“An awful place!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Aruba Resort, Casino & Spa

Save Saved
You added Radisson Aruba Resort, Casino & Spa to your Saves list
Radisson Aruba Resort, Casino & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 81, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Family Time this Summer
London
“An awful place!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2007

We booked this place based on the overall positive views foound on tripadvisor. We had a totally different experience!

Our issues , in summary, were as follows:
1/ Tacky looking resort with bright orange buildings that would fit right in "Butlins" I'm sure
2/ Loud music in the evenings confirming the tacky feel
3/ Lazy, unresponsive staff, highly erratic housekeeping quality
4/ Common areas that smell (from the damp I presume)
5/ Permanent damp smell in the room - decor of tacky design
6/ Poor quality bathrooms
7/ Definitely not worth the price.

We checked out as soon as we could and moved into the Westin (which is better but also not great). We also visited the Hyatt on a couple of occasions and this is the ONLY resort that has any class from what I saw in Aruba. We hesitated booking this however because of the "bathroom issue" (see reviews for that hotel for an explanation).

• Liked — Best quality beach out of the high rise resorts
  • Disliked — Plenty- see above!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

2,199 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2007

After being very disappointed in the hotel we had booked ahead of time in Aruba, we were thrilled to change to the Radisson. We felt our wonderful, relaxed time was in large part due to this place. The service was excellent - friendly and efficient and our room was clean comfortable and nicely furnished. The grounds were lovely and very well kept When given the choice, we preferred the room with a garden view, we felt the ocean-view room was more a view of rooftops than ocean. But we enjoyed sitting on our private balcony looking out at the trees and lovely garden with its winding paths.

In our opinion, we were really pampered and well-treated and hope to return to the Radisson in the near future.

I would like to add that during a stay a personal matter came up that required some help from the management. They were truly helpful and kind - they even provided us with follow-up after we got home which we found extremely thoughtful.

Stayed October 2006
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2007

We stayed at the Radisson April 22-30. This was our 4th trip to Aruba and 3rd stay at the Radisson. We stayed at the Hyatt once. The Hyatt is very nice but the beach is better at the Radisson.

CHECK-IN: We had requested a King bed, non-smoking room, not overlooking the contruction at the Riu next door. A week before arrival, I sent an e-mail to follow-up on this request. I received a reply that the request would be honored since we were repeat guests. The e-mail did not have a person's name, just "Radisson Aruba". When we arrived, we were given a room that overlooked the Riu. I wouldn't have really been upset if they hadn't confirmed the room in their reply e-mail. When I questioned this, the girl at the front desk replied "well, for the rate you're paying you should be happy we even gave you a King bed!" I had picked "Garden View" when I booked the room directly on Radisson's own web site. I didn't care what the view was as long as it wasn't the construction site. Her poor attitude really got me angry so I told her that room was unacceptable and wanted another room. She said they were completely full and couldn't change it. I didn't believe her and asked for a manager. She disappeared for a while and came back with a manager. After several head shakes and keystrokes they miraculously found another room...and I thought they were full. Anyway, the new room was fine on the 4th floor of the Curacao building looking "in". It was just a very frustrating start to the vacation.

CHECK-OUT: Unfortunately this was equally frustrating. The rate that I booked on-line included one free nite if you stayed at least 5 nites and a $100 food and beverage credit. The desk clerk did not want to give me either credit. When I asked about it he curtly asked "what's your confirmation number?" Shouldn't he have it...he had our account up on the screen? I gave it to him, he punched something in the computer and then said "I don't see anything about this reservartion that would make you think you're entitled to a free nite or a food & beverage credit." Fortunately I had printed all of the details from my initial booking of the room and gave it to him. It clearly listed these 2 credits to be given upon checkout. He took my papers and disappeared for about 15 minutes. He came back without saying a word and started typing something. I asked him what was happening and he snapped back "I'm adjusting your bill!" I asked to see an itemized copy of my account before he charged anything else to my credit card. He acted as if this was the biggest imposition I could possibly place on him. He reluctantly printed it, I OK'd it and we left for the airport. Again, a very frustrating end to the vacation.

BEACH: This is the whole reason we've been to Aruba several times. The beach is great, the ocean water is calm and warm, and the weather couldn't be better. In between the frustrating beginning and end of our vacation, we enjoyed 9 great days on the beach. Every day we would walk the entire length of the beach from the Phoenix to the Marriott and the Radisson has the largest and best beach of any of the hotels in the high rise area.

