“A Dump” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
East Rockaway, New York
“A Dump”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We made our reservation through a swap with our Interval timeshare. We had an efficiency unit. Took almost an hour to check in. Room faced the parking lot which was on the main road. No window. One chair. Pile of garbage outside. We asked for a change or an upgrade but they had nothing. Told us to check back in morning. Went down the road the Bucuti and they could not have been nicer. Got a beautiful room and had a great week. Stay away.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Divi golf has alot to offer. Clean and well appointed rooms. Nice 9 hole golf. Great pools. Large property ample shuttle service to get you around. Did not play tennis but courts looked good as well. Food on property was good and great restaurants less than10 minutes away.

• Stayed July 2012
Elizabeth, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Just got back from an 8 day vacation in Aruba with my children and grandchildren and Loved the Island, would go back but not to the DIVI DUTCH VILLAGE....First off I requested a 2 bedroom unit of which they said "NONE AVAILABLE...so I booked 2 one-bedrooms with the request that if a 2 bedroom becomes avail to let me know..upon check in I asked again the gentleman went in the back stayed there for 10 mins. came back and said sorry all booked up...check in took literally 42 mins...I was a bit upset as its MY vacation and we had 2 babies waiting in the van..also when I made my reservation I requested a crib and Highchair...to no avail..I was charged when I paid upfront and had to wait again for them to confirm the crib..we get into the units and my daughters unit is a 2 bedroom but with the 2nd bedroom locked out...I went over again to the front desk and they werent aware of it and had to go in the back again gone for another 5-6 mins to check..came back and said it was booked for another guest..and why would I want that 2bedroom it was smaller than having 2 One bedrooms..I told them I didnt care about the space cared more about being together to help my daughter with the babies..Our unit had mold in the bathroom on the ceiling and shower walls, there was chipped paint on the closet doors and bedroom doors, along with chipped stain on kitchen cabinets...the units were runned down and in need of updating..furniture was all worn also..after 3 days and hearing no one in the second bedroom I went back to front desk and spoke with a woman who said the original guest never showed up and I proceeded to ask if we could change and she said 'NO you booked 2 One bedroom units and I cant change you"...you will have less space...I proceeded to tell her Let me make the decisions on how I spend my MONEY...I asked for a manager and waited another 10 mins before she came out to say the same thing..I told her I felt I was lied to about the availabilty of the 2bedroom and it was much more expensive for the 2 one bedrooms..I asked why would they lead me to believe I could get the 2 bedroom at check in then give it to us as a one bedroom with the second bedroom locked out..Plain and simple THEY WANTED MORE MONEY FROM ME...the workers at the Divi front desk are very very slow...and not pleasant..they should'nt be, as they are the ones making a first impression with a guest..Another thing, long distance calling is a SCAM..I repeat its a SCAM...I had to make a call to payroll so I tried the first time and didnt get through..same thing happened a second time...so the third time I thought I had to stay on longer and waited for it to ring for 10 mins..didnt get through and was charged for all three calls amounting to over $42.00..upon check out I complained and again the woman proceeded to go in the back and check with a supervisor, she was gone for 15mins...came back and said cant do anything about it...My husband complained and explained all 3 calls didnt go through she went in the back again for another 5 mins came back and said the same garbage..I asked for the supervisor and she finally came out, wasn't very nice and said "why did you stay on the phone if nothing was happening...I told her I was waiting for the phone to ring it did Once and then stopped..she said she could only take the one call of $3.00 off...ITS ALL A PHONE SCAM TO MAKE MONEY...THE WORKERS THERE AT THE FRONT DESK ARE DISHONEST..I WILL NEVER EVER STAY THERE AGAIN...The one positive about the place was the Infinity pool at the Divi GOLF and Beach with the nice swim up bar..that is why they get the 2 stars otherwise it would be 1 star..you cant get a hut or lounge chairs on the beach unless you reserve it very early in the morning...6.30 7.00 AM..Loved Aruba will go back but not at the DIVI...also talked to Timeshare owners at the pool and they complained of MOLD and had to move to another unit..they were promised that the units would be updated every 5 years and they are not keeping the promises...I must admit that my husband and I were thinking of purchasing a time share there and my friends brother has a few at the Divi Dutch but NO WAY now..I was totally disgusted on how the front desk handles things and also the conditions of the units...I will take my money elsewhere..

