“Tradewinds offers many pluses” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
“Tradewinds offers many pluses”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We just returned from our 2nd trip to Aruba, staying both times on the Tradewinds floor. The balconies are one of the best reasons to stay at the Marriott, and if you choose to pay more to stay on the Tradewinds floor, you will have an awesome view from the 8th floor!

You not only get a full breakfast and lunch, but also plenty of delicious food enough for dinner, unless you desire to eat after 7:00 pm. You have access to bottled water, soda and beer all day long, and an open bar starting at 5:00 pm.

Marriott now gives everyone on the Tradewinds floor complimentary internet access as long as you remember to ask for a credit at the time you check out!

Only two negatives...the few palapas are secured by guests standing in line prior to 6:30 am, and the Adult Pool has a limited # of chairs which are secured by guests prior to 8:30 am. People reserve chairs by placing their towels on them, and then disappear for hours. The staff should monitor this and come up with a more equitable way for guests to be able to enjoy these amenities.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for the Tradewinds floor!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
ArubaMarriottResort, Manager at Marriott Aruba Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear AmyJane

I am so happy that you enjoyed our Tradewinds club, the team up there really does try and make it a special experience, and yes the views from the top floor are spectacular. You commented on the beach Palapa’s and you will be happy to know that we will be extending our beach area this year, with the addition of new umbrellas to add extra shade options. Thank you so much for taking the time to review our resort it is very much appreciated.

Matt Knights, Hotel Manager, Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (900)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our first time in Aruba and my husband and I absolutely fell in love with this island. Especially the north end where the high rise hotels are. The Marriott is right next to the Ritz and three other Marriott Properties, everything is incredibly clean, well maintained, the AC works (we had it ice cold in our rooms every night), the bed was the only hotel bed that did NOT make my back and hips hurt. I slept great. The staff was super friendly and helpful and we absolutely wanted for nothing.

Aruba is on the expensive side. That being said I think that keeps the riff raft out so we did not mind that at all just was not expecting that. So know before you go - bring extra money for food and drinks.

Also know to reserve the Palapa Huts for the beach early - we got lucky on one day and got one right beside the beach.

Ruth Chris is right there in the hotel lobby but sadly we ran out of time one day drinking too much at the pool bar to make it to dinner.

Now….. for the only bad part about this property…. the swim up pool bar. Now - I will say this resort has an adult pool. We found it quiet and relaxing and it did have a bar just not a swim up pool bar. The main pool that does have the swim up pool bar allows KIDS in it. Now if this isn't a big deal to you then this resort is 100% perfect. But we were totally annoyed at happy hour with kids splashing in our expensive drinks and wanting to jump off the bar into the pool - yep we witnessed that, throwing footballs while idiot parents were passed out somewhere else or not caring if their heathens were ruining the times of other guests. Not sure why anyone would want to bring their toddlers to paradise but we surely had to endure them at the bar.

Great spot - book it, you will love it. Just growl at the kids if they get on your nerves… we did. :)

Room Tip: We had an ocean view room - not ocean front which was perfectly fine - we had a great view.
Dear Jennifer

I am glad that you enjoyed your first trip to our island, it sounds like you had a blast. I am also happy to hear that you slept great, the Marriott bed is always a nice treat. I am sorry however that kids in the main pool were a bother and that this disrupted your enjoyment. I did see however that you mentioned the adult pool, which of course is a lovely adult only oasis. Thank you so much for taking the time to review our resort it is very much appreciated.

Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband and I traveled to Aruba for the first time to celebrate our 30th anniversary. My husband e-mailed Maria on the Tradewinds floor for suggestions to help make our trip special. Our room was decorated with balloons and chilled champagne was waiting on us when we arrived. My husband also asked Maria to double check our dinner reservations at Ruth's Chris and Simply Fish because he made them with Open Table. Maria took care of everything. She is an asset to Marriott and did an outstanding job. When we walked in the hotel, Michael greeted us and immediately took us to the Tradewinds floor. He gave us tons of information about the property and was so nice. The Tradewinds floor was fantastic. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were different every day and we enjoyed visiting with other guests in the lounge. Erica was wonderful to us every time we went to the lounge. The beach was beautiful. Robert was so friendly and always came to let everyone know when Happy Hour started and his beach service was excellent. Herminia is a joy on the beach and we loved interacting with her. She kept us stocked with cool waters and the icy towels were great. Our room was perfect and Gladys kept it so clean and stocked with plenty of towels and toiletries. From the time we walked in the door until we left, every single Marriott team member we met was polite and helpful. We loved this hotel and we are already planning our return trip next year. It was interesting to meet people who have traveled to this property for over twenty years and keep returning. We completely understand why. Outstanding property, outstanding service, outstanding people. I highly recommend the Tradewinds floor. Our trip was perfect and we will be back!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Debra

