“The Mill” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Mill Resort & Suites

You added The Mill Resort & Suites to your Saves list
The Mill Resort & Suites
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 330 | Aruba, Palm Beach, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Geneva, Switzerland
“The Mill”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Forgetting that we were on a Dutch island, I was looking for an old English Brick mill, not a windmill !!! Check in was a little difficult as people checking out had the preference, so we went down town and came back about four hours later when things had calmed down. As we were exchanging one of our Timeshare weeks we were given a renovated room, very clean and modern with small outside patio. The bathroom was also very modern with glass door shower which didn't keep the water from seeping out. The bathroom automatic light system was a little problem: the lights went on everytime some-one passed by ! The room was very quiet until the last night when a family came into an adjacent room and you could hear practically everything that was said. We didn't eat at the hotel, which is not on the beach front, so can't compare prices but one drink we ordered was quite expensive. There is a shuttle which takes you to the beach where you are met by an attentive attendant who spreads your towel (provided by the hotel) on your chair. The beach itself could have been cleaner, lots of cigarette butts and drinking straws thrown in the sand. Not very appetizing. The staff were friendly and smiling. Would probably return but not in the high season!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Check in at the Mill took about 10 minutes. We got to our room and it was clean and nice, but only one double bed. I called the front desk and about 5 minutes later they bring in a cot. I ask the man for another cot b/c there was four of us. He said he would get us one but really we should only have one. I thought that was odd.

The bathroom was nice however the toilet flushed horrible, you could not put paper in it at all. I never heard of this. I had to call the front desk to unclog it. The Hotel was full so there were no other rooms available. So for our stay, we had to walk down the hall and use the lobby bathroom for a “number 2.” Sorry to be graphic, but readers to be aware.

The pool area was nice, and they had a daily 2 for 1 special happy hour that took place from 5-7. The drinks were good, but the bar tenders were a bit slow. They did not try to hustle, but I never had to wait long which was fine. Day two I would tip $20 with my first drink, then a few bucks if I grabbed a drink or two more. Plus my kids would go up and get “ice ups” which were Philadelphia Water Ice and other drinks. Service sped up for us. LOL, You could always grab a place at the pool, no need to save a space, but some did anyway.

On Easter they had an Easter egg hunt and the hotel appeared to allow locals to participate. There had to be about 50 kids running all around. Only bad part was over the speaker they would announce what the kids needed to do in only Spanish, so we could not understand them. No big deal.
Most guests seemed to be non Americans; the Americans I did meet all had time shares, about 7 families in total. We were the only Americans who were not on the time share program. My guess is if you could pick, you would skip this place.

We did try the breakfast buffet one morning, which was just okay; the selection was about the same as the Divi AI, but not as good. We paid $52 for the four of us.

If this place is all you can afford, dont go, continue to save and pick a better resort.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel. If you must stay here, make sure you pay for a pool side room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Venice, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We booked three rooms through Travelocity for a one night stay before moving to our condo. I had requested a crib in one of the rooms. When I received the confirmation from Travelocity it did not note my request for the crib. They suggested I call the resort. I sent three emails directly to the resort which went unanswered. I than contacted the resort's US rep. She assured me she would follow through. I took it one step further and actually called the resort. The person I spoke with assured me crib would be in room. When we arrived, no crib and reservation person under the impression it was one room for three nights. showed them my confirmation. Still no crib. The matter was finally resolved after several hours of wasted time at the front desk. when I was shown our rooms I immediately asked them to change our room as floor was soaking wet and moisture literally running off the walls. Was told there were no other rooms. Got everyone else settled in their rooms and realized the bedding In our room was damp. Back to front desk, new person on duty. Made security go to our room to check it out. Security actually told front desk the room was inhabitable. Suddenly they found another room (it is now midnight). Noticed that the rooms on either side of the new room not occupied so obviously rooms available . Wait staff in restaurant very friendly, but breakfast buffet is overpriced. Pool looked nice but we did not use it. The rooms have a very strange layout. Basically three adjoining rooms to each block. Their Royal room has the strangest bath arrangement I have ever seen. Big jacuzzi tub in the middle of the room. Odd shower and toilet combo,need to step up into the shower stall. Not at all user friendly if one has mobility issues. Room has a very small balcony. The middle room is sort of a studio with no balconey but does have small kitchen. Third room just an ordinary hotel room with a regular bathroom.
The front desk person was all by herself, answering phone calls, questions from guests, and trying to check people in. We saw a number of staff just sitting around . Seems to me someone could have helped out at the desk. To be fair it should be noted that due to a storm in the northeast some of the guests were unable to leave which I am sure added to the confusion. We have been coming to Aruba for twenty years and have often booked a one night stay prior to moving to our condo. We have never seen a resort that appears to be this disorganized and unhelpful to guests.

