“4.5 if you visit, 3.5 if you own it” 4 of 5 stars

Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Juancho E. Irausquin Blvd 93, Oranjestad, Aruba   |
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Oranjestad
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“4.5 if you visit, 3.5 if you own it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I've been here on two separate occasions now. The first experience rated this a 3 for me. We stayed in a room that was dated and had not yet been renovated. It was on the first floor (noisy) and had a view of the fairway. It was sort of dirty and really needed help.

This time around we stayed in what appears to be a newly renovated unit in a building facing the sea. It's beautiful (for the most part), clean, and spacious. But if I owned it I would be a bit peeved with the construction as it's sort of haphazard. This is a dumb example, but there is a painting in the bathroom that is mounted in such a way that it's not only not centered but it hangs over the receding wall that opens to the shower. It's just dumb and was pure laziness/stupidity. Tiles in the shower are loose, calking isn't done properly in the other bathroom, etc. none of this stuff is a deal breaker for me. I don't own it and it looks very nice from a high level. But if I owned it, there are some clues to some pretty shoddy work.

Beyond that, the location for me can't be beat. Druif beach is easily the best on the island and it's right across the street. Unlike Palm or Eagle which are absolute zoos and have those horrible people who wake up at 5 and 6 am on vacation to put their towels and claim "their" spot on the beach, Druif is usually pretty quiet and is beautiful. On a side note, the world would be a better place without those towel people. I loathe their existence.

It's about a 15 min drive to downtown. There are two supermarkets down the street within walking distance. The resort is quiet and I've for the most part found the staff friendly and accommodating. Though some are a bit gruff.

There is one thing that irks the hell out of me tho; the pools close at 9. What's the point of a hot tub in Aruba if you can't use it after dark? Why is there a pool curfew? Am I child who can't handle swimming after dark? It's annoying and if I paid a lot of money to own a place here it would infuriate me, this the 3.5 if I owned it. I get the pools need to be "treated" as a gruff security guard told me. But as far as I know, they don't need to be every night and it would make a helluva lot more sense to rotate and keep at least 1 pool open until 11 or so on a nightly basis.

Can't comment on the restaurants. I have a steep aversion to eating on a resort. I force myself to go out and explore other options. The sea breeze bar has a happy hoe everyday, 2 for 1. It not what I'm in to. the drinks are sugary boxed fruit juice well drinks in lunch room plastic cups. Some people don't mind or even like that sort of thing, I'm not one of them.

I'll always come back here tho. Love the location, the new rooms are very nice, and Druif beach is my favorite spot. If you're smart enough to avoid the high rises, this is your choice.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Not like the Divi Phoenix resort that we had stayed before was a little disappointed in the sleeping room was very dirty and old looking not very impressed and the bathroom was very small and worn. We ended up going to the Phoenix during the day and staying there at their pools which were much nicer. I did love Aruba and defintely will go back but I would not stay at the Divi Dutch Village Resort. First all when we got there they drove us on carts and our luggage fell off twice then the bell person dropped us off on the wrong location so we had to walk. Then the room was on the second floor so we had to carry our luggage two flights of steps. Not happy at all with the situation.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Shakopee, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

My wife, her family and I stayed at the Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort last week. We had a 2 bedroom Condo on the 3rd floor with a perfect view of the pool and Sea. Place was clean and quiet unlike the High Rise area with only a short walk to the beach. We very much enjoyed Cynthia at the concierge desk. Always had a smile on her face and waved to us when we walked into the main lobby. The food was really good at each restaurant, but would recommend paying the extra fee for Windows (only $35 pp extra from all inclusive fee). This was hands down the best meal. Impeccable food and service. The Sea Breeze was nice for breakfast, although one of the staff members was constantly slow, rude and not much help. Past her, everything else was great. A lot of shops on the sister properties and bar service was great. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 3rd floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