Happy 30th Anniversary! It sounds like you had a great time with us and that so many of our associates made it a special trip. I will be sure to personally thank them for you, and give them a copy of your lovely review, I know they will be thrilled. Thank you so much for taking the time to review our resort and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Rockville Centre, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Located right next door to the ocean club and surf club, this hotel has everything you need.
There is a casino, obviously, small but nice (no craps or poker). There is a sushi restaurant and ice cream/sweets place located right in the lobby, both stay open pretty late. The restaurant simply fish (on the sand) was really good. You can get massages outside, just off the beach, which I must say were excellent. Room was nice, we were able to check in early, which was a plus. There is a buffet restaurant on the property, pool bar and towel service all outside. Staff was attentive and pleasant. If I was traveling to aruba again and needed a place to stay for a night or two, I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear NYGD

I am glad that you enjoyed Simply Fish, it is one of my favorite spots on the island. You really can’t beat dining with your toes in the sand, priceless. Thank you so much for taking the time to review our resort and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Indian Land, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is our 2nd stay at the Marriott Stellaris. Again we elected to make our reservations on the 8th floor Tradewinds level. I can't say enough about the wonderful employees that help on the Tradewinds level. Glendy was so helpful in every way. She helped in several things that we needed extra help with. I must say that of all the ladies at the desk on the Tradewinds level she truly is the most personable. Thank you Glendy. We truly appreciated your attitude and helpful way. Erica who helps with all of the food service was always kind and smiling and willing to help with getting our ice for our cooler. Thanks Erica!

Thanks to Marielle Smeets Rooms Operation Manager. Marielle helped us with a simple issue that we greatly appreciated her help with. If while staying at the hotel you ever encounter a problem just speak to someone at the desk kindly. They will do whatever is possible to help you with any issue you may have. They are all wonderful.

The Tradewinds level is worth the money you pay extra for. We love the times the lounge is open and the food and drinks that are offered at those times and during the day when food is not offered. It really is very nice. All the employees that work to make the lounge special do a great job. Our room 871 was fabulous. Ocean front and on the front with a balcony. The rooms here are large and spacious. Thanks to the ladies who clean the rooms. They always do a great job and there is nothing nicer than a good turn down service and those Dove chocolates! I like the fact our room has a small fridge for drinks from the lounge and water for the early mornings. I love a cold bottle of water when I wake up and to have it right there is so nice. The robes in the room are nice to. I bought one for $75 to bring home. They are so comfy!

My husband and I rented a car this time around. I would recommend it for sure. I rented a car for 10 days through Orbitz.com and got a car through Thrifty Car Rental at the airport for $19 a day. $300.00 for the week. It is worth it. A cab fare to the airport is $25 plus tip. Each time you leave the hotel to go out for dinner or just to explore will cost you. The first time we went to Aruba we did not rent a car. We ended up taking several different types of excursions that were reasonable in price to explore the island BUT it is better to have your own car and explore on your own. They drive on the same side of the road as we do here in the US so it is really easy to get around. The street signs are scarce but since the island is so small, 19 miles long and 6 miles wide, it is easy to find your way around with any of the maps you can get out of any of the free magazines. There is free parking at the Marriott for guests and if you stay on the Tradewinds floor there are 5 spaces reserved for those first come first serve who have rented a car. The cars are small and easy to scoot around the island in. Parking is not hard to find in the restaurant area at the high rises.

For those enjoying gambling I would not recommend gambling here. It IS NOT Las Vegas! Plan to only spend a small amount only just for a bit of fun. Winning big is not something you hear happens much. Locals do not gamble much as they are tight with their money which is a good thing. Smoking is allowed in the casino and for those of us who do not smoke it is horrible smelling in the lobby area near the casino. Gambling here was out for us. We only dropped $100 each visit playing roulette. The minimum is $10 which I feel is to high. Play in Vegas and have a much better time. Enjoy the beauty of the beach here.

