“Enjoyable honeymoon stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Aruba Resort, Casino & Spa

Save Saved
You added Radisson Aruba Resort, Casino & Spa to your Saves list
Radisson Aruba Resort, Casino & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 81, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Family Time this Summer
New York, NY
“Enjoyable honeymoon stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed here October 2013 for our honeymoon.

Pros: As recommended by other TA reviewers, we mentioned we were HMers and received a bottle of complimentary Champagne sent to our room (after a couple of friendly reminders to the front desk during the week). It's also worth mentioning we received two $50 credits to use at local restaurants near the hotel. We used ours at Ruinas Del Mar (at the Hyatt) the first night, which was well worth it. It appeared the credits were issued by the Aruba Tourism department, so it might be worth asking if any restaurant credits are available when you visit.

Other Pros: Adequate, clean room; gorgeous beach/water as well as pool; mostly friendly staff; relatively easy check-in process; close to other hotels/restaurants/activities within walking or short cab distance; able to get a palapa all five days we stayed without paying to reserve one (after 4 pm each day, people line up to reserve palapas for the following day--we just waited out the crowd and went at like 4:30 and there were plenty left); we enjoyed massages at the spa with their $89/50 min weekday deal; other clientele staying there (mostly) were respectful of others at the beach, save for a large, loud group on Thu-Fri there for a wedding (we moved over to another palapa that day, as the beach is basically self-policing with no rules against noise or smoking cigarettes/cigars).

Cons: While drinks were reasonably priced and tasty ($9 for cocktails and $6 for beers, with a 2-for-1 happy hour from 4-6 every day), the restaurants at the hotel itself didn't impress us. We did a $22 breakfast buffet (decent meal but too pricey for breakfast--who can eat $22 worth of breakfast foods?) and then sit-down meals at Castaways for breakfast ($11-12) each day after that. (We did lunch once at Castaways, which was adequate for our first meal after landing in Aruba on Day 1.) We didn't have dinner at the Radisson during our five-night stay (they do have a restaurant, but we didn't think the seating was near enough to the beach to make it worth trying).

Also: when you review your bill at the end of your stay, check it twice. We found that each day we were charged $3 for "Environmental Levy" and $1 for a children's charity we'd never heard of. The front desk waived both fees after we asked them to (we would have wanted to vet any charity we donated to, and didn't like the way Radisson snuck it in there).

All in all we felt Radisson was a good value if you're more concerned with lounging and drinking at the beach than eating your meals at the hotel. We would consider staying at Radisson again, but may also consider some of the runners up we passed on the first time in the Palm-Eagle Beach area.

P.S. There's an awesome orange cat that hangs out by Castaways, particularly in the mornings. If you see him, say hi for us.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark F, General Manager at Radisson Aruba Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. Congratulations. Thank you too for the detail, there are certainly some things we can tidy up and we appreciate your thoughts. Hopefully you will look at us again for a follow up stay. You can always contact me directly to do so.

mark.lyttleton-frances@radisson.com

2,312 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
Smithtown, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This was our 4th trip to Aruba, but our 1st stay at the Radisson. As we have done in the past, we booked our trip through Guy Gemore at MCM Tours (a/k/a Player's Choice) in March 2013. When I told him that we would be celebrating our "37th" Anniversary and my husband's "67th" Birthday during our stay and would like a room with a nice view of the ocean, he suggested a "Deluxe" Ocean View Room in the Aruba Tower, which was the most expensive category and ended up costing us $400 more per person than the standard "Guestroom" would have cost us. I requested a "Deluxe" (EVEN #) room on a "Higher" Floor (6th Floor) - closest to the "Beach" end (1618 - 1616 -1614) of the building. Our reservation confirmation stated: "Deluxe Ocean View - Aruba Tower - 37th Anniversary", but said nothing about "6th" Floor or "Beach" end as I had requested, and left that entirely up to us upon check-in.

I took the advice of other TA members and sent an email to both Germaine Wever, Guest Relations Manager, and Mark Frances, General Manager, 10 days prior to our arrival to request 6th Floor - Aruba Tower - either 1618 - 1616 - 1614. Germaine responded that she had our room reservation in for a "Deluxe Ocean View in the Aruba Tower" and she and Mark would do their utmost to have one of the requested rooms (1618 - 1616 - 1614) assigned to us. I also sent Germaine another email a few days prior to our arrival to remind her that we would be arriving on 8/26 and were looking forward to meeting her in person.

