Let’s get this out of the way – Divi Dutch Village is a clean and completely serviceable hotel choice for Aruba. But bargain hunters may soon realize that spending a bit more on other accommodations may save hassle and nickel-and-diming down the road.
Firstly, Divi Dutch Village is primarily time-shares. The upside of this is that most rooms have full kitchens. The downside is that normal hotel service is almost non-existent. For example, while housekeeping keeps an acceptable level of cleanliness, be prepared for your room to be made up late – as in 3pm. And also be prepared for your sheets to have holes in them (seriously).
Because of the odd arrangement of the Divi complex (Divi Corp seems to own half of Aruba), be ready to drag your suitcases across Irasquin Boulevard to check in at Divi Beach Resort.
Competition for palapas (beachside huts) is fierce due to the small number of huts available for all of Divi Dutch Village’s rooms. Best get up by 6am to secure a hut…and try to avoid the huts near the highway, unless you enjoy hearing trucks downshift as you sip your mai tai.
Also be advised that the less-than-friendly beach staff will kick you off the beach before the sun has set.
Happy Hour at Divi Dutch is anything but. In fact, the Bunker Bar – the closest bar on the beach – doesn’t even have a happy hour. Well drinks are $7.50. Instead, pick up a couple bottles of Palmera Rum at the supermarket and make your own cocktails.
There’s also no free wi-fi. Instead it’ll cost you $15 for 1.5 hours. In fact, it seems that Divi Dutch Village finds a way to charge its customers for almost anything. Need your in-room safe reset? $100, please.
Ultimately, what was most distressing about staying at Divi Dutch Village is how none of the hotel staff seemed to care about our stay. The only time anyone asked how our stay was going was when I received a sales call at 9:30am, as part of an unsolicited pitch to purchase a time-share.
The bottom line: While Divi Dutch Village may seem like a deal, you’ll pay for it in the end.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This beautiful all-suite resort offers guests over-sized studio, one- and two-bedroom suites with fully equipped kitchens perfect for both couples and families. Amenities include 9-hole golf course and clubhouse, 3 freshwater swimming pools, tennis courts, water sports center, 3 restaurants, fitness center, and complimentary transportation to the Alhambra Casino. A wide, white sand beach is just steps across the street. An all inclusive program is available sharing amenities with the neighboring Divi Resorts. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Despegar.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Divi Village Golf And Beach Hotel Oranjestad
- Divi Village Hotel And Beach
- Divi Village Resort And Beach
- Divi Village Aruba
- Divi Village Golf And Beach Resort Aruba/Oranjestad