“Nice hotel POOR service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Aruba Resort, Casino & Spa

Save Saved
You added Radisson Aruba Resort, Casino & Spa to your Saves list
Radisson Aruba Resort, Casino & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   J.E. Irausquin Boulevard 81, Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Family Time this Summer
Pompano Beach, Florida
“Nice hotel POOR service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Nice Hotel not too nice people, on the contrary, it felt as if you had to ask for big favors ! The lady at the Reception, (think her name was Rosita) gave us our room as expected, however my two boys had reserved Ocean View and didn't get it, and she didn't want to make any effort finding one or reducing the difference. It took hours!! And with such an attitude!!! breakfast buffet was awful, however the one near the Beach Pavillion was nice and A La Carte although very very slow. Drink services at the beach depended a lot on the mood of the employee, so we got lucky with a very friendly guy from Ecuador but no so much with a lady who seemed to hate tourists and her job! Also Beach Menu isn't either creative or appealing. boring after two days. Loved the Hotel premises and gardens though! Nice tropical feeling, very open and airy. Too bad service is not their priority

Room Tip: Nice Hotel not too nice people, on the contrary, it felt as if you had to ask for big favors ! The l...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
apv567, Director of Sales at Radisson Aruba Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
We are sorry that our service did not meet your expectations. I would be happy to discuss more details - my contact information is 972-850-9807 or arianne.valentino@radisson.com. Our goal is 100% satisfaction.

Arianne Valentino, Director Sales & Marketing

2,311 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The largest landscaped courtyard on Palm Beach, largest pool areas and beach, one can always find a chair (and your pool boy-blue shirt will move it and set up your towel for you) and the beach girls-orange shirt take drink orders on the beach or by the pools.
The rooms are well appointed(just like the photos), lots of pillows,free wi-fi, had a great sleep on their firm bed, the showers have great pressure, I asked for a late check-out and got 6pm check-out, and when I asked for more towels-housekeeping they got it to me in under 5 minutes.
Great Service Radisson!
They could have more gifts shops, but what for-because there are many shop and restaurants directly across the street.
I received a $100 gift voucher from the Radisson. Used it to buy breakfast $11(~$13 with service charge) but the potatoes had skins on them, which is not Gut-friendly(potatoes skins were in during the 90's but now it it all about the gut sensitives).
Potatoes on the island are either frozen, pre-cooked or powder.

Remember Aruba is expensive .

Recommend: try "Scott's Brats" open 8:30 to 3pm, their egg/cheese/ham muffin is $4 and breakfast burrito is $5, and no tax or service charge. They are a 5 minute walk: follow the sidewalk next to the sand(Boardwalk) starting in in front of Larimar Spa and continue past 3 hotels over to Playa Linda, it is a small stand right again the sidewalk.
Recommend: bring "medicated Solarcaine" it has saved me many a vacation. When one burns or has a bug bite, Solarcaine will numb it, but it gets better, apply when you notice you are burnt and then reapply it it still hurts at bed time, it does heal faster and it prevents me from peeling. I have been called a lobster many times but I was saved by using Solarcaine and I was able to go out in the Sun the next day.
Recommend: Off-roading: rent a Jeep ($90 for soft top, $125 for hard top) gas should cost $40 and off-road in the Park one can drive to Natural Pool among other site in the Park, or go to the the Northern tip and catch the sunset (either at the Lighthouse) or along the sand road off JE Irausquin Blvd. Off-roading is more comfortable in a car, rather then in the back of a Jeep Tour.

NO detailed maps for Aruba available,they have so many dirt roads; BUT use Google maps,download them to your phone and have your phone GPS track you (your phone can be turn-off from receiving calls) so you don't get lost.

Cheers!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
We appreciate your comments and agree that we grounds, beach and pool area are outstanding. Happy you were able to use the $100 Resort Credit voucher – and we will review your comment on potatoes skins.
Arianne Valentino, Director Sales and Marketing
Stamford CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I went to the Radisson in November for the 6th year in a row. We just love everything about it. It is in a great location, the beach is the best of all the high rise hotels, it is not crowded and easy to get a palapa and you don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to reserve one.

I think people that criticize the Radisson either were very unlucky or just impossible to please. In my 6 trips there I have not really had anything to complain about. The hotel employees range from very nice and friendly to indifferent, I have never come across one I thought was rude. It is unrealistic to expect everyone to always act like they are thrilled to see you. On the last trip I went to the elevator to go to the beach and there was a cleaning lady with her cart that was also going down on the elevator. When the elevator came there was not enough room for both of us to get on and she said "you are the guest you go"...not a big deal but I thought it was nice of her.

