“Recommended.” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Lugano, Switzerland
“Recommended.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

I stayed a week in this resort with my family and I am overall quite satisfied of the whole accommodation.
It’s a good, solid hotel and very possibly the best in the area which is referred to as “high-rise hoteles”. The lobby is very well appointed and welcoming. Check-in was super fast. We had a room on the second floor, overlooking the pool but still with a partial ocean view. The room was large enough, with a very large bathroom. Over good, but it’s starting to look dated. As usual for Marriots, there was a bath tub with a shower curtain, which is just ok since I prefer showers, but this is a personal opinion. Enough storage room, including a walk-in closet which you access from the vanity area of the bathroom. Everything was spotless clean.
We were on B&B rate and breakfast was served at La Vista restaurant. It’s a standard Marriott buffet breakfast, overall very good and plenty of options. My only complaint relates to French toasts and pancakes not being warm enough. On Sunday, the buffet was absolutely excellent, with several additional yummi options. Service people were all excellent.
Beach and pool: I’ve seen others have already described the reservation process for beach palapas, so I’ll skip this part. I’ve to say I did not experienced it first hand since I have never stayed the full day at the hotel. I rented a car instead and went off for visiting the island’s other beaches every morning right after breakfast. After one or two beaches, I used to come back to the hotel in the mid afternoon for final relaxing (shower, air-conditioning, bars, ecc…) and at that time I honestly never had problems in finding an available beach palapa or chairs at the pool side. Overall, the pool and beach area are well maintained. One word about the beach, which is called Palm Beach: it’s a nice sandy beach spotted by palm trees, but there are too many beach palapas plus the usual lot of beach sport huts and piers offering all types of activities. This happens for every hotel and since hotels are one after the other, the whole beach is crowded and overall spoiled. Beware: it is still a great beach, I am just making a comparison to other beaches in Aruba, among which my favourite was by far Eagle beach, where the low-rise hotels are.
Having a car, I have not used the internal restaurants except for the pool bar. They looked good but expensive. There is a large area close by where you can find all sorts of restaurants and bar. That is where other hotels are, such as the Hyatt, Radisson, Riu, etc. The Marriott is may be a 15 minute walking distance from there (or a 6 dollar ride, if you take a taxi) but it’s indeed quieter.
Would I go back? Yes, but I'd consider the low rise area too.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
ArubaMarriottResort, Manager at Marriott Aruba Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear Alberto

Thank you for your review of our resort, we do appreciate the feedback. Matt, the Hotel Manager is away from the hotel today so he is not able to personally respond to your review as he usually does. Once he is back he will go through your kind comments with the team. Hopefully we will get to see you again soon.

The Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (931)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Aruba us a safe island even during hurricane season because is often out of the path of most hurricanes. This hotel is located on Palm Beach whis is the best on the island. The hotel has been at this location for a long time and continues to offer great service. Make sure you secure your "palapa" on the beach for three days at a time (for a fee but worth it). You can have a romantic dinner on the beach at Simply Fish. The food is excellent and the price fair. Try a reservation to catch the sunset. Within walking distance there are less expensive food choices. Overall, I think that Aruba and the Marriott offer a great Caribbean vacation.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear JulioRB

The Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino Team.
MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

I had a good time here and found most of the hotel experience to be fun. Our room was listed as "garden view" but it had a nice partial view of the ocean, as well as the pool.

Enjoyed the takeout food service in the lobby. We used this a lot for breakfast, small meals and snacks. The regular restaurant though was expensive with just average food.

Automatic doors open every time you enter the lobby from the pool areas and you get a refreshing blast of cold air.

Cons:
Annoying that they put a timeshare desk right in front of the elevators so you have to walk by the sales people all day long, every single day of your stay.

Very difficult getting a shaded area at the beach or the pools until late in the day. When you are on vacation you should not have to get up at 7:00 AM to stand in line and fight for an umbrella. The hotel blames this on regulations that limit how many palapas they can have on the beach, but some of the other hotels seem to have larger beach areas and less of a problem. And there is no excuse for the limited space and umbrellas at the pools. They simply don't have enough seating for the number of guests. Every morning at 7:00 I could look out to the pool from my balcony and see the selfish guests putting down their towels, then leaving for breakfast or whatever, not to return for the next few hours. But ultimately the problem is with the amount of seating the hotel designed for the number of guests they accommodate.

Room Tip: Avoid the center rooms which open onto open balcony hallways. The smoke from the casino drifts all...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
ArubaMarriottResort, Manager at Marriott Aruba Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear Trippingma

I am so happy that enjoyed our resort, you made some lovely comments thank for that. You also mentioned the beach palapa’s, and I have to say that it certainly is difficult for all of the major beach hotels to manage this area, all of Aruba’s beautiful beaches are public, and as such the number of palapa’s we have is not regulated by the hotel. We do feel that we offer a very fair approach to getting a palapa, which allows some to be given out in the morning for the next day, some in the afternoon and some at a small price. Of course the system is not perfect, and not everyone may get a palapa every day during peak season. Recognizing this we did add an additional pool recently, which has become very popular with our adult guests. You will also be pleased to know also that we are currently extending our beach so next time you stay with us we will have more shade options for you. Again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Let me begin by saying my return trip to Aruba was better than the first time! The staff and service was exceptional, from getting my morning beverage at the lobby breakfast bar, the morning crew was very friendly but Nora stood out, she always greeted us with a smile and remembered mine and my husband's name and always put our names on our drinks with a personal note on it, you know it was going to be a good day!
Our housekeeper on the 5th floor knew my schedule and always greeted me with a hello and a smile each morning, even when she was busy cleaning another room! The others that work the same floor would also stop to say hello.
And when we got tired from spending time at the beach we would go into the lobby bar.....Jayna, Alix and Aida were excellent, they would entertain us with stories and served us great drinks!
They treated us not just as customers but like family, always with a smile and welcoming us each time, even if we didn't stay for a drink.
The hotel is nice but it's the staff that is the soul of the Marriott in Aruba!

