“Great Place” 4 of 5 stars

Warm Up in Aruba
New Jersey
“Great Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This was our 2nd trip to the Marriott Stellaris Resort. There were many updates and renovations since our first stay which was 9 years ago and everything was as beautiful as I remembered it. The rooms were clean and comfy. We stayed in a "Premium Oceanfront Room." While I would not consider this to be "oceanfront" the view was still beautiful as we were on the 7th floor. We spent a few days in the sun at the adult pool which opens at 7 a.m. and on the beach under a hut. Both were very nice however, the process of obtaining "a spot" is a little ridiculous. There are approximately 80 huts on the beach which MUST BE reserved ahead of time. Here's the catch, you can reserve a hut in advance for a fee (I think $20 or so) but the Marriott only allows 50% of the huts to be rented for a fee. 25% are free and can be reserved for free at 4:00 p.m. the day before. And the other 25% are free and can be reserved for free at 7:00 a.m on the morning of. Well if you want a free hut, then be prepared to wait on line for at least 1.5 hours as people were lined up at 5:30 in the morning to reserve one. This whole process was just annoying. The adult pool which opened at 7:00 am had people waiting at the gate to throw towels across lounge chairs in order to save their spots until they returned later on. The whole thing felt like a game of trying to be first. It seemed to me like there were just too many guests and not enough space. That being said, this was our only complaint.
The casino was nice, the staff was friendly, the grounds were pretty and clean, check in and check out were easy, many dining options. I would recommend this hotel to others, just be prepared for a crowd.
**Breakfast tip: Le Petite restaurant is within walking distance of the Marriott. Good food and very reasonable. Approx. $10 per person.

Room Tip: There are 8 floors to this hotel. The higher the floor, the better otherwise your view of the ocean...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ArubaMarriottResort, Hotel Manager at Marriott Aruba Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear LeeLee

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, it is very much appreciated. You had some great comments, but also some areas for us to look at. You mentioned the Ocean Front room type, we do try to be very transparent with all of our room types, but I will research into which room you had and make sure it is in the right category, thanks for this feedback. You also mentioned the beach palapa’s, and I have to say that it certainly is difficult for all of the major beach hotels to manage this area, all of Aruba’s beautiful beach’s are public, and as such the number of palapa’s we have is not regulated by the hotel. I do feel that we offer a very fair approach to getting a palapa, which allows some to be given out in the morning for the next day, some in the afternoon and some at a small price. Of course the system is not perfect, and not everyone may get a palapa every day during peak season. Recognizing this we did add an additional pool last year, which has become very popular with out adult guests, but yes people do get up early in peak times to get a spot. Thanks again for your review, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Aruba soon.

Matt Knights, Hotel Manager, Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (992)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Rooms are very nice, try and take a higher floor for less pool noise. Nice views of the ocean. Great service, very friendly staff. Spent a week here and would repeat. Spa services were excellent as were the restaurants...which I'll review separately. Great time!

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jonah

Thanks for your lovely review, it is very much appreciated. You mentioned the very friendly staff, and I have to say I agree with you. The team I am lucky to work with is exceptional and makes my job very easy. Thanks again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have so much to say about this fabulous island and the Marriott! And not enough time right now, so I will have to continue another time, but I wanted to write something sooner than later before time goes by. This was our second trip to Aruba and the Tradewinds at the Marriott. Hard to believe, as it is a long way from California. Many folks say..really, why don't you go to Hawaii? We will. We got married in Hawaii many years ago, but....ARUBA!!!! How relaxing can you get? For now, let me just say: Hermina, I need you here! All the girls in the Tradewinds are so sweet and helpful. And Hermina!!! We miss you already! Marriott service and quality does not disappoint!

Room Tip: It's all personal preference, I think, as I've heard many say they don't really care sin...
Dear imjaycee

Thank you for your review, wow, you came a long way to see us, but I agree it is worth it. You mentioned Hermina, who certainly is stunning and a pleasure to work with. I will pop by to see her today and pass along your comments. Thanks again for your kind review and I look forward to welcoming you back to Aruba for your third visit.

Lowellville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

The hotel was very clean and the hotel staff were great. The hotel food was very good especially Ruth's Steak House. There are also many of great places to dine within 5 to 10 minutes of the hotel. We spent a lot of time by the pool and beach. The swim up bar was a great refreshing place to relax. Brian and Franklin were very good bartenders and could not have treated myself and my family any better during our stay. One last thing is that the casino was where we spent our evenings. Thanks everyone for treating us so greatly on our vacation. I would go back in a second.

Room Tip: All the rooms that face the pool or beach seemed to have great views. The higher the floor the bette...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ArubaMarriottResort, Hotel Manger at Marriott Aruba Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear John

Thank you for your kind review, it sounds like you had a blast. You mentioned Brain & Franklin, who I agree do a great job in the pool bar, I will be sure to pass along your compliments when I see them today. Again thank you for your great review, and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Caracas, Venezuela
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I made my reservation since february to stay the weekend of july 5th, they charge me the first night on my credit card. Then when I get to the front desk with my wife to star a wonderfull vacations...... after they almost made all the process to the check in the lady told me, wait my supervisor have to talk with you...and his words was 'SORRY BUT WE DONT HAVE ANY MORE ROOMS AVALIABLE, WE DIDN´T KNOW IF YOU WILL COME OR NOT... and I arrive 5pm. first time in my life that a hear this.... i thougt that this was a serius hotel... And I still waitng for the refund of my money!!! so at the end they send me to a hotel that I never hear before it was OK, }
BE CAREFULL WHEN YOU BOOK IN THS HOTEL BECAUSE THERE IS NO GARANTEE THE THEY WILL GIVE YOU THE ROOM.....

