“One Happy Island” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 9 hotels in Oranjestad
Jacksonville, Florida
“One Happy Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I had a wonderful time at the Divi Dutch Village. My stay was a timeshare exchange through RCI. It was me and a few of my girl friends. We had a two bedroom villa; it was more like a town home. The unit was nice and clean. The only issue I had is that you had to keep the air at a certain temperature or the gas stove would make a noise. Other than that, I had no issues with the unit. The staff was excellent. We arrived a day late and I called the resort to let them know that and to ensure my room would still be available. The staff was super friendly and understanding. When we arrived, check-in took approx 10 min once I got in the desk. They brought us some juice to drink while we waited. The concierge was there to take us to our room and gave us a tour of the resort during our brief golf cart ride. It was nice.

The grounds were lovely. The staff did an excellent job keeping it clean. The beach was warm and or so beautiful. The bartender's were friendly and made excellent drinks. I just explained the taste I was looking for and they had no problems making something to fit my taste buds.

I did say I stayed in the timeshare resort. Divi has many resorts and since we weren't in an ll inclusive resort, we had to pay for a bike rise (6miles). It was $10 and included snorkeling, the snorkeling gear was $10 as well. I believe if you were in an AI, it would have been free. The Divi Dutch had its own activities going on. They had a BBQ for the guests by the pool. It was fun.

The locals were nice and helpful. In just about ever cab we got in the driver gave us a brief history of the island and told us of all the fun things to do. We went downtown, to the high rise area, and on a De Palm sightseeing tour. The entire experience was just wonderful. Aruba will never fail you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

977 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Bloomington, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

If you get there before your room is ready do not let them put your stuff in the "locked" room while you wait, we did and my brother in law got two bottles of alcohol and a carton of cigarettes stole from there, the staff at reception were no help whatsoever, just a dont care attitude, our room was soo damp all our clothes felt wet, we waited over two hours one day to get gas for the grill, having been told the maintenance men were on lunch and the hot tub area was filthy with the trash cans being full of empty food wrappers and covered in ants, there was also a broken glass that sat there for days and only got removed because we reported it .

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
DiviResorts, General Manager at Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Having reviewed your commentary on your recent stay with us, we’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for notifying us of your issues. We're deeply sorry your items were taken from your possession and that your room was so damp. As a resort dedicated to providing superior customer service, we continually strive to best serve our customers during their stay with us. When our efforts fail to meet expectations, it is important that the matter to be brought to our attention so that it can be corrected as soon as possible. And you did this and our management team let you down and I'm sorry for that.

Our efforts in regard to staff training have proven fruitful, as evidenced by the glowing remarks rendered within this site and we appreciate the accolades placed onto our staff and others on the property. Of course, there are those that require a bit more intensive training, and the observations made by you as well as our other guests and patrons will allow us to continue reinforcing the basic aspects of Customer Service to those who’re most in need.

Despite not being pleased with our resort and the way our employees treated you, we do hope that you were able to return home with favorable memories of your stay in Aruba.

Gerrit Griffith
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We chose Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort as part of an RCI exchange. I am so happy we were at the Golf and Beach Resort because it was fairly new. Our condo was in the Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort Residences on the second floor, end unit overlooking the pool and the last golf hole with the ocean within view. I'm sorry I don't remember the unit number but the model was a 1 Bedroom A floor plan. It was well furnished and in pretty good shape, very clean with great housekeeping. I loved sitting on the balcony which was a corner balcony with a view to the west. We could watch the sunset over the ocean. Beautiful!

I would much rather stay where we did than at Dutch Village or Phoenix. Dutch Village is older but on the beach. I didn't mind walking across the road to be on the beach because I'd rather have a new, beautiful place to stay. The Phoenix is further toward the high-rise section of the island and the beach is narrow and crowded where as the beach for Dutch Village and Golf Resort is wide, uncrowded, white sand and clear BEAUTIFUL water.

We really enjoyed the eating at Mulligans for breakfast and lunch occasionally. Food was great and so was the service. We did NOT take the all inclusive meal plan because we have found that it actually costs us more plus meal plans are too inflexible for us. We did eat dinner at Windows on Aruba and it was very good but very pricey. We also at a few meals at Sea Breeze Cafe and it was also good and a bit cheaper.

All the staff was very friendly and helpful. Something I found, though, on Aruba was how different the people are compared to Mexico and other Caribbean islands. They are not pushy at all. We never had anyone on the beach trying to sell us anything. This was so refreshing and even kind of odd feeling in a good way. Since this is a time share resort and we were there on RCI an exchange it was amazing how we were invited to attend their welcome party but that was it. Nobody every bothered us about buying more, etc.

One day we did walk from the Divi Golf and Beach to nearest grocery store. Since it wasn't too far a walk we decided to go on and walk to the downtown of Oranjestad. That was a long walk! We enjoyed it though even if my feet were killing me. We walked back as far as the grocery store and then took a cab back to the resort. Since we had a great kitchen we bought turkey, cheese, bread, Balashi (a great local beer), juice, etc. This did help us save some money. We then would take a fabric cooler to the pool, the beach, or in the car we rented for the day.