Dear Cynthia

Thanks for writing another wonderful review about our resort. I am so glad that our team made it a special vacation again for your both. You mentioned the smiles, and I have to agree they are all so friendly. You mentioned quite a few of our associates, and I will make a point of personally handing them a copy of your review and thanking them, I know they will love reading your lovely comments. Again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Carmel, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Just returned from my first trip to Aruba, stayed at the Sterllaris and had my concerns when booking as advised by others trouble getting beach palapas. Although getting them was a bit diffficult we were able to book multiple days for a fee, but out of $50 only $10 is for the palapas, the other $40 is for food/drink so if going to relax/spend the day by the beach very reasonable as you will use up the food and drink credit! The food and drinks were excellent as well with 2 for 1 happy hour specials 12-1 and again 3-5 pm. I did hear that others had a lot of trouble getting the palapas and with the hot sun they are needed, but I just read a reply from the hotel that they are extending their beach area to add additional palapas and umbrellas for shade. That would be an excellent idea if they are doing so!

We had one complaint, the casino is the largest on the island and they do host many weddings so some rooms can be noisy. We had a 6th floor premium ocean view but due to the open hallways the noise from the casino and lobby bar was overwhelming the first few nights. I complained to the front desk and they advised would be quieter as wedding over and provided a $100 credit without asking. The rest of the nights were fairly quiet.

The many advantages, the grounds are beautiful, the people working at the hotel were very nice and helpful, The restaurants were excellent although pricey but to be expected at a resort. Simply Fish serves dinner right on the beach on the beach was magnificent and I strongly recommend due to the location (although food did come out a bit cold but I think because they have to bring all the way to the beach). My family went once and my wife and I had a romantic dinner alone a 2nd time as we enjoyed so much. Service overall was excellent.

I would gladly return to this hotel and look forward to my next visit. I would only again comment that they need more Umbrella's by the pool (they are also reserved via towels and personal belongings by 7 AM and no one wants to get up that early on vacation) and more shade by the beach (palapas, umbrellas or palm trees). Other than that (which is a common problem at most resorts) this is one of the nicer hotels you will visit.

Dear Ronald

You will be happy to know that we will be extending our beach area this year, so yes we will have more umbrellas which should make a huge difference. Thank you for taking the time to review our resort, it is very much appreciated. Sorry that a couple of events in the hotel disturbed your stay, we do typically have no events after 10pm, but I will look into why the lobby music disturbed you late as it should not have done, sorry about that. Again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Dayton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

First of all I have written a review last week and it still hasn't been posted so I Am trying again .
We stayed for a week and even though the hotel was told about my "special" birthday coming up and my husband's birthday the day after we left nothing was done.
I had read many reviews where people got cake, champagne or something in their room if they were celebrating a special event.
I wish I knew the name of the people we spoke to at the front desk who promised a bottle of wine and never came through with their promise.
One person was wonderful--Chandra at concierge who helped make reservations,book tours,etc .
The hotel was nice but a slight disappointment ,and like I said I don't know why my previous review hasn't been posted.I hope this one gets on the reviews.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Linda

I am sorry that we did not wow you for your celebrations. As you mentioned in your review many other guests have commented on getting nice surprises for special occasions, but we obviously missed the mark with you both and I am sorry about that. We do our best, and to be honest we do not manage to surprise everyone who is celebrating occasions as our associates are empowered to be spontaneous in their surprising. Again I am sorry that we did not treat you to something on your birthday but am happy to hear that you still had a nice stay with us and hopefully we will get to welcome you back again soon.

Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

I wanted to share my great experience and birthday celebration at the Marriott Aruba and Stellaris Casino. In preparation for my experience, I received follow up emails from Reshma Paryani (Guest Relations Supervisor) asking if we were celebrating a special event. I shared my birthday celebration and made a request for a small fridge for the room. She was very prompt with her responses and continued to follow up until the day before check in. When I arrived, to my surprise was a fun and birthday decorated room with balloons, ribbons and happy birthday signs in the room! Also, a beautiful flower arrangement with well wishes from the housekeeping department!. Thank you very much Rhona Williams!

Reshma sent me added sunshine with a bottle of wine and cheese/cracker dish. What a great surprise!

There is a wonderful adults only pool area that is quiet and fenced in. It was so tranquil. In addition, there is a great bar that is located beachfront. If you don't want to have the full on 3 course meal at dinner, you can dine on the water in the bar area and just order appetizers or salads. Very nice!

On the last day we ordered room service breakfast. What a nice experience - this is truly a happy island. Max, Lucia and Edmira presented me with a box of chocolates and wished me a great birthday celebration!

This was truly a memorable birthday!

Maria O'Connor

Room Tip: At least get an ocean view room
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Maria

It sounds like Reshma, Rhona, Max, Lucia & Edmira really made this trip special. I will make a point of personally thanking them for you, they will be thrilled. Thank you so much for taking the time to review our resort and I hope we get to see you again for your next birthday celebration.

Matt Knights, Hotel Manager, Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Marriott Aruba Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!