“Decent Steak, Great Service!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Boston, Massachusetts
“Decent Steak, Great Service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We ate at L.G. Smith's most nights and really enjoyed the three-course meal. The portions were perfectly sized and we loved the variety. The wine was great, and the dessert (apple pie a la mode) was even better. I loved the views from the restaurant as well; if you sit near the windows you can watch cruise ships come in and out of port.

Visited October 2013

Lexington, Kentucky
“Just Ok”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We were expecting something very delicious and felt it was just hotel banquet food at best. I wouldn't go back, although the staff were very friendly.

Visited July 2014
ArubaHospitality, Director of Operations at L.G. Smith's Steak and Chop House, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Brittany,

Appreciate your feedback & regret that we were not able exceed your expectations inspite of multiple restaurants & Food & Beverage outlets spread all across our Resort which ranges from fine dining to casual.
Hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back & show you around our spread out Resort which offers multiple international cuisine.

Regards
Parimal Trivedi
Akron, Ohio
“Great Summer Menu - Brews and Bones”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We decided to try this restaurant since we were in Orangestad and had a good meal here 5 years ago on our last visit to Aruba. The décor is unchanged with a modern, simple look to it. The hostess, Heidi, prepared a table to us near the window (the restaurant overlooks the main street, LG Smith, and the water.) I mentioned that we were celebrating our 26 wedding anneversarty when I asked for a table. Heidi was nice enough to offer us a complementary glass of champagne to celebrate. She provided two menus and the wine list. One menu was a special feature (Bones and Brews) which provides options for an entire meal, appetizers, main course with side options and deserts for $99. This was of interest to us so we asked Heidi about it and she suggested the pork chop as the appetizer and the tomahawk steak as the main course. We decided to go with her recommendations. I ordered the smoked pork chop and my wife had the stuffed squash blossom for appetizers, tomahawk steak (32 oz), paparadelle pasta with truffle sauce for our sides. I was expecting a small taste of pork with mango salsa, but got a pork chop large enough for a substantial main course. The smoke flavor was excellent. My wife liked her stuffed blossom, but liked my chop better. We were enjoying our meal very well when the tomahawk arrived! It was massive! (See my photo) It had a nice char on the outside, but still pink inside for me. A separate area was prepared for my wife as medium well and she loved it. The presentation was great since they cut the steak and cooked each piece to our desire, then served it together so we got the effect of seeing as one huge steak. It was the best steak I have ever had. Between the two of us, we consumed the entire thing it was so good. For desert, we asked to box the tiramisu and we ordered a chocolate torte with ice cream and berries to eat there. The desert was plated specially for us with a happy anniversary message on the decorated plate. (See the photo). If you like rich chocolate, dense cake, you will like this desert. Even though we were full, it was great to have this to finish our meal. Another surprise I had was that the mixed drinks were only$7.50 for a large drink. This is excellent for Aruba. I recommend the Mojito. It was yummy. In our two weeks in Aruba, it was our best meal and we returned about a week later and ordered the same, except we both got the pork chop the second time! I would also suggest Andre as the waiter if he is available. One last treat was that with each meal, you get a $5 free play at the casino next to the restaurant and after we played for a while we took home $15!

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
York, United Kingdom
“Superb first dinner let down by a return visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We visited L.G. Smiths as we were taking part in the AGA Dine-Around package. The restaurant is based upstairs in the Renaissance hotel mall, next to the Crystal Casino, and overlooks the main road in Oranjestad. For those dining on the Dine-Around package, there's a special menu - though it offers very good value compared to some of the others on the programme. You can also order from the main menu and get a $40 credit per person.

Our first visit was absolutely superb and a lot of this was credit to our waiter Andrey, who was incredibly friendly, completely attentive, and made us feel like highly valued customers. Our table was towards the end of the restaurant, so it was peaceful, with only other couples nearby.

The wine list was incredibly comprehensive, particularly as far as red wines were concerned. We chose two glasses (reasonably priced, by Aruban standards), and received large glasses - making it cheaper to buy by the glass than bottle! The wine was very good and complimented the steaks well.

Starters were fresh and tasty, and generously sized without being huge. Though they had nothing on the EXCELLENT steaks - I ordered a sirloin 'baseball' and my wife had a fillet steak - both were absolutely delicious and of a perfect texture. Medium came out closer to medium-rare, so may be worth moving up a notch from what you're used to.

Desserts, tea, and coffee were also provided and these were also very good. This was one of the few restaurants where we could fit everything in - the portion sizes were just right.

To top it all off, when you eat at LG Smiths you get $5 each free play in the casino next door, which we played through and made a tidy profit!

Our first experience was so good that we decided to return on our second to last night on the island. Unfortunately, this was let down by slow (and less friendly) service, and the fact that we were seated next to a long noisy table - not what we wanted while enjoying a romantic honeymoon meal. The large table also seemed to suck away most of our waiter's attention, and he forgot to bring the steak sauces that we'd received on our first visit and took some time in coming to collect our plates and offer dessert. The food was nearly as good as the first time round, though (having learnt from our previous visit), when we ordered a medium-well steak, it still arrived fairly rare. We didn't send it back due to how long we'd waited for it to arrive!

All in all, I'd recommend a visit, particularly if you're on the dine-around programme. But visit on a quieter midweek day rather than a weekend, and ask not to be sat near any large tables if you're planning on a romantic dinner for two! And fingers crossed, Andrey will be serving you - he really was excellent.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Louisville, Kentucky
“Confirmed Awesomely Good Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

June 2014 was my second time enjoying the amazing meal prepared at this very classy eatery. I have been to Aruba for more than 12 consecutive years and I only decided to dine at this great location June 2013.
My wonderful lady was so excited and fully satisfied by our meal last year 2013 we committed to dining at this location every year we return. June 2014 our meal was no surprise. We enjoyed it just as much as the 1st time. We confirm there's any Excellent staff from the time you enter until the time you roll out while satisfied with every bite.