“Tricky to find but glad we did!!! !!! Get the Fish Chowder !!!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 167 Restaurants in Oranjestad
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Caribbean, Portuguese
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Gostoso a local favorite restaurant, that serve a blend of both Portuguese and Aruban Cuisine, which is designed to delight even the most discriminating Palate. With our cozy and small atmosphere and impeccable service at a reasonable price “Gostoso Restaurante” will be your next favorite neighborhood Restaurant.
Burlington, Vermont
“Tricky to find but glad we did!!! !!! Get the Fish Chowder !!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Go here for the food (which was very good!!) - décor inside felt a little odd...the walls had some incredibly tacky pictures, plates...things that people sell in a tag sale and later toss because nobody wanted it - basically the inside could use a bit of a face-lift (if I were to be honest with TA readers). That said...please know the food should be your focus and don't hesitate to visit this local favorites foodie spot.
Ok...back to the food - the owner had an extensive menu that all sounded great which made choosing dinner a bit difficult. Overall the food was great - Fish was very nice and the stuffed chicken was equally good...the highlight and was blown away by...the fish chowder (as an appetizer) - believe me when I say it might very well have been the best I've ever had !!!! it had such ridiculous flavor, velvety rich but not overly heavy. Get it and you'll see what I mean.
The owner was very friendly and passionate about his establishment.
give it a go!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Best local restaurant.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Take a taxi !!!! But this is the best local food and great service in town. All the other reviews are accurate. Just do it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Iowa
“Five stars - even for foodies!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Let's face it, a lot of Aruba restaurants are getting five star reviews on trip-advisor. Some are worthy of five stars, considering they're reaching their goal (eg, Pizza Bob's is pretty good pizza and a fun atmosphere) - but few are truly amazing finds with "five star food". Gostoso is an amazing find with truly impressive cuisine. The plantain sushi is such a brilliantly delicious idea. The stoba sauce is something I will dream about. The fish is perfect. But perhaps most telling; the side vegetables were perfectly blanched and served in a homemade brown sugar (I suspect) sauce. This kind of attention to detail isn't something I've experienced elsewhere on the island. The table sauce is so good you'll ask to take some home, the service is great (did I mention the owner is detail oriented in the kitchen AND runs the front house?), and the prices much friendlier than anything in Palm/Eagle Beach. The place is a little hard to find and isn't advertised, but every taxi driver knows it because it's a local favorite also. I can't give enough praise to this place; just go there and try it.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York
“Best restaurant on the Island!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband and I were in Aruba May of 2012 for our honeymoon. we loved the restaurant so much that we went 3 times during our two week stay! My husband tried many dishes, but I am a bit picky so I had Chilean sea bass each time cooked a different way and it was out of this world. The sangria was great and the appetizers were to die for. Yu must try the sushi roll!!!!! The owner is great, he greets you every time. We even see locals eat here. Don't miss this hidden gem! I can't wait to return.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My wife and I actually went 2 - times in the same week. The food was excellent the 1st time so we just had to go back.Last year we wanted to go and after 2 attempts we were unable to find it and we were very disappointed.But this year i got the directions from the bellman @ the Radisson and they were dead on. It is actually easy to find.Coming from the high rise hotels after passing the Valero gas station downtown make a left just before bus station, then straight thru 1st traffic circle and when you reach 1st set of lights make a right. Then go thru 1 set of lights to a traffic circle and make a hard right. Down that street about 1/2 mile & Gostoso is there on your left. Its about 15 minutes from high rise hotel. I noticed 1 of the complaints on trip advisor is that it hard to find but using these simple directions its easy and very much worth the trip. The sushi appitizer they make is outstanding probably nothing like you have ever had. It is shrimp or crab or salmon
whatever you prefer wrapped in a plantain w/ some kind of a coating on it then deep fried it is awesome! In fact everyting is awesome @ Gostoso. Jose the owner will come to your table and describe all the specials to you along w/ any questions you may have about the regular menu. When he is through your mouth will be watering believe me. And actually the 2nd night we went and Jose described the specials for that night & our mouths were watering again only this time we allready knew how great the food was. Also the staff are also very nice and very hard working! I could go on for ever about this place my best suggestion would be to try it YOU WONT BE SORRY

• Visited April 2013