Upon check-in on 8/26/13, I was advised that we were assigned to Room 1308 in the Aruba Tower, even though the reservation form Louella was holding stated that we were to be assigned to Room 1614 (which is on the 6th floor) - not 1308 (which is on the 3rd floor). Room 1308 is not closer to the "Beach" end - is not on a "Higher" floor - is the total opposite of what I had requested. The 3rd floor is directly above Sunset Grille and, in addition to the "Deluxe" Ocean View being blocked by the roof of Mira Solo Martini Bar, that particular room also overlooks the roofs of smaller structures close to the Main Lobby instead of the tropical pool grounds the rooms closer to the "beach" end overlook. Room 1308 should not be classified as "Deluxe" at all. When I told Louella that Room 1308 was not acceptable to us because I already knew that the view was less than "Deluxe", which is what we paid for, and we requested to be on a "higher" floor and not a "lower" floor, she called Rosita over to speak to us, who in turn spoke to the Manager (I am not sure which Manager she spoke to), and offered us Room 1716, which is on the 7th Floor of the Aruba Tower. She told us that Room 1716 had 2 "Queen-Size" Beds instead of a "King-Size" Bed as we had requested, which would have been acceptable had they really been "Queen-Size" instead of only 2 "Doubles". We only found this out upon entering our room and by then we were exhausted from transporting our luggage by ourselves because no one at the Front Desk even bothered to offer us any assistance, despite the fact that we are a couple in our late 60s. I found this to be rather disrespectful and not the best way to welcome a "1st" time visitor if you would like them to return in the future.

Needless to say, after paying the top price for a "Deluxe" Room, and reminding them well in advance of our arrival of our request, we were given a choice of either a room with a "terrible" view for a premium price or that of either being cramped sharing one "Double" bed or sleeping separately, which is not the best way to celebrate your Anniversary.

Manager's Cocktail Party: We attended the Manager's Cocktail Party on Wednesday, 8/28, but were unable to stay for the entire time due to our dinner reservations. I wanted to meet Germaine and Mark to address the above issues. I was told that neither of them were in attendance - Germaine was on vacation - Mark had a doctor's appointment = Manager's Cocktail Party with no Guest Relations Manager or General Manager = very interesting.

While standing on the balcony of our room getting ready to go out to dinner, my husband heard his name being called as the winner of a "Couples Massage", but could not collect it as he had to be present to win. Another name was picked and it was given to someone else instead.

Casino: Upon check-in we were supposed to be given $200.00 Match Play to be used in the Radisson Casino. The Casino Host (Orlando) was only willing to give us $100.00 because he claimed that was all we were entitled to. When we told him that Guy Gemore of MCM Tours told us that we were entitled to $200.00 Match Play when we made our reservations, he told us that Guy tells everyone that so they think they are getting a better deal than they really are and that is the way he does business. However, Orlando told us that if we provide him with a copy of our confirmation, he would be glad to give us the additional $100.00. We went to the Front Desk, but no one could help us as everyone had already gone for the day.

Since our return to New York, as a result of reading additional comments regarding Radisson Aruba on TA, it appears that most people who book the Radisson, especially those who go through MCM Tours (a/k/a Player's Choice), book the standard "guestroom" (cheapest category), and when they check-in and are not satisfied with the location of their room, which is usually on the ground floor of the Curacao Tower facing the Riu Palace, they are offered an "upgrade" to a higher category room for an additional charge. I believe that may have been exactly what happened to us. Radisson gave the room that was supposed to be assigned to us (1614) to someone else who was willing to "upgrade" from a "standard "guestroom". Now that room was no longer available to us so they offered us whatever else they had available, regardless of whether or not it was what we had requested. We met another couple who booked a standard "guestroom" (cheapest) room through MCM Tours and were offered a room on the 4th Floor (TOP) of the Bonaire Tower with a view of the ocean at no additional charge.

I guess that's the way the Radisson does business - offer an "upgrade" to someone who was only willing to pay the "cheapest" price hoping for a "FREE" upgrade, and then offering someone who was willing to pay the HIGHEST price to begin with less than what they paid for.

Maybe I should have been informed by MCM Tours that this is the way Radisson Aruba operates at the time I made my reservations and I may have been better off with more $$ in my pocket.

