Having been to Aruba before, we knew that we wanted to stay in the Eagle Beach area this time. Why? Because ugly high-rise hotels strung along Palm Beach just don't fit our image of the Caribbean ( and one of them really is ugly. What were they thinking?) We knew that Eagle, Manchebo and Druif beaches were not only spectacular, but the low-rise hotels were unobtrusive and would never fill with people. We studied the Trip Advisor reviews and concluded that Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort would be one of our top choices if we could get a timeshare exchange. Having secured the exchange, we found we could only get a flight on the day before the start of our week, so I booked an extra night at Divi online and then called the resort to make them aware of the two concurrent bookings and to ask for the same unit for both.
We had read the reviews and were concerned about being put in an unrenovated suite, so I made a point of asking for a renovated one. I have to admit that the polite non-answer did not inspire me with confidence.
So when we arrived, it was no surprise to learn that we had to stay in one unit for the first night and move to another for our week. A nuisance, but not a huge issue until our second fear came true - we found our first night studio suite in a dark damp corner on the first floor looking out onto tennis court screens and netting. And yes, if you've read many other reviews of this resort, you've guessed right - it was a smelly, mouldy 1990s tired unit. OK, it's just for one night, but now we were spooked and concerned about what we might be allocated for the next seven nights. So back to the desk and we start the long process of battling for a renovated unit overlooking the golf course. We're not golfers, but we like the views and the wildlife that can be seen from the balcony.
I must emphasize that at all times the staff were courteous and respectful, but it was just a tiresome and time-wasting exercise negotiating for an acceptable studio. In the end we got a large, renovated studio suite overlooking the golf course and we thoroughly enjoyed our week at this resort. If we had been and given that suite in the first place ( and never been aware of the unrenovated ones), we would have given this resort five stars.
With regard to the resort itself, it was spotlessly clean, like Aruba in general, and we found it well located. It really was no distance from the furthest units on the golf course to the resort centre and the beach. We were surprised to see so many young people using the golf cart shuttle just to go a couple of hundred yards, but we were happy strolling to the resort centre and the extra 100 yards or so along the drive and across the road to the huge, white, beautiful beach.
Our only other comment would be on Mulligans, one of the on-site restaurants. It was OK and convenient, but nothing special. If you like food and regard dining as part of your vacation experience, read the reviews of restaurants and make your choices. There are some truly excellent and memorable restaurants and food to be enjoyed in Aruba.
We like to be mobile, so we rented a car for the week, but there are plenty of taxis and public transport to take you to those great restaurants just minutes away.
We would be happy to return to this Divi, but only with a guarantee of a renovated room with a view.
- Also Known As:
- Divi Village Golf And Beach Hotel Oranjestad
- Divi Village Golf And Beach Hotel
- Divi Village Hotel And Beach
- Divi Village Resort And Beach
- Divi Village Aruba
- Divi Village Golf And Beach Resort Aruba/Oranjestad
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This beautiful all-suite resort offers guests over-sized studio, one- and two-bedroom suites with fully equipped kitchens perfect for both couples and families. Amenities include 9-hole golf course and clubhouse, 3 freshwater swimming pools, tennis courts, water sports center, 3 restaurants, fitness center, and complimentary transportation to the Alhambra Casino. A wide, white sand beach is just steps across the street. An all inclusive program is available sharing amenities with the neighboring Divi Resorts. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Venere, Olotels, EasyToBook, Priceline, Tingo, Hotels.com and HotelsClick so you can book your Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.