.. a Marriott rewards guest....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ArubaMarriottResort, Hotel Manager at Marriott Aruba Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Adauria

I am truly sorry that your vacation started out in this way. We made a mistake with your reservation last weekend, and were not able to fix it. At the end of the day we were at fault and I am sorry. We have tried to contact you after the weekend, however we have not heard back from you, please can you either respond to the note we sent you or get in touch with me directly. I am currently away from the hotel on vacation, but would be happy to talk with you this week. As the error was ours, we did pay for the hotel we moved you to, so that you had a complimentary stay, and your deposit is in process of being refunded, but it is obvious that we failed you on the caring side when you arrived at the resort. This is certainly not something that we do as a practice, but we made a mistake and that is why we compensated you financially. Again I am sorry for your experience as I do understand that this was not the way you should have started your vacation, and I hope we get a chance to talk soon.

Homewood, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I am a little late in writing this review due to travels after we were there, but still want to commend this location! My daughter and I stayed at the Marriott the week of June 22-29th, 2013 for a much needed vacation and chance to relax together. We choose the Marriott on the recommendation of a couple my husband works with, and we were not disappointed. I travel a fair amount and like a good deal; the Marriott perfectly met my expectations. Check-in was a pleasurable experience; staff took the time to get to know us a bit and our reason for travel. Julissa was delightful, and her later thoughtfulness was touching! The intern (Alexandra?) from Gothenburg Sweden was also so friendly (such a delight to talk to as I had visited her city many years ago). Our room was not ready upon our early arrival, and the hotel easily accommodated us so we could "hit the beach" right away. Julissa was right in saying our room would be worth waiting for! Spacious and luxurious, it had a wonderful view and a big balcony that we totally enjoyed both for breakfast and late night relaxation. The bathroom included double sinks, a large closet (with safe), and bathrobes (which my 24 year old daughter adored). A refrigerator in the room was also great to have. Housekeeping kept the room in wonderful condition. Our week spent on the beach was unbelievably relaxing (where does the time go?). It did not seem busy and we easily obtained palapas, either by waiting in line (and meeting lovely folks with great tips for enjoying the island at the same time), or by reserving ahead of time when we were going to be out doing other activities or excursions (the all day jeep adventure with ABC Tours was great!). Special thanks to Anna Lee (?) for accommodating our needs one day at the palapa rental! Never made it to the adult pool, but enjoyed the other pool with swim-up bar during happy hour (though beach service would have brought us our drinks, as David kindly pointed out!) As others have noted, all personnel were friendly and helpful, and the grounds were beautiful. The Marriott's location allows for quiet, along with easy access either by taxi or walking along the beach, to great restaurants for an bite to eat at lunch or for a delightful dinner. The concierge personnel made us reservations at both Papiamento and Wacky Wahoo's (the latter not to be missed), and the elegance of the gentleman obtaining cabs at the front door of the hotel was delightful. There was absolutely nothing we could complain about, and my daughter noted that the standard for future vacations was now set awfully high. Marriott helped make this a truly memorable vacation for my daughter and I. Thanks so much to all! I have never been one to return to a destination, but I will be return to Aruba (with each of my other three daughters) and to the Marriott!

Room Tip: We booked through Expedia - not sure how we ended up with such a great room (fourth floor near the e...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Barbara

Thanks for taking the time to write your review, I really do appreciate it. I am happy to hear that you and your daughter had a relaxing vacation, and it seems that you also made time to visit some of the islands great restaurants. In your review you mentioned Julissa, Alexandra, David and Anali, all of whom are true superstars and I am sure will love your comments. Thank you again for your kind words, and I look forward to welcoming you and your other daughters to Aruba soon.

Kinnelon, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We just returned from a great vacation on Aruba at the beautiful Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino. Not only is the resort absolutely stunning but the staff is exceptional. Right from the start we were charmed by the front desk receptionist, Reshma, who warmly welcomed us and who went out of her way to make our stay throughout the week special. Another shining star on staff was our waitress at the pool, Lissette. She was so kind to my teenage girls that upon leaving they insisted they take a photo with her.
The restaurant facilities were very good as well. We had an especially lovely evening dining on the beach at Simply Fish where the food was just as good as the ocean front views.
Overall, the trip was perfect and we look forward to returning again soon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Cheryl

Thanks for your great review. I am very happy to hear that you and your family had an amazing time. You mentioned Reshma & Lissette, who I have to agree, are exceptional at what they do. Also thanks for the simply fish comment, I do love dining on the beach with the sand between your toes, priceless. Thanks again for your review, and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Matt Knights, Hotel Manager, Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Marriott Aruba Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!