“The good and the bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Mill Resort & Suites

Save Saved
You added The Mill Resort & Suites to your Saves list
The Mill Resort & Suites
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 330 | Aruba, Palm Beach, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Ranked #22 of 23 hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Fergus, Ontario
“The good and the bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Having stayed in Aruba 4 times previously, we were aware of The Mill's location, and as we love Aruba, and this was the best deal we could get, we were willing to put up with non water front location. I only had one request, a balcony. We enjoy our balcony for morning coffee and evenings enjoying a nice glass of wine after a day at the beach, however upon check in we were given a horrible ground floor room facing a busy street. If we had left it at that, my review of this resort would have been horrible! This room felt very unsafe, even the exterior was unlit, like an invitation to a robbery. However, we promptly took our suitcases back to the front desk and insisted on a balcony room. We weren't leaving the desk area until we were given something else. Suddenly, a balcony room became available after all! Instead of the run of the mill room (pun intended) we were given a royal suite! Lovely balcony overlooking the pool and bar area. This room had a whirlpool tub in the bedroom, and a separate large walkin shower room with toilet. Double sinks, small refrigerator and coffee maker (although you need to supply your own coffee or tea etc.) toiletries are minimal, and no wash clothes to be seen. (I almost thought I was back in Cuba!) When requesting washcloths at front desk, they were delivered to our room, but each day I had to do so again. The king sized bed was quite comfortable, and the room was kept clean. The bar played fairly quiet Abba type music, which we enjoyed off our balcony, as we ordered their delicious pizza for room service a couple of nights. We did their BBQ supper one night also, and dined outside poolside, and had a very lovely Columbian waitress. They did provide some live music as well that evening. We also sampled their lunch menu one day and they did have happy hour every day or precisely one hour and the bar tender wasn't too motivated, more interested in what was in the tv then serving customers. The pools were relaxing, with plenty of loungers and some shade, although some were reserved with towels, and were never even used. Lizards lounged around the pool by the waterfalls, as well as walking back and forth to the outdoor shower to drink, quite amusing to watch and completely harmless. The access to the beach area was walkable through the Westin, or past the tennis courts, you could o to the Holiday Inn beach, since their towels were practically identical to The Mills, and they have wonderful sunsets and happy hours there, unlike The Mills beach area were they kick you off their loungers to clean up before sunset! The Mills beach area is quite nice though with a gradual, very sandy walk into the water, unlike the drop off at The Holiday Inn. Their is also a platform out in the water that you can swim out o and dive off or sun on. Native Aruban children share their swimming lessons on the same beach as The Mill. The beach attendant is very friendly and happy to set your chairs up in sun or shade and is an expert and putting your towels on them so they won't be blown away by the ever present trade winds. Over all, you get what you pay for, but I will say, our second room was a vast improvement upon what we were first given, and we love Aruba!

Room Tip: Second floor balcony overlooking pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

429 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Paramus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This was my first time staying in ARUBA and i was here for only 3 nights so i did not need a high rise hotel. I wasn't expecting much, and to my surprise the Mill Resort delivered a wonderful experience. My room was spotless at all times, very quiet and close to everything. I really enjoyed their buffet breakfeast, a great way to start off the day, the wait staff was friendly but did not speak much english. The walk to the beach was less than 5 minutes. the only complaint i'd have is that the people at the front desk seemed confused, and unorganised. I loved the pool, but they had a strange and strict towel policy. Over all i got much value for my money and would be happy to refer this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The mills was a great place, we stayed a week. The resort is within walking distance to the beach, sores and a bus that can take you much further into town. The pools were good, lounge chairs adequate and the staff were very friendly. I don't have one single complaint. Wish it were an all inclusive!

Oh they have this crazy list of all the prices in your room in case you take something your well informed of the cost added to your bill. If you get a suite room with a kitchen make sure you once over the items and let them know what's not accounted for.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

We decided to stay at the mill to see the high rise area in Aruba. Lets just say it was the worst experience we ever had.
The staff there needs a reminder of customer service. It was advertised as the friendliest resort in Aruba, however it was the meanest resort in Aruba. They give you a towel and your expected to hold onto it for your stay, despite they fact that they staff the towel stand???
Lets talk about the rooms. Not only is the room completely lacking and sort of comfortable feeling; I really appreciated sleeping on a futon! I have never slept on a more uncomfortable bed in my life! Beds nowadays use box springs as well! They post signs stating how expensive water is in Aruba and not to abuse it. Where they need to write, our plumbing is terrible! The walls are paper thin, so expect not to have a restful stay. The best is their "mote." Besides the smell of dead fish, attracting Mosquitos is not a good idea.
They tag you with a bright yellow wrist band to inform everyone that your staying there. They make you walk through the Westin to get to their beach. That was the biggest reminder that you made a wrong decision. The Westin was decorated nicely and was friendly, not the mill.
Just do yourself a favor and avoid this hotel at all costs!

• Stayed January 2013
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I was anxious to stay at the Mill Resort after reading some of the reviews regarding location and age of the resort. First, the Mill Resort is located directly across the road from the beach - a few minutes walk. I was quite amazed people used a shuttle to take you right across the road!?!! Second, we stayed on the first floor, back side of the resort near the tennis courts. Few was lousy but it was a newly renovated room with a full kitchenette. We made breakfast, made a daily beach picnic lunch and a number of times cooked dinner here too! Perfect! Yes...the walls are paper thin but the drone of our room's air conditioner and bathroom fan kept the noise at bay. The room was super clean and cleaned to a sparkle every day! I suggest you ask for a suite and not their standard rooms - they looked terrible. BTW...you don't have to wear those silly yellow bracelets. Just keep them handy for getting a chair at the beach. That's all you need them for. I would definitely come back here again.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool area are quieter!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Lethbridge, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We just got back from spending our Xmas holidays (incl Xmas Day) at The Mill. Seriously, our stay was regrettable. There was no interest or courtesy shown at all right from the get go. I should have realised when trying to confirm our stay prior to leaving on holiday that this wasnt good. It took days to "get through" and when I did because of the time change (I was calling from Canada) I was reminded in no uncertain terms to call only during specified times. Reservations work from 10 t0 2...I called just after.
Once we arrived our stay deteriorated from there. There are a lot of specifics that I could outline however it really wouldn't do much. Individually, there were a few staff members who were receptive to us so we thak them for making our stay tolerable.They are a small hotel trying their best I'm sure however if you want comfort, some peace and quiet or just some friendly contact The Mill is not for you.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We have been coming to the Mill for 10 years. We skipped last year and was welcomed this year to remodeled rooms that were a pleasure to stay in. No more rock hard beds, leaking a/c vents and broken doors. My only issue is that the check in process is still too long. Looking forward to another stay this year

Stayed January 2013

Been to The Mill Resort & Suites? Share your experiences!