Room Tip: The best rooms are the Deluxe Ocean View (EVEN #) in the Aruba Tower (1618 - 1602) which overlook th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark F, General Manager at Radisson Aruba Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We were in fact 'notified' by Players Choice that this review would be forthcoming. I appreciate the time that you have taken to write your comments. I receive 20-30 emails a week requesting specific floors, specific rooms etc. I respond to all in the very same way, and this is, that we will do what we can. At no point was there ever a guarantee given to you that you would get the specific room requested, and this is evident by the fact that even Players Choice noted this on their confirmation to you. In fact our Deluxe Ocean View category stretches across a number of floors. The hotel is extremely busy year round with occupancies in excess of 90% daily during the summer, and this is why we just cannot assign rooms in advance to specific guests. Had we had a King Bed on a higher floor available, we most certainly would have offered this to you, and not the two Queens as described. Finding that exact balance is difficult, particularly when the hotel is full with Club Carlson members and multi repeat guests. We do the best we can to give you the room category booked, which I believe in this case we did.

Having said all of this, I am sorry that the initial room assigned did not have the view you had expected, however room 1716 has a spectacular view, and I hope made up for the inconvenience.

I note your interest in the fact that I was not present at the cocktail on this particular day, and although my medical situation would be a private affair, I am sure that guests would not have appreciated having me in attendance after a minor surgical procedure. Our Director of Operations was there however and would gladly have had a chat with you. I was available for all other parts of your stay, and would have welcomed any conversation at your leisure. It is a shame that you didn't make contact at the time.

I'm sorry that you were not present to collect your raffle prize, however the whole point of the cocktail party is to bring guests together, and prizes are raffled to those present at the time.

I'm not sure about $200 in casino vouchers, I certainly have no recollection of this offer being available over the period you stayed, and I would suggest that you take this up directly with your Travel Agent, especially as this was done verbally.

I am not sure where the free upgrade comments come from, however I am sure that if this is the case, then these folks would have been Club Carlson members who qualify for one based on availability. Free upgrades are very rare, and usually offered when the hotel has the space to do so, as mentioned above the hotel was almost at capacity during your stay, and a free upgrade would not have been available i'm afraid.

I am sorry again that we failed to meet your expectation, and would be happy to take up your situation personally. Please do not hesitate to contact me on mark.lyttleton-frances@radisson.com

Markham, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Resort is in the perfect location on the beach and for restaurants on the strip. The property is well maintained and all of the staff we came in contact with were helpful, attentive and polite. A perfect vacation!!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are lucky to have such a great staff and we look forward to welcoming you back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful vacation at the Radisson in Aruba. Everything and more than I expected from the ease of check in to the moment we left. Special request that I asked for was meet without any resistance. The room in the Curacao tower was a little on the small side but we didn't spend much time there. We didn't throw any big parties so it was just fine. The beach and pool just perfect. We have stayed at the Occidental and the Hyatt in the past, when we return it will be the RADISSON.

Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing us. I am happy to hear that you had a great stay and have decided to come back and stay with us again.

Midlothian, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Will defiantly go back. They went above my expectation's. Room prefect ,service prefect, staff awesome grounds were beautiful. Looked at all the other resorts in area and the Radisson was the best.The beach was perfect. Only one vendor and that was the aloe man.

Room Tip: Room #2419 best view ever
Dear Guest,

Thank you. Glad to hear you're coming back. We look forward to seeing you again in Aruba.

Cape Girardeau, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We just returned from a 6 day stay at this resort. The grounds are gorgeous, our room was spotless clean and in excellent condition. (The resort had been renovated within the last two years) All the staff were friendly and took good care of us. We love relaxing and sunbathing around the pool area but if you prefer the beach, their large clean white-sand beach has lots of palapas and plenty of lounging chairs.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us. We do work hard to keep the resort looking in shape, and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our hospitality.

Hope to see you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We love staying at the Radisson we haven't been back to Aruba in 22 years we've travel at least twice a year my wife and myself throughout Mexico and the Caribbean we cannot get over how perfect the weather in Aruba was after experiencing so many trips to mexico and other parts of the Caribbean in. Nelson Winklarr the manager of the hotel made our stay very pleasurable throughout the whole 9 days that we were there he would go above and beyond which we were very pleased and also let me add that Angie the supervisor with activities I reserve the hut on the beach a month in advance with her and she was right on top of everything on All my needs from day to day I have to add that she's is a very caring employee, not think to go above and beyond which is hard to find in a lot of resorts, can't wait to get bac

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am really pleased to hear that you had such a great time, and in particular that Nelson was able to make your stay an excellent one. We do appreciate the review and look forward to seeing you back at the resort.

Mark Frances

Been to Radisson Aruba Resort, Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!