“Nice, but average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Aruba Resort, Casino & Spa

You added Radisson Aruba Resort, Casino & Spa to your Saves list
Radisson Aruba Resort, Casino & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 81, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Enjoy Family Time
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Revere, Massachusetts
“Nice, but average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2005

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a week at the Radisson. We decided to stay there after having read the reviews on TripAdvisor. There were very good points and a few bad ones, so overall, I'd have to rate the week there as average. First, the accommodations were spectacular. We booked a full oceanview room, and I must say that for the price, it was lovely. Clean, great view, comfortable bed, a decent bathroom. Room service was good, check-in process went very smoothly although after requesting an earlier check in than 4:00, the room wasn't ready until exactly 4:00. Hotel was not crowded, which was nice, no waiting for elevators. Hotel grounds were lovely, and we had our choice of chairs at the pool although the covered areas filled early, mostly with people who ran down, put towels across chairs & didn't show up until late in the day. We were told that the following week would be busier as this was the end of the shoulder season. One VERY big suggestion would be that since there are two large pools, that the one where all of the activities take place should also be designated at the "children's pool". There were way too many diaper babies and yelling toddlers in the area that should have been the "quieter" or "adult" pool. Restaurants were wonderful, especially the Sunset Grill and Laguna's. Good service, not outrageous prices. Gilligans was OK for lunch as it was close to the pool area where we spent most of the week. Food was OK at Gilligans, but nothing to write home about. Could have used a little more imagination. Beware! Tips in restaurants as well as poolside bar service are already ADDED to the total bill. We didn't realize this for a few days and ended up tipping twice. I'm sure we're not the first, either.
Biggest complaint was how we were treated by bar staff. My boyfriend had ordered drinks on several occasions with an "extra shot". We later found out that he was charged for TWO drinks!! We spoke to the manager of Gilligans about this the first time, and he said he would adjust the price so that there was only a charge for an extra shot. The next day, same thing happened. When we spoke to the manager again, we were told, "Well, I fixed it for you yesterday. It was a one time thing. We charge double for extra shots. That's the rule." He was quite rude, said if we didn't like it to take it up with the front desk. So that was definitely a BIG minus. Otherwise, the hotel was very nice, most of the staff was friendly, restaurant concierges did their jobs without going out of their way. Beach was very nice, seemed a lot less congested then the Wyndham beach area. Area restaurants were great. Chez Mathilde was our overall favorite for romantic ambiance, food, and service. Loved Madame Jeanette's, Gasparito was good but very hard to communicate with our wait person, who spoke little English. Least favorite was "El Gaucho". I had been there about 5 years ago, and it was terrific. This time, just OK. Wouldn't go back. Overall, had a wonderful vacation, but don't think I'd stay at the Radisson again. Maybe try the Hyatt next time.

• Stayed December 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2005

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon in May. From the minute we arrived, our stay was incredible. The hotel and grounds are spectacular. The beach is even more beautiful. The staff is very accomodating. Every question we asked, we received "No problem" in response. The hotel restaurant was the best place we ate at during our 10 day stay. Our room was great, with a view of the ocean and beautiful furniture. The bathrooms have louver doors, but that's not a problem if you're there with someone you're close with. We arrived the day Natalee Holloway went missing, and the staff was very sensitive to this. Many staff members apologized, explaining that this is not the behavior of typical Aruban people. Coming from Chicago, things like that happen frequently, and I would never blame the island for such an occurence. As for those calling a boycott to Aruba, they are plain ignorant. Don't punish the hard working hospitality workers for something they have no control over.

The casino is great too. Especially the poker room/bar area. If you go to the bar, tell Francisco that Josh and Rachel from Chicago say hello. (You may get a complimentary drink!)

The Raddison has everything you could possibly ask for. We will never stay anywhere else in Aruba. We are already tentatively planning our next vacation here. Stay at this hotel, you won't regret it.

• Stayed May 2005
ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2005

You would never know this is a Radisson. We think this is the best hotel on the island. We have been several times and will go back again. Biggest complaint is the service. It could be much better, they operate on "aruba time." Great location, awesome beach, good food, nice rooms, walking distance to some great places to eat. needs a better gym! If you have kids, you will love the zero entry pool.

