“LOVED Aruba!!” 4 of 5 stars

30% Off in Paradise
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“LOVED Aruba!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My husband & I went to Aruba for our 1 year anniversary/honeymoon. I loved everything about it! The people were friendly, food was delicious, music was great! (lots of salsa & merengue)-being that I'm from PR, I was dancing the nights away! Eagle beach was the best!! Unfortunately Palm Beach, the beach where this resort is, is not so great. The water was really cloudy-couldn't see your feet in shallow water. Being that it's the caribbean, I was expecting crystal clear blue waters. I assume it's all the boats, jet skis, etc. polluting the water AND all the people getting into the water with suntan oils & sunscreen lotions-being that it's a small area that is roped off for people to swim in. At Palm Beach, if I went into the water, it was on a floating mat (which the resort provides for free). I did not want my feet to touch the ocean floor because it was mushy & almost slimy. So, I would highly recommend Eagle Beach! It was amazingly beautiful!! Just what I expected, crystal clear blue, calm waters & not so crowded like Palm Beach because it's further away from all the resorts. Although, it is about a 15-20 minute walk from the Marriott. We took a cab, about $10. The check-in was nice. We were greeted with some refreshing tropical drinks & a tray of fresh fruits were sent up to our room. We had a partial view of the pool which was OK because we spent all our days on the beach until sunset.

As for the resort, I will say that they tried to offer us the "Tradewinds" all you can eat-it was approx. $110pp/per night. We calculate that we wouldn't end up spending that much on food & drinks, which we didn't. Also, you can only eta & drink at the Tradewinds club which was on another floor. It was an inconvenience. It limits you & it's expensive. We had all you can eat breakfast at Moomba's bar & grill for $10/pp (it's walking distance from resort). We had lunch at the pool bar, which we ended up ordering one entree & sharing it because they serve such large portions (the cuban sandwich was good!). For drinks, we bought a few bottles of liquor at the duty free in the airport which saved us some $$ & we went to all the happy hours for 2 for 1 drinks (The Miami Vice at the pool bar is GOOD!). We did splurge on dinner. We went to several restaurants which we recommend; Gianni's Italian (recommend the Sangria & Shrimp scampi), Tango Argentine Grill *recommend the grilled chorizo (both on the mains trip), Simply fish (on the beach at the resort-highly recommend the banana coconut cake!) and Flying Fish Bone (it's about a 30-45m cab ride, approx. $35-40) but SO WORTH IT! I recommend the Peruvian ceviche and chocolate ravioli (I will write more reviews on the restaurants).

For transportation, we took the public bus which stops outside the front of the resort. It's about $1.10 for 2 people and it drops you off right on the main strip where you can walk to all the shops, bars & restaurants. If you want to travel around the island, rent a car but if you're staying within the resort area, take the local bus. It's safe & the people are friendly & helpful. On the late night outs, we took a cab back because the bus stops running around 9-10PM. The only thing I will say about safety is for the ladies, if you're going with a group of girlfriends, just stick together at all times. That goes for anywhere but because of what's happened in the past in Aruba, just be aware & watch out for each other.

For the tours, we did the following: Jolly Rancher Pirate Cruise (lots of fun-good snorkeling, good food & drinks, and a swinging rope!), Paddle boarding (great workout-must have good balance & coordination) If you've been kayaking, this will be easy. And we did a tour to baby beach (another beautiful beach with good snorkeling), rock formations (spotted the 1st blue lizard), and the Natural pool, which I was not too impressed. I mean, it's a beautiful view but the water on that side of the island was ROUGH. Even though the natural pool is surrounded by huge rock formations that break the powerful waves, I did not feel safe. Especially when we didn't have life vests & one of the waves that crashed into the natural pool pushed my husband away while he was snorkeling. Luckily, he's a good swimmer & doesn't panic & was able to swim out of it. The ride to the natural pool was an adventure in itself. It's a very bumpy, rocky ride but it was fun & we saw lots of sheep running around.

The best time to go to Aruba is Sept.-Oct. which is considered low season. We ended up being the only ones on the tour so we got a private jeep tour of the island :) The temperature was perfect, about 85 degrees weather, no rain but very windy-no humidity.

All in all, we would definitely go back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

2,919 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I am writing this while still at the hotel. So far everything has been as per our expectations. Our room was not ready when we got here but I can say it was worth the one hour wait to get it. We had booked a premium ocean view room and that's what we got. Unrestricted views to the ocean n beyond.
Beverly at reception is a gem and has been helpful. She has been able to answer most of those 1st day questions which most of us have. Will update when out trip is over

Room Tip: Ask to see which room u r being given on the map. we did as an earlier writer had written
Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

First time to Aruba and loved everything about it.Went for a quick 4 day/3 night weekend getaway.Loved the Adult pool,the cabanas were very inexpensive for the day.The next day we reserved a Palapa on the beach.The restaurant Simply Fish located on the beach at the hotel was a great experience,try to get a sunset seating reservation.All in all this hotel was great for couples but would not bring my kids fearing they would be bored...

