“Greatest vacation...can't wait to go back” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
Warm Up in Aruba
A TripAdvisor Member
“Greatest vacation...can't wait to go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2005

As soon as you walk into the Marriott you feel like you are in paradiise. The service was incredible, the pool area was amazing and the beach was beautiful. I can not say enough about this resort. I went last year and I am going back again this year to the same resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (995)
Hillsdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2005

I used miles and still received very good service. I only say very good because three days into our trip they called me in my room and said that I would have to pay for my room and that I had no points in my account. It was a computer error, but I had brought all my paper work showing my points and the email confirming they receiving my points.

The hotel was beautiful! The beach is AMAZING! They have rafts for rent, of course and a beach bar that has daily specials. You can walk to three terrific restuarants atleast. There is one that is on a dock literally over the water! I went three times. It is that good. Try the whole cooked fresh fish.

The view from the room was to die for, but I must admit, at the airport I heard people that had terrible rooms due to construction so always ask.

THe casino was small but enough for me...great bands at night at the casino. Enjoy...
Another BEWARE is George's mopeds. Long story, but we had to call the police. They double billed us on my card...it was a scam which they had pulled on other people too.

Saint Albans, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2005

There are numerous reasons to recommend this property. The beach is the best one of the palm beach hotels, as the others have been mostly washed away. The staff was very friendly (as are all the Arubans we met). I really enjoyed the casino where I could spend 20 bucks and gamble for hours on penny machines while getting free beer and margaritas and leave with my 20 bucks intact. The rooms, and especially the beds were very comfortable. I had a dispute with dePalm tours who basically sent me on the wrong tour and refused to compensate me in anyway. The customer service people at the hotel were very apologetic, and took care of the problem.
I don't think the owners have invested in this hotel lately, as much of it is rundown. The pads on the beach chairs were disintegrating, the bathroom lobby was no better than a gas station facility, and things broke down in the room. First my faucet wouldn't stop running, then I had no hot water for a day. It's a shame, because this would be an excellent property if they invested just a bit more on upkeep. The grounds aren't particularly nice, and the need to pay for palapas or wait in a long line to reserve a free one was scandalous. The pool water was too cold to swim in, and the restaurant offerings were limited. The spa was expensive, so I went to the intermezzo spa at the holiday inn right down the beach and got a great massage and facial for a good deal. We ate at Tuscany's and although expensive, it was good food, and big portions, so we shared an appetizer and entree. Basically the experience here was overall very relaxing and stress-free if you ignored the small foibles.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2005

This was one of the best vacations we have ever had! The hotel was beautiful and the staff very friendly. We were treated like gold. Can't wait to go back!

Billings, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2005

Four friends spent 7 nights at the Marriott Aruba Resort celebrating a 5oth birthday from 1/22-1/29. We booked a package of air/hotel on American Airlines out of Miami. The hotel is beautifully appointed with a large lobby and spacious rooms exactly as pictured on the websites. The help was friendly, altho they did seem to have several different answers for some of our questions, but it never was a problem. The beach was clean and you paid to rent the huts close to the water, but the ones further back were no charge. We never used a hut as there were plenty of chairs and shade from the palm trees. We took a small cooler and bought our own drinks at the grocery store as drinks as welll as food are very expensive compared to other islands we have visited. In fact, all food was pricey no matter where we went. A lunch at Champions, the sports bar, with 4 fish burgers, and 2 drinks each was $100. We ate at Simply Fish at the Marriott and at Le Dome for the birthday dinner and both were excellent. Most meals seemed to average about $55 pp with a starter, main course and shared bottle of wine. We rented a car after we arrived for 2 days from a local company that offered a hotel pick-up. It was much less than thru the hotel. We loved Aruba, lots of sun and sand and very friendly people.