• Stayed January 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2005

My husband and I just got back from a 10 day honeymoon and I felt that I had to write a review. I kept reading all these bad reviews and was nervous as to what to expect. For those looking for a great hotel, look no further. Check-in was fast and the staff was very friendly. They hooked us up with a honeymoon card which gave us discounts and free drinks at several restaurants. We had a partial view in the Curacao tower. The rooms were larger than I expected and the bathroom was decent size. We did have a partial view of the ocean and could watch the cruise ships come into port. The pool was great, but in the afternoons, there were quite a few children, so we opted for the beach. We were able to get a palapa each day, and the beach was unbelievable. We walked through several of the other resorts on Palm Beach, and the Radisson by far, was the nicest. It wasn't too crowded and we just hopped on the Arubus to bring us into town.
We tried several restaurants and loved Valentino's and the Texas de'Brazil.
Nightlife: They had live music each night within walking distance of the hotels, and the Soprano's piano bar was a fun place to hang out.
We also rented a Jeep for 3 days, and toured the entire island, very cool and we weren't stuck with tour guides.
We also Snuba'd the ship wreck, very cool.
We are definately staying at the Radisson next time we travel to Aruba.

Stayed November 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Radisson Oct. 24th-30th for our honeymoon. We LOVED the resort and would recommend it to anyone!!

Lobby:
The lobby is beautiful! It is open air with lots of Caribbean feel to it!

Check-in:
Check-in was a little slow, but nothing terrible. We hesitated staying at the Radisson due to the problems with guests not getting their room choices, but we took a chance anyway. I will say this was the one thing that went wrong. We had requested a room with a king bed, deluxe ocean view, and in the Aruba tower. We did get the king bed, but it was in the Bonaire tower and the view wasn't the view we were expecting. So, we went to the lobby and asked for a different room in the Aruba tower. They did not have any rooms with kings available, so we took a room in the Aruba tower and pushed the beds together and it was fine! The view was much better! Don't get me wrong, the room in the Bonaire tower was great, but we paid for a deluxe ocean view and it was more of a partial ocean view. I will say that I really don't think they had any kings available with a view. The hotel was at capacity, you could tell just by walking around. BUT, it never felt overcrowded.

Rooms:
The rooms were great and I saw the rooms in the Aruba and Bonaire towers. I will say that the room in the Aruba tower was much bigger, in my opinion. I'm talking bigger than a normal hotel room. The Bonaire room was big, but the Aruba room was oversized or something. The furniture and decorating was fantastic, very Caribbean. I can't understand why anyone would have problems with the room. The bathrooms were great too and large - much larger than I expected. The balconies were large as well, with 2 chairs and a small table. Housekeeping was fantasic as well!

Pool/beach:
Both the pool and the beach were great! We had NO problems getting a palapa in the morning and some days we didn't get down to the beach till 10 or so. We didn't get the ones in front, but it doesn't matter the way they are spread out, you can see the ocean very good from all of them. The beach was very clean and I didn't think it was too crowded. You can rent a raft for a day for $5 and just float around all day! The pool was FANTASTIC!! The zero entry was awesome! They have chairs you can sit in at the start of the pool to lay out, but still stay cool. The pool was huge and well landscaped. The service at the pool was really good too, waitresses were always asking us if we needed another drink.

Food:
We ordered room service a couple times and it was good. We ate at Gilligans a couple times and we were happy there too! We did eat at the Sunset and I had a bad experience, but my husband loved it. I asked for a steak medium and it took them 3 times to get it right, every time it was very rare. But once they got it right, it was excellent! We got the breakfast buffet included in out package and it was well worth it and very good. They have the same things every morning, but there is a large variety, so I was ok with that.

Concierge:
I thought they were great! They made all our dinner reservations and excurison reservations with no problems.

We at the the Flying Fishbone and if you're in Aruba, it's a MUST DO! The food was fantastic and the atmosphere is great! It's a long trip, but we rented a car one day and went there and spent the day at Baby Beach - another must see! Great beach, clear water!!

We also did all of our trips through DePalm tours and we had a great time! We did the 1/2 day snuba and snorkling trip which we loved and also the jeep safari tour. I know a lot of people say to rent a jeep and go out on your own, but I actually recommend going with DePalm. We got to drive the Range Rovers and the tour guide told us LOTs of historic information we wouldn't have heard on our own. And we saw TONS of people in jeeps broken down - maybe that's a fluke, but I wouldn't want to deal with that!!