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean Front not Ocean View
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
East Longmeadow, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

For the past two years or so,I have been looking for the perfect Aruban holiday at the perfect price for our first trip to the island. Aruba is not an inexpensive place, so when I saw a terrific deal for a week's stay at The Marriott Aruba Resort and Stellaris Casino with direct non-stop flights from Boston on Jetblue Getaways....we jumped on it. The hitch, of course, was that we would be staying in a "construction view" room. As it turned out, construction of the new Ritz-Carlton next door never really became an issue.Sure, we didn't have a full-on ocean view, but we did have a partial, along with warmth, sunshine, and island breezes.The room was spacious and cleaned impeccably each day. The balcony was large, and even with the construction( now mostly interior work) it was a great place to enjoy a coffee and pastry in the morning. The property itself is lush and beautiful, and well cared for. It must be said that we are not "stay at the beach all day" people. We were easily able to get chaise lounges when we wanted them around the pool and at the beach. I did see people waiting in line at various times for the thatched palapas on the beach though. The Stellaris Casino at the resort was fairly larger than most casinos in the Palm Beach area........and believe it or not, we did win cash on several occasions! The breakfast buffet was very good albeit a tad pricy. Finding a place to easily walk to and have a simple meal is not particularly easy, but walking the beach pathway to the Hyatt Resort area is very pleasant and there are a wide array of very good restaurants there. Cabs are always easily available from the Marriott but, make sure that you rent a car for at least two or three days to really get a sense of what the island is all about.( we encountered a herd of ten or twelve goats at a rotary.....what a hoot!) Hertz has a rental desk in the lobby of the resort. All in all, it was a wonderful pre-Christmas holiday, and I would most certainly go back..........if the price was right....... So many places.....so little time!!!!!

Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My wife and I decided to stay here for our babymoon. The views from our hotel room were magnificent. The hotel is shaped like a horseshoe with the open part facing the ocean. It seems that almost any room in the hotel has a great view of the pool and the ocean. The sunsets were magnificent everyday. We used the adult pool daily and we noticed that you really needed to wake up early in order to obtain a pool chairs by the pool. I woke up at 6am daily to run down and reserve chairs for me and my wife. The room was beautiful and spotless, however, we requested a king sized bed and only got 2 queens. The hotel was able to accommodate us with a king sized bed, but only on the 2nd night. We paid for internet daily, which sort of seemed like a rip, but I cannot live without internet access. It seems that every room has a balcony. The food at the Vista Cafe by the pool was delicious. The breakfast buffet was also tasty, abundant with various different types of food, and very clean. I used the gym for a couple of days and there were plenty of treadmills and weight training machines. Hardly any free weights. The staff by the pool was extremely friendly and ready to serve drinks and lunch at a moment's notice. It was very easy to get around from the hotel as cabs were always available to take us wherever we wanted to go. It was only a $6.00 ride (+tip) to the local restaurants and shops. I highly recommend this place. Be prepared to pay, but remember, it's Aruba.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the middle of the hotel, directly above the lobby instead of off to the side.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Just returned yesterday from the Marriot Stellaris. My first impression was that of disappointment. My husband immediately felt regret for not booking the Hyatt. The design and orientation of the lobby is similar to that of an airport terminal. Check-in was unremarkable with a general air of indifference and jadedness of the staff. The concierge do not smile and show no passion or excitement for their job. The few that I dealt with did not go out of their way to secure or confirm restaurant reservations. The one fellow seemed annoyed by our need to change a dinner reservation and just pointed to the big black book of restaurants. The rooms were spacious but lackluster. They only supply one bathrobe for a king room which clearly had two people. Yes, only a phone call to housekeeping but why?? The carpet was dirty looking and when we looked under the bed it was obvious that it had not been vacuumed between guests.- gross. The Hallway was very dirty. I never saw or heard a vacuum ONCE! The hut and chair situation is very corrupt during busy holiday seasons. All beaches in aruba are public but somehow the beach staff has some rules of their own. Im very glad I didn't listen to the hut manager and took an area which had no towels or any sign of "reservations" (which they unscrupulously take 25$ for) because the so called family never showed up. The beach was ridden with seaweed everywhere on the sand and in the water it was just very unpleasant. The management and staff need some intense training but in the meantime we will not be returning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Quakertown, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently stayed here for 5 nights/ 6 days on 12/6/12. Despite our horrible flying experience coming & going on United, Aruba was beautiful. When we finally arrived at our hotel we were very pleased with the aesthetics. We waited in line to check in & when we finally got to the desk unfortunately they had messed up our reservations & given us a room with 2 queen size beds instead of the King size room This was quite confusing to us because we had gotten a room in the trade winds section of the hotel which is as they say "a hotel with in the hotel". The trade winds area in the hotel consists of the ocean view rooms on the 8th floor that is an "Adult Only" floor with only 2 people per room. That being said we couldn't figure out why there would be any rooms with 2 beds in them. So we were a little disappointed that they would not be able to give us our proper accommodations until the next day. But we were happy just to be checking in and trying to enjoy the rest of our day since we were late on our arrival thanks to United. So we told the woman at the counter that we would just wait until tomorrow to get the king size bed. When we asked about our details of being in the Trade Winds room the woman must have been new because she did not know what was included with our Specialty room & we were starting to think that our trip was going to be "cursed" for lack of a better term. But she found out the details for us & gave us our keys. We got into our room & were happy with it other then the 2 beds. It wasn't as glamorous as our room earlier this year at the Hard Rock in Punta Cana but hopefully that was a good sign because the room was the only good thing about our Punta Cana trip. So with a satisfactory room and a beautiful view we began our much needed vacation.
We had decided on the Trade Winds room at the Marriott Stellaris because it was a "Partial Inclusive". My boyfriend had been to Aruba many years before & thought the food was amazing so he didn't want to stay at an "All inclusive" because he wanted us to be able to eat where we wanted to. But two of my very good clients had traveled to Aruba this year and told me that it was extremely expensive. So I convinced my boyfriend to do the partial. It was well worth it. The Trade Winds rooms has their own club, the Trade Winds Lounge. It has breakfast, lunch, tea time, snack time, & dinner. Its a buffet type display that has a very nice variety of food and drinks. It was very nice to have the option of being able to utilize it if we wanted. They also had all water, soft drinks, etc available to be taken to your rooms or the pool or beach area. A variety of beers were also available in the club all day. Unfortunately for me, a non-beer drinker, wine and cocktails were only available during dinner. But it still was extremely convenient to not have to pay for everything. Some of the guests had little coolers that they would fill and take down to the pool or the cabana area on the beach. The extra money for the Trade Winds rooms was more then worth it. We had dinner every night where ever we wanted and ate at the lounge during the day. The one day we decided to have the buffet breakfast at the hotel & it was amazingly good but slightly expensive. About $60 with tip. So we realized that the lounge was a very good choice. Dinner at the hotel, Simply Fish, was amazing. The food was very good and we sat right on the water. We also ate at Madame Jeanettes which was mediocre, El Gauchos which was probably one of the best steak houses we had been to, and Gianni's Italian Restaurant that was not very good. We are from the east coast & have very high standards for our Italian food :) So we had 2 amazing meals and 2 mediocre ones. The last night (we thought) of our trip we ate again at the hotel. We had gotten pizza and it was surprisingly good.
Now for the beach & pool area. It was very nice to have the private beach area for Trade Wind clubs guests. They had cabanas to reserve and lounge chairs with canopy tops. If you like to sit close to the water the chairs with canopies are great. They have shade when you need and close proximity to the oceans edge when you want. But be cautious because the sun is very strong. The winds mask it well but if the wind stops the sun is at times a little rough to handle. I'm Hawaiian & American Indian and I even had a few overexposed spots. You need at the very least 30SPF if not more. If you are fair get up early & reserve the cabana. Its very shaded and there is always cold water available. But we brought 3 cans of sunscreen and ran out on the 3rd day. It was $45 for 2 cans of Sunscreen at the hotel! Ouch! That hurt more then the sunburn! LOL! The pool area was actually cooler then the beach thanks to the palm trees. It also had a swim up bar. The happy hours are definitely something to take note of the first day so you can participate in these designated hours. The "Adult Only" pool area is also beautiful and has a bar but we are beach people so we only went to that area a couple times.
The casino was ok. We live close to Atlantic City & have several casinos in PA so the hotel casino seemed very small. Too much smoke but decent. The Aruba crowd seems to be an early risers type. Not much going on at night but there is an area called "South Beach". It had a little more going on as far as bars/nightclubs. It was nice for a night. All and all our trip was almost perfect. The beginning issues did not continue thru and I would definitely recommend the Marriott Stellaris to anyone looking to travel to Aruba. We will definitely be returning!
On a side note..We were stuck in Aruba an extra day because of plane malfunctions. We were treated terribly & at this point would never fly United again. But the other hotel that we were put up in will also be getting a review from me.

Room Tip: Get the trade winds club and the rooms at the farthest points of the hotel closest to the beach.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Aruba Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!