• Stayed January 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2005

We just got back from a week at the Marriott, and had a wonderful time overall. The weather was excellent all week, with maybe 30 minutes of rain, and the few partially cloudy days were a welcome relief from the consistently hot sun. I had read alot of the previous reviews, and most were pretty accurate. The good: rooms were fairly standard, but the bathrooms were large, and the refridgerator was midsize and very convienient. We didnt notice any bugs per se, but were on the 6th floor up. Had no problem sitting on the balcony and watching the sunset every night. Staff was friendly and helpful. The toilet was running and we called for service. Someone was there in 30 minutes, and the supervisor called an hour later to follow up. This was Sunday the 23rd, with lots of cancelled east coast flights, and the place was a zoo as they were trying to accomodate the holdovers. They were transferring alot of people from the timeshares next door to the hotel because of the flight problems. The pool and garden area was nice, but we didnt spend any time there. The lobby deli was nice to have, with coffee, ice cream, and a number of fresh pastries everyday. The gift shop was well appointed, with lots of pop, water, chips, beer, etc. Probably one of the best weve every seen in a hotel. We ate at the buffet twice, ok but nothing fantastic. Room service was good, and service was timely. Had a great dinner at Simply Fish on the beach. Sat 10 feet from the water by candlelight. Limited menu, but what they had was very good, and you cant beat the location. Suggest you go around 830 when the first wave clears out. We also ate at the TexasdeBrazil which was very good. Great salad bar, and the meats were as good as advertised. The Bad: Your not within walking easy distance to anywhere. We rented a car for 5 days. The bus service seemed to run on time however. Our only real problem was with the beach. As others have written, its crowded, the palapas are restricted and close together. Youre pretty much sitting right next to some group. Same with the pool area. The chairs there are right next to another. Stick your arm out, and youll be in someones face. The beach is a cordoned off section surrounded by boat/waverunner/tubing rentals. Theres no wave action except from the boats if at all. The water wasnt very clear, but at least we didnt smell gas or oil like others have commented on. It was tolerable I guess, but way to crowded, at least during the days. Yea, the drinks were $8 until happy hour, when a few went to 6. They do provide free water next to the beach bar. ARASHI Beach. About 2 miles up the road at the bottom Calif lighthouse is a paved parking lot. You cant miss it, just follow the lighthouse signs. It doesnt look like much. Theres a long stretch of beach, 5 huts, and 4 or 5 palapas. No facillities. This is Arashi beach. What you get is crystal clear water, plenty of room, some actual surf, and great snorkeling. The pelicans were actually fishing there. Youll see some rock formations to your right, just in front of the first palapa. I could just float on the water over them, and saw thousands of fish. 20-30 different types. You wont even need flippers as the water is shallow, with sand bars between the rocks where you can stand. We spent our mornings there everyday. Id go back in the afternoon to snorkel again. If you want a real beach environment, check it out. We take rafts to lay on, collapsable coolers, and towels. We just leave all the stuff in the car except the coolers which we filled before we went. Theres a couple of other smaller beaches/snorkeling points as you drive up, but those have very little sand areas. I didnt have water shoes, and there very rocky to walk out of. It will be windy at Arashi, but that made the sun more bearable. After going there, I didnt want to go into the water at the hotel again. The local bus even runs from the hotels to this beach. 2 out of 5 days the surf made the snorkeling difficult, but it was well worth the effort. Well go back again, but wont stay at the Marriott. Ill find a cheaper place on the coast, and just snorkel everyday at Arashi. Final note, while things are expensive at the hotels, the local groceries arent much cheaper. $6 for a six pack of diet coke, 6.45 for cranberry juice. The gouda is cheap however. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2005

I wanted to comment about my trip on this site, as I benefited so much from the reviews I read before leaving. I wanted to mention that the "huts" have a new procedure now. As of Jan. 1st, they made a new ruling....you can reserve huts after 10AM for the next day....you have to be staying there at the time...no reserving before getting there. Then, as I said... after 10AM, you can reserve them for the next day with a 3 day maximum reserve. The 4th day, you have to do the "stand in line" for your free hut and then come back that day at 10AM or later and reserve for the next day.....or how many days you want; but again, a 3 day minimum. I really found it not to be bad at all. I reserved a hut for 3 days as soon as we got there. The 4th day standing in line.....we got there about 7:25 and there were only 3 or 4 people ahead and got the free hut that day. Course, this was the week right after the holidays and I think was not as busy. Probably going during a higher volume of travel would be more of a problem with those huts.
I agreed with much of what was written on the posts. The resort was wonderful.....food excellent and welcoming staff superb. I also have to agree with the post that complained about the odor in that little section that's between the place where you get the towels and on up the walk to the hotel. I found it really offensive and would walk all the way around the other way not to have to smell it. It runs in my mind that I had that same situation when I went there 2yrs. ago. I also agree with the posts concerning those bugs. They were really bad everywhere except the beach. The boy that set up the chairs and towels, said it was because the wind off the water keeps them away. But it was really bad elsewhere. Eating outside for breakfast at La Vista, left bug bites all over my legs. Ate inside after that. And you just couldn't enjoy the balcony in the eve. Again....bug bites. They would produce welts on your skin and itch horribly. They should do some serious spraying. I didn't notice them other visits there....they said it was because they had such a rainy season this yr.; which they normally have never had. (Oct. was a particularly rainy month.) Fortunately, as I said, they weren't on the beach and that's where most of the days were spent... being big beach people.
I've stayed at the Marriott each time in Aruba, but I do think I'd like to try the Hyatt next time....simply because I've heard so many good things about it. (Course I'll have to forfeit earning Marriott points, but I think I still want to give it a try.)

• Stayed January 2005

Been to Marriott Aruba Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!