Overall, we had a great time and I would recommend it to anyone, especially the Radisson!! We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2005
Berkeley Heights, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2005

My wife and I spent 5 nights at the Radisson in Mid-November for our second anniversary. We were very pleased with the appearence of the hotel, the accommodations and the hospitality. This was our first trip to Aruba and most certainly won't be our last. The restaurants outside the resort were very good, plenty of shopping downtown and easily accessible by bus or cab. The locals were very friendly and a pleasure to talk to.
Of all the hotels in the high rise area, the Radisson has the best and most extensive beach and pool area. The Hyatt was also very nice, you can't go wrong with either one.

• Stayed November 2005
Montclair, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2005

My husband and I, along with our 10-month old daughter, stayed at the Radisson Aruba in mid-November. We have been to just about every Caribbean island, as we like to rent a boat and sail from place to place, so suffice it to say that we have seen it all. Aruba is one of the few islands that we hadn't visited, so we decided to go.

Overall, Aruba is a nice island with EXCEPTIONALLY nice people. I can honestly say that the people in Aruba are the classiest and kindest of ANY island that we've been to. That says A LOT!! I would return for that reason alone. Everyone who we met - from the hotel staff to people we passed in the streets - were wonderful.

However, if you are looking to escape Dunkin' Donuts, McDonalds, and all of the other fast food chains in the good ol' USA, then don't go to Aruba. There wasn't much to do or see in the way of unique island experiences there. And the food wasn't very good...yet it was VERY expensive (think St. Barts.) The island does offer nice scenery, esp. in the northwest...very rugged, with rocky beaches/dunes and cactus plants. The popular beaches - Palm and Eagle beaches, were GORGEOUS, with light tan/white sand and very clear turquoise water. In a nutshell, if you just want to go to an island and sit on a beach and relax, without hassle, then go to Aruba.

The hotel zones are less than exceptional...with the Radisson and Hyatt being the most luxurious of the lot. The hotel zone kind of looks like a throw-back to the 1960s, and could definitely use some improvement (which there is some going on right now), as well as some more upscale establishments. A few nice all-inclusives would definitely bring me back.

The Radisson, without question, has the largest plot of land, with the nicest and most lush landscaping, of any of the hotels. And the strip of beach at the Radisson was by far the nicest. It has the widest beach/sand area and a nice little pier. The Hyatt's grounds were second best; not as large as the Radisson's, and definitely not as lush, but they were very nicely landscaped...AND the Hyatt had an amazing waterslide into their pool (I'd go there just for that!) Oh, and the Hyatt had some great lounge chairs, each with its own sun canopy - a nice touch. The actual building of the Hyatt was a little nicer and classier than the Radisson - but I hear that the rooms at the Radisson are definitely nicer. I was very pleased with our room at the Radisson - great decor, and nice balcony. Most of the rooms at the Hyatt did NOT have balconies - unless you got a suite. However, beware of the room descriptions at the Radisson - if it says "partial ocean view," believe me, it's so partial that it's not really a view at all. We originally booked a partial ocean view room, and when we arrived we realized that their definition of "parial" meant "none, really." So we upgraded to "deluxe" ocean view, and got a nice view. If you really care about an ocean view, make sure you get the deluxe room on at least the 5th floor, and all the way down the hall. Also, some of the rooms look out onto an ugly lot (versus over the lush pool area), so be sure to try and specify that you want to look over the pool area as well.

The bathrooms were fairly large and nice - all marble, and the beds were very comfortable. The lobby was simple and nice, and the pools were great - definitely nicer than the Hyatt's. Bottom line: you will love the Radisson. It's not the Four Seasons or the Ritz, but it's very nice.

If you can, go during the off-season; it was so nice to have very little crowds when we went. I can't imagine it being crowded; it would definitely not be a good vacation with a ton of people at these resorts.

A quick tip: you may want to consider renting a car at the airport, because they are only $30/day, versus getting a taxi to the hotel (approx. $22). It's worth having a car for a day or two to check out the town and sights anyway...

• Stayed November 2005

Been to Radisson Aruba Resort, Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!