“Great Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Oranjestad
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Great Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2014

We stayed here for 1 night this past weekend. A hidden gem. Room was clean and tidy, Great large shower. It has a very nice pool area where you can sit and have some food or drinks... One of the nice things is that it is not in the noisy tourist area. This is a place where you can sit and have a peacefull trip with not a lot of noise. Room has a fridge which is nice as you can put your own drinks in there. Only small negative was that the bartender could not make a rum runner !! however not a big deal , we had local draft beer instead which was good

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the SOuth Side
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2014

We stayed in the two bedroom suite and it was perfect. Hotel is close to everything, beach, downtown, airport, restaurants, bars and attractions. The staff is super friendly and make you feel welcomed and appreciated. The breakfast buffet is plentiful and delicious. We also had dinner and the food was amazing. Rooms and all areas of the hotel were spotless. Overall a great hidden secret for those who want to stay away from the larger hotels. We will definitely return.

Stayed September 2014
Caracas, Venezuela
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night on business. Lobby and pool area are simple but nice. Room was outdated, furniture old and in bad shape, specially in the bathroom. Cleanliness was dissapointing too, there was an old piece of gum in my bathtub. Area is away from most restaurants (there are a couple nearby), drugstores, grocery stores, etc. i got there late at night and the only option available was a food truck across the street. The hotel has no ATM.

Pros: close to airport if you are on transit, fast WIFI connection, breakfast is included and is pretty decent, staff was alright.

Cons: cleanliness, rooms and bathrooms are outdated and old, not many alternatives to eat nearby, no ATM

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Newberg, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I was traveling on buisness and stayed for a week. The hotel is between the airport and town, you don;t get into the town traffic if you are driving. I had a nice room with a back door that opened to the pool area. The air conditioner worked but it would have been nice to have been able to turn it down a notch or two, but of an evening is was ok. I only ate one meal at the resteraunt, it was good. The price seemd to be good for the area.
I like to try different resteraunts. The West Deck was great. It is about one mile down the road toward town. The staff was very friendly and I returned for a second time. The meals are large appitizers/tapas, or there are some entres.

The problem I had with the hotel is that I like to sit out in the cool night air and enjoy a drink of an evening......BUT there is a church or beach club or somthing behind the hotel that has large, VERY loud speakers that people are yelling over or playing LOUD music. Drive you back inside your room. I see enough insides of buildings. Luckely, the my room had good insulation for sound. Not a place to stay if you want a nice quite evening outside or at the pool.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I'll start by saying that I don't usually write reviews unless something is really off. That's exactly what this hotel was. I walked in, super excited and ready to check-in. The lady at the front desk ignored me and continued talking to her friend. I waited for their conversation to end and for the friend to step aside before I stepped up to the desk. Once I was there, the lady proceeded to ignore me and walked off to the side with the friend she had just been talking to. SO RUDE. So I am still waiting and she finally decides to give me the time of day. She says good afternoon to which I reply, "Hi, ---- checking in. Her response was a big, "I said Good afternoon." Really? Really?? I am pretty sure I'd been standing there for over 15 minutes without her even looking at me. She has a nasty attitude and someone needs to put her in her place!

Needless to stay I will NEVER stay here again. As someone who travels frequently for business, I am also letting my colleagues know about this awful and dirty hotel! I am not wasting another cent on this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Just save yourself the hassle of dealing with BonQuiQui at the front desk!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Oulton Broad, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on business for 3 night. Rooms are a little dated, but comfortable and clean. Aircon was noisy though.
Good nights sleep. Food was ok, but predictable. The kitchen isn't brilliant, sometimes the fries seemed old.
Bar staff sometimes pre-occupied amongst themselves.
But, everything said this is still a very good hotel, and very convienient for the airport.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
East Falmouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed one night at Talk of the Town on our way from Bonaire back to the USA and wanted a place close to the airport and our room was showing signs of age. Paint was peeling, door did not shut tightly and could see light around two edges, bath room fixtures were old and very worn, and overall it is in need of a major overhaul. Other reviews said to ask for a renovated room, but none were available for our night on 2/17/14. The staff was very friendly and quick to answer questions and give advice on where to eat and getting us a taxi for our ride back to the airport. Breakfast was included and you get what you pay for, unfortunately the scrambled eggs were cold, the potato and onion combo was cold, the breads and pastries were stale and the coffee too strong. The beach club is across the street and is lovely white powdery sand with availability of drinks and food at the local bar and restaurant adjacent to the beach. Your nights stay includes use of the beach lounges but if you want an umbrella for the time, it is an extra charge. There is music playing, mostly loudly, but some good local talent singing, but remember being right next to the airport, they do turn it up to drone out the jets. It is a good beach for a swim and to sit and enjoy the fine Aruba weather. The hotel provides beach towels at the main desk, but be sure to return them there as well, otherwise you will be charged for them. We dined at Pinchos, just down the beach and it is fantastic and easy safe walking distance from Talk of the Town. You can make reservations on line, but they fill up quickly and we didnt get one , but sat and had dinner at the bar with an incredible view of the sunset. Overall it is just an average place and if your expectations are not too high, then this will fit your needs.

Room Tip: Most definitely ask for a renovated room. Our older room overlooked the pool and was quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Talk of the Town Hotel & Beach Club? Share your experiences!