.

I approached a manager and asked if the convention would be here all week and she expressed her frustration and offered to change our room, however, the room was not the issue, the issue was that the hotel was being overrun by this group. We asked if there would be a penalty if we checked out early and we were told no, so we did indeed check out after one night and rebooked at a nearby hotel. Other hotel guests seemed to be doing the same, while others simply complained to management and shared their dissatisfaction.

We have friends who LOVE this property but unfortunately, our experience was not a good one. Perhaps without a large convention taking place, the Hyatt would have served us well.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to offer feedback regarding your recent stay at the resort. I sincerely apologize that we did not live up to the expectations that you have come to expect from Hyatt. I understand your point about the group and apologize that you had to cut your stay short with us. I hope we will have the opportunity in the future to regain your confidence in our resort.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Resort Management.
NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

It is very beautiful property located in a wonderful place. We are in love with Aruba for last 12 years and usually we are staying in Bucuti hotel, but this time Bucuti was fuly booked and we decided to stay in Hyatt. We were very dissapointed because:
1 . Every morning you have to awake at 5.30 am in order to stay in line on the beach and at 6.30 am you will be able to get umbrella an chairs on the beach or at the swimming pool. At 6.45 am all of them are occupied for the whole day
2. The beach and swimming pool area are extrimly croweded not only by the guest of the HYATT but also by a lot of other people who are just comming to use this facilitty
3. Twice a day Red Sail sport is bringing groups of 10-15 people from outside for diving lessons in Hyatt swiimimg pool and these groups fully occupy the pool
4 The quality of food in the swimming pool area: smell of burning oil from the frying food all over the swimming pool area for the whole day from Balashi cafe, even in the" healthy bar" they are offering smoothies from frozen berries in syrup.
5. They are charging resort fee but you are not allowed to use the steam room in the health club , they are trying to charge extra $ 35 per person per use. In past they were offering sauna and steam room for free for Hyatt guests. No there is no sauna and for use of steam room you have to pay.
It looks like there is big problem with the management of this hotel , who is trying to make as much money as possible on outside people and do not provide any comfort for the guests of Hyatt hotel . I tried to adress the problems with umbrellers to the management while staying on the hotel ,but did not get any response.

'
It looks like there is big problem with the management of this hotel

#

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hyattregencyaruba, Manager at Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to offer feedback about your recent stay. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations on this trip. We are continuing to look for a permanent solution for the hut system on the beach. We continue to make improvements to the resort, such as the spa, with the guest in mind. We do not charge a resort fee. The resort charge is a component of the 23 percent tax that is charge on the room rate. I realize that this does not make up for the less than satisfactory stay. I hope you will give us another chances to regain your confidence. Again, thank you for taking the time to offer comments.

Resort Management.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We have stayed at the Hyatt 3 out of the last 5 years and have enjoyed its location, cleanliness, and wide beach. This year, however, some negatives stand out where they've previously been non-existent. A light fixture in our room was broken when we arrived. A small hole in the wall below the flat-panel tv was glaring. Machines in the "business center" were inoperative. Customer service -mostly in the restaurant - was spotty. With the Ritz opening next year, we'll be re-considering where stay on our next trip to Aruba.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino? Share your experiences!