POOL: We would go to the pool just to rinse off the salt water. They were nice and clean, but we were there for the beach. We didn't spend much time in them. There are plenty of nice pools anywhere in the US.

PALAPAS: They started an annoying new system of signing up for a palapa. You used to go down in the morning and they would open at 7:00 AM. I'd go down at 6:45 and was always near the front of the line. Now you sign up at 4:00 PM the day before but people started form the line at 2:30!! The beach manager made a rule that the line couldn't start before 3:00. This lasted a day or 2 before people started lining up earlier again. Seeing people in line made other people stop to wait in line, too, so they wouldn't be shut out of getting a hut. The result was 1 1/2 hours wasted every afternoon waiting in line to sign up for the next day. You couldn't go snorkeling, sailing, shopping, or anything else in the afternoon if you wanted a hut the next day. Not 1 person in line liked this system of wasting vacation time every afternoon just to make sure you had a hut for the following day. PLEASE, if you go, complain to the manager to have it changed back to the old way. This system really will impact my decision as to whether or not we will go back. Many other people in line shared the same feeling.

I'm still giving a 4/5 rating because the beach and location are great. We weren't going to let the front desk staff ruin an otherwise great vacation.

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — Palapa reservation system
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Italy, Europe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2007

I actually staied in all the best hotels of Aruba (Hyatt, Marriott and Radisson)

the Radisson offers the best deal, expecially with pre-booking you can save even a 30% off.

BEACH

The Radisson is located on the BEST part of Aruba Palm Beach.

Actually Eagle beach has a tourquise clean water, but the hotels in that area are not so good and it's soooo windy...anyway, it is 10 minutes walking distance from Palm Beach..I sugest to move there a couple of mornings...

ROOMS

All rooms are nice, clean and fresh, but Hyatt's and Marriott's are better. No Plasma Tv Very comfortable bathroom with tub and shower
Beds are VERY comfortable!!!

DINNER

Food is good at the Sunset Grille, but let me suggest something or dinner..

Japengo (@ the Hyatt) for the best sushi
Ruinas del Mar (@ the Hyatt) for seafood and local dishes
Ventanas del mar (@ Tierra del Sol) for international food
Simply fish (@ the Marriott) for local seafood

Remain in the hotels, don't go eating in restaurants outside!!!

LUNCH

For lunch you can have good snacks everywhere on Palm Beach, in the hotels or on the Piers!

If you go to Eagle Beach try the Pirate's Nest's hot dog!!

POOL

The radisson has the best pool on Aruba.. the Whyrpools are absolutely nice and quite.

SERVICE

Concierges and front desk employees are friendly and will help you in everything.

You have to ask for the free turndown service at evening

There are many huts on the beach but better reserve one!

SPA

Larimar spa were under construction, but I heard it was going to be one of the best spa in the Caribbean

ARUBA

Aruba is a fantastic place to stay for all kinds of guests : families, newlyweeds, boys & girls... It offers peace and fun at the same time!!!

People is very friendly, and it's a very safe place!!

The weather is hot and sunny everytime of the year!!!

Everything is very cheap, downtown is very nice to visit, and shopping too, I suggest to go around with a rented car (rates are sooo cheap.. 30 USD per day)

Experience a ATV trip

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2007

Ok, here are my rants and raves about the Radisson. First, which I thought was really weird. The bathroom doors in the Aruba Tower are not doors, they are slatted doors (i think that is the word, or louvre), that do not hit the ground. So if you are a "New" couple and you want your bathroom privacy, forget it. Anyone in the room can hear what is going on in there. Also, if your husband or you are tall, you may have to bend over in the shower. My daughter is 5'8 and she was a couple of inches from the top of the shower. Just kind of weird to me. Anyway, I was in 1503, the odd side. So, what I had was an oceanview room, but when you step out on the balcony, there was a roof below, with really loud vents on top. Also, there were 4 cans on the roof and they kept rolling around when the wind blew, and that was pretty much the whole time. I tried to find a way out there, as the 3rd floor is level with the roof. But I couldn't. I could have told the front desk, but I hate to be a complainer. Also, we spent very little time in the room. But, the even side, if you have a room high up you will be facing the construction. So, I was happy with the odd side. The hotel staff was great. My door got stuck and I couldn't get into my room. Security was up to my room within 5 minutes. Also, I requested a refrigerator and that came up within 10 minutes. I thought the room was very pretty, and clean. I thought the girls making the restaurant reservations were great. The Palapa situation, sometimes the lines start 2 hours prior. That is crazy to me. We would wing it. Sometimes by 12n, people leave because it is so hot, you can grab any available Palapa. If it is slow season, you can reserve one after 4pm, when the line has gone down. We never had a problem getting one. The Sunset Grille was great. Gilligans had so many flies around that area, it was very aggravating. The pool and the grounds were fantastic. The Casino was really smokey. Overall, I did like the Radisson and would return. However, I prefer the Beach at Manchebo or Bucuti. It is so spread out and very wide. It is gorgeous. So I might try down there next time.