Room Tip: Go somewhere else....
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
DiviResorts, General Manager at Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Having reviewed your commentary on your recent stay with us, we’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for notifying us of your observations. As a resort dedicated to providing superior customer service, we continually strive to best serve our customers during their stay with us. When our efforts fail to meet expectations, it is important that the matter to be brought to our attention so that it can be corrected as soon as possible. And you did this and our management team let you down and I'm sorry for that.

Our efforts in regard to staff training have proven fruitful, as evidenced by the glowing remarks rendered within this site and we appreciate the accolades placed onto our staff and others on the property. Of course, there are those that require a bit more intensive training, and the observations made by you as well as our other guests and patrons will allow us to continue reinforcing the basic aspects of Customer Service to those who’re most in need.

Despite not being pleased with our resort and the way it treated you, we do hope that the remainder of your stay on island was pleasant enough and that you were able to return home with favorable memories of your stay on Aruba.
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

During the week of August 5th throught the 12th, my friend and I stayed at the Divi Village and Golf resort in Aruba. This was our second trip to Aruba, our 1st being some 5 years previous. My overall review of this particular resort is that it was fairly average as far as beach resorts go. The resort did honor my request of putting us on a high floor with a nice view of the beach. I had made this request several weeks prior to our arrival on the island. The unit we received was a 2 bedroom split level condo with balconies on both levels. Whenever I travel, I make it a point to not stay on the ground floor for the sole purpose of security. No matter how safe or secure a resort states their facilities are, I assume the worst and try not to make access to my unit any easier by being on the ground floor. I have heard too many horror stories about unit burglaries of ground floor units by either the locals or even resort staff, regardless of the resort. I will say that while we had no problems with intruders, I thought it was odd that we received visits from two resort staff members who after answering the door, was told by said staff members that they had the wrong unit. One was a maintainance guy with a plunger in hand that stated he got a call for a stopped up toilet and the other was a security officer that stated that he was responding to a call about a suspicious person. If I was not an overly cautious individual, I would not think to wonder if these visits were just made to see if we were in our unit during the time frame that they dropped by. No doubt, these staff members could have gained access to our unit if they so desired, under the guise of their initial inquiries. Of course, I could just be over reacting, it just seemed odd that it happened twice during the middle of the day when most of the units are empty and guests are either at the pool or the beach, or even on a tour for the day.
Getting back to the unit itself, the kitchen was small and cramped and was lacking, or so I thought, in that there was no complimentary coffee, creamers, or salt and pepper dispensers. Both bedrooms were upstairs and each had a bathroom next to them. The master bedroom had a balcony and the master bath had both a toilet and a bidet. The master bath also had a jaccuzi tub/shower. The other bathroom had a single shower stall with a half glass wall and open entryway. The water pressure in both units was pretty enemic, though if you stayed in long enough, you could get clean with some effort on your part. I did not get the impression that the cleaning staff put a whole lot of effort into making sure the units were thoroughly cleaned prior to checkin. I noticed hair on the floor of my bathroom and some dust bunnies in my room. There was only one ice machine for the building and it was on the third floor. Signs indicating where things were located were sorely lacking. There was construction on one of the elevators for the building during our stay, but the other elevator was in good working order and we found no problems with it. The pool for our building was small, though it looked inviting. We used the swimming pool closer to the golf course as it had a swim up bar and was larger. The food at the on site restaurant, Mulligan's, was decent, though pricey. Most of the local restaurants in the area were pricey and dinner for two was generally close to $100.00 US or there abouts. The resort is located across the street from a very nice, clean beach, but signs indicating rough surf and breaks was present. All of our beach time for water activities was spent at other beaches north of our resort. The resort charges a fee for energy usage, though I don't believe it was based on our individual unit usage, rather, a flat fee for every unit. I don't know if this is new for resorts in general for Aruba, but I think it's a crock. Energy usage should be a part of doing business in the trading of timeshare units and not another excuse for adding to to the till of any given resort. In addition to paying RCI for the trade, I was hit with an equally matched bill from the resort to include island taxes and energy usage. I doubt that I will stay at this resort again, as I was not that impressed with the overall experience and my stay at the Marriott Surf club on my previous visit was far better. It is also the only other resort on this particular island for which I am able to make a comparison. But then again, the other resort was a Marriott property.