The beach is just fabulous! The view like no other. If you stay in Aruba at a hotel most have the same issue with the Palapala's. It is customary to have the hotel guest report down at the beach stands and stand in line for the 7:00am opening of the stand to pick your Palapala. Don't fuss....it is what it is. You will meet nice people while waiting and chatting. It is a true pain in the fanny to get up at the crack of dawn to try and beat the early 5:00am people who get up to get down there 1-2 hours early to get one in front but all in all you will get one and they all turn out being just fine. Of course the front row is wonderful but if you want front row....get a float and hit the water! Everyone will complain a bit about the procedure but like I said...it is what it is.

Everyone at the beach is great. Hermina the beach lady who takes care of the Tradewinds folks is just wonderful. She has the personality of a happy carefree worker who really enjoys her job. She makes coming to the beach each morning fun. Phoebe is also a pleasant helper to. She is a bit more calm and brings a different flair to the beach when she is working. Both ladies are great and should be commended for their hard work.

The hotel is always kept neat and clean. The grounds are really nice and the pool and beach are just fabulous. The gift stores are great and always have a nice selection of goodies and souvenirs to take home. I purchased some beautiful jewelry from the Columbian Emeralds Store and the helpers there were just wonderful! Thanks ladies for all your help.

My husband is a Platinum Elite Member and a Lifetime Gold Member. We expect and appreciate the treatment we get here at this location. The only problem we had here was I had called at 2:20 one afternoon for a simple polish change on my toes. I was told to come on over and I would be take care of right then as the lady had an appointment at 4:00. I walked from the Tradewinds beach to the Ocean Club Spa which took maybe 10 minutes. When I arrived I was told the lady who was to do my polish change had a customer come in and want her hair braided. I would have to wait about 1/2 hour till she was done. I was not happy with this and just left. When I called the next day to speak to the spa manager to let her know what happen the lady who answered told me she would relay what happened and have the manager call me when she came in. I never received a call. This was not good customer service in any way and it was the ONLY problem I experienced here in 10 days. Enough said. I polished my own toes later with he $2.50 bottle of polish I purchased in the gift store. Again, this was not good customer service and not what any customer at any level should have had to deal with when told they have an appointment.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a great hotel. I would also recommend the Tradewinds level. If you want a good value for your money you can't go wrong here. The restaurants here at the Marriott are good but because we enjoy dining out at better quality places I would recommend checking TripAdvisor for great places to dine. I have listed several myself. We don't take our food lightly!

If you do stay here have them print a copy of your bill for you to go over the day before you leave and go over it. We found a few small discrepancies and thanks to Julissa at the front desk she handled each with grace and got the charges that were not suppose to be on the bill removed. Like I said in the beginning.... if you have any issue at this hotel let someone know. You should have someone helpful help you in most cases. The spa issue listed above I felt was not the norm for what we have experiences the 2 visits we have stayed here.

Thanks Marriott and all your employees here for a wonderful time! We are already planning our next trip to ONE HAPPY ISLAND!

Room Tip: Floor 8. Tradewinds level. Ocean front. 870-871 great rooms. If you can afford the Governors Suit...
Dear Candi

It sounds like you had a great time with us again, thank you so much for coming back. I will be sure to pass along your wonderful comments to our associates, they will be thrilled. I will also speak with the Spa at the Ocean Club as you should have received better service than you did, sorry about that. Again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Glendale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed here with our two sons and really enjoyed it. The rooms were great, the front desk staff were very kind with my children. There is a very nice restaurant on the beach and we enjoyed the swimming pools!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Ladywithbabies

I am happy to hear that you and your sons enjoyed your time with us; the warm ocean down here is perfect for family’s to swim in. Thank you so much for your lovely comments, and I hope that we get to host you all again soon.

Rosedale, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I must say upon check-in, my wife and I were greeted by the very friendly and professional and accommodating Ms. Beverly of the front desk. What a very pleasant desk personnel, she was very knowledgeable and shared information about the Hotel and events that were scheduled during our stay. I often spoke with her doing our stay. My wife and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary, we had the pleasure to have a private dinner on the beach. George was our server, what an excellent server. The food was great. I am looking forward in returning next year.

The only negative that I would share is the Casino is not a smoke free environment. The minute you walked in the lobby of the hotel there is a strong smoke odor.

Room Tip: The best room is the ocean view.
Dear MCEKC2014

Beverly and George will love seeing your review, and they certainly deserve your great comments. I am very happy that you enjoyed your 25th wedding anniversary with us, and hope that we get a chance to host you for your 26th next year.

Matt Knights, Hotel Manager, Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Marriott Aruba Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!