Room Tip: If you do stay there insist on the regular hotel room which has more usable floor space, a normal ba...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We wanted to enjoy our trip without paying a ton of money and The Mill was a great choice. It's not the fanciest hotel on Aruba, by any means, but the room was large with a huge tub as well as a separate bathroom with shower. Also had a small refrigerator in it which was a big help, and it's own private patio. Our main goal wasn't to hang out in the room so it worked fine for us.

The hotel has a good size pool and a beach bar (which is where you go to get ice for your room - not super convenient but not a huge deal). The hotel is just behind the Westin and it's a very short walk to the beach or they will shuttle you over. Once at the amazing beach they will set up a lounge chair for you in an area used by Mill customers. And you can take your own cooler!

The people at the desk were friendly although when we checked in there was one gentleman there by himself and he was busy helping everyone that walked up, which made our check-in process longer than it should have been. We've had this happen at upscale hotels as well so not a deal-breaker but we were definitely ready to zip through the process and just get to our room! Later trips to the desk were a little easier and faster although I agree with another reviewer - the younger staff seems friendlier.

We would stay there again, definitely - and have heard that next time we should ask for a renovated room. Apparently they are in the process of renovating (not sure if they are still "in process") so some rooms are nicer. We stayed at a different hotel the second part of our trip and preferred The Mill. We are already planning another trip!

Room Tip: Apparently ask for a renovated room - we learned this the day we were checking out.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kralendijk, null, Netherlands Antilles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I booked a juniorroom with 2 doublebeds and balcony or terrace. But without being informed, we got a studio with no balcony or terrace and only one doublebed. When I complained about this, they told us we should be happy because it was an upgrade, since it was a renovated studio ?!! They couldn't give us another room, because the resort was fully booked.
I asked that they would refund us the difference in price. They offered us free breakfast or barbeque, which was far cheaper ofcourse. I refused, and finally the refunded us the pricedifference.
At the check out, the guy behind the reception told me we had to pay $45,=. I asked him why, but he couldn't explain. I paid for our stay upon arrival, and we hadn't used anything.
He called with somebody and told me that everything was okay and I didn't have to pay.
To my big surprise however, I discovered on my creditcardaccount, that they had charged me that very same day for $45,=!!! I called them, send them emails, but they didn't even bother to reply. Finally the creditcardcompany refunded me the money.

We would never stay here again. Also don't expect any complimentary shampoos or showergel here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Easton , Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

USED this hotel as a weigh station to get to our hotel check in on Saturday. IT was old & run down & pretty much A Cheap alternative to all other booked Hotels . Pretty run down. After taking a Shower my feet turned black as i went to bed. Although the people staying were very nice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Stockholm, Stockholms Län, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This hotel was a really great chocie. we travelled with the company Ving from Sweden directflight to Aruba. The transfer bus took us to a low rise hotel in the high rise hotel area and we liked it straight away. I don't know what anyone would have to complain about other than the middle age staff could be a little more helpful without making you feel like you are bothering them.. they do help you but I would recommend the younger staff:)

The room was great. nice, clean, comfortable medium hard bed and nice fluffy pillows and good cleaning service every day(which is well needed because of all the sand you manage to bring back from the beach haha!) Had a lot of american channels as well as dutch and spanish.

The best thing was the kitchenette. Since eating out is pretty expensive we decided to make lunch and some dinners ourselves to have some money left over for activities:) (atlantis submarine tours is a must!) we thought that the hotel breakfast buffet, even though they had a lot to choose from, was not worth 15 dollars.

less than 5 minute to walk to the beach(across the street and thru the high rise hotel westin) where chairs are provided free. both sun, shade and in between:)

pool was great. good size and with kids pool as well. friendly iguanas hanging out there all day long-really cool :)

you have to pay for wi-fi with cash since it's some outside service so the hotel does not take card for your log in code..decided to use the free wi-fi provided at salt&pepper restaurant 5 minutes from the hotel. it's a food court with several restaurants and the wi-fi works at most of them;) cool thing about salt&pepper is that if you bring them a set of salt&pepper shakers that they do not already have you get a glass of free sangria;)

Room Tip: would recommend poolside since it's more quiet. we got one towards the parking with a car alarm...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mill Resort & Suites? Share your experiences!