Room Tip: Pick a high floor with beach view if you want quiet evenings with nice views.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Delphos, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Our family of 4 (kids age 15 and 11) just returned from this beautiful resort. We stayed for 9 nights in a 1 bedroom suite that was the most appealing room we've ever been in for vacation. Our room overlooked the swimming pool with waterslide and we felt very safe. Our room had a complete kitchen and a washer/dryer, along with 2 bathrooms. The only complaint we had with the room was that hot water was hit and miss - despite 2 calls for repair, we often had to leave the water running for 10-15 minutes to achieve luke warm. Our family was on the all-inclusive plan booked through cheapcaribbean.com and we would recommend this.

We found the swim-up bar to be convenient for snacks and drinks. Bartenders were cordial - not overly friendly (and yes we tipped well). We rarely had a problem finding a lounge chair, regardless of the time of day.

We rented a vehicle from Hertz (on the property) and would definitely recommend a vehicle for vacationers - it made things very convenient for us. We also used the concierge to make dinner reservations and book trips to DePalm Island (recommend the half day - very nice) and horseback riding with Rancho Ponderosa (highly recommend and we are not horse people). Again, the concierge is cordial, but not extroverted.

Breakfast - we tried the buffet at Sea Breeze the first two days - food was typical of an American Buffet; service was poor and indifferent. We ate a Mulligan's for 5 breakfasts - we loved this restaurant and highly recommend it for any meal of the day. Service was solid and variety of food is good.

Lunch - we tried Mulligan's, swim up bar, and Sea Breeze - again, Mulligan's was our favorite

Dinner - we ate at the Red Parrott (located in the Divi All-Inclusive) on 2 occasions and enjoyed it very much. Service was good, as was the food. We also ate at Papparazzi twice ( Italian food located at the Tamarijn) - food and service were solid. We tried Ginger (Asian located at the Tam) one time - food was good, service poor. We also ate at Mulligans 3 times for dinner and enjoyed it every time. As a side note - we had one dinner at Aquarius located at the Renaissance downtown for their nightly seafood buffet - King Crab legs, lobster tails, large shrimp, etc - and a good variety for those not wanting seafood. We would definitely return to this restaurant again.

We booked the semi-submersible submarine on our own and enjoyed the trip. We also did several snorkel trips on our own, as the best locations were not difficult to find.

The golf cart shuttle service provided by the resort was also efficient. We would definitely consider returning to this property.