My wife and I are owners at this resort. We have been there 3 times now and overall our stay is good. The biggest problems are the quality of construction, and staff is always on "island time." What I mean by island time is they are slow. It always takes 30 min or so to check in. If you call about a maintenance issue don't expect someone there for atleast a couple of hours, and more then likely they will forget but say "O yeah he is on his way." I give the example of maintenance because the construction quality is bad. Little details like caulk around the tub, are forgotten, and now that leads to soggy drywall. I could give more examples but then this review would be so long no one would read it.
So after all of that why do I still rate this a 3. It because it does have alot going for it. The pool is awesome, very good restaurants on site, along with a great golf course. They also have an all inclusive option that is $100 a day per person and that includes all your meals and drinks (not top shelf), and free golf if you play after 3 or 4, and discounted rates if you want to play earlier. The all inclusive gives you the option of 10 or more restaurants along with another 5 or so bars. This place seems to never be over crowed like the high rise resorts. Overall, I wish some changes would be made to make this place one of the best, but for right now it is just average.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hudson, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Just back from Aruba (4/12/2014) we stayed at the Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort. We had a 1 bedroom Condo on the 3rd floor. Nice view of the pool. Place was clean and quiet. Short walk to the beach. The only negative was the wind at the beach. Not the usual 10-12 mile an hour more like constant 35 -40 for the week. Other than that everything was perfect.

Room Tip: If you are into the beach pick beach side VS golf course side. It shortens the walk to the beach.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We have timeshare in Aruba in the high rise area and wanted to extend our stay and try the low rise area after hearing how quiet it is. I booked a 1 bedroom unit from a timeshare owner. You are not guaranteed a specific room but the one we had was great. I was a bit nervous at first because it was in the ground floor and also the bedroom was very close to the main road and a busy intersection. In the end, neither of these was a problem!!!!! Other than Flag day, we never heard any road noise and walking out to our patio with the pool right there was super. It was also a very short walk to the beach.
There was plenty of security walking around the resort and parking areas. We never felt unsafe during or stay. The maid service was great and again no problems. Sorry to hear that another person had such a bad time with them.

This resort has 3 sections each with pool. You are not right on the beach but you can't get much closer!!! The Divi Tam is located along the beach in front of the Dutch Village. Because we had been to Aruba for a couple weeks, we weren't too worried about having a chickie all day everyday. Some days we could get one at 7 am and other days it wasn't until 11 am. It wasn't an issue. We did see a few people that had ground floor units at the Tam leave their towels on the chairs and stay up on their patios for hours. Not really fair to others.
We did not do the AI. Too many great places in Aruba. Every morning they had free coffee at the Tam or the Bunker Bar. It was nice to enjoy that first cup while watching the ocean. This area is also where the cruise ships and planes go by. Made for some great photos.
Overall we really liked the resort! It was quiet, the staff was friendly and helpful, the tram to the casino was great, our unit was spacious and in a great location,(unit 111). We would consider renting here again.
We did have 2 minor problems. The first was that I locked the safe using a different number combo and had to have maintenance come and open it. My own fault!!!!
The second was that Divi locked us out of our gate and room on Sunday(we were leaving Tuesday)even after being told we were all set. More of an inconvenience than anything else as we had to got to the main desk at the Divi Village and get our keys reset.
The only other thing, it would be great if you could lock your balcony door from the outside so you could use it to come and go from the pool and beach. It only locks from the inside so you have to go around and use your key on the main door. Not a big deal but it would have been nice.
If I compared this area of Aruba with the High rise section, I would say that it is much quieter, you need a car or can take the tram to the Alhambra area. There is shopping and restaurants but nothing like on Palm beach. So there are pros and cons to both areas.
We combined a fast paced stay with a slower paced stay and enjoyed them both!!!!!!

Room Tip: I would recommend the last building. There is only one building here compared to 3 in the other sect...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed at the Golf Studios which are indeed spacious and well equiped - BUT the service we experienced over two weeks was unfortunately just plain awful.

The childrens activities: for 3 days, nobody knew where the easteregg hunt would take place, then the location was again changed at the last minute and finally 25 kids had again to wait for 20 minutes as the plain paper bags to collect the eggs in needed to be chauffeured over. Other activities just never happened or locations /sign up were changed without notice - which made for 2 often frustrated kids...

When we needed assistance to call a doctor (during normal daytime office hours, so not an unusual request or an unusual time) , the front desk employees were not helpful at all. After asking to speak to a manager, we then received and ended up chasing a wrong number for 2 hours before we finally resorted to the web to locate a doctor.

Given the price range of the hotel, this kind of service and organization is just not acceptable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!