On a Saturday at around 4pm the handle on the toilet broke, I called the front desk and someone was up to fix it in less than 30 minutes. We were getting ready to go out to dinner so we asked if he could come back later. He didn't, which we really didn't expect since it was almost 5 pm on a Saturday and we could live with the broken handle. The next morning around 8 am we reminded the front desk about the problem and there was someone there to fix it in less than 10 minutes...on a Sunday morning.

A previous reviewer complained about the people from the cruise ships. I think I may have been there the same day he/she was. The beaches in Aruba are public so anyone can use them and some of the people from the cruises end up at the Radisson beach. Some days there are none, most days when there are cruise ships in port there are some that rent umbrellas and chairs and can block the views of people staying at the hotel. Usually it is just a minor annoyance but they normally leave early afternoon to get back to the ship so it is not a big deal. Well one day I counted roughly 40 rented umbrellas from the cruise ships which was way more than I had ever seen before so the beach was much more crowded than I had ever seen. We just moved down about 100 ft when we went in the water to get away from them...no big deal. And they were all gone by 2pm or so.

Aruba is expensive and so is the Radisson but that is pretty well known. I have no sympathy for anyone that does not do their research and complains about the cost after the fact.

Gilligan's is great for a nice casual lunch and we had a great dinner at Sunset Grille. We had not eaten there in several years for some reason but we really had a good meal. Yes it was expensive but it is Aruba and worth it in my opinion.

Do I think everything at the Radisson is perfect? No of course not. I don't like the bathroom design, the shower is awkward to get into and the bathroom doors are not the best. In prior years we were not allowed to check in before 4 pm...this year was no problem checking in at around 2 pm.

My bottom line is that if you can not enjoy the Radisson then I don't know where you could go that is better. We will be booking our trip there next year soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the fact that you took time to write such a detailed review. You are correct the beaches are public in Aruba and we do our best to ensure our guests have an enjoyable beach vacation. We look forward to your return for your 7th time.
Arianne Valentino, Director Sales and Marketing
Wanamassa, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My stay at the Aruba Radisson was absolutely spectacular. The staff is second to none, from Grace at the reception desk to Rosa and Theo at the Laguna Restaurant, to Louisa of the housekeeping staff. Each and every one of them could not have been more helpful. We first stayed at the property in 1974 when it was the Aruba Caribbean hotel. We returned in 2004 and have been coming back almost every year since. The one thing that brings us back is the consistency in the accomodations, service and attentiveness of the staff. At the Radisson you don't have to get up at 5:30 am reserve your palapa on the beach. At 4 in the afternoon you get on line, a short one, and pick your spot for the next day. The biggest improvement I saw this year from last year is the availiability of WiFi access the rooms. The property is lush with vegetition and it is truly a tropical paradise. There is no question in my mind that we will returning next year. In 2 years it will be 40 years since my wife and I spent our honeymoon in Aruba. Maybe we will take our family there and renew our vows.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
apv567, Director of Sales at Radisson Aruba Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay. We will be sure to let Grace, Rosa, Theo and Louisa know of your positive comments. We recently installed WiFi in all the rooms and public areas as a result of guest feedback.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for a 40 years renewal of vows. Lisa Dammerman is our Bridal Specialist and can help answer any questions.
We look forward to seeing you next year
Warm Regards
Arianne Valentino, Director of Sales & Marketing
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I am not sure I have ever stayed at a Radisson before, but it was incredible! The rooms are so nice, newly renovated and comfortable. The resort is located on a beautiful beach and across the street from some great restaurants and evening entertainment. Their spa is so nice, big and new! Great pool ..really everything was nice. I looked at all of the hotels in Aruba and I would say that the Radisson and the Hyatt are hands down the best options.

Room Tip: I would ask to be in the Aruba Tower and if you want to splurge spend the money on the concierge lev...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We receive many comments on beach and location- in fact many guests feel that the Radisson has the best beach. Also thank you for commenting on our rooms as all 355 have been recently renovated.
Arianne Valentino, Director of Sales and Marketing
Mount Kisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This was my fifth Aruba vacation and second stay at the Radisson, the first being almost eight years ago. My, how things have changed! In 2004 the Radisson was the clear winner among the high rises. The competition has become fierce, however, and one would think everyone would step up their games. Not so. It's clear that the once-impeccible grounds and beach have taken a hit. Here are some of the shortcomings of my most recent stay:

The grounds are not unkempt, however it is not the perfectly manicured and groomed property it once was. I observed several minor maintenance issues, though they did not detract from our stay.