In the past, we have visited Hawaii, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and the typical USA vacation spots with our family. Aruba did not disappoint. Very beautiful island with stunning scenery and cordial people. Weather was consistent (windy) and we felt safe on the resort and off. We have found other vacation destinations to be more service friendly, but this is not to say that Aruba was poor in this category. We will definitely return in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Me and my new hubby stayed here on our honeymoon and had a wonderful time. If you're going for the beach you won't be disappointed! It's beautiful! Whilst we were there we met another English couple who had been around most of the Caribbean and they reckon Aruba had the nicest sand they'd seen.
We were a little nervous about staying at the Dutch Village as opposed to the Tamarijn suites due to some of the bad comments about it needing updating, cleanliness etc. Admittedly the stairwell looks tired with cracked tiles, but on going into our room it was fab! We live in an apartment at home and it was nearly as big. Huge bedroom, seperate living area with kitchen and dining room, it was like a home away from home. The maids came every day to clean and did a great job. We were overlooking the middle pool where all the iguanas lived, they kept us so entertained!
There are quite a lot people who own time shares at the dutch village or have generally come on a self catered holiday. We'd booked as part of an all inclusive basis which not a lot of people seemed to be here which was great as we got the perks of an all inclusive and only dutch village guests can use the 3 freshwater pools so its really quiet, as opposed to the busy pool at the tamarijn.
The sunbeds at the beach is a bit of saga. You do need to be up at the crack of dawn (7am) to get one as they'll all have towels on by 7.30am. However whilst we normally lie in on holidays and have late night's, we found we were getting up early and only having a few late night's, so it wasn't a huge problem.
There isn't much on the resort of a night. They do put on entertainment till 10.30ish (which I'd recommend going to the Divi part of the resort for much nicer bar etc to sit around) but then most guests seemed to go to bed. We didn't mind this though as we quite liked playing tennis early in the morning when the heat is bearable for sports, or rockclimbing. Igmar (one of the funmakers, better known as Iggy) is an absolute legend! I hadn't succeeded on the wall and it was my 3rd or 4th day trying and Iggy was the helper. He coached me through it all the way to the top on my first go, but made it so much fun!! What a personality :-) You need to bring your trainers if you do rockclimbing.
I'd seriously recommend hiring a car for a day or two to explore the island in your own time. It's not that big, we went from north to south stopping off at sites in a day. Car rental is from say $80 a day for an economy but unless your in a big party this'll be fine to get around. A lot of the excursions are $100 plus per person and your only ever normally out for 4-6 hours. You can't really get lost driving, and it wouldn't matter if you did as its such a small island. Very much recommend seeing the donkey sanctuary if you like donkeys (free to get in), and snorkelling at baby beach.
One morning we got the bus up to the high rise and walked back along the beach front. We had stayed at the Rui Palace Riviera Maya in Mexico 3yrs ago, but the Palace in Aruba is so much more built up. I thought from the outside it looked a bit like a prison! The beach in the high rise is beautiful but really bustling with sunloungers all next to each other (wonder what time they have to get up there to get one?) Judging by the amount of people there very early! Whilst it is hard to get a lounger at our resort the beach is so quiet and spread out. It's so idyllic for a chilled holiday. If you couldn't get one well we went to our pool for the morning where you could always get a spec, and just went to the beach around 3pm.
If you were after more nightlife, the high rise is great of a night. We payed $9 in cab (about 5-10mins drive) for 5 of us, so quite cheap.
The food at the resort is alright. We found the buffet great for breakfast and lunch but its best to go to one of the restaurants for tea. Be warned, you do have to be up early (7.45-8am) to get reservations for ginger particularly. I'd say the best one is the Red Parrot over on the Divi end of the resort. If you like meat the butcher melange is the way to go! It's delicious! Ginger is very nice but not very authentic Asian cuisine. Didn't like Paparazzi much, very bland although the tiramisu was gorgeous. De Palm grill is nice but you sit effectively in the buffet restaurant and if your're in a couple you will be put on a table with others. Food's not bad but the hot plates you cook off make it so hot!
Overall, I agree its not the most luxurious resort, but we had a very relaxing, problem free honeymoon which is what we wanted. I think its ideally located between the town (Oranjestad) and the High Rise area so if you're looking for more action, its never far away, yet you can escape it staying here. We loved the privacy you get staying at the dutch village, where you have people walking infront of your room all day at the Tamarijn, plus you literally just get a room there whilst we had a whole apartment. The beach is beautiful, great for snorkelling and watching the pelicans fish all day long. Fabulous holiday!!

• Stayed July 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

The Divi low rise area is a combination of several resorts in the low-rise area of Aruba. We stayed in a two bedroom penthouse apartment at Divi Golf and Beach resort. It overlooked the beachside pool and had a view of the beach across the street. It had been updated and had two king beds and a pull out sofa along with kitchen and three bathrooms. This was different from our expectations, as I had previously seen that two bed apartments had two single beds in the second bedroom. Our teens had to share a bed, but got over it.

Pros: Great location, good on-site restaurants (we enjoyed Mulligans... good food and reasonable prices,) choice of pools, close to the beach and bus stops, golf cart shuttle around the place, unlimited beach towel exchange.

Cons: Housekeeping was lame and the entryways were a but grubby. The elevator was extremely smelly so much so that we walked upstairs to the fifth floor in preference. They are in the middle of renovating the other elevator and hope that this one is next. Poor tv reception which wouldn't be a priority for us on a vacation except that the Olympics were on while we were in Aruba.

Activity Highlights: Mi Dushi afternoon snorkel safari. We also rented a 4x4 jeep for a day. Expensive, but cheaper than paying for four of us to go on a tour. The windward side of the island is so different and worth the adventure. Flying Fishbone restaurant at sunset was fab.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!