We rented a small car for one day which was long enough to drive to Baby Beach, the other side of the island and to the high rise end and the light house.

Suggestions: Baby Beach was just ok. I was actually a bit disappointed in the snorkeling and the sand. I would have preferred to have spent snorkel time at one of the beaches past the high rise area. It looked gorgeous.

Take a insulated fabric cooler with you, go to the grocery store to get snacks, food and drinks. It's very expensive at the restaurants. It was fun to drive to the different beaches and have a picnic.

I usually choose a day or two to do all my shopping for gifts, etc. The day I chose was Jewish holiday and most of the shops in the high rise area were closed. I did not expect this. I'm not sure if the shops in Oranjestad were also closed but plan accordingly.

Eat dinner one night on one of the pier restaurants in the high rise section. Beautiful sunsets!

Room Tip: The Residence condos are beautiful. An end unit, 2nd or 3rd floor facing the ocean even though it...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This property has been hard at working updating the rooms and amenities! They have added a beautiful golf course! There are 4 pools! ( One with a slide and bar) They have wonderful beach chairs and plenty of umbrellas at all the pools. More beach huts have been added to the beach area and there are plenty of chairs. There is a hair and nail salon within the Divi family of hotels and a great message area. They are on the beach. They rent kayaks and other water equipment. There is a climbing area. Divi village has added 2 more great restaurants. Window on Aruba has an amazing view of the beach and the gold area. Mulligan’s is less formal and has great views. Both restaurants serve great food and work hard to provide multi lingual service. The waiters can speak Spanish, Dutch, and English without any problems. This property has built a beautiful new welcome center with an ice cream /coffee bar. They have also opened a small shop for last minute essentials. It is a wonder gem that is working hard to provide great service. It is work a visit!

Room Tip: pool view or beach view are best. A room with the washer/dryer in the room is very nice
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dorking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I cannot recommend Aruba and this resort highly enough. We visited in July 2012 and the holiday was amazing. We stayed at the Tamarijn All Inclusive Suites and received a free upgrade to a one bedroomed apartment - it was huge and very very comfortable. We walked up the beach to the Divi Dutch Village where the bar was nicer and the restaurants were much better - it's still All Inclusive so no charges or costs!

Room Tip: Stay at the Tamarijn All Inclusive Suites for bigger rooms and walk up the beach to the Dutch Villag...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Greenwood, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We spent Fall Break at the Divi Golf Villas with our 3 children (14, 12, and 8). We chose the all inclusive option which was great for me, no cooking for an entire week! Compared to other all-inclusive resorts, we found this to be very affordable. That being said, this is not a 5 star resort but very nice and clean for the price. The grounds were beautiful with plenty of options for dining. It was a short walk or shuttle ride to the beach. We have traveled to several islands and this was the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. Clear turquoise water with powdery white sand. The staff and locals were all friendly. We felt safe on and off the resort. There were plenty of options for activities but you have to do a little research to find the when, where and how. There is a rock climbing wall on certain days, snorkel equipment can be borrowed and a wind surfing clinic is offered if weather permits. There are time shares for sale here, but we never felt pressured to hear a sales pitch.

Room - We were on the second floor over-looking the infinity pool and golf course. Our 1 bedroom suite was slightly "worn" but spacious with full kitchen, 2 full bathrooms, and flat screen TV's. Daily maid service was also included. The first floor rooms walk out to the pool, which I would have preferred since there is no elevator.

Restaurants - Our favorites were the SeaBreeze (Buffet Breakfast) the Sandpiper Bar (Lunch on the beach) and the Red Parrot or Mulligan's for dinner. Room service is not included in the all inclusive price.

Overall - I would stay at the Golf Villas again. The staff from housekeeping to management was always friendly, helpful and prompt. Aruba is beautiful. The airport is modern and easy to navigate. We went to the shops in Oranjestad and the newer "high rise area" with our children and felt safe and welcomed by the locals.

Room Tip: First floor facing the infinity pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We actually stayed at the Divi Village this time which is apart of the Divi Village Golf, but on the right side when you enter the property....It definitely wasn't the same as our previous units on the Golf side thats for sure. It was clean, but the kitchen didn't have a dishwasher or oven...and seemed limited on supplies...it felt like things were missing from the basic kitchen supplies.... We had alot of problems with our fridge....we called twice because it simply wasn't keeping cold....it was quite disappointing to have our lettuce and strawberries soften and go bad....And it just meant our food wouldn't stay cold, like a fridge should do....Our toilet plugged a few times, and we most of the channels on the TV were fuzzy and while we didn't spend alot time watching TV...its nice to keep up with news late at night or super early in the morning.

The good parts were the location to the beach and the overall resort amenities. The beach is very nicely maintained... We always found loungers at the pool, we always were able to exchange our towels when we needed to, and I was able to make use of the gym, its small, but had what i needed....The oceanview bar had a daily happy hour...a great way to enjoy the sunset :)

Our was alot closer to the beach then in previous units we had....and simply love spending our time in Aruba and its why we keep going back to the Divi...this is in fact our 4th time at this property....we would go back, but hopefully this was all just coincidence because we had an amazing week!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!