We reserved a room with a king bed, yet were given twins. We switched to a room two doors down the next day. No big deal.

The remote for the king size AeroBed was malfunctioning and difficult to use. I did not report the issue.

A dead bird appeared right next to the walk at the outdoor elevator lobby and remained there for two days until we reported it. We reserved a beach umbrella one day and found the area littered with lipstick-stained cigarette butts. There was also an empty beer bucket stuffed up in the umbrella. Though still a beautiful resort, the goundskeeping was definitely not up to par.

The pool cabana rental ($25) on another day was a complete bust, as it turns out the cabanas are favored by both cigar smokers and families with young, screaming children. Also, one of the zippers for the side closures was broken and would not allow us to block out the cigar smoke from our neighbor. The coup de grace was the fact that the cabanas surround the pool that seems to attract the kids. Heads up.

Some of the same things that personalize this resort can also become annoyances. Take the pool area; the beautiful and entertaining parrots are quite loud in and can be heard over headphones and inside the rooms with doors/windows closed. Poolside Bingo and music-driven exercise classes disrupt the otherwise tranquil afternoons. Happy Hour at Gilligans runs daily from 4 to 6 and features live music. While far from a Spring Break blowout, I was surprised by the amount of activity at the lagoon-like pools.

The concierge staff refused to book our prepaid airport return transfer for anything that would not allow for at least three hours at the airport. This forced us to leave the hotel at 1:30 for a 5:40 flight, then sit around for more than two hours at the gate. There was some traffic, and customs is slow, but you need no more than two hours to get through it all. Do yourself a favor and forgo the prepaid transfers - a taxi ride to the airport is ~$25 with tip and well worth it.

The breakfast buffet was excellent in 2004. Unfortunately, the new casino took about 2/3 of the space previously alotted for the restaurant. The new buffet area is not unlike the free breakfast you might encounter at a Quality Inn. For $25+ a head you will be disappointed and quickly figure out that the walk across the beach to Dunkin' Donuts or across the street to Five Burgers is well worth it.

We called down at 8am on departure day and requested a 1pm checkout. It was granted. The room phone rang at 12:15. The employee asked if we had a late checkout, and if so, for what time.

The itemized food/beverage bill was incomprehensible. The staff explained that they "break up" the charges to better suit the allowance credited on our account. With no receipts from the bars/restaurants we were left to accept this explanation. Beware.

Despite all these negatives, I give the overall experience an average rating based on the friendly staff, clean rooms, excellent beach, and convenient location. I'll be back to Aruba but may try another place next time.

Room Tip: Ask for the Aruba tower if possible.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This was our fourth time at this resort, the first in the late fall/early winter. We greatly enjoyed our stay here, except as noted by the beach situation below. The weather was great, except for a few passing storms and even then the skies cleared up. The resort itself is beautiful, with parrots, iguanas, and fish (a great favorite of ours). Service is excellent and the our room was always clean and in great shape. The breakfast package is ideal and the breakfast restaurant is located near the fish pond, which is fantastic. We spent the majority of our time on the beach, which is generally very clean and well maintained. As others have mentioned the Palapa system requires you to stand in line, often at 3:30 PM or earlier to get an ocean-view space. The view was amazing and the ocean warm and beautiful.

Unfortunately, for three days during our stay cruise ships would discharge dozens of passengers and send them to the Radisson beach where vendors would place rows of umbrellas in front of us. An entire side of the beach was filled with noisy, inconsiderate people from the ship who would block out access to the waterfront. What is the point of standing in line to get a beach front Palapa if you are going to be behind two rows of people not even from the hotel? Many people during our stay complained that this was extremely inconsiderate and irresponsible on the part of the hotel, since the cruise people seemed to be exclusively concentrated en masse on the Radisson beach. Although in the past some people have come to visit the beach, it has never been in such numbers. Even though the beaches are "public," clearly the Radisson beach was getting excessive attention by the cruise lines. We did not appreciate paying the hotel for upkeep of the beach so that 30 + people could come lie in front of us.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Radisson Aruba Resort, Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!