• Liked — Decor
  • Disliked — roof with loud vents below and the bathroom doors
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

Just returned after an 8 day stay at the Radisson Aruba. Had a deluxe ocean view room in the Aruba tower. The room was well appointed and very clean. On the 4th floor you are just above the palm trees, so you don't get the best view of the ocean. Would recommend a higher floor. The Radisson is also set back quite a ways from the ocean, unlike some of the other hotels. The only complaint I have about the ocean view Aruba tower room is that we were directly above the Martini bar, like maybe 50 feet. At 10pm the band starts and goes on for a couple of hours, then the karaoke starts. Sounded like the band was playing on our balcony! Most nights this didn't bother us since we were up past midnight and had lots to drink.

Nextdoor to the south, they are working on the massive Riu Palace. Construction starts early in the morning and continues until dark. You do not want to be in the Radisson building next to The Riu while the construction is going on.

Rented a car for a few days. Went to Oranjstad, the other beaches, saw some ruins, the collapsed natural bridge, etc. Very impressed with the lack of poverty on the island.

We ate at Madame Janet and Le Dome and both were fantastic. At the Radisson we ate at the Sunset Grille, my wifes favorite. Also ate at Gilligans a couple of times.

The pool area and grounds of the Radisson are superior to any other hotel in the high rise area, in terms of size and landscaping. The free form pools were great. The Hyatt grounds were a bit more manicured, but the Radisson still impressed me the most.

The palapa thing was funny. At 3pm there must have been 50 people already in line to reserve their palapa for the next day. I don't know what the big deal is about those things. I suppose if you hardly ever get to see an ocean, then it's a must.

Gambled at all the high rise hotels. We liked gambling at The Hyatt the best, followed by the Radisson. Nice selection of slots at The Hyatt, plus they had the coldest beer.

One more thing that I'd like to point out is that everywhere you go in Aruba, people were so friendly, and especially at the Radisson.

Overall great time in Aruba. Am planning my next trip down there now.

• Liked — The hotel pool and grounds.
  • Disliked — The band playing below my room.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2007

My husband, daughter (age 9), and I stayed at the Radisson for 10 glorious days starting on 4/13/07. We were originally flying in on 4/16, but moved our flight up to avoid the nor-easter that was forcasted for CT. Best decision we ever made. The Radisson was so relaxing! The beach is the best on the island with plenty of palupas, floating rafts for only $5 per day, and drinks and food served on the beach. They also had ice cold water available on the beach for free. Not always the case at other carribbean resorts we have been to. The pool always had plenty of open chairs to sit on and the grounds were beautiful! My daughter loved the birds and talked to them every day. Most of them talked back!
We met so many nice people during our stay. Everyone chatted on their floats out in the water all day. My daughter made a friend staying at the hotel next door, The Occidental, and they had a blast all week between the two pools and ocean. The casino was nice. Most Blackjack tables were $5 or $10 limit. The video poker games payed off pretty good.
Plenty of good restaurants across the street. It was nice to get off the resort property in the evening without having to flag a cab or take a bus.
Standing in line at 4 for a palupa didn't bother me. At the beginning of the week the resort wasn't full so I was arriving at the towel hut around 3:50 and had no problem reserving a front row palupa. Mid week a convention group arrived and the place was booked to capacity. Then I had to arrive at the towel hut around 3:15 to get a front row palupa. It was worth the 45 min to have an entire day with a front row view of the ocean. Plus it was nice to visit with other guests while standing in line. We all got to know eachother day after day standing in line reserving the same palupas!
The only complaint would be that the rooms are alittle dated. Slight musty smell and furniture marked up a bit. But, only in the room to sleep and change clothes so wasn't a big deal. Would definately return for another vacation! Eileen

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Radisson Aruba Resort, Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!